Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Remember When!!

Options
ceanna
ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
edited June 2020 in Bonded by Breast Cancer

Friends and I recently started talking about things in the "good old days." I thought it might be fun to try here and see what people of all ages remember from different eras of their lives! Just add to the thread with a brief post and we'll all enjoy remembering when!!

Comments

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

I'll start off by asking, remember when you used to "dial" a phone? You literally stuck your finger in the numbered hole in the phone and moved it around--each digit required a separate movement of the dial!

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember when you had to use your key to unlock your car doors?

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited April 2020
    Options

ceanna, my mother answered the phone one day (decades ago), the woman who was calling had failed the wrong number and her response was " Oh, I stuck my finger in the wrong hole again! " probably even easier to do with push buttons or cell phone keypad.I

Anyone remember party lines?

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh, definitely remember party lines! We had 8 neighbors on our line and had to wait to use the phone, and deal with nosy neighbors listening in!!

Remember when toilet paper and tissues came in various colors? Pink, blue, etc.!

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember the first TV that had shows in color! My husband and I were talking about the shows we watched growing up.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

dating myself here, but remember the milk man and milk came in glass bottles w cardboard cap

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited April 2020
    Options

I lived way out in the country and still had a party line phone in 1989 before I moved to town. It would have been cost prohibitive to do otherwise, because we would have been solely responsible for the cost of running 1/4 mile of line to do otherwise

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

I barely remember, but remember when you had to go through the operator to make a long distance call, and it was a very rare, almost emergency situation, to make such a call. Now, with cell phones, we don't even recognize when we're making a call across the miles!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,078
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yoga - we also had a milkman who delivered milk (and cream) in glass bottles.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember when you had to get up and walk to the tv to change the channel?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Ceanna , a good one!! Had to get up to change channels and sat through all the commercials b/c there was no way to mute other than get up to turn volume down....way too much trouble.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember when you first saw the Wizard of Oz on TV and were totally scared of the flying monkeys?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

I’m still freaked out by those darn monkeys! They are so creepy. Much scarier than the wicked witch

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,168
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember the clicker button thingy on the floor of a car to dim, or put the lights on bright

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember manual typewriters, carbon paper and correction tape?

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

And how to make multiple carbon copies, and pray you didn’t make a mistake. And how to fix it if you did. and the smell of the mimeograph machine copies.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Spookiesmom, yes!! Can’t you still smell that fluid??

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

OMD yes!! Wooohoooo!!!!!

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Keep the stories coming!! What a good laugh during rough weeks!! I can really relate to the ditto masters, smell, and the blue streaks I always ended up with on my face when I touched the wrong part of the master and then my face! (I guess I should have learned then not to touch my face!!)

Remember when you wore short A-line dresses with zippers all the way up the front!

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

when it was called cellophane tape.

When girls couldn’t wear pants IN school. To school was ok.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

remember those little discs that you snapped into the 45rpm records.....and record players that let you stack records to drop one at a time.....and how the records always got scratched from doing this?

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

78 rpm records.

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

steam train whistles. Trains with real dining cars, white cloth table cloths, flowers on the tables.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

When you backed up the first personal computers on a cassette tape!!! And the computer only held about a few MB of information!

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Playing jacks. Street roller skates w the key to tighten them.....and the knee scabs from taking a spill.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited April 2020
    Options

Our first computer was a Victor 9000, had no internal memory, required two of the large floppy discs (they were truly floppy!) to run and to save documents. When we got our first computer with internal memory (all of 20mg) we thought we had really come up in the world-- and filled that memory in less than a year. Fun memories!

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2020
    Options

Love this thread !

Remember when you had to “roll” the windows down in your car with a handle and listened to AM radio?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

And when seat belts were lap belts only.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember trying to sleep with brush rollers in your hair!

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh, ceanna,yes! oh how we tortured ourselves!

Remember practically being able to cook dinner while waiting for dial-up