We are 191,706 members in 81 forums discussing 142,762 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 09:27AM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 848 of 856 (25,663 results)

Posts 25411 - 25440 (25,663 total)

Aug 12, 2017 10:24AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Bring on the cannoli's I say. I'm so tired of waking up ( but thank God I do wake up ) everyday to an orange idiot that has little problem tweeting us into oblivion perhaps while he finds someone, even of his own party to pick a big fight with. I'm no fan of Mitch McConnell, or Ryan, but to go out everyday like a hooligan and try to cajole the people you need to rely on -- but hey -- Trump really doesn't care too much about his JOB. After all it is helping him make a handsome profit from his hotels, and golf courses. Well, here's hoping Muller will be able to shine a spotlight on some of that soon.

Hoping Trump keeps enough of his mind to FEEL any distress that might come his way.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 10:33AM - edited Aug 12, 2017 10:33AM by DivineMrsM

How'd you be feeling if you lived in Hawaii right now?

As Trump And North Korea Hurl Threats, Hawaii Prepares For A Nuclear Attack

State officials wanted to roll out a response plan before tensions escalated. Then the threats began.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hawaii-respons...

found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets~chemo~lumpectomy~ radiation~arimidex~

Aug 12, 2017 01:13PM - edited Aug 12, 2017 01:16PM by Trill1943

Everything's been so dark and heavy lately over Trump and NK that of course my gallows humor was triggered. And I kept hearing in my head DT saying these incredibly stupid things....so posted this on WaPo comments page last night....

The guy's a humorist's wet dream...

----------------------------------

From Donald Trump's Daily Journal:

Can't get anything done. The GOP is dog-paddling.
Mitch won't listen. He never opens his mouth but somehow he's always talking to me .
Mueller.
Comey was....easier.
Don's kind of a flop at things. He listens to too many people.
Jared's....not entirely trustworthy.
Ivanka's gleam is tarnished, damnit!
So many leaks!
Lawyers costing a mint....
All that dough from the DC hotel going to pay them...for doing NOTHING to stop Mueller!
Europeans hate me....and I hate them.
Saudis the only guys who get me. (Why don't they step up and give me a boost? Do they EVER leave the Far East?)
Germany scarier than 1939. . . .loved those Hardy Krueger movies....
(What would Hiltler say about Angela????)
And England run by another woman.
All these damned women rulers!
Macron cool, but his wife needs to smile more, like Melania.
Now the Middle---no, the Far East.
What a mess!
Why didn't MacArthur take care of it when he was there?
Marines put up that damned flag and then--outta there!
Where is Flynn? Why doesn't he ever call me? Can't we at least CHAT? Or Tweet each other?
Manafort's gone stony. Got a lot to think about. I guess.
Miss Reince. (Never would tell Kelly that....)
Shorter than me by a lot. Made him easy to be around. Soft hands.
These generals.
Need 'em but their hands are like shaking tree branches.
Japan president--can't think of his name just now--had a nice shake....
They said I said the White House is a dump!
Liars!
I said it needs....some more glisten or something.
Gilding.
Melania.
She turns in early, like Barron.
Might as well not be here.
Why don't the Saudis ever call me?
That would give me a boost.
I don't want to start World War three!
These folks watch too many blockbusters!
Too many violent videos!
If somebody got crazy, though, Barron's too young and Don and Eric too old.
I think.
How old IS Eric?
I need some Popeye's beans and rice.
Haven't had Popeye's for awhile....

1:25 AM EDT

on this article

7 Likes

2 Replies ▼

LikeReportShare

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Aug 12, 2017 01:21PM Trill1943 wrote:

That's our president: always looking on the bright side! (And a nuclear explosion DOES produce a lot of "brightness.")

---------------------------

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Aug 12, 2017 01:27PM Trill1943 wrote:

Serenity, I loved the Sir Nicholas Winton video! Thanks so much for posting it! It brought tears.

Aug 12, 2017 02:58PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

I'm glad Sir Winton lived a long 106 years and died before seeing the Nazis proudly coming out of hiding.

A car just rammed into counter protestors in Charlottesville. This is bizarro America.

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox

Aug 12, 2017 03:03PM - edited Aug 12, 2017 03:03PM by SerenitySTAT

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox

Aug 12, 2017 05:41PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

He is a racist coward.

Aug 12, 2017 06:18PM Freya wrote:

He encourages this, and now takes no responsibility. This picture terrifies me, I just cannot imagine people walking the street with weapons like that, unless they are the military. They are more armed than the police.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 06:28PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

And apparently, some of them reeked of alcohol.

Aug 12, 2017 06:37PM Freya wrote:

Well that's a perfect recipe for disaster then!!

If you like to wear camo gear so much and carry high powered rifles around, join the military. Hopefully they would not pass the psychological testing.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 06:55PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

No, they aren't qualified. Just like to play with guns.

Did the neoNazis skip history class or miss the WW2 movies? Did they root for the Nazis?

Aug 12, 2017 07:02PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

He's damaging my calm!

Aug 12, 2017 07:11PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Nazis feeling love from 45*.

Aug 12, 2017 07:52PM ChiSandy wrote:

Deport Seb Gorka—dunno how they let him in with his Nazi ties anyway. Fire Bannon.

All sides?” Didn’t see anyone but the white racists committing violence. Any President who fails to condemn and disavow these bigots and explicitly reject their support needs to be removed from office, pronto. Conservatives in the Senate (Rubio, Hatch) are calling out the white racism and neo-Nazism for what it is. The rest of Congress needs to get on board and follow suit. Failure to condemn white racism, refusal to criticize Putin, idiotic jokes about Guam tourism and welcoming diplomatic attrition as a budget boon? How much more evidence does Congress need that either the 25th Amendment needs to be invoked, Articles of Impeachment brought and voted, or both?

And any spineless GOP wimps in Congress (especially the House) who care more about their reelection than about this country deserve to go back to whatever ignorant racist backwater they came from, and stay there. Hillary should never have apologized about the “deplorables” remark—she needed to clarify and identify who and what they are.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 12, 2017 07:53PM Freya wrote:

Serenity, he is probably proud of that last comment that you showed. Somebody loves him.

Such a skewed view of Christianity, a nazi racist ending with "God bless him".

I need a stronger word than F^%k to deal with this.

Aug 12, 2017 07:59PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Not sure such a word exists!

Need this:

Aug 12, 2017 08:03PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Tempting...

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/514555845/anti-tru...

Aug 12, 2017 08:04PM Freya wrote:

I would wear that pin, with pride Serenity.

Sandy, every time he did something so wrong, I used to think this is it, he will be gone now. I have since lost that hope.

Aug 12, 2017 08:23PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Freya - I love the sticker, but I would buy it only if my husband or kids want it. I'm trying to be mindful of my purchases.

Time for some lightness. In addition to worrying about paying his legal fees...

ALEXANDRIA, VA—Embarrassed by the piles of clutter in virtually every room, former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort reportedly spent the afternoon Wednesday making his house look presentable before the next predawn FBI raid. "The next time the FBI shows up at my door without advance warning, this place is going to be spick and span," said Manafort, who fluffed couch cushions, folded a basket of freshly washed laundry, and then went room to room to empty waste baskets, noting that the house was so messy that the agents searching for incriminating documents must have thought he was a total slob. "It was humiliating standing there and watching them rifling through my desk drawers, which were just crammed with loose papers and unopened junk mail. Then I almost died when they were rummaging around under the couch and discovered the missing television remote, pieces of popcorn, and these huge clumps of dog hair—at that moment, with all those FBI officers crawling around, I wished more than anything that I had vacuumed." At press time, an extremely anxious Manafort was hoping the FBI agents that had just entered his home wouldn't notice he had forgotten to dust around the bookshelf.
http://www.theonion.com/article/paul-manafort-spen...

Aug 12, 2017 08:42PM - edited Aug 12, 2017 08:42PM by Freya

LOL.

Hmmm...........looks around, hope no one has a reason to raid my home until the floors are cleaned.

It's not just Americans who do this -

Report: Most Americans Now Getting Their News While Peeking Out Between Fingers

WASHINGTON—In a comprehensive analysis of the nation's media consumption habits, a report published Friday by the Pew Research Center found that most Americans now receive their news while holding their hands over their eyes and peeking out between their fingers. "Whether in print, online, or televised form, our research indicates that 80 percent of Americans engage with news by cupping their hands over their eyes and occasionally steeling themselves to glance at the content before them," said lead author Dr. Jacob Elam, noting that after opening a link to a news story, four out of five Americans stand up and walk away from their computers while muttering "Oh god, oh my god" before returning to their seats. "We also found that two-thirds of the American public now require at least 30 seconds of agitated hesitation before even typing 'cnn.com' into the address bar and, once on the site, immediately direct their attention toward several more palatable entertainment or sports articles before anxiously edging their way toward the day's top headlines." According to the researchers, while Americans tended to believe they'd be better off taking a day or two off from the never-ending news cycle, a solid majority throw their hands up, say "Fuck it," and visit Twitter again.

Aug 12, 2017 08:47PM kad2kar wrote:

I never realized that we live in such a HATEFUL,

NASTY country!!!!!!!!   What happened to our BEAUTIFUL UNITED STATES of AMERICA?? 

Why does orange man think the REAL SUPREME BEING (every religion calls GOD a different name, HE is still the SUPREME BEING) thinks he deserves anything? 

If I were 50yrs younger I would be out demo-ing (knowing what I know now).  I was a wuss with a baby and another on the way back in the day. 

Watch the tRump when he is speaking .  If he is telling a lie, he gives us a cute shoulders in and wiggleling of those same wimpy shoulders. 

@TRILL, not sure exactly what your nose problem, but try AYR.  I thought I had allergies, doc said NO, but try AYR, either gel or mist. It does work nice.

I am 7yrs10 days out from a uni, the 2nd came in Dec of '10, I remember some numbness, but mostly FREEZING boobs, even when I was in the throes of massive heat (NOT) flashes.  I think I have feeling now?  My weirdness is, feeling like I am filling up my boobs to breastfeed, which, I never did.  I did fill up once, before no milk pill took effect.

SENDING EVERYONE   HUGS AND ALL KINDS OF SORTS (not sure what kind we need)                                                                   LOVE      k2k

Aug 12, 2017 08:48PM - edited Aug 12, 2017 10:40PM by badger

Edited to delete video of Jake and Elwood. Not funny when it happens IRL.

Officials: White nationalist rally linked to 3 deaths

By ASSOCIATED PRESS | 08/12/2017 12:25 PM EDT|Updated 08/12/2017 10:21 PM EDT

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — A car plowed into a crowd of people peacefully protesting a white nationalist rally Saturday in a Virginia college town, killing one person, hurting more than a dozen others and ratcheting up tension in a day full of violent confrontations.

Shortly after, a Virginia State Police helicopter that officials said was assisting with the rally crashed outside Charlottesville, killing the pilot and a trooper.

The chaos boiled over at what is believed to be the largest group of white nationalists to come together in a decade. The governor declared a state of emergency, and police dressed in riot gear ordered people out. The group had gathered to protest plans to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, and others arrived to protest the racism.

Matt Korbon, a 22-year-old University of Virginia student, said several hundred counter-protesters were marching when "suddenly there was just this tire screeching sound." A silver Dodge Challenger smashed into another car, then backed up, barreling through "a sea of people."

The impact hurled people into the air. Those left standing scattered, screaming and running for safety in different directions.

The driver was later arrested, authorities said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/12/white-nationalist-rally-charlottesville-virginia-241568

6,721.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 09:22PM ChiSandy wrote:

Good on Gov. Terry McAuliffe for calling out the neo-Nazis for what they are and telling them to get out of VA. Good on the mayor of Charlottesville too. Shame on Cong. Dave Brat (Eric Cantor’s vanquisher): after first condemning white nationalism (good for him) and saying it’s not what Jesus, Madison & Jefferson (well, some may differ about TJ’s attitude on race) intended, he then played victim by whining about all the “hatred” he gets from “the left” on social media.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 12, 2017 09:48PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Such a day.

David Duke: Racist Rally Keeps Trump's Promises

Posted: 12 Aug 2017 04:41 PM PDT

As the official start of the "Unite the Right" rally kicked off in Charlottesville, Virginia, former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke said the gathering of white supremacists, neo-Nazis and far-right individuals pointed to a future fulfillment of President Donald Trump's "promises." "This represents a turning point for the people of this country," said Duke in video uploaded to Twitter by Indianapolis Star photojournalist Mykal McEldowney. "We are determined to take our country back. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump. That's what we believed in, that's why we voted for Donald Trump. Because he said he's going to take our country back. That's what we gotta do."

I detest racists period but I hate the David Dukes of this world with deep passion. I also detest those who need to take their country back. As though it is theirs alone. Some supreme being put you on this Earth, but darn if I know why. You are a plague and your attitude is wholly despicable.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 09:50PM IllinoisLady wrote:

You know your doing something wrong when you have to go about doing it this way.

Scott Pruitt Carrying Out His EPA Agenda in Secret

Posted: 12 Aug 2017 06:29 AM PDT

When career employees of the Environmental Protection Agency are summoned to a meeting with the agency's administrator, Scott Pruitt, at agency headquarters, they no longer can count on easy access to the floor where his office is, according to interviews with employees of the federal agency. Doors to the floor are now frequently locked, and employees have to have an escort to gain entrance. Some employees say they are also told to leave behind their cellphones when they meet with Pruitt, and are sometimes told not to take notes. Pruitt, according to the employees, who requested anonymity out of fear of losing their jobs, often makes important phone calls from other offices rather than use the phone in his office, and he is accompanied, even at EPA headquarters, by armed guards, the first head of the agency to ever request round-the-clock security.

Aug 12, 2017 10:33PM badger wrote:

This article is long but interesting. Couldn't figure out what to cut so here's the whole thing.

Mike Pence and the art of staying clean

The vice president has developed a playbook for steering clear of scandals. The Russia probes are testing those skills.

By DARREN SAMUELSOHN and MATTHEW NUSSBAUM, Politico, 08/12/2017

Vice President Mike Pence has so far avoided being dragged into the muck of the Russia probes that have engulfed President Donald Trump, his top aides and his family members. It's no accident.

Unlike his boss, Pence's Twitter feed is silent about a "Russia hoax" and "witch hunts." He's denied having knowledge of critical discrepancies in Michael Flynn's story — gaps that have landed the former national security adviser in prosecutors' crosshairs. And he's taken pains to note he wasn't even part of the Trump ticket at a controversial June 2016 meeting where a Kremlin-linked lawyer offered dirt on Hillary Clinton in a meeting with Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort.

The Vice President's office has also instituted strict rules against speaking to the press, and any staffers have to clear it with Pence's new chief of staff, Nick Ayers, his communications director or press secretary before talking to reporters. And unlike in the West Wing, where staffers have taken to slinging arrows and airing unattributed grievances through the media, the rules have held firm in Pence's orbit, where infighting is rare.

While Pence has become known for his aw-shucks persona, the former Indiana governor and longtime congressman is also a cunning politician who has developed a playbook for staying clean over his decades in the spotlight.

Ryan Streeter, who served as Pence's deputy chief of staff when he was governor, said Pence has a way of creating "barriers" between himself and wrongdoing, or even the appearance of wrongdoing.

Streeter said Pence used to tell staffers: "If there's a line you don't want to cross, you don't even walk up to it — you stop three feet in front of it."

"He possesses the judgment to stay away from things that can create problems later," Streeter said about Pence's time as governor, which included his controversial flip on a religious freedom bill but was generally scandal-free.

That doesn't mean, however, that Pence has stayed squeaky clean in the White House – or that he will be able to stay out of the Russia scandal as the probes intensify. At the very least, he will be a target for investigators eager to question key players in Trump's orbit.

"He's in the middle of something, even though he may not be in the middle of it," said Stanley Brand, a white-collar defense lawyer who represented George Stephanopolous during the special counsel investigations into President Bill Clinton's Whitewater land deals.

Politically, Pence's credibility on the Russia probe has taken some hits — especially when his answers on Russia have been contradicted by facts that later emerged. "Where he's gotten himself in trouble is making statements defending Trump, then having other facts come out," said William Jeffress, a white-collar attorney who represented Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, during the Valerie Plame CIA leak investigation.

The contradictions have happened more than once. Pence said during the transition, for example, that Flynn had not discussed sanctions during calls with the Russian ambassador. That was later revealed to be untrue, and Pence pleaded ignorance.

Pence also defended Trump's firing of FBI director James Comey by pointing to the recommendations made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein that were widely circulated by the White House. But Trump soon announced he would have fired Comey regardless of the recommendation, again landing Pence in an awkward spot.

And despite Pence's attempts to steer clear of Russia-related landmines in the White House, his mere proximity to Trump and presence in the West Wing makes him of keen interest to investigators – and it's unknown what the questioning could uncover.

"All the senior staff are potential grand jury witnesses," said Adam Goldberg, a former Clinton White House special associate counsel.

Pence, for example, can eventually expect to face a range of questions from special counsel Robert Mueller and others investigating the Russia probe over conversations he had during the transition period with Flynn, as well as Trump's firing of Comey.

On the Flynn front, there is a record showing Pence got a heads up about some of the retired lieutenant general's controversies through his role leading the Trump post-election transition, even though he previously claimed he wasn't aware of the activities.

Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, sent Pence a letter on Nov. 18 raising alarm about Flynn's conflicts of interest, namely his work lobbying on behalf of the Turkey government and his December 2015 paid trip to Moscow. The transition team that Pence led acknowledged the letter 10 days later.

But in early March, Pence told Fox News that he was just learning of Flynn's lobbying activities. "Well, let me say, hearing that story today was the first I'd heard of it," he said.

Pence being caught unaware also doesn't square with a Feb. 19 interview then-White House chief of staff Reince Priebus gave to NBC where he was asked about Flynn's firing — and the two-plus week gap between the White House knowing about the national security adviser's remarks to Pence concerning sanctions and his firing.

"The vice president is in the loop on everything," Priebus replied.

With Comey, Pence can expect to face questions from federal and congressional investigators about what he was told by the president both before and after Trump pulled the FBI director aside in the Oval Office after a Feb. 14 meeting that had included the vice president, Priebus, Sessions and Kushner. He's also likely to be questioned in the obstruction of justice investigation centering on Comey's firing, given that his statement about the justification clashed with Trump's.

There's another reason Pence may be called to answer questions. In multiple interviews, he's dismissed any contact between the Trump campaign and Russian election meddlers.

"Of course not," Pence said in a mid-January interview with CBS just days before the inauguration. "And I think to suggest that is to give credence to some of these bizarre rumors that have swirled around the candidacy."

"All the contact by the Trump campaign and associates were with the American people," he told Fox News Sunday that same day.

Recognizing the legal stakes ahead, Pence has hired a prominent lawyer, Richard Cullen, a former Virginia attorney general and U.S. attorney under President George H.W. Bush. But still unclear is how the vice president will pay for the help.

Pence is hardly wealthy. As vice president, he's making $230,700 a year, which comes on top of his May 2017 financial disclosure that show he was making $109,749 a year as Indiana governor, along with three state pensions for retirement. His wife had no income and his own bank account had between $1,001 and $15,000. Pence also had at least $105,000 in student loan debt for his children's education.

Jarrod Agen, who recently got a promotion from communications director to deputy chief of staff, said Pence had ruled out using taxpayer funds or money raised through his political action committee to pay for his lawyer.

Legal experts say they don't think Pence's legal bills have gotten too big at this early stage of the process. To start, Pence likely has provided documents to his lawyer but hasn't spent much time preparing to give testimony or answer questions under oath. "You can get to $10,000 real quick and even $50,000. But I don't see Pence as incurring some huge legal bill," Jeffress said.

Pence has made one significant move that could signal an awareness of the perilous political path ahead. He recently replaced his longtime aide and chief of staff Josh Pitcock with Ayers, a 34-year-old Republican operative from Georgia who was a top Pence aide during the 2016 campaign.

The move seemed to show that, in Trump's Washington, there's more of a premium on the skills of a political knife-fighter than a policy wonk. Trump's White House, after all, does remain under a state of siege over the Russia probe, and the talk that the president could fire Mueller prompted Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham to recently warn that such a move could be the "beginning of the end" of the Trump administration.

Pence is not, however, in an entirely unprecedented position.

Past vice presidents from Gerald Ford to George H.W. Bush and Al Gore can attest to the challenge of maintaining one's personal political fortune — and limiting legal liability — while also demonstrating loyalty to a president caught in serious scandal.

Robert Bennett, a white-collar attorney who represented President Clinton in the Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones cases, said Pence appears to be doing a fine job of navigating the situation — so far.

"He appears to be out of the news, so somebody is doing something right," Bennett said. "There's an old expression: 'Mushrooms don't get hit by lightning'—that's because they grow underground."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/12/trump-russia-pence-staying-clean-241545

6,721.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 10:57PM badger wrote:

I like the sound of this-

Anti-Trump Independents Are Starting to Organize

Is this the humble beginnings of a third party?

By EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE, Politico, August 08, 2017

The independents are banding together.

That is, 13 independent candidates who feel they don't fit in the Republican Party in the age of Donald Trump are joining forces with a few registered Democrats, all looking at runs for governor and Senate in 2018. The plan is to create shared infrastructure and funding for a slate of campaigns around the country, in the hopes of making this more than the latest go-nowhere whining about how awful the two-party system is.

But with a historically unpopular Republican president in the White House and a Democratic Party in epic disarray, they think this is actually their moment.

On Friday, leaning hard into the symbolism of declaring their independence, the group—put together by the Centrist Project, founded by Charles Wheelan, an academic at Dartmouth—will meet at the Union League in downtown Philadelphia for a weekend-long mini-convention. They'll get briefings on campaign mechanics and polling. They'll get a rundown on potential staff hires and interested donors. A member of En Marche, French President Emmanuel Macron's party, will do a briefing on how a party that didn't exist a year ago won the presidency and now a majority in the National Assembly. Two prominent former Republican operatives— Matthew Dowd, chief strategist for George W. Bush's 2004 campaign, and Reed Galen, who worked on both Bush campaigns and was John McCain's 2008 deputy campaign manager—will weigh in with advice. The model, they hope: Alaska Gov. Bill Walker, a lifelong Republican who quit the party two months before the 2014 election, picked a Democrat as his lieutenant governor/running mate, and squeaked out a win against the Republican incumbent. Walker recently announced he's running for reelection, and he says he never looked back at his decision to leave the GOP—and that was before Trump split the party with a working-class message and heretical stances on entitlement programs, trade and basic decorum.

Keep reading at: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/08/off-message-walker-alaska-215469

Aug 12, 2017 11:03PM badger wrote:

but this... not so much...

The Madman and the Bomb

The nuclear launch process once haunted Nixon's aides. 43 years later, is it finally time to reform the system?

By GARRETT M. GRAFF, Politico, August 11, 2017

The scene from the White House south lawn on August 9, 1974, is vivid in the nation's memory. That morning, President Richard Nixon famously boarded Marine One for the final time, put on a wide grin and fired off a final double-V to the assembled crowd.

But one of the most interesting aspects of that day is what didn't happen on the south lawn: Even though Nixon had more than two hours left in his tenure, the most critical tool of the modern presidency had already been taken away from him. He never noticed it, but the nuclear "football" didn't travel with him as he boarded the helicopter, and later, Air Force One for his flight back to California.

In a democratic country without hereditary power, royal crowns or bejeweled thrones, the nuclear football is in some ways the only physical manifestation of our nation's head of state.

Yet, on that August day, it had been quietly removed from Nixon's hands—remaining behind at the White House with the incoming commander-in-chief, Gerald Ford.

Moreover, Defense Secretary James Schlesinger recalled years later that in the final days of the Nixon presidency he had issued an unprecedented set of orders: If the president gave any nuclear launch order, military commanders should check with either him or Secretary of State Henry Kissinger before executing them. Schlesinger feared that the president, who seemed depressed and was drinking heavily, might order Armageddon. Nixon himself had stoked official fears during a meeting with congressmen during which he reportedly said, "I can go in my office and pick up a telephone, and in 25 minutes, millions of people will be dead." Senator Alan Cranston had phoned Schlesinger, warning about "the need for keeping a berserk president from plunging us into a holocaust."

Cranston's concern is something that has nagged at nuclear war planners since the earliest days of the Cold War. The U.S. nuclear system is designed to respond to a commander in chief's launch order instantaneously. Missiles would leave their silos just four minutes after the president's verbal command. During the Cold War, there wasn't a second to waste.

That unilateral launch authority is so powerful, so unchecked, and so scary that, years before Watergate, Nixon had turned it into its own geopolitical strategy, the so-called Madman Theory, with which he threatened the Soviets and the Vietnamese that he might actually be crazy enough to nuke Hanoi—or Moscow—if they didn't accede to his demands. The "mutually assured destruction" of the Cold War was predicated on the idea that the leaders of both superpowers were rational enough to avoid a war that would end with the destruction of both nations. The Madman Theory forced the world to consider a more frightening option: That the man in charge of the nukes might not be rational at all.

The world is contemplating that possibility again this week, as Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump lob nuclear threats across the Pacific. Nearly 72 years to the day after a silver-plated B-29 bomber dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Nagasaki, killing more than 60,000 in an instant, and 43 years to the day after Nixon was stripped of the nuclear Football, the U.S. president threatened to rain "fire and fury like the world has never seen" on Kim's isolated regime. North Korea, in turn, threatened to turn the U.S. mainland into a "theatre of nuclear war" and announced plans to bracket Guam with nuclear-capable missiles. Are we watching two tough-talking "madmen," rational actors playing a calibrated game, or are we seeing something else?

Keep reading at: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/11/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-richard-nixon-215478

Aug 13, 2017 12:33AM Freya wrote:

David Duke on twitter:

I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists.

For some reason it wouldn't let me do a link.

Page 848 of 856 (25,663 results)