Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Does really graviola kills cancer cells?

dindinha
dindinha Member Posts: 1

I JUST WANT TO INVITED EVERYBODY TO TAKE A LOOK ON THIS PLANTS, IT'S CALLED GRAVIOLA,THEY  SAY    IF YOU TAKE IT FOR 6 MONTHS YOU GONNA KILL  EVERY  CANCER CELLS,  IS NATURAL,IS CHEAP, WHO KNOWS???UndecidedTHERE IS ALOT TO READ ABOUT IT ON LINE.

Comments

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited October 2008

dindinha, apparently there has been no research on Graviola with humans. 

Question: Graviola: A Worthwhile Botanical Against Cancer?
    I read about a South American herb called graviola, which supposedly boosts immunity and has anti-tumor properties. Are there any scientific studies supporting these claims?

Answer: I've seen Internet hype on graviola, which is being widely promoted as a cancer-fighting herb. Some Web sites claim that it is 10,000 times stronger than the chemotherapy drug Adriamycin, and that it is effective against prostate, lung, breast, colon and pancreatic cancers. None of this is true.

I asked Tieraona Low Dog, M.D., director of education at the Program in Integrative Medicine here at the University of Arizona, about graviola. Dr. Low Dog, an expert in botanical medicine, told me that it is the common name for Annona reticulata, also known as custard apple, a tree that grows in South America and the Caribbean islands and is prized by locals for its delicious fruit and medicinal properties. She explained that the unripe fruit is used traditionally to treat diarrhea and dysentery. The leaves are taken internally to eliminate worms and other parasites and are also applied topically for poorly healing wounds. The root bark is used to reduce fever.

The idea that graviola is an effective cancer fighter comes from research at Purdue University's School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences on the active components of the tree, unique substances known as annonaceous acetogenins. The Purdue investigators found them to be potent inhibitors of cancer cells while leaving normal cells alone. They also found the compounds to be effective against drug-resistant cancer cells.

But these were in vitro results - that is, the results of adding the annona derivatives to cancer cells growing in test tubes. This is a long way from clinical trials to determine the safety and efficacy of these compounds in people with cancer. In fact, I have found no human studies at all of graviola, for treatment of cancer or anything else. We do not even have basic safety data on graviola extracts. What's more, there is no way to tell whether commercially available graviola contains any of the compounds studied at Purdue. Indeed, the compounds used in the test tube studies didn't come from the custard apple tree at all, but from the leaves of annona glabra, a related tree that grows in Florida and produces a fruit called pond apple.

Dr. Low Dog says she wouldn't take or recommend graviola or its extracts as a dietary supplement. I agree.

Andrew Weil, M.D.  http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400299/graviola-a-worthwhile-botanical-against-cancer

And another view, this time from Sloan-Kettering:

Graviola - Clinical Summary

Derived from a tree in the rain forests of Africa, South America, and Southeast Asia. The bark, leaves, root, and fruits have been used as traditional remedies in many countries. Extracts of graviola have been shown to have antiviral (1), antiparasitic, antirheumatic, astringent, emetic (2), antileishmanial and cytotoxic (3)(4) effects. Graviola has also been shown to be effective against multidrug resistant cancer cells line (5)(4). There are no large scale studies in humans on the effects of graviola. Alkaloids extracted from graviola may cause neuronal dysfunction and degeneration leading to symptoms reminiscent of Parkinson's Disease (6).   http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69245.cfm

• joetmn
    joetmn Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013

I also notice the potential benefit for cancer treatment.  Still, there is a possible neurotoxicity

http://www.livestrong.com/article/463756-graviola-tree-cancer/