Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Clear discharge, moving on to second look US

momofmnj
momofmnj Member Posts: 1
edited May 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi Everyone! I am new here. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with clear, unilateral, single duct discharge. It’s been happening about 5 months now. My mammo and US were normal, then was sent for a breast MRI which I had last Friday. Next Wednesday, I will be having a second look US and biopsy. I wanted to share my MRI results to see if anyone understands what “mixed kinetics” are. Here is my results:

LEFT BREAST: 5 mm focus of enhancement within the retroareolar left breast

(7/39). This demonstrates mixed kinetics.

FINAL ASSESSMENT:

BI-RADS 4 - Suspicious

RECOMMENDATION:

MRI Directed Ultrasound With Possible Ultrasound Core Biopsy. Recommend

surgical consultation for patient's reported left-sided clear nipple

discharge. If surgical intervention is not clinically warranted, six-month

follow-up MRI may be considered.

Right breast was clear except for scattered bilateral <5 mm foci

Any insight is appreciated

Holly

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2022

Dear momofmnj,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that these breast changes have brought you here. We are glad that you reached out. While waiting for some members to offer their experiences you may want to check out this topic on Common symptom Questions. You may find some help there. You can also use the search function in the tool bar and type in the words "mixed kinetics" - be sure to use quotes. This will lead you to others who have posted this question. You can always reach out to them via private message. Let us know how we can further assist you here.

The Mods

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 251
    edited May 2022

Hi momo,

The MRI is sensitive to find lots of false-positives. I had a single-duct discharge on my left breast. The area of enhancement was not found on mammogram or US. It was found on MRI. Biopsy confirmed benign findings. A suspicious finding is not always cancer. The great thing I read is that your crew is planning a 6-month follow-up if needed. If your biopsy comes back benign you should continue to get monitoring every 6-12 months to make sure the area has not changed.

I hope you get the answers from your crew at your next appointment and benign results. Stay busy with enjoyable things. The stress won't change the results.

Keep us posted.

• K-Gobby
    K-Gobby Member Posts: 144
    edited May 2022

I love that saying- the stress will not alter the results. Let it go. You can handle any result.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 259
    edited May 2022

@momo - uncertainty and waiting are the most stressful parts of any healthcare scare. MRI's are highly sensitive with a significant rate of false positives. My understanding is an MRI is more helpful on dense breasts.

I'm sorry you find yourself here. Being told to let go.of stress is a bit of a cliche and is much, much easier said than done. However, if possible try to distract yourself with enjoyable moments. For me, a long walk and listening to music is helpful. Best wishes for a good outcome.