We are 224,910 members in 82 forums discussing 158,006 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 09:27AM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 1286 of 1,297 (38,909 results)

Posts 38551 - 38580 (38,909 total)

Nov 12, 2019 10:19AM - edited Nov 12, 2019 10:20AM by IllinoisLady

So much is stacking up for the hearings to come on Wednesday. I think Schiff ( Pelosi too ) have been masterful so far at their perceptions for who, what, when, and where should find its way into the public realm of just what Trump and company have been doing. I also don't think its going to be pretty. Jim Jordan has been dispatched to hammer away, but I think his being up against career Ambs. and others who do not take their positions lightly or abuse them for their own political or ill gotten gains is going to backfire more than anything else.

I've never liked Jordan and realized ( upon hearing how he behaved as a team coach ) that as has been the case with others -- some people, even if I don't know why at first give me the 'willies' and I recoil from them. I'm thinking only the hardest core people will 'enjoy' Jordan's performance and hopefully the rest will see it as the chaos ploy to deflect attentions off the COLD hard truth. Since the time element is set for a longer period, for questioning from both sides....Jordan will have to come up I think with a LOT of conspiracy that will likely just go in strange circles w/o production. Be interesting to see if he has to figure some way to keep his tactics fresh. Don't see how that will be possible, but have to bear in mind that it is a person who will defend to the death. How sad to be such a humiliation as a person. What does life mean if you have so few scruples.

Bombshell Impeachment Testimony Shows Trump Let Russia Run America's Ukraine Policy

New testimony confirms what Hillary Clinton said during the 2016 presidential campaign: Donald Trump is a puppet of Vladimir Putin.
FacebookTwitterStumbleUpon
Read more »

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 12, 2019 11:30AM - edited Nov 12, 2019 12:31PM by IllinoisLady

Forgot to say -- Nicki Haley has a book to sell along with wanting maybe to be Trump's running mate for 2020. She is assuming a lot and like many of the R's dumping a lot of eggs in a risky basket if you ask me. She sees Pence as damaged goods which he is, but the ahem' big boss in my view is even more so. Haley has been somewhat clever, but I think sometimes getting high marks before your quite ready doesn't always work out. She did manage to keep herself pretty much on the good side of Trump, but kept a fairly low profile once she stepped down from U.N. Amb. Likely at a good time to NOT run too afoul of Trump at the time.

I think she looks pretty much what she is -- an opportunist who wants to be a player. Hoping it doesn't quite go over. Helpful that people have seen through most of this already.

ETA: Also dawned on me a while ago that Haley is lying big time for Trump and unable to admit most of what he says is bald-faced lies. She maintains that he has always been truthful with her. What planet were you on when this was happening, because it sure as heck wasn't on this one. You might have some ground to stand on but it appears to me you are a party of one to get the truth from someone who wouldn't know the truth if he fell over it ten times a day. You are really transparent. You should be more like Trump and say your trying to brown nose your way into your political aspirations. I'd have respect ( not for your idea ) but for your honestly in owning up to what you are doing., Even hideous Trump can do that. Difference is he just walks all over everybody and is so demented that he doesn't care who he is muscling at the time. You just want a 'high' position Ms. VP not.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 12, 2019 12:49PM ananda8 wrote:

No one should even consider voting for Michael Bloomberg no matter how much some extoll his virtues. Because this...

"In 2009, there were more than 580,000 stop-and-frisks, a record at the time. Of those stopped, 55 percent were black, 32 percent Hispanic and only 10 percent white. Most were young, and almost all were male. Eighty-eight percent were innocent. For reference, according to the Census Bureau, there were about 300,000 black men between the ages of 13 and 34 living in the city that year.

Not only that, but those who were stopped had their names entered into a comprehensive police database, even if they were never accused of committing a crime. As Donna Lieberman, then the executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said in 2010, the database became a place "where millions of completely innocent, predominantly black and Latinos have been turned into permanent police suspects."

The state outlawed the keeping of these electronic records on the innocent, over the strong objections of Bloomberg and his police chief."

He kept electronic records of hundreds of millions of innocent citizens who were unconstitutionally stopped and frisked. Only someone who sees himself as the ultimate ruler would do this. He is just another smarter, richer, more organized Trump.

Here is the link to the article quoted above. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/10/opinion/michael...

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Nov 12, 2019 06:37PM octogirl wrote:

There will be lots of political talk at my family Thanksgiving table....but then, I am happy to report that there are *no* Reps in my family. My BIL was one at one time, but his party preference was based on policy, and he switched to independent soon after dT was elected, and never looked back (and will vote blue in 2020)...There is hope.

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/7/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 12, 2019 08:07PM ruthbru wrote:

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 12, 2019 08:07PM ruthbru wrote:

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 12, 2019 08:08PM ruthbru wrote:

Nov 12, 2019 10:50PM ruthbru wrote:

On the non-political front, here's something for all of us experiencing unseasonably cold weather:

Nov 13, 2019 04:09AM - edited Nov 13, 2019 04:11AM by ChiSandy

Haley has downed a Big Gulp of GOP Kool-Aid, Hypocrisy flavor. Saw clips of her during the 2016 primary campaigns, during which she brutally excoriated Trump ("He's everything your kindergarten teacher told you not to do" was the mildest criticism she had of him). She is clearlly gunning for either Sec. of State (when Pompeo goes down) or running mate if Trump throws Pence under the ever-enlarging bus. Her ultimate goal is to be President herself.

Trump acolytes screaming how the House impeachment process is denying their Dear Leader due process and should be conducted as a court proceeding seem to have forgotten that: the House is following the rules the GOP wrote when it was in the majority; and impeachment hearings are analogous not to a trial but Grand Jury proceedings...during which NOBODY is entitled to have a lawyer present, just the prosecutor. (Schiff & the Dems are bending over backwards). There will be no trial until the House impeaches, and then only if the Senate holds one. (Rand Paul vows to move to dismiss without hearing one single witness--a remedy that while available in a court of law, is unprecedented in any impeachment trial to date, and may not be available under the Constitution).

Jackie, I am not as optimistic as you that the evidence presented in impeachment hearings will change public opinion--especially not in the crucial swing states, where polls show impeachment is "under water" in every one of them. The Trump cult will simply refuse to pay attention--unlike in 1973-4 when the three networks were the only game in town and they all covered the Watergate hearings, and the public's only alternative was to turn off the TV & radio. As popular as Nixon was at the start of the process, he didn't have a cult of adoring idiots who would unquestioningly believe anything he'd tell them despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. OTOH, if Trump were to declare the earth is flat, the moon is made of green cheese, and Jesus personally anointed him his agent, Cult 45 would absolutely believe him. And the alternative to watching network news--even if daytime programming were preempted? FAUXNoise channel, Breitbart, InfoWars, Limbaugh. They can cocoon themselves in their bizarro-world-view bubble...and they will.

Every GOP Senator questioned by reporters today declared they have no intention of watching the House impeachment hearings. Too many pundits on our side of the aisle are outraged by that--Senators will be jurors in the removal trial, right? Well, that is precisely the point--in the real life justice system, prospective jurors are not permitted to watch Grand Jury hearings--in fact they cannot consider any evidence not introduced and admitted at trial. It may infuriate us to hear the GOP Senators say what they're saying, but that's what they should say--as much as we'd like them to, as jurors they are not supposed to consider any information that precedes the beginning of the trial. So even if their statements are snotty and politically motivated and their hearts are in the wrong places...even a broken clock is correct twice a day (once if it's a digital 24-hr clock). Let's wait to (justifiably) excoriate them till after Trump is impeached (which he absolutely will be) and the trial begins.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 13, 2019 05:56AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Can we recognize our oneness, though? And what will happen if we
not only start to see that we are connected to the other human beings
in our lives, but also start to live as if that were true? Would we
become more compassionate if we were to recognize the same hopes
and dreams that we have, there in someone else? Would we be able
to help someone else feel more hope in their lives? Would we feel
more at home and at peace in our own places in this world if we were
to keep in mind that we are an important part of the human race, and
that we have many chances every day to improve the lot of humanity
by improving the life of a fellow human being, even in tiny ways?

tom walsh

Nov 13, 2019 08:49AM MissouriCatLady wrote:

Ruth, thank you for the laughs.

Happy

ChiSandy, you are always so smart, I love your posts, really make me think, thank you.

Tried to watch a bit of Fox News this morning. They were all laughing and making fun of "Watergate" today. I hope we can remember, and it turns out, those that laugh loudest..... And those two that come on before 5 am, being a crazy cat lady, the laughter on a cat video of farm cats being startled inside a car, well, didn't win any of my respect, again. Might I add, in my own opinion, I really don't know how those women that go on that show have any respect for themselves and the way they portray being a woman. The men don't all have to be beautiful, Judge Napolitano.

Age 56, DX 10/17/18 IDC Left IIB grade 3 0/2 nodes ER+PR-HER2+, 11/7/18 TCHP, 4/4/19 Left Lumpectomy, 4/29/19 anastrazole (name-brand at CVS with a GoodRX coupon), 6/3/19 Rads, HP, complete response to neoadjuvant therapy

Nov 13, 2019 09:07AM MissouriCatLady wrote:

Age 56, DX 10/17/18 IDC Left IIB grade 3 0/2 nodes ER+PR-HER2+, 11/7/18 TCHP, 4/4/19 Left Lumpectomy, 4/29/19 anastrazole (name-brand at CVS with a GoodRX coupon), 6/3/19 Rads, HP, complete response to neoadjuvant therapy

Nov 13, 2019 09:21AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Yes, I am optimistic that people, the many we don't see and hear daily on the news channels are sick and tired of the WH Reality Show. They are tired of the grifting and the games, and the lies, and the huge gathering of people who are con men or women as the case might be. Tired of those who are working so hard to silence the Constitution. Still, I think the Republicans ( especially those we will see today ) are going to be playing to Trump and the hard right loonies that will never give up on him. They are hoping they don't get left behind. I'm still thinking that no matter what the Senate does with this, the Democrats will have done ( even if reluctantly by Pelosi at first ) their duty to uphold the Constitution and the rule of law. They will have done their duty to hold a thief and an extortionist accountable.

Also, I do think they will watch at least some of the hearing. Maybe not all of it. After all, they or most of them have known all along what was coming down the pike in those closed hearings. Look what issues they have had trying to settle on how to defend Trump. They have been all over the place with Trump who won't accept their using any defense but that he had a perfect call with Zelensky. Their idea is that since the approved by Congress money finally got to Ukraine that nothing is amiss. That is not true and their are "perfect" lines by career people to show that the money was going to be held, not for corruption but for dirt on Biden and family. Trump and the R's don't want it to be made real that Trump got help in 2016 and was doing all he could to get the same help now. The whole lot of them are out for themselves. Just my opinion that should things become VERY clear during these public hearings a whole lot of R's could be looking for that bus. They have no true allegiance to Trump or I should say -- no more than he has for them. They are all a bunch of blood suckers and in the end, I do feel that one by one they are going to lose their seats. If not this time, next time. Some people have long memories.

Nov 13, 2019 11:33AM MissouriCatLady wrote:

Ambassador Taylor - wow. Just my opinion.

Nov 13, 2019 12:47PM ananda8 wrote:

Agree. Taylor's ability to factually explain the history of our relationship with Ukraine is the type of testimony we expected to hear from Mueller. For what ever reason, Mueller failed to express facts in the way the American people could understand their importance. I hope people are listening to C-Span rather than Fox. But, that is probably too much to ask for.

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Nov 13, 2019 02:00PM MissouriCatLady wrote:

Well stated, Ananda. I was on CBS News and now on NPR, anywhere I can listen!!

Nov 13, 2019 03:38PM ananda8 wrote:

The opening statement of William Taylor.

The opening statement of George Kent

Nov 13, 2019 04:03PM IllinoisLady wrote:

NOVEMBER 13, 2019

Kuttner on TAP

Let's Hear It for the Deep State. Well, my sometime pal Steve Bannon sure got one thing right. What stands between Donald Trump and outright tyranny is the deep state.

Just look at the witness list for the impeachment hearings: one foreign service officer after another—not a profession noted for attracting left-wingers, but for the most part honorable and principled people.

And when Trump tried to take over agencies of government with police powers, to use as his own private spying and operations forces, he ran into the same obstacles at the IRS, the CIA, and FBI, not to mention civilian agencies of government such as NOAA or the Centers for Disease Control.

This is an old story. Nixon set up the extralegal plumbers operation because he could not gain political control of the FBI and the CIA. And when Lyndon Johnson was furious because The New York Times kept reporting the truth about the fiasco in Vietnam, years later reporters Neil Sheehan and David Halberstam disclosed that their sources had been foreign service officers and CIA operatives who kept trying to warn the chain of command, to no avail, of the disaster in the making.

Lefties of my generation are not exactly enamored of the FBI, CIA, or even the State Department, whose hands are far from clean in one foreign-policy adventure after another. But their misdeeds are mostly those of their political superiors.

When the founders of this republic carefully devised checks and balances against despotism, they were not thinking of career civil servants, a category that scarcely existed. But as the courts have become Trump's enablers, the deep state along with the Democratic House is our essential check.

So as you watch the impeachment hearings in the coming days and weeks, lift a glass to the deep state. ~ ROBERT KUTTNER

Nov 13, 2019 04:33PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Taylor and Kent were both so excellent. OTOH the R's did exactly what they set out to do. They threw a little mud around, but they did nothing to defend Trump in my mind, nothing. Made it sound like there was only second or third hand information about anything while trying to say Trump held up the money for a corruption that he never mentioned -- unless you count 2016 and the Bidens.

I personally don't think the R's came across well at all. The only one who scored ( and it wasn't a good score ) was how loud can you yell Jim Jordan and does that make what your saying anything germane. He was loud and abrasive -- not studious and quiet like the Democrats. While the R's want to paint the whole thing has a sham and a way to oust Trump, using a fierce and loud voice just makes you ( the party yelling and screaming ) more in need of using your intemperance as a way to show you are in the right. Perhaps if he had used his voice in the locker room shower of that university, but he is still after all these yrs. covering up for someone. It seems like the R's were just downright nasty -- and they will continue to be. Nicole Wallace actually said that today was a disaster for the R's and they can't go back -- so the coming days will be worse. I don't know how much worse, but I do agree that they got virtually nowhere today and were shown up pretty much by men who were more than fair as they kept saying they weren't here for any reason but to relate what they knew -- they were neither for the view the R's were taking any more than for the view the Democrats had. They did not have a few on whether to impeach or not - only to share ( since both were subpoenaed ) what they knew. Quite a day over-all

Now I lay in wait for Rachel Maddow. It is an interesting time. I did not watch too much of the Nixon impeachment and less of Clinton's. Working took up too much of my time, both times. Now I'm mainly retired so darn betcha I'm going to be glued to the t.v. set a lot.

Nov 13, 2019 04:42PM - edited Nov 13, 2019 05:24PM by IllinoisLady

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Nov 13, 2019 05:24PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Works for me:

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Nov 13, 2019 08:21PM ruthbru wrote:

And George Conway was one of the commentators on MSNBC today. He said he is horrified by the Republican defense of Trump. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the Conway home. Yikes!

Nov 14, 2019 12:30AM ruthbru wrote:

Nov 14, 2019 08:37AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There will be a lot said by both sides. The R's according to some reports feel they didn't lose ground yesterday. I can't quite see that when the now rather famous conspiracy theorist Devin Nunes made his opening statement. What a hideous recitation. On the other hand to me this article just puts a whole lot in place.

Problems viewing this email? View it in your web browser.

Impeachment Hearings InProgress

What We Learned

Acting Ambassador to Ukraine William Taylor and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State George Kent gave testimony to the House Intelligence Committee yesterday, on the first day of public hearings in the impeachment inquiry of President Trump. The two career diplomats stressed the importance of a strong U.S. partnership with Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression and the harm caused by undermining that partnership—not just harm to Ukraine but also to the United States and to the rule of law the world over.

Here are three important takeaways from the hearing:

1. President Trump was directly involved in trying to quarterback the investigations into Ukraine.
    AMB. TAYLOR: "[I]n the presence of my staff at a restaurant, Ambassador Sondland called President Trump and told him of his meetings in Kyiv. The member of my staff could hear President Trump on the phone, asking Ambassador Sondland about 'the investigations.' Ambassador Sondland told President Trump the Ukrainians were ready to move forward. Following the call with President Trump, the member of my staff asked Ambassador Sondland what President Trump thought about Ukraine. Ambassador Sondland responded that President Trump cares more about the investigations of Biden, which Giuliani was pressing for." [Watch the clip]
  1. Contrary to what Mick Mulvaney stated in the White House briefing room, it is virtually unheard of for the president's political interests to have an effect on foreign aid.
    COUNSEL DANIEL GOLDMAN: "[H]ave you ever seen another example of foreign aid conditioned on the personal or political interests of the president of the United States?"
    AMB. BILL TAYLOR: "No, Mr. Goldman, I have not." [Watch the clip]
  1. Interfering in aid to Ukraine may have put Ukrainian lives at risk and strengthened Russia's hand in the region.
    CHAIRMAN SCHIFF: "During your testimony, Ambassador Taylor, you also said that more Ukrainians would undoubtedly die without U.S. assistance. Why is that?"
    AMB. TAYLOR: "Mr. Chairman, the security assistance that we provide takes many forms.... These weapons and this assistance allows the Ukrainian military to deter further incursions by the Russians against Ukrainian territory. If that further incursion, further aggression, were to take place, more Ukrainians would die. So it is a deterrent effect that these weapons provide."
    CHAIRMAN SCHIFF: "I take it if the provision of U.S. military assistance would save Ukrainian lives, that any delay in that assistance may also cost Ukrainian lives. Is that true?"
    AMB. TAYLOR: "Mr. Chairman, of course, it is hard to draw any direct lines between any particular element of security assistance and any particular death on the battlefield. But it is certainly true that that assistance had enabled Ukrainian armed forces to be effective and deter and to be able to take countermeasures to the attacks that the Russians had." [Watch the clip]

Read CAP's full coverage of the November 13 hearings »

How To Watch

CAP's experts will be watching every moment of these historic hearings to bring you insights and background explainers. Here's how you can follow along:

1. On hearing days, stay tuned to our live online coverage for up-to-the-minute commentary and links to important resources.
  2. Follow @amprog on Twitter, where our social media team is posting the most noteworthy video clips and expert comments.
  3. Subscribe to InProgress for morning-after recaps and announcements.

Be sure to forward this email to anyone who would find it useful!

Next up...

Friday, November 15
Marie Yovanovitch, former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine
Testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
Estimated start time: 9:00 a.m. | Watch live »

Tuesday, November 19
Jennifer Williams, aide to Vice President Mike Pence
Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, director for European Affairs for the U.S. National Security Council
Tim Morrison, former Russia official on the U.S. National Security Council

Wednesday, November 20
Gordon Sondland, U.S. ambassador to the European Union
Laura Cooper, deputy assistant secretary of defense for Russia, Ukraine, Eurasia
David Hale, under secretary of state for political affairs

Thursday, November 21
Fiona Hill, former senior director for European and Russian affairs for the U.S. National Security Council

FOLLOW US ON:

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

YouTube

Support CAP | Manage Email Preferences | Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe
Center for American Progress | 1333 H Street NW, 10th Floor | Washington, D.C. 20005

This email was sent to jdiossi@charter.net.

The two men, Kent and Taylor were testifying about the 'truths' they knew about, and the Republicans were asking based on their half baked ideas and conspiracy theories. A lot of their questions could not be answered or answered well because they needed to come from people the WH isn't allowing to testify. If you are innocent these would be the first people you'd want on the front line for you -- and if they R's and Trump are going to keep that up.....whether the Senate takes it seriously or not -- I think the whole bunch could be doomed. It seems having/allowing a fool to attempt to be a president is going to go pretty sour and distasteful in the end. Just my opinion.

Nov 14, 2019 08:41AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Rachel seems to be of the same mind as CAP.

Rachel Maddow Shows How Republicans Bombed At The Impeachment Hearing

Rachel Maddow highlighted how Republicans bombed during the first day of impeachment hearings as their conspiracy theories flopped.
FacebookTwitterStumbleUpon
Read more »

Nov 14, 2019 08:51AM MissouriCatLady wrote:

I want one of those t-shirts!!!! Thanks, Ruth. Yes, I listened closely as they said orange dufus released the money 2 days AFTER the whistleblower, I was unaware of that. Have to get my ear plugs for today. CNN does have some purrfect timing putting Nixon's words in these documentary commercials, as Fox makes Watergate jokes. Jackie, I always find Jim Jordan to be so annoying. All the news about him recently isn't the greatest.

Nov 14, 2019 09:46AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hello, sun in my face. Hello you who made the morning and spread it over the fields...Watch, now, how I start the day in happiness, in kindness.

- Mary Oliver -

Nov 14, 2019 12:23PM MissouriCatLady wrote:

I'm sharing that one, Jackie, beautiful.

I have no way to listen on the computer I am on today - hope it is all going well! Hope you all have sun today! There is a really positive post on the triple positive board from Bob, in case you need any positivity today, other than beautiful Jackie. Hugs, Lisa

Nov 14, 2019 09:55PM ruthbru wrote:

Nov 15, 2019 09:00AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character. -Walter Anderson

Page 1286 of 1,297 (38,909 results)