We are 214,155 members in 82 forums discussing 152,650 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 09:27AM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 1092 of 1,173 (35,184 results)

Posts 32731 - 32760 (35,184 total)

Jun 12, 2018 10:25PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 13, 2018 12:09AM ChiSandy wrote:

Drumpf just gave away the store. He obviously never read the daily briefings, nor paid attention to news that NK's nuclear program is a shambles due to the collapse of its mountain testing site from all the explosions of missile launches. Therefore, Kim had no bargaining chip--any promise to denuclearize NK (much less the nebulous "work toward the goal of denuclearizing the Korean peninsula") is like promising to keep your pterodactyl from shitting on your neighbor's Model T. Yet our Moron-in-Chief agreed not only to stop joint US-SK military exercises (using Kim's term "war games"), but tonight declared he's lifting all sanctions against NK. He now thinks Kim is a nice guy who "loves his people." (Starving, imprisoning, isolating your peopla and murdering anyone who stands in the way of your absolute power is a strange way of showing "love").

And Trump is a strange combination of stupid and wily--the former when it comes to government and world affairs and the latter when it comes to self-preservation. For instance, stupid when continuing his long-time habit of shredding, ripping up and discarding documents because that's what he's always done and he didn't know it's a Federal felony not just to destroy but fail to preserve Presidential records for the National Archives; wily by firing the very employees who have been painstakingly rescuing and reconstructing those documents so that he doesn't violate that law--because he feels they were doing him no favors; after all, so what if he's performing a criminal act--he is above the law while in office, but should the truth emerge via release of preserved documents after he leaves office his ass will become grass.

And now the attorneys for various defendants caught up in Mueller's investigative web have agreed to waive attorney-client privilege and coordinate--so each defendant & his attorney can now find out what the others were asked--and answered--during grand jury proceedings, so that they can all collude to get their stories straight. (Trial lawyers have to keep their witnesses--except their clients, of course--out in the courthouse corridor except when they're on the stand, so they can testify to only what they know to be the truth and not change their stories). So Trump's team can put pressure on the non-cooperating defendants and possibly suborn perjury.

It gets worse and worse and worse every day. I can't help but wonder if--even though he was severely clinically depressed to begin with--all of this (and the realization that there is nothing that can be done to stop Trump from becoming Idiot Emperor For Life) might have been what finally sent Anthony Bourdain over the edge. Watching episodes of "No Reservations," and "Parts Unknown" filmed before & after Trump's inauguration, I am struck by how the light began going out in his eyes, how his smiles and laughter seemed forced, and his "resting face" reflects an increasing melancholy compared to how he looked and acted before.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 13, 2018 12:22AM - edited Jun 13, 2018 03:38PM by Moderators

Why is Trump getting away with all of his naive stupidity, self-contradictory remarks, and alienating every one of our allies? Why is the GOP rolling over for him? Because stupid people want to be led by strongmen: it relieves them of the heavy lifting of having to think for themselves about anything outside their immediate lives. They want to be entertained, too. And those who dared offend him? They're dropping like flies, primaried from those further right who swear fealty to Twittler. So Repubs in Congress are also acting out of pure self-interest: in order to keep their own jobs, they must indulge the stupid and the mentally lazy.

The time to resist is over. Resistance is self-congratulatorily passive. Passivity is powerless. It's time to rebel. He has even blindsided and screwed over his own military. If ever a coup were justified, the time is now. He will not leave office willingly--he will either win reelection due to our increasingly stupid and mentally lazy electorate, declare any loss a fraudulent result and tie it up in the courts (courts he's packed) for years, or simply cancel the 2020 election.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 13, 2018 01:01AM - edited Jun 13, 2018 01:18AM by Di2012

Oh Sandy, I agree!

Maybe a Combo of his high fat diet, his orange paint /make up will take him out.....or someone that hates him enough to .......Melania.😏

or the wrath of GOD....

There are 178 women about 75 blocks from me that are in a Federal Prison, ONLY because they wanted a better life for their children......now they don't know even know where in the USA their children are!!!

Mentor 600cc HP gels moved towards armpits & exchanged 3/26/15 to Allergan410MF-580cc. Surgery 12/21/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 1/21/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 7/15/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/31/2013 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction Surgery 3/26/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 7/14/2015 Reconstruction (left) Dx 1cm

Jun 13, 2018 05:20AM Tomboy wrote:

Sandy, that thought had crossed my mind too, about Tony. But that means the bastards are winning. i wish trump would have a fat attack. I seriously cannot stand the pud. That ridiculous smug stupid look on his face. I hope someone somewhere will take him out. Partly because of things like what Di just said.

"I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound & vision" David Bowie, Rest in pax, my beloved changeling... Dx 6/8/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 25/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 13, 2018 07:25AM bluedahlia wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Jun 13, 2018 01:37PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

- Robert Louis Stevenson -

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 13, 2018 01:50PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Blue ThumbsUp. I cannot argue with anything above. I too await major heart failure and were it to happen because some object found its way to a 'vital' spot, oh well. I'm on the one hand amazed. Why is it so hard to stand up to the Orange leech? I know there are some that don't want to lose their seats, but if all got behind this chicken-hearted bully, it would be over.

So many of these people are banking on outwitting voters and any other people who protest ( even their own colleagues ) and not looking at the abilities they actually have. That is all well and fine up to a point, but if they fail -- they are goners like no others, with not only a huge loss, but history books that will assuredly paint them as treasonous gutless wonders who lost all reason as well as morality and ethics. I think it is a terrible bet. If you win you will be infamous. If you lose, you just might not be painted nearly so badly. Of course it isn't great either way.

I read this a.m. that short term perhaps Trump's numbers will go up -- but staying up is the item. And when and if he sees that he was played and she certainly was, then what.

Jun 13, 2018 02:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Kutter sums it up pretty clearly I believe.

Kuttner on TAP

The Moment of Truth for Republicans. For more than a decade, Republicans have decided that destroying the Democrats and the competence of government is more important than defending American democracy. We saw that under President Obama, when Republicans pursued a strategy of blocking whatever Obama attempted, sight unseen, and refused to compromise on anything other than keeping the government open. The roots of that policy date back to then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich's efforts to destroy Bill Clinton.

We also saw Republicans and their allies in the courts conniving in voter suppression and substituting money for speech, and blocking Obama's judicial appointees to an unprecedented degree. That was bad enough.

Now, under Trump, Republican enabling of both autocracy and a sellout of the national interest has reached new lows. With a few heroic exceptions, most Republicans have concluded that standing idly by while Trump makes truly bizarre foreign policy decisions that weaken America's influence with allies and help totalitarian adversaries such as China, Russia, and North Korea is an acceptable price to pay for staying in power. The fact that many of these policies are lubricated by Trump's personal financial self-interest seems not to matter either.

If we lose our democracy, or if we narrowly miss losing it, or if the U.S. ends up sacrificing a great deal of global influence, history will blame the Republican Party. Trump is a lunatic and a megalomaniac. At least some Republicans know better, but most refuse to act on their knowledge. ~ ROBERT KUTTNER

Jun 13, 2018 03:00PM IllinoisLady wrote:

The Constitutional Crisis Is Now

Robert Reich

June 12, 2018

We are no longer trying to avert a constitutional crisis—we are living one, and have been for months.

PinItShare125InstapaperEmail (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Donald Trump boards Air Force One for a trip to the G7 Summit in Charlevoix, Canada, on June 8, 2018.

I keep hearing that if Trump fires Mueller we'll face a constitutional crisis.

Or if Mueller subpoenas Trump to testify and Trump defies the subpoena, it's a constitutional crisis.

Or if Mueller comes up with substantial evidence that Trump is guilty of colluding with Russia or of obstructing justice but the House doesn't move to impeach him, we'll have a constitutional crisis.

I have news for you. We're already in a constitutional crisis. For a year and a half the president of the United States has been carrying out a systemic attack on the institutions of our democracy.

A constitutional crisis does not occur suddenly like a coup that causes a government to collapse.

A constitutional crisis does not occur suddenly like a coup that causes a government to collapse. It occurs gradually, as a system of government is slowly weakened.

The current crisis has been unfolding since the waning days of the 2016 campaign when Trump refused to say whether he'd be bound by the election results if Hillary won.

It continued through March 4, 2017, when Trump claimed, without evidence, that Obama had wiretapped his phones in the Trump Tower during the campaign.

It deepened in May 2017 when, by his own admission, Trump was thinking of "this Russia thing" when he decided to fire FBI Director James Comey, who had been leading the bureau's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, and then admitted to Russian officials that firing Comey had relieved "great pressure" on him "because of Russia," according to a document summarizing the meeting.

A constitutional crisis becomes especially dangerous when a president of the United States tells the public it cannot trust the government of the United States.

Advertisement

Over the last few weeks, Trump has done just that.

First he accused the FBI of sending a spy to secretly infiltrate his 2016 campaign "for political purposes." Then he issued a "demand" that the FBI investigate the spying—resulting in the Justice Department sharing portions of the FBI investigation with Trump's allies in Congress.

Trump blamed the entire Mueller investigation on a conspiratorial "deep state" intent on removing him from office. He used pardons to demonstrate to those already being investigated that they shouldn't cooperate because he can pardon them, too, and then bragged to reporters that he is considering 3,000 more pardons—thereby anointing himself the judge of what is fair, rather than the judicial branch.

He claimed he has the absolute right to pardon himself and can thereby immunize himself from any outcome, and asserted he has the power under the Constitution to end the investigation whenever he wants.

The crux of America's current constitutional crisis is this: Our system of government was designed to constrain power, but Trump doesn't want to be constrained.

The crux of America's current constitutional crisis is this: Our system of government was designed to constrain power, but Trump doesn't want to be constrained.

Our system was conceived as a means of promoting the public interest, but Trump wants to promote only his own interest.

Our system was organized to bind presidents to the Constitution, but Trump doesn't want to be bound by anything.

The crisis will therefore worsen as long as Trump can get away with it. An unconstrained megalomaniac becomes only more maniacal. He will fill whatever political void exists with his unbridled ego.

The only legal way to constrain Trump is to vote for a Congress, this November, that will stand up to him. And then, in November 2020, vote him and his regime out of office.

If he refuses to accept the results of that election, as he threatened to do if he lost the 2016 election, he will have to be forcefully removed from office.

Friends, we are no longer trying to avert a constitutional crisis. We are living one. The question is how to stop it from destroying what's left of our democracy.

Jun 13, 2018 03:23PM - edited Jun 13, 2018 03:26PM by IllinoisLady

From Raw Story and I'm only putting in a link since a lot of people don't like to read/hear what psychiatrists' have to say about Trump. https://bit.ly/2tcbfKz This same piece in also ( I just now saw it come in AlterNet ) in some other places. You may end up seeing it before you find this here. Likely isn't many her who don't see Trump with a plethora of mental issues and as per the article, JMHO, in my view he certainly is not getting better but worse.

Jun 13, 2018 05:32PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Just a reminder....

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Jun 13, 2018 05:35PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: text

Jun 13, 2018 08:21PM - edited Jun 13, 2018 08:23PM by ChiSandy

Michael Cohen is firing his attorneys come Friday and purportedly preparing to cooperate with the Mueller investigation. Or--more likely, IMHO--he's already been told by Trump he'll be pardoned--therefore, won't need representation. And if Manafort's bail isn't immediately revoked at his own hearing Friday, I will have lost all respect for the judge in his trial. Some are saying that the bail revocation will not go into effect immediately, so that he'll have a week to "get his affairs in order" pending what is likely to be a de facto life sentence. Of course, some of those "affairs" he'd be getting "in order" will likely consist of more witness-tampering.

BTW, the last sentence of my previous post was deleted (and not by me) because of a "complaint" received. Can't imagine anyone who is legitimately here on this thread would have lodged such a complaint--almost certainly, someone who wasn't invited to join it--or even a lurker from the "Mirror" thread--was the one who complained. If I am mistaken and it was one of you, please PM me and I will apologize to you--I refuse to display contrition to a coward who hides behind an anonymous complaint.

I take seriously & literally the rationale for creating these parallel, restricted, invitation-only threads: as a safe harbor for like-minded individuals to express and vent political opinions fully & freely without fear of being trolled. Therefore, I have never even attempted to ascertain the url for the "Mirror" thread, much less lurk there--I respect their right to spew their bigoted venom strictly among themselves.

(BTW, after my post was involuntarily edited, I noticed that others here basically expressed the same opinion and wishes concerning you-know-who's ultimate exit from office. Thanks for taking up the baton & carrying the banner, and I hope you don't get censored either).

Oh, and Greta Van Susteren now on the "masthead" of Voice of America? Gag me with a spoon. Didn't we already have his state-run media FOXNews and Sinclair Broadcasting?

Jun 13, 2018 09:02PM Tomboy wrote:

I can't believe a legitimate user, and invitee would have done that, Sandy. Even if someone found it offensive, for their personal morals or whatever, ~ last I looked, this still WAS a democracy, and you do get to speak your mind. If someone has a problem with it, then say something like: Ewww, Sandy, little harsh there, or whatever. But TALK out in the OPEN. No funny stuff like that here, that's secret police type stuff, and I find it particularly abhorhent on THIS thread. I don't think the mods should even be allowed to judge a closed thread, or look themselves. Sorry. i just agreed with you wholeheartedly, and I also believe Sam Bee has a right to call Ivanka a dick.

"I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound & vision" David Bowie, Rest in pax, my beloved changeling... Dx 6/8/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 25/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 13, 2018 09:13PM ChiSandy wrote:

Yeah, I wish Sam had used the word "dick" instead of the c-word, but I agree with the sentiment she expressed. (Personally, I would have said, instead of "feckless c---," "...you gutless empty dress...").

Jun 13, 2018 09:28PM Tomboy wrote:

i kinda believe the terms are equivilant, myself. But I've always liked that word!

I do hope someone explains to you in private, why they complained. And why they didn't go to you first. Or just not come back, pretending to be one of us. I'd feel better speaking my mind, because you can't really do that on twitter, because trolls.

Jun 13, 2018 10:01PM ChiSandy wrote:

Yup, I very rarely Tweet any more.

Watching Maddow interview Emily Jane Fox, the Vanity Fair writer and author of "Born Trump;" Fox will not go out on a limb and predict that Michael "Honey, I Shrunk Brad Garrett"* Cohen is preparing to flip on Trump. Instead, she is agreeing with Rachel that Cohen probably didn't fire his attorneys so much as they're withdrawing for nonpayment of what may be hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. Maddow posited that it might be possible for the Trump campaign to pay Cohen's bills, using surplus inauguration committee funds--much like C.R.E.E.P. did for Nixon's lawyer Herbert Kalmbach during the Watergate investigation. Nixon was trying to buy Kalmbach's silence, but it didn't work. The difference here is that Trump may well be able to shut Cohen up by not only paying his bills but also pardoning him--after which Cohen would have no need to buy leniency, at least not in Federal court actions. Nixon never pardoned anyone (at least nobody caught up in Watergate, though he dangled the possibility of pardoning Ehrlichmann) before resigning. At this point, there is nothing I would put past Twittler.

*I have nothing against Garrett (and have no idea about his political opinions if any), but don't they look and sound alike, separated only by a foot in height?

Jun 13, 2018 10:20PM IllinoisLady wrote:

If people are not going to be in the streets soon, I sure as he** hope they plan on going to the polls in the most gigantic numbers ever and voting against the warped and apparently damaged Reps., the chicken-hearted who think they have to keep their seats at all costs.

No automatic alt text available.

Jun 13, 2018 10:53PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Jun 13, 2018 10:59PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Republicans Demand Vote on Any North Korea Deal

Posted: 13 Jun 2018 04:30 PM PDT

Congress is determined to have the final say over any deal President Donald Trump strikes with North Korea. As Trump signed a joint statement with Kim Jong Un that offered few details on how the North Korean leader would make good on his vow to denuclearize, Republicans on Capitol Hill said Tuesday that they want and expect the White House to submit any final agreement for their approval. And that means the president and his team will have to work overtime to sell it.

Jun 13, 2018 11:01PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Trump Kept ZTE Alive as 'personal Favor' to President Xi

Posted: 12 Jun 2018 07:33 PM PDT

US president Donald Trump did the deal to keep telco kit provider ZTE in business as a favour to Chinese president Xi Jinping. So said Peter Navarro, who's in a position to know: he serves as assistant to the president, director of trade and industrial policy, and director of the White House National Trade Council. Navarro revealed the favour in a Fox News interview on Sunday, in which he was asked "how do you explain the decision by President Trump to lift the sanctions against the Chinese telecom company ZTE after it had violated our sanctions, our ban on doing business with North Korea and Iran and was considered to be a serious national security risk?

Jun 13, 2018 11:02PM IllinoisLady wrote:

GAO: White House Is Blocking Its Investigations

Posted: 13 Jun 2018 07:33 AM PDT

House Democrats said in a letter on Thursday that the White House is ignoring requests for information from the government's top watchdog and are asking for a hearing on the matter. "We are writing to request that you hold an immediate hearing on the dramatic decision by the White House to obstruct investigations by our independent investigators at the Government Accountability Office. We ask that the Committee obtain testimony from the White House Counsel and General Counsel of GAO," Democratic lawmakers wrote in a letter to House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), referring to the Government Accountability Office (GAO). The letter was led by the committee's ranking member, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.).

Jun 13, 2018 11:03PM IllinoisLady wrote:

A 66% Increase: U.S. Government Posts $147 Billion Deficit in May

Posted: 13 Jun 2018 10:32 AM PDT

The U.S. government had a $147 billion budget deficit in May, an increase of 66 percent from the same month last year as the ledger took a hit from declining revenue and higher spending, according to Treasury Department data released on Tuesday.

Jun 13, 2018 11:23PM - edited Jun 13, 2018 11:27PM by ChiSandy

Jackie, I'll tell you why--and, living where you do, you probably already know the answer.

I've been a touring performer for nearly 15 years, mostly in the Midwest. I realized as early as 2004 that though there are a lot of solidly "red" states, the concept of the solidly-"blue" state is a myth. What makes "blue" states "blue" is their cities, close-in suburbs, and college towns. Even driving from Milwaukee or Chicago to Madison, and especially up to northern WI, the U.P. of MI, IA, MO, KS, etc. I saw more "Jesus Saves," "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart," "God Bless Our Right to Bear Arms" and Bush, McCain, Romney and Trump signs than any other (save "Rest Area 3 Miles"). And IL is no exception. Heck, northern IL is no exception. Even outlying white neighborhoods of Chicago!

We live on the North Side lakefront, which (as well as the nearest North Shore--aka northern Cook County--and western-boundary Oak Park suburbs) is a bubble in its own right. We forget that if you travel to the "collar-county" suburbs in Lake, McHenry, Kane, Will, DuPage (except for the blocks immediately surrounding Unitarian and UCC churches and Reform temples) you are in Trump Country. Bob's offices are on the far SW Side near Midway Airport (which has sent 2 generations of conserva-dem Lipinskis to Congress for >50 years, voted for Clinton only because their aldermen and union shop stewards ordered them to, and will likely give a startling percentage of the vote this fall to Lipinski's GOP opponent, proudly avowed Nazi Art Jones) and SW suburban Hickory Hills, bordering on Oak Lawn (where most of his hospital work is done)--all Trump strongholds well within Cook County and less than 20 miles from the center of the Loop. Far South Side Beverly & Mt. Greenwood, and far N.W. Side Jefferson Park have elected Republican aldermen & state legislators for decades.

This weekend I played the Gebhard Woods Dulcimer & Traditional Music Festival in Morris. Within the grounds of any IL folk music festivals (but not bluegrass), one can find a temporary enclave of liberalism or at least tolerance. But lily-white Morris is just down the road from lily-white Minooka (in Grundy, Will & Kendall Counties), where my friend put us up for the weekend. We went out to dinner Friday night to a local sports bar--but we took her car because my Clinton-Kaine bumper sticker would have "outed" her in solid Trump country. And I don't have to tell you what it's like in southern IL. My recording engineer & his wife--Evangelicals who actually "walk the walk"--are just about the only liberals in their town, perhaps in all of Randolph County. I may be exaggerating, but not by much.

What happened? Well, my friend (who used to live in the city and work for a large university, has a B.A. and M.A., and is an authority on fossils, science fiction and Edgar Rice Burroughs) doesn't have satellite or cable--just a flatscreen TV that doubles as her computer monitor, plus a pair of rabbit-ears (which pulls in only the local Fox & ABC stations, and an independent in Joliet). She doesn't read newspapers (though she writes for her property-owners' assoc. newsletter), not even online. She doesn't listen to news radio or follow politics, international affairs or the economy. She is not alone. Walk into any restaurant, bar or gym in the area with TVs--except for sports channels (none of which show the hated N. Side Cubs), the only channels you'll see are FOXNews and, in tornado season, the Weather Channel. She hasn't watched network TV in years--everything she watches is either streamed or downloaded from thumb drives.

Life out there revolves around work (for those not yet retired), commuting (as little as necessary), personal health, cornfields, family, taking care of one's property, watching the sky for tornadoes, kids' sports, school boards (public & parochial), library meetings & cultural (apolitical) programs, shopping, vehicle care, the occasional casino trip and local charity BBQs & min-festivals (usually involving country & rock cover bands), and--except for my atheist friend--church. (As it's not a wealthy suburb, there's very little "keeping up with the Joneses," just keeping one's head above water and keeping up basic appearances). There is no time to keep informed--early to rise, early to bed. So when it comes to media, they only pay attention to the squeakiest wheel--and have no inclination to confirm or disprove its (his) veracity. All they know is they're white, he's for the white people, taxes are too high (and, they feel, being spent on the undeserving--by which they don't mean corporate leeches), and there's low unemployment. Russia, schmussia. He gives them their bread (or so they think) and their circuses--and so long as they maintain their favored ethnic status, they either forgive all his sins or deny said sins have been committed. Any news outside their town & neighborhood they get from drive-time radio, usually talk radio at that. They are generally decent, hardworking people--but they don't want any distractions that would require them to question authority or explore beyond their own bubble--a bubble, it must be pointed out, far, far larger and more heavily insulated than ours.

Jun 14, 2018 09:17AM carolehalston wrote:

Sandy, very depressing analysis. I wish I could argue against it. It applies to the south as well. Most upsetting, it applies to my own family. Trump has released the white supremacy attitudes that were always there. My BIL the doctor and his wife, dh's sister, who live in Decatur both voted for Trump and watch Fox News. So it's not just uneducated people who put him in the White House. DH's brother, blue collar, loves Trump and is gleeful over Trump's erratic behavior, seeing it as evidence of genius. My Louisiana family, all evangelical Christians, support Trump. Depressing. Impossible to understand.

Rachel Maddow has some interesting "takes" on current events. I like the way she can get her point across without ranting. I would watch her more often but dh gets so upset over the state of politics today that I tend to watch cable news on my own time.

I heard a very accurate description of what has befallen the Republican party. It has become a party supporting a cult of personality. I see Trump supporters as a cult. It's all about the Great Leader who can twist facts any way he wishes.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2018 11:21AM IllinoisLady wrote:

What oxygen is to the lungs, such is hope to the meaning of life.

Emil Brunner

Jun 14, 2018 02:38PM ChiSandy wrote:

Trump's "innate intelligence" is purely a product of the reptilian brain, as visceral as it gets (to mix anatomical metaphors). Everything he says or does is driven by his instincts for survival & self-preservation--said "self" consisting of his personal image, branding, money; and above all, the acquisition, maintenance and exercise of power for its own sake.

Today's DOJ I.G.'s report says Comey deviated from FBI protocols in the Clinton e-mail investigation (especially the pre-election disclosure of the e-mails on the Weiner server) but that while it was a mistake to drop that bombshell 10 days before the election, the decision not to prosecute her was justified and at no time was Comey or the FBI politically motivated. But Trumplandia is cherry-picking that, quoting it out of context, crowing "You can't trust Comey, therefore you can't trust the FBI, Obama holdovers in the DOJ, or the intelligence community." They will definitely inflate the Page-Strzok "textchange" (two co-workers, who were lovers, expressing their opinions to each other and nobody else) into a full-fledged FBI "Deep State" conspiracy to prevent a Trump victory, which conspiracy was thwarted by the forces of goodness and the voice of the electorate.

Of course, the explicit conclusion by the I.G. was that the effect of Comey's and the FBI's actions (both the premature 7/5/16 press conference criticizing her use of a private e-mail server, and the October Surprise) was to sink Clinton--but that there was no motivation either way.

Jun 14, 2018 03:23PM - edited Jun 14, 2018 03:28PM by CarolAnnieLumpLump

This Post was deleted by CarolAnnieLumpLump.
Diagnosed at 59. Oncotype 10. Dx 6/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 11/23/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 14, 2018 04:28PM ChiSandy wrote:

And BTW, one of the conclusions of the report was that Strzok could have been "more aggressive" in pursuing the Weiner/Abedin server e-mails by starting it sooner--ironically, had the announcement of those e-mails been made earlier, the discovery that they were merely duplicates of those previously investigated would also have come to light much earlier--too early to have hurt Clinton's chances.

Page 1092 of 1,173 (35,184 results)