Topic: New Ultrasound Results- Worried about "indistinct margins"

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: May 5, 2022 06:49PM

Posted on: May 5, 2022 06:49PM

clark1304 wrote:

Hello- I am a 46 year old female who went for a call back ultrasound today. I have dense breasts and have had two biopsies in the past (with clips); all previous findings have been benign. This is a new finding (my mammogram almost exactly a year ago was clear with no need for a call back). I am going back for a biopsy on May 12th. I did look back at my older biopsies to see if similar language was used in my ultrasound findings and some of it was consistent "round" or "oval" "partially circumscribed margins" "hyperechoic", etc. However, this is the first time I've seen "partially indistinct" mentioned in an ultrasound report which is making me more nervous than the previous times. Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated! My biopsy is not until May 12th which feels like an eternity away now.

Order Information
Ordering ProviderResult Date

May 5, 2022
Study Result

Narrative & Impression

Indication:

Questioned focal left asymmetry on recent screening mammogram.

TECHNIQUE:

Digital Mammography and tomosynthesis were used to obtain images. Computer Aided Detection was used to aid in interpretation. Real-time ultrasound was performed using a high-frequency linear array transducer.

COMPARISON:

Comparison is made with relevant prior imaging in PACS.

Density: The breast tissue is heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses

FINDINGS:

Left Breast:

An oval equal density mass with partially circumscribed and partially indistinct margins is confirmed in the upper outer breast at posterior depth.

Targeted ultrasound examination was performed. In the 2:00 position 8 cm from the nipple, there is a 0.6 x 0.5 x 0.5 cm round hypoechoic mass with partially circumscribed and partially indistinct margins. Ultrasound-guided biopsy is recommended.

IMPRESSION:

Left Breast: 0.6 cm left breast 2:00 position mass.

Left Assessment: BI-RADS 4 Suspicious Finding.

Left Recommendation: Left Ultrasound Biopsy

Left Recommendations Due Date: To Be Scheduled

Results were discussed with the patient at the time of the study. A biopsy is recommended and will be scheduled.

OVERALL Assessment: BI-RADS 4 Suspicious Finding.

The recommendation above has been entered into a reminder system to monitor and facilitate patient compliance.

Read by: Log in to post a reply

Page 2 of 2 (19 results)

May 7, 2022 05:15AM rah2464 wrote:

Clark1304 - glad you got an earlier slot. And I wouldn't read a thing into it. They know how stressful this is, and offered you a cancellation spot. How wonderful and caring to do so. Hang in there and sending best wishes for benign fatty tissue!

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 9, 2022 09:28AM clark1304 wrote:

Cathy- I'm hoping your results on Friday are benign! I didn't realize you were also waiting on results right now. I've really appreciated your responses here and your insights. Praying for the best.

I just got back from my appointment and I have good news. It was a cyst! The doctor said they were concerned because it had appeared solid and not fluid on the u/s and because of the irregular margins. But, they said they would first try to aspirate before moving on to the biopsy. They fairly quickly identified it as a cyst because it aspirated right away and we didn't need to move ahead with the biopsy. Even though I have had two of these biopsies in the past, this was the first time I cried tears of relief after learning the results. We lost my very young SIL to an aggressive form of leukemia not even a year ago. She was all I could think about...I didn't want to put my husband and family through something like that again so soon. And, I kept thinking about how scared she must have felt for the 22 months that she was fighting. I explained why I was so emotional to the doctor and tech. They gave me a box of tissues (and said they would have hugged me if COVID protocols allowed). I was in and out of the appointment in about 45 minutes and left with a feeling of relief and gratitude. And, I'm another example of why not googling your u/s reports is wise. You make so many "negotiations" in your mind when you go through something even as minor as what I did..."if the results are benign, I will x, y, z". I tend to always live life to the fullest for many reasons, but after leaving today I kept wishing there were a way to bottle this relief and the appreciation for life. And, on my drive home, I thought of all of you ladies who are battling cancer. I know there are many other women here who have not had the same outcome and the fact that you are willing to come on here to support and help reassure/calm fears for others like me in my situation speaks volumes. Thank you so much.

May 9, 2022 09:38AM cathy67 wrote:

clark1304,

Great news!!! That is another example that irregular shape could be benign.

I hope technology can move forward to avoid uncessary worries.

Cathy

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/26/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 9, 2022 01:48PM clark1304 wrote:

Thank you, Cathy! Will you updated on your results here when you receive them?

May 9, 2022 01:51PM cathy67 wrote:

clark1304,

I will.

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/26/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2022 05:18AM rah2464 wrote:

Clark - Great news! How wonderful

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 10, 2022 07:24AM moderators wrote:

Awesome news, Clark! Thank you for posting to let everyone know.

Best wishes,

From the Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

May 10, 2022 03:46PM - edited May 10, 2022 03:47PM by oceanmd

clark1304,

So happy for you for receiving good news. I can completely relate to the feeling of relief, and thank you again for supporting me on my ultrasound anxiety day.

Thank you to all the women for such a great community with wealth of information.

May 14, 2022 11:56AM cathy67 wrote:

clark1304,

I got it yesterday, it is normal, so relax, but it is already one month from my biopsy order.

Enjoy everyday, and always support this form and ladies here.

Cathy

Page 2 of 2 (19 results)

Scroll to top button