We are 204,600 members in 81 forums discussing 148,296 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 09:27AM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 1072 of 1,073 (32,187 results)

Posts 32131 - 32160 (32,187 total)

Apr 14, 2018 10:39PM badger wrote:

I looked it up and so did half the world it seems. Searches for kakistocracy surged after Brennan's tweet.

Dictionary searches spiked nearly 14,000 percent after Brennan's tweet. (ref WaPo article by Avi Selk, 4/13).

kakistocracy: government by the worst persons; a form of government in which the worst persons are in power. Origin of kakistocracy. Greek. 1820-1830. 1820-30; < Greek kákisto(s), superlative of kakós bad + -cracy.

7,303.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 14, 2018 11:40PM ksusan wrote:

Let's not miss: "(which perhaps is related to the general IE word for "defecate;" see caco-)."

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 15, 2018 02:23AM Tomboy wrote:

Ca Ca? Ka ka? Yeah, Halliburton got rich. I did see those commercials advertising the deep state book, Sandy, couldn't believe it was advertised on MSNBC!

I had just finished reading that New Yorker article about the beginning of the end of this stupid kakistocracy, thanks for posting the definition, I hadn't looked it up yet, but it is about what I thought it meant! I just can't hardly wait. I want my life back.

"I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound & vision" David Bowie, Rest in pax, my beloved changeling... Dx 6/8/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 25/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Apr 15, 2018 11:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Living life in terms of your vision and working toward your goals must be done in the context of today's activities. Do not focus too heavily on the results of your efforts. Do not live for the future attainment of your goal. Live your life through the lens of your vision and what can be done in the present moment. Living your vision is not about reaching your goals. It is about living and working toward them. It is not about producing results but about living your life in a more meaningful and personally rewarding way. -Ari Kiev

You had better live your best and act your best and think your best today;
for today is the sure preparation for tomorrow and all the other tomorrows that follow. -Harriet Martineau

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 15, 2018 11:16AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thanks badger !!! I didn't have to look up the word because like Tomboy I was reading an article and within it, was the definition. Well it turns out that we all felt about the same from the first where Trump is concerned -- just had forgotten what descriptive word was for his type. I think we might have ( way back in the very beginning ) heard this word or one very close to it. Trump is so many things that are not appealing to anyone actually normal, that it is easy to forget one or more. As in narcissistic, or misogynistic etc.

Wondering what this coming up week is going to look like because boy howdy the last two or three have been something to behold. I keep wondering that Trump is still standing ( albeit not too well ) and wondering is it because he just doesn't care or is not smart enough to care, or he is still surrounded by too many yes people who won't tell him what he needs to know. Well, I do know he has far too many people ( not thanking a lot of extreme rt. for it ) around who have their own agenda and see in Trump a way to fulfill it. So onward we go. I think maybe Cohen and his issues may be close to up first.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 15, 2018 03:33PM Tomboy wrote:

I just think it is very interesting that in the excerpt that Rachel read last week, that Mr. Comey talked about Cosa Nostra, in referencing how he felt about the whole deal, and all the people involved. I always felt it was very Mafia like, the way he handled things (as tRUmp talked about in the first book about himself that he didn't write, either), and up to and including the people that he must have 'inherited' from Roy Cohn. A monster in his own right.

And I think when the whole truth comes out, tRUmp's whole family, except for maybe his first wife, are going to be in soooo much trouble. But I am also not forgetting Manafort, and I am wondering: Are there tapes and recorded phone calls between Manafort and Michael Cohen, also? If Cohen was indeed in Prague~ remember he showed his passport cover to prove that he wasn't (HA! As if.), he may have done a little work for Manafort that time. I think Manafort is a cold blooded killer. Really.

I think this thing is GLOBAL, and I think there are many more players than we even suspect. And that is why the GOP (Godfather's Of Piss~all) had built a website immediately to try and discredit Comey ahead of the interview tonight. Seems like GOP is quite allergic to the truth.

Did anybody hear that Tony Kushner's play 'Angel's in America" is being done by this other woman director? I'm not sure if it's already out, but I do have the made for tv one on disk, I've already watched it 3 times over the years, and each time it seems very fresh and timely. Tony's political views are very interesting. That's where I first learned about Roy Cohn. Basterd.

Anybody heard anything about Rudy Guliani lately?

"I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound & vision" David Bowie, Rest in pax, my beloved changeling... Dx 6/8/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 25/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Apr 15, 2018 04:42PM Trill1943 wrote:

Am currently over on the eagle cam (CA) watching eggs hatch and hatchlings get their first meals...there are six or seven cams set up and I keep jumping from one to the next, trying to keep them straight... Hard to break away....!!

But just to remind George Stephanopolous (sp?) on 20/20 interview with James Comey tonight....

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Apr 15, 2018 11:02PM Trill1943 wrote:

Just saw Comey interview and am so impressed with this guy...I love that he just came right out with it:

"Trump is not fit to be President of the United States."

Period.

Love it.

No ambiguity, waffling, or splitting of hairs

Speaking of which, he thinks all those orange fibers are Trump's real hair.....

Does that make it better or worse?

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Apr 16, 2018 05:10AM Tomboy wrote:

Orange hair is still only partially attached though. I have to agree, he is not fit to be the president. I just can't wait to start this week, bound to be stormy.

Comey is still a witness, and still has to be pretty careful about what he says.

I am reading Madeleine Albright's book 'On Tyranny'. Guess who said 'drenare la palude'? Italian, means~~ 'drain the swamp'. And was a phrase used by Mussolini. I never heard that, I must have missed that school day. Chilling my spine to read it.

Apr 16, 2018 10:47AM - edited Apr 16, 2018 10:48AM by octogirl

S()*t Tomboy....I was looking for a new book to read last night and hubby suggested 'On Tyranny'. Sounds like I should pick it up.

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/9/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/8/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 16, 2018 10:54AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart."

– Robert G. Ingersoll

Apr 16, 2018 11:05AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Glad to hear the review on Comey. Pretty much how I feel about him. Joe Scarborough was I thought a bit on the scathing side this a.m. about him. To the point where Dh said ( can I even believe this ) something on the order of maybe people won't buy his book. Well, I'm still standing in line for mime. Pretty much as I see it, the only thing wrong with Comey is wrong with all of us. He is human -- and he made some mistakes. If I look at his mistakes and those of Trump and many many of the Reps. I will stick it out with Comey without blinking an eye.

Also, I think after such a long period of listening to all the castigation of Comey and many others ( seems to either have to be a Dem. or be looked at like one in Trump's eyes ) for at least since the time Trump came down the escalator, I certainly can't fault those who are tired of it, totally.

I too think today and this week will be very interesting. I also think ( not totally my own opinion since I've read it in a couple of places ) that Trump is likely to have more issues/problems or other worries of some kind from Cohen's legal snafu's and others around him, and start rolling downhill from that even more than what Mueller has to add to the pile. Just sounds like a lot of these other things ( anything not Mueller's ) will come out first.

Apr 16, 2018 12:33PM IllinoisLady wrote:

I believe about this something that I heard earlier -- which was to the effect that these raids and other avenues of gaining materials happen because you already have great reason to believe that information will be or has been withheld previously and hampers your ability to be able to formulate what is true or not about a case and to be able to adjudicate it properly.

If things can get all this way and to this level -- what is the point if the principals or their attorneys are able to have total control over seized materials. I hope Cohen, Trump and co., lose this round, and it has sounded like it will be that way.

Law Cohen, Trump Fight To Decide What's Protected By Attorney-Client Privilege
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email
April 16, 20189:21 AM ET Miles Parks

Miles Parks

Twitter

Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, will appear in court Monday afternoon, as his attorneys argue that he should get a first look at documents seized from him last week, to decide if they violate attorney-client privilege laws.

Yana Paskova/Getty Images

Updated at 10:53 a.m. EDT

Donald Trump's longtime attorney Michael Cohen is set to appear in federal court on Monday afternoon as he and Trump argue that they should be able to review documents seized last week by federal agents before prosecutors do.

The hearing will be Cohen's first appearance before a judge since the Justice Department revealed in court documents on Friday that he is the subject of a months-long ongoing criminal investigation.

FBI agents raided Cohen's home, office, safe deposit box, and cell phones last week. Cohen's attorney said investigators in New York City were referred by Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating the Russian attack on the 2016 election from Washington, D.C.

Raising the stakes: Michael Avenatti, the attorney for adult film actress Stormy Daniels, told NPR on Sunday that he too will be attending the hearing — and he told CNN that Daniels also will be in attendance.

Cohen arranged for a payment of $130,000 to Daniels in what Avenatti said was exchange for a non-disclosure agreement related to a sexual encounter with Trump before the 2016 election. Daniels, who has been talking openly about what she says was her liaison with Trump, is suing to get out of the agreement.

People familiar with the Cohen investigation told The Washington Post that Cohen is being investigated for bank and wire fraud, but it isn't clear yet how or whether all the threads — the Russia imbroglio, Daniels or potential other matters — tie together.

The clean team

The next phase is a battle over the procedures involving who may review the materials seized by FBI investigators last week.

In a letter filed with the court on Sunday night, the president's attorneys argue that Trump's team should be able to review documents seized in Monday's raid to protect attorney-client privilege.

That's despite the Justice Department's creation of an independent team — a "clean team" or a "filter team" separate from the prosecutors and investigators looking into Cohen — to review the material.

The Justice Department's practices are intended to protect a defendant's attorney-client privilege. Prosecutors depend on the "clean team" to segregate evidence and divide that which might become part of a court case from that shielded by attorney-client privilege.

Although communications between lawyers and their clients generally are shielded, the privilege has exemptions, including for criminal activity and fraud.

Does FBI Raid On Trump Lawyer Cohen Mean Attorney-Client Privilege Is 'Dead'? Law Does FBI Raid On Trump Lawyer Cohen Mean Attorney-Client Privilege Is 'Dead'?

Trump's attorneys argue that he and Cohen should not have to rely on the government's "clean team" to review the documents to protect his privilege, as he has "a unique interest in ensuring that every privileged item is fully protected from improper disclosure."

Cohen made a similar argument last week.

Prosecutors argued that allowing the subject of a search warrant the ability to review what was seized before investigators can defeats its purpose. They say their investigation into Cohen has revealed "evidence of a lack of truthfulness" so he couldn't be trusted to voluntarily review the documents — thus the need for the warrant.

Prosecutors also say that based on search warrants previously executed on Cohen's email accounts, a "filter team" independent of investigators came to the conclusion that Cohen "is, in fact, performing little to no legal work" and therefore very little of what would be seized in a raid would be protected by attorney-client privilege.

In other words, although Cohen is a lawyer, most of the work that has interested investigators and prosecutors is not legal in nature and so none of the public discussions about attorney-client privilege apply here.

But that doesn't mean that a federal judge might not be sympathetic to challenges to the way the FBI and Justice Department ordinarily do business in these cases.

"I do think there's a chance, that because the president is involved, that the judge is going to take extraordinary measures to make sure that this process was properly implemented," Kim Wehle, a former assistant U.S. attorney, told NPR's Morning Edition on Monday.

All the same, this legal back and forth over the potential review, she added, is "highly, highly unusual."

Cohen's attorneys followed up with another request on Monday morning for federal Judge Kimba Wood to appoint an independent outside lawyer to review the evidence in the case — a "special master," as opposed to the government's "clean team."

Cohen's hearing is set for 2 p.m. Monday in Manhattan. Wood requested that his lawyers present Cohen's client list before then, as she decides whether the material seized by the FBI would infringe on attorney-client privilege of any other potential clients.

Cohen's attorneys wrote on Monday morning that although they would be willing to identify his clients to the "special master," some of the clients have asked not to be identified now.

The U.S. Attorney's Office says the judge should reject Cohen's requests about reviewing the evidence.

"Cohen's novel proposal [for review] would set a dangerous precedent," wrote the U.S. prosecutors, in Friday's filing.

"It would permit subjects or targets of an investigation, who have not yet been indicted, to delay government investigations into their criminal conduct, by giving them, and not the government, the authority to make unilateral determination not only of what is privileged, but also of what is 'responsive' to the warrant."

Apr 16, 2018 12:55PM - edited Apr 16, 2018 12:57PM by IllinoisLady

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Apr 16, 2018 12:58PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Apr 16, 2018 12:59PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Apr 16, 2018 01:01PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Apr 16, 2018 04:39PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Well, well, well. Now it is apparent why ( even though just being a part of Faux News was enough to qualify easily ) Hannity is such a Trump/Cohen boot licker.

Sean Hannity Is Named as Michael Cohen's Client

By ALAN FEUER and MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUMAPRIL 16, 2018

Continue reading the main story Share This Page 62 Photo Sean Hannity, the Fox News personality and an ardent defender of President Trump, was identified in court as a client of Michael D. Cohen. Credit Saul Loeb/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

A lawyer for Michael D. Cohen said in court on Monday that one of Mr. Cohen's clients was Sean Hannity, the Fox News personality and an ardent defender of President Trump.

Lawyers for Mr. Cohen, the president's longtime personal lawyer and fixer, had sought to keep the identity of some of Mr. Cohen's clients a secret in a court challenge of an F.B.I. search of Mr. Cohen's office.

But after several minutes of back and forth between the government and Mr. Cohen's lawyers, the judge, Kimba Wood, ordered that Mr. Cohen's lawyer, Stephen Ryan, disclose in open court the name of a client in question, who turned out to be Mr. Hannity.

62 Comments

Before Mr. Hannity's name was revealed in the courtroom, Mr. Ryan had argued that the mysterious third client would be "embarrassed" to be identified as a client of Mr. Cohen's.

Robert D. Balin, a lawyer for various media outlets, including The New York Times, CNN and others, interrupted the proceedings to argue that embarrassment was not a sufficient legal argument to keep a client's name secret, and Judge Wood agreed.

Apr 16, 2018 04:55PM IllinoisLady wrote:

And in the middle, something to amuse:

I ain't did nothin'

Marc Munroe Dion on Apr 16, 2018

President Donald Trump, a pus-filled boil on the American backside, could learn what to expect from a long ago friend of mine who made his living as a professional criminal.

"You can do crimes for 10 years, and you never get arrested," he said. "You get arrested once, you get arrested every 23 months for the rest of your life."

Of course, the guy I knew bought stolen guns from junkies who stole them in home burglaries out in the suburbs, where people who are in no danger of being killed by intruders keep buying guns anyway.

And this is a good thing and important to the economy of inner-city drug dealers and gang bangers, both of whom need a steady supply of stolen guns to keep doing business.

President Trump is just beginning to know what it's like to attract the attention of the law.

You float along for years, groping women, going bankrupt, stiffing the people who work for you and everything's fine.

You're like that drug dealer who makes just enough money to put $3,000 down on a two-year-old Mercedes. He's buys it from one of those city car lots that always seem to be on a pie-shaped piece of land next to a business with a "WE BUY GOLD SIGN" out front.

So the drug dealer, who is making maybe $600 a week, gets the Mercedes, and he's driving around his choice of bad neighborhood and the less responsible welfare mothers are looking at him like he's a ticket to endless good times, and the kids in the project look a long time at his car when he wheels through.

And he gets arrested with something bad in his pocket and he gets probation the first time, and he keeps driving the car, but he gets arrested again in 23 months because now the cops know his name, and every time those damn detectives start an investigation in his neighborhood, one of 'em says to the others, "I wonder if Jo-Jo has a piece of this?"

Guys like Jo-Jo and Trump do not confuse law enforcement by refusing to read from the script.

"I ain't did nothin'," Jo-Jo says when arrested. Or perhaps he says, "That ain't my dope. I was holding it for a friend."

"This a witch hunt!" Trump tweets, falling back on the cliches of his own kind, and, "Those aren't my Russians. Somebody just left 'em in my campaign."

And the cops say, "Yeah, Jo-Jo, some guy you can't remember left $1,300 worth of heroin in your glove compartment."

Jo-Jo will go to jail more than once in his life, and he will get out and buy another Mercedes. He will do this until he dies in his early 60s or until he hits his late 50s, which is too old for a lot of street business. Guys like Trump don't have an expiration date, and many rich thieves keep stealing well into their 80s.

Jail is only bearable for people who have more time than money. If you don't have to be in any certain place at any certain time, 18 months in the county lock-up is not much time.

If you've got more money than time, even a minute in a cell is such a separation from your cash that you will pay any lawyer, judge, cop or senator to get out.

Right now, Trump needs to think about the every 23 months rule. It's a good rule, and accepting it keeps you from crying every time some cop with gym muscles says, "We want to talk to you."

========

Apr 16, 2018 05:02PM - edited Apr 16, 2018 05:05PM by ruthbru

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. (Sir Walter Scott)

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 17, 2018 11:18AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young.
A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us.
- Orison Swett Marden

Apr 17, 2018 01:06PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Apr 17, 2018 04:44PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Apr 17, 2018 04:46PM ruthbru wrote:

I watched Stormy on The View. I thought she did a good job and was very well spoken. Comey is on Stephen Colbert tonight and The View tomorrow.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 17, 2018 04:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Ruth, Stormy and her lawyer both have poise that is fairly lacking on the other side so far. I'd never say never ( like I pretty much did '16 ), but I think as always when you have obfuscated your whole life, lying through the whole of it, it will haunt you at some point. So Trump and cronies will remain the 'gang' who can't shoot straight. What I find so terrible about that is Trump actually thinks of himself as normal and sadly helps to drag down so many people around him. That said, a whole lot of Reps. were already on the way.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Apr 17, 2018 04:59PM IllinoisLady wrote:

No automatic alt text available.

The question that was asked to the side of this was, how long until Trump catches up to and passes Tricky Dick.

Apr 17, 2018 05:05PM IllinoisLady wrote:

No automatic alt text available.

Apr 17, 2018 05:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and text

Apr 17, 2018 08:51PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Rest in peace, Barbara Bush

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 17, 2018 09:00PM ruthbru wrote:

A class act! Heart

Page 1072 of 1,073 (32,187 results)