We are 204,851 members in 81 forums discussing 148,409 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Topic: I say YES..Part Deux..Continued,.for the StrangeDeadRockerGroup

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2014 09:27AM

bluedahlia wrote:

Here we go.............

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Page 992 of 1,076 (32,256 results)

Posts 29731 - 29760 (32,256 total)

Jan 12, 2018 11:12PM Trill1943 wrote:

Sandy, I can't believe that DT is in "excellent health"--that sounds so rehearsed.

Something's up with the New York Times.....I've been reading tweet after tweet after tweet where subscribers of the NYT and others are saying that it's so...I dunno because I don't subscribe....the general drift is that it's goofing up and missing things and becoming sorta pro-Trump and it's reporters are leaning that way.....many are SO disappointed in the venerable Times lately (actually this is nothing new...) Don't know what's up with them...

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Jan 12, 2018 11:25PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Hasn't just been lately. I thought about subscribing a year ago, but I didn't like some of their articles. Went with Washington Post.

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox

Jan 13, 2018 09:12AM ruthbru wrote:

CNN

The number of Norwegians who became US citizens average about 100 a year. There's a reason: Norway has a rich economy, generous social welfare programs, a highly-rated (and free) education system, and exemplary gender parity practices.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 10:26AM Trill1943 wrote:

The junk that spews from Donald Trump's mouth never fails to amaze. He's either pathologically purblind, so dim-witted he doesn't get it, or is being deliberately absurd and illogical just to appease his deplorable base. I have to believe the latter because he's not a dumb person and can't help having become--if he wasn't before--highly sensitized to such very hot topics as immigration and how one speaks about it.

He said he wants more folks such as Norwegians to come to this country vs from other spots he calls shit-holes.

Outside of the fact that Norway's doing much better than the US and its citizens don't hanker to come here permanently, why would citizens from such a country want to come to a country whose leader would say such a thing?

Dx 10/31/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Jan 13, 2018 10:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

You have not lived a perfect
day, even though you have
earned your money, unless
you have done something
for someone who will never
be able to repay you.

Ruth Smeltzer

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 10:52AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I would think, but it is just my own opinionated thoughts, that there are several countries that would give pause for lots of thought in coming here. Not only do we have Trump, but as well the sorts of white nationalists and ( like Bannon and Miller ) others who are hell bent on deconstruction and the ruination of all the yrs. our government has been advancing. There are things that need fixing ( good adjustments ) and we know this --- but both parties likely needed a good wake-up call and wow, is it coming now.

I 'assume' that anyone from elsewhere ( because it ends up in the news ) sees how inadequate and downright scary Trump is and that he is wholly inadequate. There is good reason he is not going to London for the opening of our Embassy there, as he will not get welcomed. Just because we live on the edge all the time doesn't mean that the other countries aren't just as dismayed and disgusted with having everything they previously knew about the U.S. upended completely. We cannot be trusted and I'm quite sure there is almost no respect at all for Trump and why sure there be. Who wants to have to court a lunatic ??

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 10:57AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Terribly snarky -- but the way it so often seems to be.

Image may contain: text

Jan 13, 2018 10:58AM ananda8 wrote:

Here is the article on Trumps physical from the New York Times. The doctor's name appears to be correctly spelled. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/us/politics/trump-physical-exam.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fpolitics&action=click&contentCollection=politics&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

“She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.”

Jan 13, 2018 11:13AM Trill1943 wrote:

Am so glad the UK is not welcoming DT....

When you think about it, that's a pretty amazing event in and of itself and says so much!

A nation from which we sprung, a nation we joined to fight Nazism, a nation that's been like a boon companion on SO many levels for SO many years--DECADES!!--spurns the President of the United States!

And that he tries to fool people that HE'S the one in charge of the decision is laughable!

He must know how dumb his followers are.

He at least knows what he doesn't know--but they don't.

Jan 13, 2018 11:28AM Trill1943 wrote:

When I made a joke about it awhile back, I thought they were just joking around re his uncleanliness...but they meant it--literally. Ewwwwwww.......

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is seen on the balcony of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is seen on the balcony of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London. (Reuters)

The whiff of controversy has long surrounded WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, but, according to a new report, he just reeks.

Assange's lack of cleanliness was reportedly one of the reasons behind Ecuador's recent attempts to extricate him from his five-year standoff in its embassy in London, the International Business Timesreported.

"It seems he doesn't wash properly," a highly placed source told the news outlet. The issue prompted repeated complaints from staff at the UK embassy, according to the report.

The WikiLeaks founder has been holed up at the embassy in Knightsbridge since 2012 and was recently granted Ecuadorean citizenship.

The IBT report emerged after Britain rejected Ecuador's application to assign the 46-year-old diplomatic status.

Others have complained of Assange's questionable hygiene practices in the past.

"Julian ate everything with his hands and he always wiped his fingers on his pants. I have never seen pants as greasy as his in my whole life," one of his closest aides, Daniel Domscheit-Berg, told IBT.

Jérémie Zimmermann, a friend and former colleague, wrote in 2012 that "unless the people around him force him to shower, he might not change his clothes for days."

U.S. officials told IBT that arresting Assange remains a priority, but would not confirm whether the government would request his extradition should he be arrested in the U.K.

Jan 13, 2018 11:39AM Trill1943 wrote:

Updated 9:20 AM ET, Friday December 15, 2017

S. Mitra Kalita is the author of "Suburban Sahibs," a book about post-1965 immigration transforming suburbia. She is CNN Digital's vice president for programming. The views reflected here are her own

(CNN)A century ago, the philosopher John Dewey coined the term "social endosmosis" to describe an ideal democracy, made up of many parts dependent on each other. He warned of the dangers of a community whose interests limit "full interaction with other groups, so that its prevailing purpose is the protection of what it has got, instead of reorganization and progress through wider relationships. ... isolation makes for rigidity and formal institutionalizing of life, for static and selfish ideals within the group."

S. Mitra KalitaS. Mitra Kalita

Once upon a time, Dewey could have been describing the origins of America's suburbs. In the planned community of Levittown, New York, houses were built identically, rows and rows of lot size 60 by 100, unfinished attics peeking through sloped roofs. Thestandard lease for the first Levitt houses infamously specified they could not ''be used or occupied by any person other than members of the Caucasian race.'' That was 1947.

Fast forward to 2017, when it might be the suburbs that revitalize democracy, or at least restore it to Dewey's vision: A system that works best when individuals do not just advocate for themselves but advocate for others.

The political upsets we've seen this year in New Jersey, Virginia and Alabama represent not so much a blue wave as an affirmation of moderation and civility and neighborliness. It's a far cry from the polarized America of tweets, headlines and political rhetoric.

In fact, it is a rejection of that -- and a window into what the suburbs have become. Most Americans do not live in such extremes. Like Doug Jones, the incoming Democratic senator from Alabama, they might support the right to bear arms (with background checks). Or like Virginia's governor-elect Ralph Northam, they might not want to outright demolish Confederate statues but move them to museums.

The narrative of America's great divide in 2017 doesn't actually reflect most of the country and where they actually live, geographically or politically. We've been entirely miscast.

Most Americans are neither coastal elites nor inhabitants of flyover country (both objectionable tropes on their face). Most Americans live in the suburbs, a geographic term the US government is curiously loath to define. But suburbanites are not; a survey by an economist at Trulia, the online real-estate site, finds that 53% of Americans say they live in one. The suburbs mirror US demographic trends; minorities represent 35% of suburban residents, and in 2010, the share of blacks in large metro areas living in the suburbs surpassed 51%, meaning the majority of black Americans are suburbanites, according to Brookings.

Fourteen years ago, my book, "Suburban Sahibs" delved into this upheaval of America's bedroom communities, based on dozens of interviews with Indian immigrants in central Jersey redefining local schools, politics and the economy. I found that suburbs are no longer bastions of "white flight" nor the isolated places of their founding. They embody many, if not more, of the vicissitudes of cities: diversity, crime, great schools and failing ones, too.

As much as we focus on the assimilation of immigrants (and melting pots and salad bowls as metaphors), the reverse also happens: They change the attitudes of the people around them. When you end up with seven pages of Patels in a yearbook, a certain give-and-take is inevitable; the cafeteria serves vegetarian meals and the senior center offers yoga and tai chi, alongside line dancing. Whites value diversity, too; these recent elections show them sticking up for their neighbors and a certain way of life.As much as a referendum on President Trump, Democratic victories in New Jersey and Virginia and Alabama are also a noteworthy demonstration that suburbs no longer reflect the sameness of their midcentury founding. In Virginia and New Jersey, college-educated whites overwhelmingly voted blue. That was not the case in Alabama, but pollsters point out that Jones would not have won on the strength of the black vote alone; he needed a coalition of votersfrom multiple and overlapping demographics -- urban, suburban, rural, black and white -- to eke out the victory.

Political scientists talk about the rural-urban divide as the defining issue of the 20th century, but the suburbs in America defy this simple categorization. Some areas exhibit the same traits of cities, where neighbors don't know each others' names, let alone their politics. Schools in urban areas are more segregated than ever, some worse than before Brown vs. Board of Education. Suburbs, in contrast, have created more diverse spaces, from schools to soccer leagues to the local Olive Garden.

As Dewey predicted, the collision of different groups of people eventually creates a certain fluidity and unity among them. What he didn't account for was social media and its effect on polarizing political discourse. A recent University of Pennsylvania study finds the use of political words on Twitter were concentrated among a small group of people who are either "very conservative" or "very liberal." Moderates simply do not wade in. This reticence on the internet could extend to voter turnout -- and perhaps it did in 2016.But America does not live on Facebook, even if it sometimes feels that way. Americans live in places that care about jobs and schools and taxes. Issues such as health care and anti-corruption efforts seem to matter to suburban voters more than immigration. Brookings also reports the suburbs are growing faster than urban areas, partly because of the lack of affordable housing in cities, making them younger, more diverse. Their outlook -- and values -- feel increasingly cosmopolitan.

As much as things have changed since my book's release, suburban politics still hover in the middle of the spectrum. In my book, I followed an Indian community organizer's campaign for county freeholder, a local legislator position. Pradip "Peter" Kothari had been a Democrat. When the party wouldn't let him run, he switched to the GOP. He lost. He's now a Democrat again.

Suburban denizens like him are a fickle, complicated people. What changed this year? I called him last month to talk about New Jersey's results. "We have representation now. That is different than before," he says, referring to the number of Asians in office. Indeed, voters seem drawn to women, minorities and other normal people running on what I call "people-like-us" platforms. In places like New Jersey, minorities can no longer only be energized as a constituency -- they must have candidates on the ballot.

And another thing, Kothari said with great certainty: "Social media cannot win elections."

On Facebook, people who disagree often do so in the ugliest of terms. They might even unfriend each other. In suburbia, they are people like my parents, who ended up with competing mayoral-candidate signs on their New Jersey lawn; "She came to the house and was nice," my mom said of her choice. My dad: "He's a friend of a friend."

In Alabama, too, a massive get-out-the-vote effort, especially in the state's "Black Belt," relied on door-knocking and carpooling. And it's no longer the red state of Jeff Sessions' Senate victory in 1996. Between 2000 and 2010, the state saw the second fastest growth in its Hispanic population, a group Jones was sure to call out and thank in his victory speech.

This complicated history and ever-changing demographics make suburbia a critical battleground for Republicans and Democrats. As we've seen on social media, when opinions get extreme, the moderates shut down. In internet parlance, they become lurkers. The big question over the last few months is whether they would do the same when faced with a choice between parties moving further to the right and left.

To be sure, the racial unrest at the roots of suburbia's creation are tough to fully abandon. This past year's deadly hate crimes unfolded in the suburbs: a stabbing on a commuter train in Portland and a shooting at a bar in Olathe, Kansas, outside Kansas City.

Follow CNN Opinion

Join us on Twitter and Facebook

A few months ago, my daughters witnessed an angry driver shouting at passersby to go back where they came from. They recounted the story to their grandfather, my father who immigrated here in 1971. He remained calm, as though he understood this country better than us natives.

Jan 13, 2018 11:43AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Ruth,

Those were my exact thoughts about Norway! Knowing what the political, economic and social welfare structure is like, I can't imagine why they would want to come here. As a matter of fact, I think it's time to abandon the long held belief that "Everyone wants to come here."

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 08:00PM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 13, 2018 08:37PM ruthbru wrote:

Heck, I think that I will move to Norway myself!!!!!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 09:13PM - edited Jan 13, 2018 09:17PM by exbrnxgrl

I usually post pics of my family on another thread, but I'm posting them here because we had my younger dd's baby shower today. The lovely brunch party provided me with over 4 hours of relaxation, good food, friends and family AND, no thoughts of DT and the daily drama/stress he brings to our world. For those few hours I could pretend he didn't exist! Miles (big brother to be) and Frankie were assisting in opening presents 😍😍 . The pearls that DD is wearing were my mother's. She adored babies

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 09:15PM ruthbru wrote:

Aww......how lovely! Congratulations to All!

Jan 13, 2018 10:20PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Exbronxgrl -- good for you. Getting to snatch some of the total freedom and time off in such a nice way. Love hearing about the pearls. You have a very nice looking daughter and family. Also love the little ones with all those balloons.

Jan 13, 2018 10:37PM ChiSandy wrote:

Ananda, I read that NYT article before I posted. Nowhere in the article does it show a photo of an actual written statement on Walter Reed (or Dr. Jackson's) letterhead, nor does it indicate that Jackson spoke or wrote those actual words. The article only says "....said in a statement." The actual provenance of such "statement" is not specified. The source of the "statement" is--per the e-mail released to the press, a screenshot of which Rachel Maddow displayed last night, is Sarah Sanders: the e-mail, from the WH, says "a statement issued by Sarah Huckabee Sanders." The Times' proper spelling of Dr. Jackson's first name is due, no doubt, to competent copy editors. I stand by my post unless and until Dr. Jackson expressly says (preferably spoken, not written) otherwise.

Besides, what does "the exam went exceptionally well" prove or even mean? It doesn't denote anything about Trump's health, in general or specifically. It could even mean simply that Trump was a compliant and cooperative patient, or that no equipment malfunctioned. Trump emerged from Walter Reed after three hours. Don't tell me that any part of that time was spent in the waiting room, filling out forms, or at the "Admitting" or cashier's desk doing insurance paperwork. Something isn't adding up.

And if anything untoward happened, any out-of-the-ordinary tests were administered, or any results showed anything troubling, we will learn none of it. Dr. Jackson is bound by HIPAA and cannot release any information to which Trump doesn't consent. There needs to be an exception to HIPAA for any information regarding a President's or Veep's health that would affect their ability to perform their duties in the nation's best interests--including national security, including portending any potential premature end to their terms. HIPAA is a statute, not a Constitutional amendment, and is subject to being selectively modified by Congress....sorta like the....Affordable Care Act. Sauce for the goose...

Attaining the highest office in the land affords privileges that ordinary citizens do not have. Concomitantly, it should also require temporarily losing some rights ordinary citizens do have--losing those rights for the duration of leading the nation. Sorry, but there needs to be a price to be paid for becoming POTUS (not just a pay cut or inability to drive, shop or even carry keys). The law should specify: Want to keep your medical history & conditions (and tax returns) private? Then seek a different line of work.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 10:55PM Trill1943 wrote:

Very sweet photos, exbrnxgrl....you should be proud...and am so glad you had fun!

Jan 13, 2018 11:18PM JKL2017 wrote:

YES, ChiSandy! I agree totally with your suspicions regarding DT's physical & SHS's statement. Your suggestions are just what's needed. But I can't imagine the gutless Repubs passing anything along those lines, can you?

Dx 2/2/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/19/2017 Multi-catheter: Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 14, 2018 09:24AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:26AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:28AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:29AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:30AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:31AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:31AM Trill1943 wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 09:38AM ruthbru wrote:

Jan 14, 2018 10:59AM badger wrote:

From the Politico History Dept.: Why the 25th Amendment doesn't apply to tRump, no matter what he tweets

There's little question that the 25th Amendment provides a mechanism whereby the vice president and Cabinet can declare a president incapacitated—whether physically or mentally. But strictly speaking, the amendment's framers seemed to anticipate that such incapacitation would come in the form of a natural or man-made event—an assassination attempt, a fall, a natural degeneration of health. They didn't expressly foresee a future in which the American electorate would install in the White House someone already unfit to serve.
    7,353.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 11:00AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The value of all service lies in the spirit in which you serve and not in the importance or magnitude of the service. Even the lowliest task or deed is made holy, joyous, and prosperous when it is filled with love.

Charles Fillmore

Page 992 of 1,076 (32,256 results)