Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Developing Asymmetric Density Concern on the Mammogram

oceanmd
oceanmd Member Posts: 3
edited May 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Good morning ladies,

I had my screening mammogram with the report below. It was compared to 2017 and 2020 mammograms. I am 57 yo, my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at 41 and passed away 25 years later from it.

I am going back for ultrasound. If further tests are required:

1. can I request MRI first

2. can I request to observe it to 6 months before biopsy, if biopsy is suggested.

Impression: Assessment incomplete. There is a small developing asymmetric density in the upper-outer quadrant of the right breast which should be further characterized with ultrasound.

Report: Breast density is heterogeneous. In the upper-outer quadrant of the right breast in approximately the 11 o'clock position at posterior depth about 8 cm from the nipple there is a developing circumscribed round 0.4 cm asymmetric density. This is probably superficially located close to the skin. This is centered on craniocaudal tomosynthesis image 55/59 and mediolateral oblique tomosynthesis image 48/59.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,813
    edited May 2022

Hi oceanmd, and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so very sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're so glad you've found us. We just wanted to let you know we're thinking of you and sending good thoughts for your ultrasound results.

Others will be by shortly to weigh in with their experience, but advocating for yourself to ask for an MRI doesn't sound outlandish. From there, you'll have a better picture about whether or not you'd like to ask for a watch-and-wait method.

Please keep us posted on your results!

--The Mods

• clark1304
    clark1304 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2022

I have never been diagnosed with breast cancer and I have dense breasts. My asymmetries which were either fibroids or cysts; I have had two biopsies and one cyst aspiration (yesterday!) and my masses have ultimately always been described as round or oval and circumscribed. I don't know if they provided you with a BIRADS score, but I'm guessing it's either a 0 or a 4 which is what mine have always been in the past. I hope this helps. But, given your family history (I'm so sorry about your sister), I would advocate for a baseline MRI which is advice I've been given here, as well. Best of luck and keep us posted!

• oceanmd
    oceanmd Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2022

moderators and clark1304,

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I just came back from an Ultrasound visit, and it turned out to be a round cyst of 0.36 cm, which I actually can feel because it is right under the skin. I felt it since last summer and completely dismissed it thinking that it is just something small and insignificant. I learnt my lesson that any change needs to be take seriously.

Thank you, ladies, again for your words of support and encouragement.

• clark1304
    clark1304 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2022

So glad that it was just a cyst! That's great news!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,813
    edited May 2022

oceanmd, Thanks for updating us. We're so glad to hear it was benign!

Wishing you all the best,

The Mods