We are 224,870 members in 82 forums discussing 157,980 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 08:27AM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 1294 of 1,296 (38,870 results)

Posts 38791 - 38820 (38,870 total)

Nov 30, 2019 10:28AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Just why I like Heather Richardson as well as Palmer. I think with Palmer ( I'm not seeing it as much now ) for a while they were VERY snarky in their delivery which I think some people found off-putting. The Richardson pieces are written so that the 'average ' person not well versed in political-speak can get from A to B without wondering what the REAL meaning of it all may be. There were times when I could barely decipher what was said or more importantly meant by what was said. Another reason why I watch ( I often switch off and on throughout the day ) MJ ( Morning Jo ) every morning w/o fail. They have sources in the government and have info that seems to deeply fill in some of the morning's headlines and the last day's major upsets

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 30, 2019 11:27AM MissouriCatLady wrote:

Age 56, DX 10/17/18 IDC Left IIB grade 3 0/2 nodes ER+PR-HER2+, 11/7/18 TCHP, 4/4/19 Left Lumpectomy, 4/29/19 anastrazole (name-brand at CVS with a GoodRX coupon), 6/3/19 Rads, HP delayed due to low LVEF, complete response to neoadjuvant therapy

Nov 30, 2019 12:19PM ananda8 wrote:

Palmer is being incredibly optimistic. I don't think there will be a single Republican Senator who votes for impeachment.

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Nov 30, 2019 01:38PM - edited Nov 30, 2019 01:41PM by IllinoisLady

You could well be right Ananda. I don't think about that as much this far out, mainly because Trump has gotten hard for his handlers to deal with and I'm not totally for sure that he won't in some fashion tip the scales in some way which might put them in a spot where they felt they might have to. I know they don't want to, but at the same time many of them ( if push comes to shove ) will do whatever they think will be most likely to save themselves. If Trump gains some control ( hasn't sounded likely lately ) then I do think the Senate will give him his totally free pass.

Missouri Cat -- I think some people do see the Trump in the first picture. Un-believable to me. Lately at times when I see some pictures ( recent ones ) he looks more out of shape than ever to me which was one of the reasons I still wonder about the excursion to Walter Reed.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 30, 2019 02:29PM - edited Nov 30, 2019 02:29PM by IllinoisLady

Image may contain: text

Nov 30, 2019 02:32PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: text

Nov 30, 2019 02:53PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person, text and outdoor

Nov 30, 2019 02:55PM IllinoisLady wrote:

No photo description available.

Nov 30, 2019 03:27PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Fri, Nov 29th, 2019 by Adalia Woodbury

Opinion: Broken Immigration System Blames Those Who Lack Privilege For Its Failings 209SHARES

FacebookTwitterSubscribeWhatsappPinterestStumbleuponPrintMailFlipboard

I had my green card renewed this past Monday, without incident. The entire process took 15 minutes. That's privilege at work. I'm a college-educated white woman and I was processed in Virginia by a staff who did more to promote the greatness of America during those fifteen minutes than the entire Trump administration has done during the 3 years of that nightmare presidency.

Granted, I'm not a Nobel laureate, so I might not be good enough for Stephen Miller or Donald Trump. The first thing I'm thankful for is that when I came to America, it still welcomed people who chose to live here. Unlike many people who are escaping violence, horrible government and perhaps the horrific conditions resulting from climate change denial; I arrived following a comfortable ride on an airplane. I was fortunate to have a first-rate immigration lawyer help me through the initial processes and I got my green card without incident.

If I went on my experience alone, I'd wonder what the fuss is about. But this isn't the first time that my experience is far from typical. I still read about immigrant children in cages. I still see government reports and studies that show an under-accounting of how many immigrants' human rights continue to be violated on a daily basis. I still keep up with Trump's efforts to find someone sufficiently devoid of human empathy and other emotions associated with good mental health to head ICE, the Department of Homeland Security and other leadership positions within.

I'm still reading about the rise in hate crimes and participation in hate groups.
If I didn't, I'd be under the false impression that the ease with which I've been an immigrant in America is the reality for everyone.

There's no blindfold as effective as the blindfold of privilege. I can't disown the privilege, but I can work to expose the consequences of a policy that contradicts everything America has aspired to be since its inception.

Being painfully aware of my personal privilege isn't enough. It doesn't absolve me of the very special responsibility that comes with being an immigrant who was given the opportunity to use their voice in defense of people who want nothing more than a chance for their children to survive childhood and become productive citizens and parents.

Adalia Woodbury

Ms. Woodbury has a graduate degree in political science, with a minor in law. She is a qualified expert on political theory with a specific interest in the nexus between political theories and models and human rights.

Based on her interest in human rights and the threats that authoritarian regimes are to them, Ms. Woodbury's masters thesis examined the influence of politics on the enforcement of international criminal law was cited in several academic studies.

Published work includes case summaries for the War Crimes Research Office.

She has an extensive background doing legal research in international and domestic law.

Ms. Woodbury's work for politicusUSA includes articles on voting rights, the right to asylum and other civil/human rights.

Nov 30, 2019 06:35PM IllinoisLady wrote:

I hope this person in this article is right. There have been such ups and downs in the last chaotic three yrs. that I'm not sure of anything or any reaction. I know that I'm really surprised that the R's are 'willing' to paint Trump as better than Lincoln. I personally think it is difficult to compare one of our earliest Presidents to one right now, but that is just me. So, I guess another thing that I won't "get" till the House impeachment vote comes.

ance

• Liberal Nation Rising
  • Impeachment
  • Politicus News With Sarah Jones
  • Trump Administration Scandals
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Posted on Sat, Nov 30th, 2019 by Sean

Historian Warns Trump That His Support Will Collapse Once Democrats Formally Impeach Him FacebookTwitterSubscribeWhatsappPinterestStumbleuponPrintMailFlipboard

Donald Trump has had historically low support since taking office in 2017, but impeachment is likely to send those numbers plummeting into the cellar.

At least that's what CNN presidential historian Douglas Brinkley said this week, noting that Trump is in a substantially worse position than Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon were when they went through scandals that brought impeachment to the forefront of their presidencies.

"It just tells you what deep trouble Donald Trump is in when you have 50 percent of the country wanting you not just impeached, but removed from office, and the game hasn't even gotten fast yet," the historian said on Friday.

He added, "I think once the vote is taken by Congress to impeach him and he's wearing the 'I' on his chest, you're going to see that movement grow even more."

The public still supports impeachment

Donald Trump and his Republican loyalists – unable to come up with a substance-based impeachment defense – are trying to invent a new narrative in which they claim public opinion on impeachment is drastically shifting in the president's favor.

But similar to their earlier impeachment arguments, this one lacks any basis in reality.

In fact, a new CNN poll shows that support for Trump's impeachment and removal from office has remained stable with 50 percent supporting it. According to FiveThirtyEight, a collection of public surveys shows that support for impeachment has actually ticked up slightly over the past week.

More than half of Republicans might live in a plane of existence in which Donald Trump is a better president than Abraham Lincoln, but in reality, the American people know Trump is guilty of wrongdoing and want him booted from office.

Once House Democrats take the formal vote to impeach Trump, which may come around Christmas, Trump's dwindling support could fall through the floor.

Nov 30, 2019 08:00PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hopefully he and a lot of other R's will be doing a lot more of this soon.

Image may contain: 3 people

Nov 30, 2019 08:13PM ruthbru wrote:

Trump Has Spent $115 Million On Golf Trips ― Or 287 Years Of Presidential Salary
    "Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 30, 2019 08:28PM ruthbru wrote:

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 1, 2019 08:13AM IllinoisLady wrote:

November 30, 2019

Dec 1

Public post

So where are we now with the impeachment proceedings against Trump?

I've written about impeachment at length on Facebook earlier in this series if you want a deep dive into how this works, but there are a few things to keep in mind. The United States Constitution, the fundamental law on which our nation rests, lays out how impeachment of a president works.

It establishes that the House of Representatives alone has the power of impeachment. It can run the process of impeaching a president however it wishes, no matter how much the president (or anyone else) complains. Generally, the House investigates the offenses of which the president is accused-- it is important to remember that those offenses do not have to be actual criminal offenses (although they usually are). The Constitution lays them out as "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors," but it does not define high crimes and misdemeanors. (It would be entirely reasonable to impeach a president who played video games all day and refused to do any work, for example, even though it is not illegal to play video games all day.)

At this investigatory stage, the president does not participate because it is still a matter within the House. Once the investigation is complete, either the House drops the matter (as it has done on a few occasions) or it hands the issue over to a committee—generally the Judiciary Committee—to prepare articles of impeachment. Once the committee has done so, those articles go before the House, which votes on whether or not its members think the president has committed the offenses outlined in the articles. Generally, in the past, some articles have passed and some have not. Then, if and when the House has voted to impeach a president by a simple majority vote, the matter goes to the Senate.

The Senate then holds a trial in which Senators act as a jury to decide whether or not the president has committed the offenses of which the House has accused him. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court-- in this case, Chief Justice John Roberts, appointed by President George W. Bush-- presides over the trial, generally deciding procedural questions (although his decisions can be overturned by two-thirds of the Senate).

At this point, the president is expected to mount a defense. He has legal counsel and can call and cross-examine witnesses. Both presidents who have been impeached—Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton—have won at this stage, beating back the accusations against them (although in Johnson's case there was a lot more going on than just his own behavior). Richard Nixon resigned rather than have his case go to the Senate after senators from his own party warned him that he would be convicted.

Two-thirds of senators must vote to convict. Today, that means 67 senators.

In the case of Donald Trump, we are still close to the beginning of the impeachment process, the part where the House investigates the president's behavior.

After the Ukraine scandal blew up in September, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi put the House Intelligence Committee in charge of holding hearings to try to figure out what had gone on in the White House and Ukraine in summer 2019, as Trump withheld $400 million Congress had approved to help Ukraine in its war against Russia until Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky announced an investigation into Hunter Biden, the son of Joe Biden, who was a leading contender for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Under chairman Adam Schiff, the committee has held hearings, both private and public, and they have turned up damning information. Witnesses have claimed that the president and his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, together with acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, Ukraine envoy Kurt Volker, Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, and Energy Secretary Rick Perry, ran a shadow foreign policy toward Ukraine with the goal of rigging the 2020 election for Trump.

Throughout the hearings, Trump and his supporters have attacked the Democrats and the impeachment process, rather than defending the president. They insist they are being shut out of the process, and that the impeachment inquiry is therefore illegitimate. In fact, Republicans on the main committees investigating impeachment have had as much access to the hearings and to questioning witnesses as Democrats have, but they often chose not to attend. Nonetheless, a key aspect of their public opposition to impeachment has been their insistence that they are being excluded from it.

The Intelligence Committee is now pulling together a report of its findings, which will give Schiff the opportunity to lay out what he has called "'a months-long effort in which President Trump again sought foreign interference in our elections for his personal and political benefit at the expense of our national interest,'" and to show that Trump has engaged in "an unprecedented campaign of obstruction in an effort to prevent the Committees from obtaining documentary evidence and testimony." They are preparing to give the report to the House Committee on the Judiciary, chaired by Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), which has been itself looking into whether or not Trump had obstructed justice as laid out in the Mueller Report. The committee will hold its own hearings as it starts the process of writing articles of impeachment.

On Friday, November 29, Nadler wrote to Trump in advance of the first committee hearing on Wednesday, December 4. Nadler reminded the president that the House rules for impeachment passed at the end of October allowed for Trump and his counsel to request witnesses, attend committee hearings, and question those testifying. He asked Trump if he and his lawyers plan to participate in the impeachment proceedings and gave him until 5:00 on December 6 to inform Nadler of his decision. "The President has a choice to make," Nadler said. "He can take this opportunity to be represented in the impeachment hearings, or he can stop complaining about the process. I hope that he chooses to participate in the inquiry, directly or through counsel, as other Presidents have done before him."

This raises a quandary for Trump. Does he send his lawyers to defend him, or does he continue to insist the whole process is illegitimate? Trump has said in public that he would "love" to have Mulvaney and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo testify, and would "strongly consider" testifying himself (he won't, by the way-- his lawyers would never let him). And the idea that he is being railroaded will be harder to sell if he has publicly rejected the chance to be part of the process. But it's hard to see what he will gain by participating, since there seems to be so very little evidence that he did not withhold aid to pressure Zelensky into doing what Trump needed, which is damning. My guess is that he will continue to refuse to participate, and continue to rail against the process, hoping that most people will miss that he is rejecting a chance to participate in it.

Interestingly, Nadler has chosen to start the Judiciary Committee hearings with legal scholars exploring the "Constitutional Grounds for Presidential Impeachment." As part of their attack on process, Republicans have insisted that impeachment is unconstitutional; it is, they argue, simply a way for Democrats to overrule the 2016 election. Nadler is taking that issue head on, pointing out that impeachment could not be more constitutional. Far from being an illegitimate attempt to nullify an election, impeachment is outlined in the Constitution itself as a remedy for a dangerous president.

Dec 1, 2019 08:51AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There are no hopeless situations;
    there are only men who have grown hopeless about them.
    - Clare Boothe Luce

Sometimes good things fall apart
    so better things can fall together.
    - Marilyn Monroe

Dec 1, 2019 09:04AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Loved that meme Ruth. Also thinking about the money Trump has spent so freely that is from taxpayers. Boggles my mind that so many people are un-concerned that Trump is putting us into such long-range debt. Not only does he spent our money but makes sure that a whole lot of that expenditure go right into his personal check-book/wealth. If someone close to Trump was diverting his money into their pocket there would be lawsuits and hell to pay, but we allow this creep to rip us off royally. Some things are just hard to understand.

At any rate, I do think things are going to get interesting as we run up to the Christmas holidays. I know the Judiciary branch is now working on their part of the impeachment and I ( always could be a surprise ) don't think it will go a lot better for Trump. Sounds like he wants to use the excuse that he will be at NATO but that doesn't change a thing. He could send reps to go and maybe he will but he doesn't have too long to figure it out. I think Nadler may have set it up for a lose-lose on Trump. If you go what is the defense, if you don't -- you apparently are still hiding from cold hard facts.

Dec 1, 2019 09:06AM IllinoisLady wrote:

No matter what the R's in the Senate do -- this will still be the case pretty much.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Dec 1, 2019 09:10AM - edited Dec 1, 2019 09:10AM by IllinoisLady

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Dec 1, 2019 09:13AM IllinoisLady wrote:

And then some people don't mince and parse -- at all.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Dec 1, 2019 05:30PM IllinoisLady wrote:

This is extremely sad although many in the military are onto Trump. No way to know if these men he talked to were, but I felt all along the only reason he made that trip was for the optics and for the fact that since slightly before the impeachment hearings started he has been losing a fair amt. of ground. He is at a point in time where he needs to 'look good' and it wasn't going to happen at all if he stayed around Washington or one of his golf clubs. Then again, I don't think he got much for mileage out of the visit with troops.

Trump Lies To The Troops And Makes Up Fake Afghanistan Cease-Fire Trump told the troops that he is working on a cease-fire in Afghanistan, which according to all parties involved doesn't exist.
    FacebookTwitterStumbleUpon
    Read more »

Dec 1, 2019 05:35PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Found this interesting but fair warning --- it is a Palmer piece.

Donald Trump's impeachment prospects are worse than you think

Shirley Kennedy | 11:00 pm EST November 30, 2019

Palmer Report » Analysis

942SHARES

Facebook ShareTwitter ShareEmail this articlePrint Article

While Donald Trump bragged at his latest hate rally that "only 50%" of Americans want him impeached and removed, CNN's Chris Cillizza explains what that number really means. People (like Trump) want to twist the number to point out that it hasn't changed since mid-October even after extremely damaging testimony. As Cillizza notes, Trump is "missing the forest for the trees."

Half of the country wanting Trump out of office can never be considered good. To show just how important that number is, Cillizza looked at impeachment numbers from other points in presidential history. First, Cillizza points out that while President Bill Clinton was eventually impeached by the House, few members of the public ever wanted him impeached, let alone removed. Support for Clinton's impeachment peaked at 29%. That number never went higher, even as the Republican-led House searched for reasons to impeach him. When they couldn't find damning evidence in the Whitewater investigation, they found Linda Tripp, who used her "friendship" with Monica Lewinsky to surreptitiously tape her as she discussed her "affair" with then-President Clinton. Tripp took the tape and ran, and the rest is history.

The House approved Articles of Impeachment against Clinton because he lied about having sex with Lewinsky. So, he was convicted over a lie. If lying were a crime, Trump would have been convicted over 13,000 times by now. As is typical with Republicans, however, they see no wrong in Trump's actions though they are extremely wrong—way more wrong than anything Bill Clinton ever did. In the case of Clinton, the public knew Republicans were wrong, and that's why no more than 29% ever agreed with their antics.

The two other presidents for whom polls reflected impeachment were George W. Bush and Barack Obama. No inquiry was ever made into either. In the case of Bush, 30% wanted him impeached and removed while 33% felt the same about Obama. These numbers merely reflect the feelings of the American public in general, according to Cillizza, who, when reviewing impeachment polling over the last two decades, said "30% of the country" is "ready to impeach a president at all times." What all this boils down to is that Trump has amassed another 20% on top of a usual, historical number. Cillizza also points out that while Clinton, Bush, and Obama were faced with similar impeachment numbers, none of them were up for reelection within that same time period. Trump is, and the bottom line is that a majority of the American public wants "president" Trump gone.

Cillizza wants us to keep in mind that Trump is actually in peril, if not from impeachment itself, then from reelection. Considering that many Americans don't exercise their right to vote, and 50% are against Trump, it means he is very unlikely to be reelected. Cillizza is asking us to keep our focus on that 50% rather than the fact that the number hasn't changed. "The 50% number is both astounding and ahistorical." Have cheer, Resistance. If we can keep our focus and not be misled by numbers alone, we will see a Trump-free White House, whether via impeachment or election defeat

Dec 1, 2019 05:38PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

although I do like both the Williams Jr. and Sr.

Dec 1, 2019 05:42PM IllinoisLady wrote:

This new "53% of Republicans" poll doesn't mean what you think it does

Bill Palmer | 8:00 pm EST November 30, 2019

Palmer Report » Analysis

595SHARES

The latest Economist/YouGov poll says that 53% of Republicans now think Donald Trump is a better president than Abraham Lincoln. This number is as astonishing as it is disconcerting as it is cringe-worthy. And there's every reason to believe that it's accurate. But this number does not at all mean what it sounds like it means.

While I like to see multiple new polls say the same thing before presuming it's true, there's no reason to presume that this particular new poll is false. At the least, there's no other polling data that conflicts with it. So let's give this poll the benefit of the doubt. What does it tell us about the overall American voting populace?

There are roughly 32 million registered Republicans in the United States. 53% of that is roughly 17 million. So we're talking 17 million people, out of the 250 million Americans who are of voting age. In other words, this poll tells us that not much more than 5% of Americans think Trump is a better president than Lincoln. Even if you want to quibble with registration numbers, you're still going to end up with a single digit number.

In other words, this group of people is electorally irrelevant. Donald Trump didn't get elected because of the single digit number of people who think he's the messiah. He won't get reelected because of a single digit number of people. They're already locked into voting for Trump, and they're already factored into his overall very weak poll numbers. So these folks will have no impact on the election whatsoever.

If Donald Trump does win reelection, it'll be because of his quasi-supporters outside of his base, who have never loved him, and still aren't sure what to think of him, and could end up doing a variety of things in 2020 (unenthusiastically voting for him, unenthusiastically voting against him, staying home). It certainly won't be because a statistical handful of deeply deranged people think he's the greatest president of all time, as disturbing as they may be.

Dec 1, 2019 09:17PM ruthbru wrote:

Dec 1, 2019 09:23PM ruthbru wrote:

Dec 2, 2019 08:16AM IllinoisLady wrote:

This quote is a great one to consider with the viewpoint about all the things we need and could repair in a good way such as many of our current issues -- children, schools, welfare/food stamp programs, infrastructure and the criminal justice system.

When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower.
    - Alexander Den Heijer

Dec 2, 2019 08:28AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Like them both but really love that last meme, Ruth. It still bothers me that we have a first lady who posed nude and has a rather inane Be Best campaign while the 'model' for that ( Trump ) is the absolute worst there ever was or hopefully will be. That said my BIL is Facebook posting that Trump is the best pres. we have ever had. He seems to be drowning in Kool-Aid just like Sen. John Kennedy who says he never bothered with the Intel briefing all the other Senators got ( many who have ignored it as well ) about the fact Ukraine had nothing to do with meddling in the 2016 election. Dh is going to stop allowing his brothers postings to alight on his Facebook page which should happen since it sometimes causes the blood pressure to fluctuate.

Nervous about this week, but I do see that Trumps' no win situation has not changed. He is not sending anyone to the Judiciary committee as they start their own hearings ahead of the synopsis from Adam Schiff. As usual just whining about ( never mind that things are proceeding on a normal basis ) the fact that this is being done while he is attending NATO. Well, naturally when you have no defense and never did you have to insert something in that hollow space.

Dec 2, 2019 08:30AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, suit and text

Dec 2, 2019 08:36AM IllinoisLady wrote:

No photo description available.

Dec 3, 2019 08:19AM ruthbru wrote:

Page 1294 of 1,296 (38,870 results)