We are 186,135 members in 80 forums discussing 140,390 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 09:27PM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 694 of 747 (22,391 results)

Posts 20791 - 20820 (22,391 total)

Mar 21, 2017 02:26AM - edited Mar 21, 2017 02:28AM by IllinoisLady

It is time for Fox to realize ( wonder how much RM's current standing in the news world has helped ) that the majority of U.S. citizens do NOT prefer fake news. As well, in the short term it was fine but I think 45 is at least a partial liability to Fox now. I certainly don't think Fox will give up doing fake or skewering facts to suit themselves -- I do think though that they will try and tailor their program to come just under the wire of not losing too many ratings. There are times ( thinking here of 45's extremely woeful inability to even much appear as a normal human President ) when the preponderance of evidence is so strong that you have to get realistic with your facts and to that end good for Fox. I've had enormous dislike of their program for years ( the only one my family of BIL's watch ) but I have to take my hat off so to speak every now and again and this is definitely one of those times. Wish the Repugs would show some of the Fox backbone right now instead of the almost continual sucking up.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 21, 2017 02:36AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I am late getting this in but I do think it is quite pertinent for the fact that it is more of a prelude to the next hearing. The Repugs ( at least for today's hearing ) are mainly heartless and I hope at some point some will have a change of heart. I know the ones who may be up for re-election could get there.

What to expect from tomorrow's House Intel Committee hearings on Donald Trump and Russia

1176SHARES

ShareTweet

SubscribeGooglePinterestLinkedin

If you believe Donald Trump is guilty of having conspired with Russia to rig the election, then tomorrow is the day you've been waiting for, though not really, and I'll explain why in a minute. It's important to understand that there are two concurrent Trump-Russia investigations in Congress, one by the House Intelligence Committee and the other by the Senate Intelligence Committee. Tomorrow, the House Intel Committee begins its hearings – and they'll be a mixed bag.

Over the past month it's become clear that the Senate Intel Committee wants the Trump-Russia scandal fully exposed. That motivation is easy enough to understand: there are six Democrats, one Independent (Angus King), and at least one Republican (Susan Collins) on the committee who want a serious investigation. Those eight votes add up to a majority. So the committee has been aggressive behind the scenes; it's done everything from formally targeting Trump adviser Roger Stone to poring over binders of classified CIA evidence. Because the Senate Intel Committee is digging deeper and taking things more seriously, its hearings won't get rolling for perhaps another couple weeks. Despite all the eagerness by the Resistance to swiftly take Trump down, these kinds of governmental processes take time when done right.

In the mean time we get the seemingly rushed House Intel Committee hearings tomorrow – and the math there is different. Ranking member Adam Schiff and his fellow Democrats on the committee have made clear that they intend to push the Trump-Russia investigation as far as they can. But based on every indication there are no Republicans on the House committee who want a particularly serious investigation, and they hold the majority. Committee chair Devin Nunes in particular is a Trump apologist, though he's in over his head and he keeps slipping up and admitting things he shouldn't.

So when the House Intel hearings begin tomorrow, the Republicans and Democrats on the committee will take turns getting to ask each witness questions. The good news, if you want the Trump-Russia scandal exposed, is that people like former acting Attorney General Sally Yates and current FBI Director James Comey are on the witness list for tomorrow. Yates will get to testify how she warned Trump that Michael Flynn was dirty on Russia, and that Trump responded by firing her instead of him.

Comey is deeply distrusted by the anti-Trump side, but by all accounts he's been looking for a public forum in which he can push back against Trump's false claim that President Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. It appears Trump made an enemy out of Comey when he floated the claim, because in so doing he was also falsely accusing Comey's FBI of having gone along with the imaginary illegal wiretap.

But while the Democrats will give these anti-Trump witnesses every opportunity to publicly expose Donald Trump tomorrow, the Republicans on the committee – particularly Nunes – are likely to use their own allotted time to try to muddy the waters and make Trump look vaguely innocent. That will be frustrating, but probably irrelevant; the House Intel Committee investigation into Trump-Russia was probably never going to go anywhere anyway. Instead tomorrow's testimony will provide new clues, hints and revelations which will help inform the media and the more aggressive Senate Intel Committee where to start digging next.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 21, 2017 02:38AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Trump Is The Biggest Failure In History As His Disapproval Rating Skyrockets To 58%

Donald Trump has set a record that disapproval rating that has never been reached before in the history of polling as his disapproval rating has reached 58% two months into his time in office.
FacebookTwitterStumbleUpon
Read more »

Mar 21, 2017 02:41AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is a point to be made in this piece that usually I don't really consider when I'm thinking of 45. That is that if he 'falls' due to his 'empire' his whole family might fall with him and more than likely would.

Eric Trump Sounds Terrified That Tax Returns Will Leak As Dark Secrets Yearn For Daylight

During an interview on Fox News, Eric Trump sounded completely terrified and more than a little worried that his father's tax returns would be leaked.
Read more »

Mar 21, 2017 02:44AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sean Spicer Falsely Accuses Rachel Maddow Of A Crime As Trump Smears MSNBC Host

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer accused MSNBC's Rachel Maddow of committing a crime, as the Trump administration is smearing the MSNBC host for reporting on the president's tax returns.
Read more »

Mar 21, 2017 02:59AM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Rep, Heck giving them heck!

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+ PR+ HER2-; Mast/SNB/ALND 12/2015 Left; 4 AC+12 T 2/2016; Rads 9/2016 Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts; HT 10/2016 Tamox

Mar 21, 2017 03:02AM QuinnCat wrote:

Heck telling those Rethugs what real patriotism is!!

Mar 21, 2017 03:03AM QuinnCat wrote:

Sean Spicer, a Press Secretary no less, does not understand the laws regarding the Press and the First Amendment. Expect a lecture from RM tonite, Sean. Too many things to keep track of today. Is Trump still the only person in the world that thinks Obama wiretapped him?

Mar 21, 2017 03:59AM Trill1943 wrote:

Didn't think I'd get to see any of the hearing but gave it a shot anyway and found it being broadcast on youtube with a pbs bug on the screen--so guess pbs and maybe nor were backing that....of course once I started watching I couldn't stop...fascinating....

Will someone tell me cause I'm confused about something. What leaks are they talking about--I know not the pee-pee tape stuff? Do they mean the Steele dossier?

Love the Heck fellow--wow, he got really heated clarifying that it's not a partisan committee--but of course it is--but made a great talk about it... good to see....

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Mar 21, 2017 04:04AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Trill, I think they mean leaks in general because while there are always some from any administration, it has been fairly prolific since 45 got sworn in a couple of months ago.

Not Our Justice

Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Judge Neil Gorsuch has his first date with Congress today and it's setting up to be awkward. This morning, NPR reported that Gorusch told his law class that women "manipulate" maternity leave and suggested companies need to ask questions about women's family plans before hiring them. It is of course illegal to make hiring decisions based on pregnancy status or family plans. It's safe to say Gorsuch's Monday probably started off worse than yours.

Speaking of what's at stake for women, Gorsuch has a long history of attacking women's reproductive rights. Women's health isn't the only area where Gorsuch has proven to be extreme. He has also promised to protect corporations over workers, roll back the clock on LGBT rights, and restrict campaign finance reform. Another thing likely following Gorsuch into his hearings? His work at the then scandal-plagued Department of Justice. Gorsuch's hearing started at 11 AM this morning and will continue throughout the week. Watch it live here and follow along with @CAPAction.

ACTION OF THE DAY

Defeat #Trumpcare. The House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on Trumpcare this Thursday (on the anniversary of the Affordable Care Act). Check out this interactive map to find out what's at stake for your district under Trumpcare. Twenty-seven Republican House members have said they are considering voting against the bill. Make sure they do. Use this toolkit for all the information you need to demand your member defeats Trumpcare.

WHAT'S TRENDING

Confirmation. Gorsuch wasn't the only one who had a date with Congress today. This morning, FBI Director James Comey testified at a House Intelligence Committee hearing about Russian interference in the election. He came to drop intel. First, Comey confirmed that the FBI is investigating possible links and coordination between the Trump team and Russia, and has been since July. Then he said he has no information or evidence to support Trump's claim that President Obama wiretapped Trump tower (surprise!).

Disappearing data. Only two months into the Trump Administration and one month after the confirmation of notoriously anti-LGBT Tom Price as secretary of health and human services, and the Trump Administration is already trying to erase data collection about LGBT people on two critical surveys about programs that serve seniors and people with disabilities. Data on LGBT people is crucial as it can reveal disparities in how health and human services programs serve LGBT people. Read more here.

New lows. A new Gallup poll shows that President Trump has hit a new low with the American people. As of March 18, 58 percent of Americans disapprove of the President's job, compared to 37 percent who approve. Trump used to be a big fan of Gallup's approval polls, we're guessing that will change now.

Resisting Trump. Everyone's doing it. Just 60 days into his presidency Trump has wasted no time in pushing his vision of an America that excludes most Americans. That has encouraged tens of thousands of people across the country to organize to fight back. Are you one of those people? Interested in attending a daylong activist convention in Los Angeles? Fill out this application!

UNDER THE RADAR

Detentions and deportations. A retired North Carolina police chief, Chief Hassen Aden, was detained at the JFK airport last week. Hassan, who has an Italian mother and Somali father and is an American citizen, was returning from Paris when he was detained for 90 minutes. In his account of his unlawful detention he said "No one is safe from this type of unlawful government intrusion." That was proven true this morning when two migrant justice advocates were detained at a traffic stop in Vermont. Sign this petition to #FreeKiki and #FreeZully.

GOOD NEWS

Going green. Donald Trump's presidency has inspired many to get more involved in politics—including Republican environmental conservation groups. President Trump's denial of climate change, climate denier cabinet, and attacks on environmental agencies like the EPA has fueled these groups to increase efforts to recruit more congressional Republicans to work on climate change.

Mar 21, 2017 04:47AM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/20/comey-c...

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+ PR+ HER2-; Mast/SNB/ALND 12/2015 Left; 4 AC+12 T 2/2016; Rads 9/2016 Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts; HT 10/2016 Tamox

Mar 21, 2017 04:53AM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Mar 21, 2017 04:57AM - edited Mar 21, 2017 05:00AM by SerenitySTAT

#TrumpRussiaTheMovie Loopy

Mar 21, 2017 04:57AM Trill1943 wrote:

Thanks, Jackie!

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Mar 21, 2017 05:05AM QuinnCat wrote:

I'm so done with that now tired bromide Clappert said this......glad that was cleared up.

Now, can someone explain this why Obama said this: "You can keep your insurance if you like your insurance." It is the ONLY "lie" Republicans can point to, made by Obam - though it's hardly a lie (demonstrative of malicious intent), but I find it fascinating their dirth of resources when it comes to attacking Obama. On the other hand, Trump lies multiple times a day.

Sorry if this question seems out of place, but I found myself, once again, in a little tiff with a Trump former coworker and again, that Obama diddy, once again comes up. I finally feel like I need to understand why Obama said it. I suspect he was referring to employer supplied health insurance.

Mar 21, 2017 05:06AM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Nunes is incompetent.

Mar 21, 2017 05:21AM QuinnCat wrote:

Serenity - that is mind blowing. Proof there needs to be an independent investigative body. Wow.

Mar 21, 2017 05:36AM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Quinn - Listening to all the Republicans focus on the leakers shows an independent investigation is warranted. Funny to hear Spicer trying to distance themselves from Manafort and Flynn.

Mar 21, 2017 06:01AM ChiSandy wrote:

>>Now, can someone explain this why Obama said this: "You can keep your insurance if you like your insurance." It is the ONLY "lie" Republicans can point to, made by Obam - though it's hardly a lie (demonstrative of malicious intent), but I find it fascinating their dirth of resources when it comes to attacking Obama.<<

Obama said that because nowhere in the ACA did it say that one had to drop their existing insurance—or change their providers—in order to benefit or comply with the law. What he, and the drafters, failed to take into account was the instinctive profit-seeking by private enterprise, which includes the entire healthcare industry—providers & insurers alike. Nowhere did the ACA mandate that doctors & hospitals had to accept all insurance policies, nor that insurers had no right to narrow their provider networks. Nowhere did it say that employers had to keep offering the same insurance plans at the same cost to their employees. There was also no restriction as to what insurers could charge or whatever steps they could take to pass their own increasing cost on to consumers. (Had there been these restrictions, the ACA would have been DOA). The law originally even indemnified insurers for anticipated losses incurred by having to take all comers w/o regard to preexisting conditions and lifting coverage caps, and except for providers who dropped insurers for better reimbursements (as has always been their right) and insurers who narrowed their networks to negotiate lower costs (ditto), the ACA worked pretty well until the Senate flipped red in 2015 and Rubio slipped that poison pill into an appropriations bill that cut that indemnification of insurers’s compliance-related losses by 75%.

There is no way any law would pass that mandated doctors & hospitals to accept all insurance policies, nor forced insurance companies to eliminate covered provider networks. Yes, Obama should have stated that caveat, but people should have used their common sense to figure that out. He should have added “…if your insurance policy wants to keep paying for your doctor and if your doctor wants to keep accepting your insurance.” (Which is exactly the situation as it existed before Obamacare). The only way around all that is to cut private enterprise out of the health care system completely and go to strictly single-payer, which no Republican would vote for.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 21, 2017 06:52AM SerenitySTAT wrote:

This is not normal!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/ivanka-trump...

Mar 21, 2017 06:54AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wasn't it found as well, a bit after the fact, that a lot of the insurance people paid for themselves was all but worthless. But that statement by Obama should have had better wording for sure. Not sure why anyone would be foolish enough to buy insurance that pays for virtually nothing, but maybe it gave some people a sense of comfort --- well, as long as they didn't really have to try and use it.

Right Turn

Opinion A column or article in the Opinions section (in print, this is known as the Editorial Pages).

See what happens when Trump's not winning

March 20 at 1:00 PM

President Trump listens during a meeting on health care in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 13. (Michael Reynolds/Pool via Bloomberg)

Some of President Trump's support came from voters who did not agree with him on a number of issues and may not have liked him all that much. But, they reasoned, he was rich and successful so he could help America (and people like them) win. No question but that superficial aura of confidence and business experience Trump conjured up was enough to win over voters who didn't much listen to the details of what he was saying or focus on his incoherent, a-factual utterances.

Trump is losing more than he is winning — or hitting roadblocks that deplete momentum. After all, he's lost repeatedly in court on his Muslim ban. He's lost the support of Republicans and Democrats alike who say his allegations of wiretapping are bunk. The FBI director has debunked his crazy allegation and confirmed a serious investigation into Russian meddling in our election is underway. Despite his best efforts to distract from Russian interference in the election on his behalf news of his associates' connections to Russia surface regularly.

Comey: No information to support Trump's wiretapping tweets

Embed Copy Share

Play Video1:03

FBI Director James B. Comey said at a House Intelligence Committee hearing that he has no information that Trump Tower was wiretapped by former president Barack Obama. (Reuters)

FBI Director James B. Comey said at a House Intelligence Committee hearing that he has no information that Trump Tower was wiretapped by former president Barack Obama. FBI Director James B. Comey says he has no information that Trump Tower was wiretapped by former president Barack Obama. (Photo: Matt McClain/The Washington Post/Reuters)

It's not clear if Trump will lose the vote in the House on the American Health Care Act, but he's virtually assured of losing in the Senate without significant changes that then are likely to lose support from right-wing Republicans. Tax reform, if Congress ever gets to it, is already mired in a giant fight between advocates and opponents of the border adjustment tax.

In foreign policy, Trump is losing stature by the minute, presenting himself as a blunderbuss who doesn't even know how NATO works. The German defense minister couldn't take it any longer and publicly admonished the president for his repeated assertion that German "owes" us money:

German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen on Sunday rejected U.S. President Donald Trump's claim that Germany owes NATO and the United States "vast sums" of money for defense.
"There is no debt account at NATO," von der Leyen said in a statement, adding that it was wrong to link the alliance's target for members to spend 2 percent of their economic output on defense by 2024 solely to NATO.
"Defense spending also goes into UN peacekeeping missions, into our European missions and into our contribution to the fight against IS terrorism," von der Leyen said.

Trump has to create enemies to fight with and vanquish (lest he be judged on his own puny accomplishments), but his daily fight with the press has grown tiresome. No matter how much he insists news outlets are "losing" (subscriptions, revenue), legacy media is booming. And the press, unlike his presidential primary opponents, don't go away. They come back each and every day to challenge him and highlight his team's blunders.

None of this means his presidency has failed, although he is digging himself quite a hole. Trump's losing streak nevertheless might be the cause of his plummeting poll numbers. In the most recent Fox News poll, his approval dropped 5 points (to 43 percent approval, 51 percent disapproval). He's also hit a new low in Gallup polling with only 37 percent approval and 58 percent disapproval. At about this point in their presidencies, Presidents Barack Obama (62/27), George W. Bush (58/22) and Bill Clinton (53/34) were sailing along in their political honeymoons. (And this polling all comes before FBI director James B. Comey's devastating testimony today.)

Perhaps the idea of a blunt, even boorish, billionaire as president (and the hope he'd eventually grow into his job) was appealing enough (just barely) with the help of Russian counterintelligence to beat (in the electoral college) a weakened, life-long pol. But so far Trump's not maintaining the mystique of a winner. If he doesn't start winning a bit, he'll be consigned to the list of feeble, one-term presidents. Indeed, so far he most resembles Jimmy Carter, another president who never lived up to expectations.

Mar 21, 2017 06:58AM IllinoisLady wrote:

This is for anyone who didn't get to watch the opening statements made this morning. Schiff really did lay things out in a supremely cogent fashion and I hope it will keep the burden on the Repugs quite high.

Right Turn

Opinion A column or article in the Opinions section (in print, this is known as the Editorial Pages).

The Democrats have their breakout star

Right Turn

March 20 at 2:30 PM

Schiff: We'll never know if 'Russian intervention' determined 2016 election

Embed Copy Share

Play Video17:50

At the House Intelligence Committee's first hearing on Russia's involvement in the 2016 election, ranking Democrat Adam Schiff (Calif.) said the U.S. is engaged in "a new war of ideas." (Reuters)

At the House Intelligence Committee's first hearing on Russia's involvement in the 2016 election, ranking Democrat Adam Schiff (Calif.) said the U.S. is engaged in "a new war of ideas." Rep. Adam Schiff's opening statement during the House Intelligence Committee's first hearing on Russia's involvement in the 2016 (Reuters)

Ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) hardly rates as a household name. He's a bit stiff, not your typical glad-handing politician. Nevertheless, with the primacy of the Russia investigation he has become a frequent face on TV news. His effective, precise arguments, delivered largely without hyperbole, are an effective counterpoint to the often hysterical White House utterances.

At the start of the House Intelligence hearing, Schiff methodically traced the series of events concerning President Trump's Russia scandal. He pointedly reminded the audience and fellow lawmakers, "We will never know whether the Russian intervention was determinative in such a close election. Indeed, it is unknowable in a campaign in which so many small changes could have dictated a different result. More importantly, and for the purposes of our investigation, it simply does not matter. What does matter is this: The Russians successfully meddled in our democracy, and our intelligence agencies have concluded that they will do so again."

Moreover, he reiterated that Trump had personally welcomed such interference after the first Wikileaks release of Hillary Clinton's emails:

A hacker who goes by the moniker Guccifer 2.0 claims responsibility for hacking the DNC and giving the documents to Wikileaks. But leading private cybersecurity firms including CrowdStrike, Mandiant and ThreatConnect review the evidence of the hack and conclude with high certainty that it was the work of APT28 and APT29, who were known to be Russian intelligence services. The U.S. intelligence community also later confirms that the documents were in fact stolen by Russian intelligence and Guccifer 2.0 acted as a front. Also in late July, candidate Trump praises Wikileaks, says he loves them, and openly appeals to the Russians to hack his opponents' emails, telling them that they will be richly rewarded by the press.

He also recalled that Trump confidante Roger Stone correctly predicted the release of John Podesta's emails.

Schiff was just getting warmed up. He walked through Michael Flynn's calls with the Russian ambassador, his lying about them and his firing. Then, like a good prosecutor (he once was one), Schiff made his closing argument:

Now, is it possible that the removal of the Ukraine provision from the GOP platform was a coincidence? Is it a coincidence that Jeff Sessions failed to tell the Senate about his meetings with the Russian ambassador, not only at the convention, but a more private meeting in his office and at a time when the U.S. election was under attack by the Russians? Is it a coincidence that Michael Flynn would lie about a conversation he had with the same Russian Ambassador Kislyak about the most pressing issue facing both countries at the time they spoke — the U.S. imposition of sanctions over Russian hacking of our election designed to help Donald Trump? Is it a coincidence that the Russian gas company Rosneft sold a 19 percent share after former British intelligence officer [Christopher] Steele was told by Russian sources that Carter Page was offered fees on a deal of just that size? Is it a coincidence that Steele's Russian sources also affirmed that Russia had stolen documents hurtful to Secretary Clinton that it would utilize in exchange for pro-Russian policies that would later come to pass? Is it a coincidence that Roger Stone predicted that John Podesta would be the victim of a Russian hack and have his private emails published, and did so even before Mr. Podesta himself was fully aware that his private emails would be exposed?
Is it possible that all of these events and reports are completely unrelated, and nothing more than an entirely unhappy coincidence? Yes, it is possible. But it is also possible, maybe more than possible, that they are not coincidental, not disconnected and not unrelated, and that the Russians used the same techniques to corrupt U.S. persons that they have employed in Europe and elsewhere. We simply don't know, not yet, and we owe it to the country to find out.

It's that sort of precise, factual case — one that summons us to use common sense and reason — that will be necessary to cut through Trump's fog of distraction and lies. Trump won't be undone by dramatic rhetoric or showy performances. He can be revealed as a huckster and fraud only when facts and reason triumph over irrationality. If that comes to pass, a good amount of the credit should go to Schiff.

Mar 21, 2017 07:07AM - edited Mar 21, 2017 07:12AM by ChiSandy

It had to come as a stinging blow to Trump that, according to Comey, Putin's motivation for meddling in the election campaign was his hatred of Hillary Clinton for calling him out on rigging his own 2011 reelection—so he favored Trump purely because he was Clinton's opponent, not because of any admiration (there was none). Had to be an embarrassment to Trump that Putin didn't really mean he was “brilliant" after all.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 21, 2017 08:03AM badger wrote:

OMG can you say bye-bye Emoluments Clause? RESIST!!

Flynn: Wisconsin legislators put constitutional rights at risk

A constitutional convention is unlikely to call it quits after a single amendment when there is nothing to stop it.

Karen Hobert Flynn, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (Opinion), March 20, 2017

A well-funded national campaign to rewrite the U.S. Constitution to the benefit of wealthy special interests has found its way into the Wisconsin legislature. Over the last few weeks, Wisconsin Republicans have jumped on the bandwagon to push for a dangerous new constitutional convention. The proposal (Senate Joint Resolution 18 introduced last Thursday) would add Wisconsin to an alarming and growing number of states calling for a constitutional convention to impose a federal balanced budget amendment. But a constitutional convention, if unleashed, is unlikely to call it quits after a single amendment when there is nothing stopping it from making an unlimited number of changes to our nation's founding document.

Under Article V of the U.S. Constitution, two-third of state legislatures (34) can pass applications to call a constitutional convention to propose amendments. Throughout the Constitution's 226-year history, this process has never been used. Yet, 28 states have now called for an Article V convention to add a balanced budget amendment. That means Article V advocates are just six states away from reaching their goal.

The secretive big money groups behind the call for an Article V convention are counting on Wisconsin to help them reach their goal.

Several of these organizations have close financial ties to the billionaire mega-donor Koch brothers. Gov. Scott Walker is also known for his close relationship with the Kochs' donor network, which is why it's not surprising that Walker endorsed the idea of call an Article V convention a few months ago. The bill's chief sponsor, Sen. Chris Kapenga, is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), a secretive corporate lobbying group funded by the Koch brothers that has been pushing Article V legislation across the country.

A constitutional convention is dangerous process with all kinds of pitfalls. Perhaps the most dangerous is the threat of a runaway convention.

The Constitution says very little about an Article V convention, meaning there are no prescribed rules.

Therefore, there is nothing to prevent a convention from being expanded to issues not raised in the original petitions calling the convention. That means everyone's constitutional rights and civil liberties could be up for grabs. Freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, and freedom of the press could be on the chopping block, not to mention possible changes to health care access, immigration, marriage equality or voting rights.

Another major concern is how delegates would be chosen. In a time of extreme partisan gerrymandering and with the lack of convention rules in the Constitution, there is nothing to guarantee that every American would be equally represented in a new constitutional convention. In fact, according to an analysis by the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, one of the pieces of legislation currently being considered by the Wisconsin legislature would allow only the governor, Assembly speaker, and Senate president to appoint all of Wisconsin's delegates to the convention. All of those positions are currently held by Republicans, leaving open the possibility that not all Wisconsinites would be represented in a convention.

There is no question that our government needs to be reformed. Partisan gridlock and big money in politics have blocked congressional action on important issues and silenced the voices of the majority of voters who want government to function correctly. But an Article V constitutional convention won't solve those problems. Instead, it would only make them worse. In the end, a convention would simply lead to chaos, not a better democracy because it is those with the deepest pockets who are most likely to prevail.

Wisconsin legislators must reject any call for an Article V convention in order to protect our Constitution and by extension our democracy. Otherwise, we may well be facing a constitutional crisis where everyone's rights and liberties are on the auction block.

Karen Hobert Flynn is president of Common Cause.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/opinion/contributors/2017/03/20/flynn-wisconsin-legislators-put-constitutional-rights-risk/99406892/

6,523.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 21, 2017 08:21AM ruthbru wrote:

Pretty interesting that the only major news organizations in the world that didn't cover the hearings live were the Russians and FOX.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 21, 2017 08:23AM badger wrote:

Wisconsin GOP moving to call for constitutional convention

TODD RICHMOND - Associated Press - 1 hr ago

Republican legislators want to make Wisconsin the 29th state to call for a convention to add a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution, raising concerns among Democrats that the state could help open the door to ultra-conservative proposals that would drastically reshape the nation's guiding document.

Sen. Chris Kapenga of Delafield introduced a resolution earlier this month that would add Wisconsin to the list of states demanding a convention to adopt the amendment. Kapenga said in a memo seeking co-sponsors that the national debt could destroy the United States. The debt stood at $19.8 trillion as of early March, according to the U.S. Treasury Department.

"Our Founding Fathers repeatedly warned against debt because they realized it was a key driver to the decline of every major civilization," Kapenga wrote.

He said he doesn't believe either political party can solve the deficit and he's worried that countries such as China could decide to stop buying U.S. bonds, making it impossible to fund the federal government.

"Everyone seems to have their head in the sand right now," Kapenga said. "It's a strange thing to me that people have become used to these large (deficit) numbers."

Article V of the U.S. Constitution lays out two paths for amending the document. The U.S. House and Senate, by a two-thirds vote of each chamber, can refer an amendment to the states. Two-thirds of state legislatures, or 34 states, also can request that Congress call a convention of the states. Both methods require at least 38 states to ratify an amendment before it can take effect.

The state convention process has never been used but talk of using one to ratify a balanced budget amendment has been swirling among conservatives for years. Twenty-eight states have called for a convention to adopt a balanced budget amendment. The November election left the GOP in control of 33 legislatures, leaving them just one state short of being able to force a convention.

Convention opponents have warned the gathering could turn into a runaway proceeding in which delegates propose all manner of amendments. Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, a Kenosha Democrat, said American citizens' rights could be "up for grabs" at a constitutional convention.

"These are unsettling times and there is probably not a worse time to have a constitutional convention in our nation," Barca said in an email.

Balanced budget amendment supporters plan to convene this summer in Nashville, Tennessee, to propose rules for a future convention. Kapenga has introduced a second resolution that would require Wisconsin convention delegates to abide by convention rules the Assembly of State Legislatures (ASL) adopted last summer that limit amendment proposals to the subject for which the states called the proceeding. Kapenga serves as co-president of the ASL, a group of legislators working to develop rules for a constitutional convention. Kapenga also has authored a bill that calls for dismissing any Wisconsin delegates who vote for unauthorized amendments.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-gop-moving-to-call-for-constitutional-convention/article_747bffa7-9290-5d07-9c6a-21b50124b57d.html

6,523.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 21, 2017 08:51AM ChiSandy wrote:

I agree that a Balanced Budget Amendment is designed to appeal to stupid naive people who have no concept of the difference between household, business and government economics. Clinton balanced the budget…but not on the backs of the poor (except for “welfare deform”). The ASL rules would prohibit repealing the Emoluments Clause unless 2/3 of the states also call for that…and you can bet that when the public finds out what that would do, no legislator, governor or delegate who values his or her continued employment would vote to do that.

Mar 21, 2017 09:06AM badger wrote:

They want to devolve everything back to the states. Why not a Balanced Budget Amendment? I was involved in the close-but-no-cigar effort to pass the Equal Rights Amendment. Thirty-eight states is a hard sell.

Mar 21, 2017 09:09AM QuinnCat wrote:

Thank you Sandy!!!!

Mar 21, 2017 10:04AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Trump Budget Hammers Rural Trump Counties

Posted: 20 Mar 2017 01:32 PM PDT

President Trump's "skinny" budget proposal would make deep cuts in many government programs in the name of pruning the federal bureaucracy. But in doing so it might disproportionately (and surprisingly) affect a particular demographic sector of America: Trump voters. "It's unacceptable," says Rep. Hal Rogers (R) of Kentucky, whose district voted about 80 percent in favor of Trump. "The president's biggest support came from the rural and poor areas like mine ... And that area is going to be hit harder than anywhere else in the country quite frankly."

Page 694 of 747 (22,391 results)