Topic: In Favor of Feminism: Share Your Views

Forum: Bonded by Breast Cancer — For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 13, 2021 10:13AM - edited Jul 14, 2021 04:48AM by divinemrsm

Posted on: Jul 13, 2021 10:13AM - edited Jul 14, 2021 04:48AM by divinemrsm

divinemrsm wrote:

I'm starting this thread for those of us who support feminism and its beliefs, so we can exchange thoughts, ideas, inspiration, frustrations, personal stories, news stories, famous people stories, memes, book & video recommendations and other matters pertaining to women's equality.

Here's a general definition of feminism: the belief in full social, economic, and political equality and opportunities for all genders. It's about respecting diverse women's experiences, identities, knowledge and strengths, and striving to empower all women to realise their full rights.

[[****Edited to add: The above description is taken from several websites and aligns with my personal view of what feminism means to me. You may have other thoughts. What does feminism mean to you? Please feel free to discuss.]]

Only in the last ten years or so have my eyes been open to the patriarchal world we live in. Since then, I'm continually aware of the many women (including from this forum and also myself) who've been conditioned (by society, religion, family tradition, etc.) to prioritize others before themselves; to take on a "less than" persona, to minimize themselves and their contributions. As women, we need to recognize our value individually and collectively, advocate for ourselves and treat ourselves with the same care and loving-kindness with which we treat others.

Please honor the spirit of the thread. It's not for opposing views. The intention is for those of us with similar views on feminism to have a space to gather, share insights and find support. I feel I will have a lot to contribute. Will you join me?

found lump 12-22-10—ilc—er+/pr+/her2—stage iv bone mets—chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex—March 2019-ibrance/aromasin* —Sept 2019-verzenio* —March 2020-xeloda*

Page 21 of 65 (641 results)

Jul 24, 2021 02:11PM serenitystat wrote:

I prefer pants to skirts. Hated being forced to wear a skirt. When my daughters went to school that required a uniform, they were allowed pants or skirts. My daughters preferred the skirts even in the frigid weather. 🤔

Their choice and no rulers.

BCO leaked our private data. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ . . . . . "Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶Dx.11/2015.IDC.L.IIIC.10/11nodes.++- ☕️12/2015.L.Mast 🛀2/2016.4AC.12Taxol.fasted 🖼9/2016.Rads.Nodes.ChestWall.15+4boosts 🥐10/2016.Tamox(2.5y) 🌲4/2019.Exemestane 🎭12/2019.Ibrance/Xgeva 🕊

Jul 24, 2021 04:46PM chicagoan wrote:

I went to a service today, dedicating the new monument to Ida B Welles-"The Light of Truth." It is really magnificent. The photos don't do it justice but I wanted to share because I know at least one of you contributed money for the construction of the piece. I really like her definition of a woman.

Dx 9/21/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 9/26/2016 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 10/26/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jul 24, 2021 09:00PM mommamonaster wrote:

Don't know if this has been brought up, but I just finished watching Picture a Scientist on Netflix. It's a frustrating, beautiful, anger inducing, tear producing, hopeful documentary about the challenges women face in STEM careers.

Jul 25, 2021 04:40AM mountainmia wrote:

momma, yes, I watched Picture a Scientist this spring. It's all that you just said.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Jul 25, 2021 05:05PM - edited Jul 25, 2021 05:07PM by divinemrsm

Chicagoan, thanks for posting the the Ida B. Wells monument pictures! Gorgeous!

Mommamonaster, thanks for the Netflix recommendation, I will probably watch it this week. I often put earbuds in and watch shows on my ipad when I'm at the kitchen island making dinner.

MinusTwo, thanks for the book recommendation, I will check for it on my library's web site.

Trish, haha! I got the biggest laugh out of your political savvy by including dress code changes for boys as well as girls. So smart of you!

Once we had a relaxed dress code at school, I wore pants but still wore dresses or skirts sometimes, too, because I liked them. It was just nice to have the choice.

found lump 12-22-10—ilc—er+/pr+/her2—stage iv bone mets—chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex—March 2019-ibrance/aromasin* —Sept 2019-verzenio* —March 2020-xeloda*

Jul 26, 2021 05:06AM divinemrsm wrote:

Jul 26, 2021 03:22PM divinemrsm wrote:

Mommamonaster, wow! Thank you so much for recommending “Picture a Scientist” on Netflix! I watched it today and was blown away by everything about the film, the stories, the insights, the outrage. It was so well done! I join you in recommending it, and am going on FB to recommend it too.

Here’s a description of it I found online. “ Picture a Scientist handles the volatile subject of sexual harassment faced by women in science, by following the paths of three scientists. The film documents the incredible bravery of these women in taking up the issue. Sexual harassment is not just being forcibly subjected to unwanted attention or being asked for sexual favours; this is but the tip of the iceberg. The submerged part of the iceberg is what we often ignore: alienating behavior, opportunities denied, and much more as the film brings out. The film also spotlights the bold and inspiring scientific luminaries who are changing the culture of science and providing new perspectives on how to make it more diverse, equitable and open to all.

Jul 26, 2021 07:46PM mommamonaster wrote:

MrsS - Glad you enjoyed it.

Jul 27, 2021 11:14AM - edited Jul 27, 2021 11:14AM by divinemrsm

mommamonaster, I plan to watch the film again. It's compelling because these scientists collected the evidence required to prove their points. Other scientists could not turn their back on that. The results of the one experiment where an identical resume was sent out with the only difference being one had a man's name and one had a woman's name was mind-boggling.

Jul 27, 2021 11:15AM divinemrsm wrote:

Page 21 of 65 (641 results)

Scroll to top button