Topic: In Favor of Feminism: Share Your Views

Forum: Bonded by Breast Cancer — For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 13, 2021 10:13AM - edited Jul 14, 2021 04:48AM by divinemrsm

Posted on: Jul 13, 2021 10:13AM - edited Jul 14, 2021 04:48AM by divinemrsm

divinemrsm wrote:

I'm starting this thread for those of us who support feminism and its beliefs, so we can exchange thoughts, ideas, inspiration, frustrations, personal stories, news stories, famous people stories, memes, book & video recommendations and other matters pertaining to women's equality.

Here's a general definition of feminism: the belief in full social, economic, and political equality and opportunities for all genders. It's about respecting diverse women's experiences, identities, knowledge and strengths, and striving to empower all women to realise their full rights.

[[****Edited to add: The above description is taken from several websites and aligns with my personal view of what feminism means to me. You may have other thoughts. What does feminism mean to you? Please feel free to discuss.]]

Only in the last ten years or so have my eyes been open to the patriarchal world we live in. Since then, I'm continually aware of the many women (including from this forum and also myself) who've been conditioned (by society, religion, family tradition, etc.) to prioritize others before themselves; to take on a "less than" persona, to minimize themselves and their contributions. As women, we need to recognize our value individually and collectively, advocate for ourselves and treat ourselves with the same care and loving-kindness with which we treat others.

Please honor the spirit of the thread. It's not for opposing views. The intention is for those of us with similar views on feminism to have a space to gather, share insights and find support. I feel I will have a lot to contribute. Will you join me?

found lump 12-22-10—ilc—er+/pr+/her2—stage iv bone mets—chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex—March 2019-ibrance/aromasin* —Sept 2019-verzenio* —March 2020-xeloda*

Page 14 of 65 (641 results)

Jul 19, 2021 05:21AM - edited Jul 19, 2021 05:22AM by divinemrsm

Here are the pioneering women who will be on new quarters

Beginning in 2022, women's faces will appear on quarters for the first time, and the public will help choose who will be minted.

May 20, 2021, 9:00 a.m. ET

A quarter featuring Maya Angelou

Beginning in 2022, women's faces will circulate through the nation's currency on quarters — something long overdue, according to Rep. Barbara Lee, a California Democrat who has been working on this legislation since 2017.

"I wanted to make sure that women would be honored, and their images and names be lifted up on our coins. I mean, it's outrageous that we haven't," Lee said. "Hopefully the public really delves into who these women were, because these women have made such a contribution to our country in so many ways."

Lee began drafting legislation on the coin program with help from Rosa Rios, the Treasury official who oversaw the United States Mint under former President Barack Obama. She introduced her bill, the Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act, with two Republicans, Reps. Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio and Deb Fischer of Nebraska. It was signed into law in 2020.

The program will have the United States Mint circulate up to five chosen women on the reverse (tail) side of the quarter-dollar from 2022 to 2025 — allowing for up to 22 women to have their faces on U.S. quarters by the end of 2025. The Mint selected the first two women to be in circulation by 2022: the civil rights activist and poet Maya Angelou and astronaut Dr. Sally Ride. Three others were announced in June: Wilma Mankiller, Adelina Otero-Warren and Anna May Wong.

"In circulation means if you go to purchase whatever in the grocery store … the chances are you may get a quarter with Dr. Maya Angelou or Dr. Sally Ride," Lee said.

It's not just about the coins, but about what they represent and the power they have to start a dialogue in this nation around women who were trailblazers in their field, Lee said. The last time a woman appeared on U.S. currency was in 2000, when gold $1 Sacagawea coins went into circulation, honoring the Indigenous woman who helped the Lewis and Clark expedition explore the Louisiana Purchase territory.

The women on the faces of the quarters

Maya Angelou (April 4, 1928 – May 28, 2014)

Dr. Sally Ride (May 26, 1951 – July 23, 2012).

Wilma Mankiller (November 18, 1945 – April 6, 2010)

Adelina Otero-Warren (October 23, 1881 – January 3, 1965)

Anna May Wong (January 3, 1905 – February 3, 1961)

Link to full story: https://19thnews.org/2021/05/here-are-the-pioneering-women-who-will-be-on-new-quarters/

found lump 12-22-10—ilc—er+/pr+/her2—stage iv bone mets—chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex—March 2019-ibrance/aromasin* —Sept 2019-verzenio* —March 2020-xeloda*

Jul 19, 2021 05:23AM divinemrsm wrote:

Jul 19, 2021 05:24AM divinemrsm wrote:

Jul 19, 2021 08:07AM divinemrsm wrote:

I was happy to read the two posts about Ida B. Wells. For one thing, I didn't know about her! I will read up more about her, but this is an excerpt from an NPR article:

Wells, who was born a slave in 1862 in Mississippi, was a 30-year-old newspaper editor in Memphis, Tennessee, when she began her campaign against lynching. Wells' crusade was prompted by the 1892 lynching of a man whose first child was her godchild. She traveled the South over several months interviewing witnesses and reading reports of similar events, which she published in the newspaper she co-owned and edited, The Memphis Free Speech and Headlight. In 2020, Wells was awarded a posthumous Pulitzer Prize for her reporting on the lynching of African Americans.

Although she was threatened frequently because of her work, she helped to found several civil rights organizations including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the National Association of Colored Women.

Jul 19, 2021 08:21AM - edited Jul 19, 2021 09:57AM by divinemrsm

I was also pleased to read that Ida B. Wells has recently had *two* monuments unveiled in her name.

One of the topics of women's equality that I'm drawn to is how very few monuments there are of women in the U.S. compared to the vast majority of men. I follow an organization called "Monumental Women", an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization created in 2014.

Can you believe that for 167 years, NY Central Park had no statues of real women until MW came along? CP had Alice in Wonderland, Mother Goose, Juliet with Romeo, witches, nymphs, and angels – but no real women.

Through much much work, MW broke that bronze ceiling just last year, 2020, with a monument of Women's Rights Pioneers Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. 2020 was the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment and 200th anniversary of the birth of Susan B. Anthony. All three women were New Yorkers as well.

Monumental Women has the further goals of increasing awareness and appreciation of Women's History through a nationwide education campaign and challenging municipalities across the country and across the world to rethink the past and reshape the future by including tributes in their public spaces to the diverse women who helped create and inspire those cities.i

Jul 19, 2021 01:11PM alicebastable wrote:

TB9 and Typhoon, thank you for saying so civilly and eloquently what I wanted to say - and I'm afraid I'd have been neither civil nor eloquent.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach. Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/28/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jul 19, 2021 01:28PM melbo wrote:

I don’t understand the argument that supporting trans rights is somehow taking something away from women’s rights. It’s not a zero sum game. There is room for making the world a better place for all of us.

The one argument against trans rights I have seen in this thread that resonates with me at all is that some people (mostly men) are using trans rights as an excuse to be jerks and forcing their way into spaces where women should feel safe(ish) to prove they can do it. That’s not a trans issue — that’s an assholes issue. Supporting trans rights won’t stop the true assholes or rapists from forcing their way into spaces they don’t belong.

Diagnosed right before my 42nd birthday. One husband, two dogs, one cat and no kids. Dx 7/16/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 8/6/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 8/6/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/6/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/20/2020 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Radiation Therapy 1/31/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jul 19, 2021 01:51PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

“ That's not a trans issue — that's an assholes issue.“

Love it, melbo

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2021 02:01PM armom4 wrote:

I have an issue with this argument:

"some people (mostly men) are using trans rights as an excuse to be jerks and forcing their way into spaces where women should feel safe(ish) to prove they can do it."

What straight man is going to pretend to be trans so they can get into women's spaces? This is just a BS excuse that pearl-clutchers use to deny people the right to use the bathroom they want.

Diagnosed age 35. ATM gene mutation.Severe reaction to Taxol and Taxotere. Just Tamoxifen now Dx 1/3/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/11/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Targeted Therapy 3/27/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/27/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 4/17/2020 Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 5/29/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 7/1/2020 Surgery 3/3/2021 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 6/8/2021 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant

Jul 19, 2021 02:14PM - edited Jul 19, 2021 02:39PM by melbo

ARmom4 - yes exactly. Someone earlier in the thread brought up the point that some men were doing this. I agree that it's a problem if someone were doing such things, but it's definitely not a reason to not support trans rights. And like you, I question how much this might truly be happening

Diagnosed right before my 42nd birthday. One husband, two dogs, one cat and no kids. Dx 7/16/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 8/6/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 8/6/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/6/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/20/2020 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Radiation Therapy 1/31/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 14 of 65 (641 results)

Scroll to top button