Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What would you do?

Options
hirri
hirri Member Posts: 7
edited August 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I posted about a year ago when I got my first bi rads 4 due to area of cystic focus (looks like many cysts next to each other or many dilated ducts) (11/13mm) and what looks like calcified fibroadenoma next to it which was 6/9mm and now is 9/13mm). Then I got MRI - bi rads 2 and on a second look ultrasound was downgraded to bi rads 3. Today was my first follow up and doctor said that although everything is stable in sizes (more or less because the suspected fibroadenoma increased a bit) she still cannot say it's benign as there is some mild blood supply in the area. It's just unclear what that is - could be adenosis, could be hyperplasia, could have some atypical cells. She said she does not see medical need to warrant a biopsy but I can get it if I want to. Although there are no guarantees that it would pick up the right spot to see if there actually are atypical cells or anything else bad. From what I understand, she cannot rule out ADH/ALH or maybe even LCIS, I don't know the terms exactly. Anyway, she says I can repeat MRI and if there is no enhancement again like it was none almost a year ago, then we will keep on follow ups. What would you do? I am very worried because I read a lot about cancers that are not visible on ultrasound and even on MRI. I have some risk factors - been on birth control for 14 years, no children, early menarche, used to consume alcohol a lot when I was younger, I am almost 38 now. Would you do MRI or ask a biopsy? Thanks a lot for your input.

Comments

• jh40
    jh40 Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2022
    Options

I’m fairly new to this but I was diagnosed at 40. I had your same risk factors.

I would get the biopsy done because if it’s nothing you’ll have peace of mind. If it’s something the earlier you catch it the better. Did your doctor mention that a core needle biopsy might not get an accurate sample? If so would she recommend a different type of biopsy for your situation?

Other ladies on here may have different opinions and maybe some will chime in.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2022
    Options

as jg40 has said, get the biopsy. You'll be able to have better peace of mind. If it were me (and it was 5 years ago) I would 100% opt for the biopsy. Why not? If it’s nothing, then great! But if it IS something, at least you caught it?

• hirri
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks, ladies. I am just curious why radiologist is so hesitant to warrant it then? I mean she specializes in breast screening and works at cancer center for 20 years. I think it would be easier to if I was not given any choice, if someone told me that I must get the biopsy. So far I scheduled MRI for tuesday and after that I guess I will ask for biopsy even though I am so scared.

• jh40
    jh40 Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2022
    Options

hirri - I completely get it. I have had a lot of choices along the way so far that have felt pretty agonizing. In your situation though, I’d say the choice to know is worth it. I’m guessing your radiologist is following guidelines and maybe that’s why there’s some ambiguousness.

I can tell you that back in April, when my radiologist told me that she was 99% certain I had cancer and the biopsy was to find out what kind, I was absolutely terrified. But the biopsy itself was a piece of cake. I felt nothing - not even the lidocaine injection - and the team at my hospital were all very kind and experienced and lovely.

Before I had mine done I found it very hard to believe the women who told me that it’s an easy procedure, but I’m happy they were right.

• hirri
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks, jh40. I guess it's not only the procedure of biopsy itself that I am scared of but the fact that it would make me face the fact that it's serious. I guess I am in some kind of denial even though I keep checking everything related to this all the time (and was doing so while 6 months until follow up imaging passed). I don't know, I think I am not ready for this or not mature enough. Is anyone ever ready though.. my friend said she'd be scared too for losing her hair and breasts, I mean no offence to anyone of course, but I'd shave my head bald for the rest of my life and give up my boobs in a minute just to avoid this. Not even sure what "this" is.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited August 2022
    Options

hirri - my opinion is to get it done. My radiologist was 99% sure it was nothing based on the characteristics, but decided to err on the side of caution and order the biopsy. I'm glad she did. I would've preferred to get the call saying it was benign, but so thankful that she took the precaution.

It's really out of our control and the waiting is awful because with the waiting comes the worrying and all the other emotions. All of us have been there and know what you are going through.

I hope that "this" is nothing and that everything works out for you!! Regardless, we are here for you.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2022
    Options

"I am scared of but the fact that it would make me face the fact that it's serious."

If the radiologist thought it was serious, it would be a Birads 5 or maybe something like 4C. It sounds like this is more "Let's see what it is so we can tell if it needs to keep being monitored."

• hirri
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks everyone! I am so grateful for this community, really you have no idea. Last night I went to bet and just said something about how I am feeling to my husband, but he was so tired after work and replied "Oh boy, this is gonna be long..". While I understand him (in his eyes, this is still nothing and "we will talk when we face the REAL issue"), I still need somewhere to express my worries and this place is just amazing. I will keep you updated!