We are 214,133 members in 82 forums discussing 152,641 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: CRAZY TOWN WAITING ROOM - TESTS coming up? All Stages Welcome.

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 18, 2015 05:14PM - edited Feb 20, 2016 09:31PM by SlowDeepBreaths

SlowDeepBreaths wrote:

I'm hoping there isn't another thread like this. I did a search and saw one for stage 4, but nothing for everyone else. My very special friend on BCO (Tomboy), and I have talked about a Crazy Town thread for awhile now. I know she will be happy I finally took the bull by the horns!!

I wrote a little story about visiting Crazy Town last year on my blog, and I received some lovely emails from women all over the world talking about how terrifying those feelings can become. I thought I would share that story with my BCO sisters. I know many of you can relate to the craziness of worrying about recurrence or progression. I think my experience epitomizes the crazy place our minds can go. I've found when I can laugh at myself, I always feel better.

"My master bath has its own little room for the toilet. The sink, shower and tub are all in the same room. At night when I have to use the bathroom, I always turn on the closet light which is right next to my sink. This way I don't have to turn on all the lights above the sink. They are very bright and there are a lot of them. I do this so the brightness doesn't wake up my DH. Being the OCD person I am, I always wash my hands after using the restroom – even in the middle of the night.

One night last week, I was doing my usual ritual and I caught a glimpse of a big blackish/brown mark on the upper left side of my chest.This thing was huge. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest when I caught a glimpse of it. I'm sure many of you will know what I'm talking about - that feeling of dread.I ran my fingers over it and it felt raised. I couldn't imagine what it could be – it was SO big. I thought, "Oh great, here we go again, now I've got skin cancer." Then I decided to risk waking DH up by turning on the millions of lights above the sink. Then I got a closer look. UNBELIEVABLE!!……it was a piece of chocolate from a cookie I had eaten earlier!!!!! Apparently it had melted into my chest and I went to bed that way. Can you imagine?? Now if that doesn't give you a good laugh, I don't know what will. CRAZY TOWN!!!"

I have many stories since diagnosis. I call it going to Crazy Town. Some of them are funny, others not so much. I usually go there in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, and my mind wanders. There are no trains, planes or busses out of Crazy Town in the middle of the night. I also go there at times when I'm waiting on test results. I hope we can all share our Crazy Town stories. Talking about it has helped me to stay on the outskirts of the town. I've been really good about not visiting lately, but this week it's been a real challenge.

If you have tests coming up, or you just have a day where you're worried more than usual, or if you just want to hang out and chat, please stop in to visit. It is my hope we can have some fun here and get each other through on difficult days with humor, kindness and hugs!!

Much love to all,

Beppy ツ

P.S. If you've just been diagnosed, I strongly suggest starting a blog. Whether it be just for yourself, or you'd like to share it with others. It's been a good outlet to get my feelings out as well as a wonderful timeline to refer back to when needed.

Great info about breast cancer and PTSD:

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/cancer-treatment-leaves-survivors-with-ptsd-scars-031215#3

Dx 4/2016, TN mets to lung. VATS left upper lobe wedge resection. "Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese Proverb Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Page 458 of 486 (14,562 results)

Posts 13711 - 13740 (14,562 total)

Mar 9, 2018 08:46AM Cubbie2015 wrote:

I'm not sure about the dietitian. My doctor wants me to lose weight, but the dietitian says diets don't work, people gain back the weight in 2-5 years, etc. She didn't seem to think that me losing weight was a good idea. Or maybe she's just against deliberate attempts to lose weight. I'm a little skeptical about her. She's a fat positive dietitian, which I knew before I went to see her, but I don't think I agree with that philosophy.

Weight loss aside, she did recommend that I split up my calcium doses into two different times of the day. We also talked about changing the way I eat - I eat very little for breakfast because I'm not a morning person, and then I'm hungry all morning, which she thinks is leading to me eating too much later in the day when I do have meals. She recommended I try to have a couple of morning snacks since I'm not interested in eating more for breakfast. She also recommended I eat more low-fat dairy (skim milk, that sort of thing) for additional calcium. And she said that getting more exercise would help with my cholesterol.

She talked a lot about the importance of complex carbohydrates, and she says during my next visit we'll talk more about fats.

Last night I got woken up again by another twinge of back pain, this time on my left side. Once again it only lasted for a second, and didn't really hurt that much, not more than a 2 or 3 on the famous scale, but woke me up. I had just gotten to sleep only 10 minutes before, too, after having tossed and turned for hours. Since this was the second time in two weeks, I called my GP's office. I asked if I needed to be concerned, since it was one quick pain, and I was fine afterward. Of course the nurse says that with my cancer history, I need to come in and be seen by the doctor. She made an appointment for me for next Tuesday afternoon.

1.8mm micromet in sentinel node; BRCA negative; chose bmx due to family history; age 43 at diagnosis; Oncotype 15 Dx 9/4/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/8/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 12/17/2015 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/12/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 6/29/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 9, 2018 01:25PM Lucy55 wrote:

Cubbie ..hmm ..I'm a little sceptical about the advice from the dietician too...surely lowering our calorie intake by eating less sugary and fatty foods , ( mind you I have a terrible sweet tooth ! ) and replacing them with fruit and vegetables , and loosing weight that way has to be a healthier option ...I hope your pains have stopped ..

Stay safe in the snow ladies !!!

I have a busy day ..we play with our table tennis group from 9-12 this morning , and then going to out dinner tonight with another couple .

Hugs

Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014

Mar 9, 2018 04:32PM Cubbie2015 wrote:

Lucy, that sounds like fun. I was invited to a play this evening, but I'm just too tired after my restless night. I'd probably fall asleep in the middle!

Yes, I'd think you would lose weight from eating healthier in a lot of cases, certainly in mine. I wonder if the dietitian is just against weight loss as a goal. It was a hot button, I changed the subject.

I haven't had any more pain, even though I did setup and tear down for a music rehearsal this afternoon, complete with moving speakers on hand carts, setting up a tarp, and laying out and taking up a mile of cable. It's just weird that this lone mild pain woke me up this morning and yet I have no problem doing relatively strenuous stuff.

1.8mm micromet in sentinel node; BRCA negative; chose bmx due to family history; age 43 at diagnosis; Oncotype 15 Dx 9/4/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/8/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 12/17/2015 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/12/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 6/29/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 10, 2018 03:24AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Looks like the next storm will miss me!

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired!

Mar 10, 2018 06:44AM proudtospin wrote:

mommy, yeap, snowstorm 3 is going to miss the east coast, happy day! Sunny sky so good chance isnow we have will melt.

Pt gave me exercises and goodness but i think they are helping, aint a gonna quit

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Mar 10, 2018 03:46PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Finally a break from these storms!

Mar 11, 2018 02:07PM octogirl wrote:

glad you got a break from snow, Mommy and others!

my knee is a bit better, but I am spending a lot of time elevating and icing it, per doc's orders. Restful, but boring. Knee has to be above my nose when I elevate it, so basically I am flat on my back in bed or on the couch for fairly long periods. Hard to read or play on the computer....I just listen to music and nap. Obviously, there are worse treatments.

Hope all are having a good weekend!

Octogirl

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/7/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 11, 2018 02:15PM octogirl wrote:

Cubbie, the only time I ever lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off for more than just a few months, I went on a low-sugar, low carb diet. It was not really low fat, however....and I do agree that the goal should be to eat a healthy diet. Ultimately, I suspect that it is necessary to cut calories to lose weight (my low carb diet probably did that..). But, still, you need to be comfortable with your dietician: perhaps ask her to explain the reasons for her recommendations?

Also, I hope that back pain twinge is nothing. Let us know what the doc says.

Hugs to all

Octogirl

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/7/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 11, 2018 07:47PM - edited Mar 11, 2018 07:48PM by Cubbie2015

Thanks, Octo. I'll have a feeling that this dietitian and I just don't fit well. She was highly recommended, and she didn't take 3 months to get into see like the local people. I'm going to try to get what I can from these sessions, but follow my oncologist's advice above all else.

That knee elevation does sound boring. Have you tried listening to podcasts? I listened to some over Christmas when I was doing some boring tasks that kept me from reading or watching a video (cutting out loads of construction paper animals for kids) and some of them are really interesting.

Mar 12, 2018 12:05PM proudtospin wrote:

afternoon crazies! Word is we may actually get storm number 3 tonight. Teenager i found after last storm called and asked if i would like her shoveling help! Good deal so i am set if we get it agoin.

I am having some redness on my hands and bottom of feet. It is a side effect of my meds but really hurts so i called onco, she said i could skip tonights pill and next week doc will talk. Took a tylonel for now.

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Mar 12, 2018 03:00PM Lucy55 wrote:

Octo ...napping is one of my favourite pass times :-)

Iris ..Keep warm !!! I hope skipping a dose helps the redness ..

Hugs

Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014

Mar 12, 2018 08:43PM ChiSandy wrote:

Octo, I remember Bonesmart.com Nurse Josephine's mantra: "Toes above nose." I bought a wedge for that purpose which supports the leg evenly in a straight line (to facilitate full extension and avoid the soft-tissue strictures that can occur if you put anything under the back of the knee that allows it to bend at rest). I think I found mine on Amazon. For icing, the cheapest store-brand bag of frozen peas or corn kernels can conform exactly to where you need it--just remember to write "ICE BAG--DO NOT EAT" on it. There's even a recipe on the website for making your own refreezable gel ice-packs out of water, rubbing alcohol and several plies of ziploc bags. It's a real and liberating milestone to not have to use that polar-ice-cuff machine with which they send you home.

Iris, hope that a short chemo-pill-"vacation" can ease the hand-and-foot syndrome w/o impairing the drug's effectiveness.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 13, 2018 07:59AM proudtospin wrote:

gee i remember when i had foot surgery years ago, pal brought me 2 bags of peas, they worked well, tied themon my foot with old elastic band

I read a on line post of someone with the hand and foot thing, her doc gave her something, forget name, but it cleared it up. My pet scan is set for next week so need to hang on.. also need to hit the store for more cortesone 10 cream

Snow in nj seems to be a bust but my sis in boston lost power

Mar 13, 2018 03:27PM Cubbie2015 wrote:

I saw my doctor today, and he examined my back and looked at my x-rays and other info from my physical in January. Everything seemed OK. He said that he has had other patients taking the same blood pressure medication as I am describe the same intermittent mild pain. He said the drug I take is a calcium channel blocker, and it can cause muscle spasms that create these pains. He suggested do some stretching before bedtime.

Mar 14, 2018 11:13AM Molly50 wrote:

Hi everyone! Just checking in. Things are crazy at home. No evening nurse for over a week due to illness. Wyatt is still not well but seems to be slightly better on antibiotics. HUGS everyone!

54 years old. Chek2 mutation. Family history of BC. Oncotype Dx 13 Extensive LVI Dx 6/8/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/29/2015, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery 9/4/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 7/22/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 14, 2018 05:16PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

We got hit with Storm #3. Had about 8 inches in the yard from it. Now they are talking we may see Storm #4 next week. Mama Nature is either confused cause she had one too many adult beverages or she went off her medication that keeps the weather normal and she needs to get back on them!!!!!!! Lol

Mom is doing well with her walker. She loves it!

Had to buy a new Crock-Pot as the one I had for 11 years died on me today as I was trying to make a roast for dinner!!!!

Mar 14, 2018 06:02PM TaRenee wrote:

I think Mother Nature is indeed intoxicated.

Dx 7/29/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 9/26/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/29/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 15, 2018 01:58AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

lol

Mar 15, 2018 04:19AM Lucy55 wrote:

(( Mollyy ))..sending healing prayers for Wyatt ..

Mommy...I LOVE my Crock-Pot..I actually have two of them ..I like to have 2 different curries brewing in them if we have family and friends over for dinner in the winter . I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can start using it again..

Iris ..will be in your pocket for the pet scan ..what day do you go??

Cubbie ..I hope the stretches help ..if not would you be able to swap to a different blood pressure meds ??

I think I am getting a cold ☹️....funny ..I was only telling someone a few days ago how I haven't had a cold in years ..how no self-respecting germ would dare live in me ..etc .! 😷

Hugs to all ..

Mar 15, 2018 06:55AM proudtospin wrote:

lucy, pet scan is wed, then i meet with onc on fri to discuss results. Dang hands are sore and that is from the med so on one hand hoping for good results but wouldnt mind new med. Course, maybe it would get reduced in dose

Question today is do i have it in me to hit the gym for a bit

Mar 15, 2018 01:55PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

I also have two Crock-Pots. My big one is usually for stews, chili and soups and meals too large for the small one.

Mar 16, 2018 07:42AM proudtospin wrote:

hit the gym for just a hour or so, of course some was exercising my jaw, always good to see pals that i have not seen in some time. Gym pals think i look good, guess that is i now know what is to do

Mar 16, 2018 02:15PM Lucy55 wrote:

Mommy ..I love to cook a chili too..

Iris ..haha ..nothing better than exercising the jaw 🤗

Looking forward to today ..Going with the family to South Bank for lunch..Octo you would know where that is !...then to see Aladdin the Musical this afternoon .

Hugs to all

Mar 16, 2018 03:53PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Love my Crock-Pots. Making cooking so much easier. My new one is programmable which makes cooking even easier.

Mar 17, 2018 08:32AM Cubbie2015 wrote:

Lucy, I don't think I'd be able to change blood pressure medications at this point. It took a whole year to find medications that worked for me and didn't cause serious side effects. I'll just have to hope the stretching works.

I don't have a crock pot, just a rice cooker.

Mar 18, 2018 12:16PM octogirl wrote:

Hope you had fun at South Bank and stayed off that cold, Lucy!

I don't have a crock pot but am thinking of getting an instapot: my friends who have one all swear by it...I spent a few days in the SF bay area, enjoying visiting old haunts and old friends and eating good food: all of that seemed to make my knee feel a lot better!

Hugs to all, especially the quiet crazies...

Octogirl

Mar 18, 2018 02:26PM - edited Mar 18, 2018 05:54PM by rainnyc

Nothing like a nice, juicy discussion of instant pot vs. crockpot to draw me back onto the boards! At my last cookbook club get-together, a few members nearly came to blows over the relative worth of them, especially the instant pot! A couple of women use them constantly; another one has tried it and doesn't see what the fuss is. Another swears by her rice cooker but is contemplating the instant pot. Me, I have a couple of Revereware stock pots and a Le Creuset dutch oven that was a wedding gift. And leek and potato soup on the stove at this very moment. And by the way, everyone should read Salt Fat Acid Heat, the cookbook for our next meeting. It is really fascinating!

Nice to see you back, Cubbie! And happy quite belated birthday to Octogirl. And hello to everyone else.

I've been not in Crazytown but in torn-in-two-town for the past month, since my mother fell. She's back home after a stint in the hospital and rehab, but she seems to me to be declining quickly, whether due to the dementia, the cancer, or more likely, a combination of the two. My siblings and I have been with her 24/7, but we're hoping to put in place some overnight care within the week, so we can, at least to some extent, go on with our lives. We're all stretched pretty much to the limit. I'm deeply grateful to Atul Guwande's Being Mortal as the single best guide to helping us thread a path through the jungle of possible care strategies to find the level of care that's necessary and not intrusive. On Friday afternoon, when I was with her, she had what I suspect was a seizure, not grand mal, since she was conscious the whole time, but frightening nonetheless. I spoke with the on-call doctor, and we decided against the emergency room. But it did make me realize that any of us could be there when something like this this happens, and it helps to have a game plan. She has a good geriatrician, who gets the big picture. But the medical establishment really isn't set up to help people who are simply in terminal decline. There are scary symptoms, and we need to figure out what they are, or will be, so we will have the means of comfort, if not cure, on hand. Of course she is scared of what's going on, but she also is in such cognitive decline that she doesn't fully understand it, and it's hard to know how to verbalize things in a way that will help her. A very great challenge.

Meanwhile, I hope that all are well and anticipating spring. Or: SPRING!!! We've not had terrible storms in NYC, but the area where my mother lives has had quite a bit; fortunately, she did not lose her power, but many in her part of NJ did.

I returned last night from three days with my mom, so fried that last night I simply had to watch the following, ever-so-silly video, so I leave it here as my gift to all Crazies, everywhere!

Dx 4/2015, IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 5/12/2015 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/12/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 9/22/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Mar 18, 2018 03:44PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 19, 2018 06:40AM proudtospin wrote:

good jolly! Need to visit with tax person, will see the result, not much income or deductions but have bunches held back so i usually get back, will see with dt how things are this year

Mar 19, 2018 01:14PM Molly50 wrote:

rainny, I love the video! I am so sorry about your mom. After watching mine decline painfully slow for at least 11 years with Alzheimers believe me I KNOW how hard it is. I really miss her. Even the out of it and can't talk her. I used to go talk to her not knowing if she understood but it made me feel better. Hello crazies! Iris, you just amaze me with how calm you are. Wyatt is a bit better the last few days. What a rollercoaster this is!

My LE comes and goes at this point. If my two doctor's office could get their act together and refer me to the right place maybe a therapist could cure me while it is still early! Today my left arm feels heavy. The exercises I got the from LE forum really help though.

Octo, are you in Reno yet?

54 years old. Chek2 mutation. Family history of BC. Oncotype Dx 13 Extensive LVI Dx 6/8/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/29/2015, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery 9/4/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 7/22/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Page 458 of 486 (14,562 results)