We are 224,960 members in 82 forums discussing 158,042 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: In Season Recipes

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Jun 3, 2009 04:32AM - edited Jun 3, 2009 04:36AM by Blundin2005

Blundin2005 wrote:

How about an "In Season Recipes" thread?  We made this meal together last night.  I sent it to my son who likes to try these recipes.  Then I though it might be fun to share it here like I've seen before.  We can focus the meals we make and share on good taste and good health.  

Zucchini is in season.

Zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese (fork blended mozzerella di buffala, ricotta di capri and Parmesan, and anchovies) baked.

Side dish of zucchini and onion sauted in a pan.

Fresh bread...chilled Vermentino and Aqua di Nepi.   

Photobucket" mce_src="

Photobucket" mce_src="

DX 15 Aug '05, Stage1/grade1, 1.5 cm, IDC/DCIS, 0/2 nodes, ER+PR-,HER2 5%; Dx Oct 2008 bladder papilloma low grade; Dx 07/2013 Stage 2b; t3 M0, 2.0 cm lung cancer, rt. upper lobe

Page 1 of 67 (1,991 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (1,991 total)

Jun 7, 2009 02:39AM vivo wrote:

HA where did you find the recipe? I am from Greece and this is well-known Greek food! We call it stuffed flowers and we stuf it with rice. It is delicious and I love it!!!

The meaning of life is not what you learn but what you teach

Jun 7, 2009 05:34AM Blundin2005 wrote:

Hi Vivo,

It's my husband's recipe.  Good isn't it?  We live north of Rome.  I'm an expat from US and he's a native Roman.  Our foods here are not too different from Greek.  I love Greek food too.

Rice is a good choice too....less fat.  Ahhh but the cheese.  Especially the fresh goat cheese....is also healthy.  Maybe mix the two the next time....rice with the cheese.  

Vivo...we're even in the same time zone aren't we?  

Do you have some recipes to add? 

DX 15 Aug '05, Stage1/grade1, 1.5 cm, IDC/DCIS, 0/2 nodes, ER+PR-,HER2 5%; Dx Oct 2008 bladder papilloma low grade; Dx 07/2013 Stage 2b; t3 M0, 2.0 cm lung cancer, rt. upper lobe

Jun 7, 2009 04:08PM vivo wrote:

It's true that we have the same products, olive, tomatoes, basil etc. Last week me and my daughter have started making sorbe of strawberries.We do it every day!  It's so easy. You clean the strawberries, cut them in pieces and put them in refrigerator. After they are freezed you make sorbe with the pieces of strawberries and a little sugar in the multy. But you can use only strawberries. I don't use sugar cause I don't like it in sorbe. It is as delicious as the one with sugar!

Jun 7, 2009 04:28PM dlb823 wrote:

Ladies, you are making me hungry!  Blundin, I often make sauteed zucchini & onion, and I sometimes use equal parts of zucchini and sliced mushrooms (especially good for us now), and then melt a bit of Monterrey Jack cheese on it before serving.  Of course, in Italy you could use fresh mozzerela.    Deanna

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Jun 7, 2009 04:58PM Blundin2005 wrote:

Vivo,

Strawberries ... yes.  They're in season now.  My husband is buying them by the case.  My two plants don't produce enough....really just to nibble on while I garden.

We usually slice the strawberries with bananas, spinkle with a little raw sugar and squeeze fresh lemon juice on them.  I also made frappe...similar to your recipe.  Slice and lay flat until almost frozen.  Then blend and put back in freezer.  Stir occasionally so it doesn't become a block.  I serve this with whole rasberries, blueberries and sometime gelato.  

My husband really likes lemon sorbet.  I juiced our lemons and put it in the freezer.  I think it's almost hot enough to enjoy them in a sorbet.

Deanna--mushrooms are a good idea.  

Jun 8, 2009 01:19AM dlb823 wrote:

Blundin ~ We do something similar with strawberries -- slice & toss with a bit of natural sugar -- but we use balsamic vinegar instead of the lemon juice.  Works best with a balsamic that's aged enough to be thick & syrupy.  We sometimes put this over just a bit of natural vanilla ice cream.    Deanna 

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Jun 8, 2009 01:29AM vivo wrote:

Deanne strawberies with balsamic? It is very strange taste! I will try it. Girls sorbe with season fruits in general is a great idea. They all are tastefull and healthy :).

Jun 8, 2009 04:51AM Blundin2005 wrote:

Deanne!  uhhhhhh balsamico?  on strawberries!

Vivo-- OK, me too I'll try.

When I asked my husband if he heard of this is said 'yes'.  When I asked did he like it he said 'no'.  And he went back to work on his computer.  

We make an orange salad with black olives, radicchio, balsamico and olive oil that I really like.  But the orange trees ripen in December.  The blooms now are little, itty, bitty, green oranges.  

The cherries are turning red.  They'll be ready in July.  

But PASTA FREDDA is a recipe we started to eat now and it'll go all through the summer.

In a large pasta dish.... toss diced mozzerela, little tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh oregano, fresh garlic slices and olive oil...together and set aside.  Cook butterfly (our favorite shape for this) pasta, drain and pour over into the pasta bowl and toss together with the other ingredients.  Set aside to cool.  Serve at room temperature.

This is a great summer dish for meals with friends.  We also sent some over to our neighbor who is recovering from a recent illness.  He's recovering nicely.

We usually make enough for two days and refrigerate.  Before serving the second day, we remove from the refrigerator to stand in room temperature.  

The salt we use to cook pasta is (grosso) large sea salt...always.

This is good with white or red wine and naturally sparkling water.  Aqua di Nepi is our choice of water because it's local.  We use chilled Lambrusco in the summer.  

bon appetito,

Marilyn 

Jun 8, 2009 06:23AM sweetethel wrote:

I absolutely love Mediterranean recipes because everything is so delicious. I always try to cook with olive oil because I am of the opinion that this is healthier and besides this it has a better taste than normal oil. I love stuffed things and due to this I will definitely give the zucchini flower a try. I really really love stuffed vineleaves and hopefully I will fall in love with the stuffed zucchini too.

Jun 8, 2009 10:44AM dlb823 wrote:

Blundin ~  I had the same reaction your DH did to balsamic & strawberries when my DH first decided to try it after seeing the recipe in a gourmet magazine.  But it's really delicious.  Just be sure to use aged balsamic, which is thicker and sweeter than what you would use in a salad -- and go lightly with it -- don't drench the berries.  Also, the bit of ice cream or gelato further cuts the bite of the balsamic.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with other fresh berries.

Your pasta recipe sounds delicious.  We love al those flavors in a salad or on a pizza or stacked on a crouton as an appetizer, but I'd never thought to do it with pasta.  And I like the idea of using butterfly pasta.

Speaking of olive oil, which I use most  of the time, I recently bought a tin of Grape Seed Oil, and I've been delighted with its flavor for both sauteeing and salads.  And it's also a very healthy oil.   Deanna

Jun 8, 2009 07:00PM Idun wrote:

What a delicious thread Smile

Does any of you have exiting suggestions for cooking rhubarb?

Idun Dx 5/2003, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/2008, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, 5/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/23/2012, Stage IV, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 9/14/2015 Xeloda (capecitabine) Dx 4/2016, ER-/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 5/9/2016 External: Bone Chemotherapy 6/26/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External: Bone Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy Other Hormonal Therapy Zoladex (goserelin)

Jun 8, 2009 08:46PM lexislove wrote:

I have been making a lot of Tabouleh salad. It's a Middle Easter dish an loaded with anti cancer "stuff".

1/2 cup cooked cous cous (whole wheat or white)

1 bunch of parsley diced / minced

1/2 - 1 cucumber cut into small pieces

2 dozen grape tomatoes (left whole)

Dressing - 1/4 - 1/2 cup good Extra Virgin Olive Oil , 1 large lemon squeezed / juice, sea salt and pepper.

Cook cous cous to package instructions, place in large bowl, add all other ingridents and toss well. Cover and place in fridge to cool. So good!!!

I serve it with chicken souvlaki or fish

Dx:2007, 2B, Triple+, June 2008:Lupron,Zometa,Tamox.Jan 2010:Poor metabolizer of Tamox switch to Femara.Feb 2010: cyp2d6 test reliable? Back to Tamox. Ooph soon.

Jun 9, 2009 06:56AM - edited Jun 9, 2009 06:57AM by Blundin2005

Buon giorno ladies, 

Geese, reading this thread my mouth is watering.  Last night we ate left over meat balls and a fresh tossed salad!  Nothing special.

The In-Season idea can include foods for the season not only the food itself that is in-season. Most places in the world today get food imported from all over I suspect. But it's fun to match the timing too.

Ivorymom-- I'll try that!  The broccoli is raw when you put it in the oven?  Not covered?  And it's tender?  Interesting.  I've cooked it on top of the stove in pan covered with an opening and in olive oil. 

Idun--sorry I don't have anything for rhubarb but I'll bet someone will come along with something.  

Lexislove-- This is a good one too.  I think I have some cous cous in the cabinet.  We recently ate at a Lebonese restaurant and I loved it.  I especially like the cucumbers in yogurt.  I was looking for something different when my friends come to lunch.  I think they'd like this one.

Does anyone have a good recipe for black beans?  I want to use them to help reduce cholesterol.

How about artichokes?  I really like these.  The first growth is in the Spring and the best. But the later growths are good too.  

Fill a container with water and add lemon juice. This keeps them from turning black in color from the air while you are working on them.  

Cut the stem from the artichoke at the base.

With a paring knife, cut the outer threads to the heart of the stem.  I usually cut the stem in half to make it easier to handle.  Then I stand them on end to see the heart and cut as close as possible to it. Put them in the water

Peel the artichokes to the heart and put in the water.

Dice fresh mint and garlic together.  

Fill the artichokes with about a teaspoon of that mint mixture or to taste.

Steam for about 20 minutes.

Put them in a pan with olive oil and white wine face down or on their side.  Partially cover and cook on a low flame for another 15 minutes.  Serve warm.

These are good as a side dish or the main course.

But I'm hungry now for cous cous!

Jun 9, 2009 10:32AM - edited Jun 9, 2009 10:33AM by lexislove

Oooo0000oohhhhh..Blundin

I love artichokes! I make a artichoke and goat cheese quesadilla. You can also use black beans too! Quesadilas are so easy and so yummy.

You need large non stick frying pan.

Whatver size tortilla wraps you want/kind. I like spinach wraps or tomatoe.

Part skim mozzarella cheese shredded and crumbled goat cheese.

Spray frying pan with Pam or place a 1 tsp of olive oil, turn on medium heat.

Make your quesadillas - layer your cheese,artichokes,veggies ect.

Serve with salsa, and low fat sour cream.

I'm soooo hungry.LOL!!!

Dx:2007, 2B, Triple+, June 2008:Lupron,Zometa,Tamox.Jan 2010:Poor metabolizer of Tamox switch to Femara.Feb 2010: cyp2d6 test reliable? Back to Tamox. Ooph soon.

Jun 9, 2009 11:18AM fortunate1 wrote:

Mine isn't a recipe at all. Wake up, pull on some pants. Go outside where the birds are singing. Pick apricots off the lawn where they fell last night. Pick boysenberries off the vines. Oops, snails ate the strawberries. Go into the kitchen where DH has made a pot of oatmeal and started coffee. 

Oatmeal + fruit + milk, coffee, newspaper, DH, spring paradise. 

Single mast, one-step with Alloderm and implant; no radiation, oncotype 20.5, no chemo, Femara. Dx 12/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 9, 2009 11:51AM Laura3 wrote:

Hi Ladies, 

I have enjoyed reading all of the recipes and thought I would share a few of my families favorites.  One is more for the summer and the other is a soup I make in the winter, both use black beans.

My summer salsa.....

Mix one can black beans, rinsed and drained, one can of corn, drained, chopped tomato, chopped onion, 2 finely diced serrano peppers, fresh chopped cilantro(to taste, I like alot).  Mix equal parts of light olive oil or canola oil and lime juice( approx. 1/4 to 1/2 cup, your choice how much liquid you want)   Let sit for about an hour to blend flavors....Serve with tortilla chips.

My black bean soup is a crock pot recipe that starts with dried black beans.  I know it is summer, so if anyone is interested let me know and I will post it.  My whole family loves this one...

Idun...

I was raised in Michigan and my father had an abundance of rhubarb in our garden and my mom made the best strawberry rhubarb cake.  A very moist cake that needed no icing, just a dusting of powdered sugar.  I know its not considered a healthy recipe, but if you want I can see if she still has it.   I also remember my Finish grandmother cooking it on the stove with all different kinds of berries and serving it warm, either alone or on ice cream.  She called it berry soup.... 

Thanks for all the great ideas....Its nice that ideas can be shared from around the world....I hope I can find zucchini flowers...I have never seen them....It also makes me want to travel to Italy and Greece......

Take Care and Be Well.....Laura

Dx 2/2009, DCIS, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes

Jun 10, 2009 06:40AM - edited Jun 10, 2009 06:44AM by Blundin2005

Idun--I'm not real familiar with rhubarb and my curiosity led me to this interesting link.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb  I've heard of the strawberry and rhubarb pies.  I think they make them in Amish country (Lancaster Pa).  

Thanks for the black bean recipes ladies. The soup sounds wonderful.  I like soups especially on rainy days no matter what the season.  I'll try it.  You've said "drain" or "rinse" the beans.  Mine aren't in a can.  I thought to put them in water overnight or is that too much? Don't I need to soak them?

I didn't think about wraps for black beans.  I love the flavors in the recipes.  Great idea.    

Last night I baked a small 1 lb. rooster (galletto).  Used fresh rosemary, sage and thyme.  I baked fresh carrots with it.  Does anyone know if the nutrients in the herbs are diminished when you cook them?  They still taste great.

In a separte dish I baked more carrots with potatoes.  

The weather is getting warmer so I won't be using the oven so much.  I'll migrate to the little outdoor electric grill on the balcony.  I've never seen one like this before.  It's a ball and you need to put water in the belly of the bowl--this keeps the smoke to a minimum.  Depending on the food you cook with the lid on or off.  The taste is still grilled....yummy.  We use it for meats and fish.  It's just big enough to cook for about four people.  Cleans up easy too.

Fortunate1 -- loved your stroll around the house and garden.  Me too...I had a problem with snails and ants beating me to the strawberries!  So I moved the plants out of the ground and into planters, closer to the kitchen where I can keep a better eye on them.  I eat more strawberries now.

And you inspired me to have oatmeal for lunch.  My husband was out shooting archery so it was the perfect choice for me.  It helps the weight issue a lot too.  Even paradise takes work...carry that bucket and chop that wood....then relax and enjoy it.

Best wishes to all as always 

Ps...sorry about the second post.  I hit the key twice I guess because it showed twice.  I have no patience! 

Jun 10, 2009 06:40AM - edited Jun 10, 2009 06:43AM by Blundin2005

This Post was deleted by Blundin2005.

Jun 10, 2009 10:03AM Laura3 wrote:

Blundin....If you are using dried beans you will need to soak them, and probably simmer them a little also.  Test them and see if they are the right texture for a salad, salsa or wrap.  Not to hard, not too soft.  Here is the soup recipe, you definitely need the dried black beans for this one.

4 cups dried black beans, sorted and rinsed

12 cups beef broth, or enough to really cover the beans

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, mashed

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon salt or to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.  Cover and cook 3 to 4 hours on low heat, simmer, until beans are very soft.  (this can be done in a large crockpot and cook all day on low heat)

When beans are done, puree half in food processor.  Be careful, hot liquid will expand.  You can puree all the beans if you want a smoother thicker soup.  I like a little whole bean left in mine.

Place beans back in pot and thin to desired consistency with extra beef broth.  Reheat and serve.

Garnish each bowl with tortilla chips, grated Monterrey jack cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro.

Its funny you mention Lancaster, Pa, for the rhubard and strawberry pie.  I live just about 40 minutes outside of Amish country and it is one my favorite places to go.  It is such a relaxing and beautiful drive.  The food is great and the fruit and vegetables and so fresh at this time of year.  

I hope you are all well and enjoying your day....Take Care, Laura

Jun 10, 2009 10:59AM Idun wrote:

Laura, I would really love to have the cake recipe if you think you can get it.  It sounds delicious.

Blundin, thank you for the link, it looks promising.

I love to read all your postings, it gives me a lot of inspiration.

Here is a recipie of a summer salad with chicken breast and mango, we often make that in summertime and even in the wintertime when we feel like it ;)

Fry 2 chicken breasts in vegetableoil, sprinkle with salt, black pepper & dried rosemarin while at it.

For the salad, use ruccola, 4 tomatos and one ripe mango.

Make a dressing by whisping 4 tbsp lime juice (you may want to use less), 1/2 tsp sugar, 3 tbsp extra vigin olive oil, salt and pepper.  Cut 2 of the tomatos into small pieces and join with the dressing.

Cut the 2 remaining tomatos into boats and dice the mango.  Cut the cooled chicken into pieces.

Blend it all togather and serve!

Warm regards, Idun 

Idun Dx 5/2003, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/2008, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, 5/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/23/2012, Stage IV, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 9/14/2015 Xeloda (capecitabine) Dx 4/2016, ER-/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 5/9/2016 External: Bone Chemotherapy 6/26/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External: Bone Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy Other Hormonal Therapy Zoladex (goserelin)

Jun 10, 2009 02:04PM - edited Jun 10, 2009 02:55PM by apple

ooooh zuccini flowers.. i forgot about those.. I suppose it is not too late to plant a spare plant or two if i can find some room.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Jun 10, 2009 05:11PM Laura3 wrote:

Idun...

My mom actually found the original recipe.  I remember it being at all the summer events growing up.  I hope it is as good as I remember.  I also thought it had strawberries, but she said it was only rhubarb. 

3 eggs beaten

1 3/4 cup sugar

1 cup oil

Mix above well.

2 cups flour

1 tsp soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients.

Combine wet and dry and mix well.

Add one cup chopped nuts, she always used walnuts, but I am sure pecans would be good too.

Add 3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces., Mix well.

Pour batter in 13 x 9 inch greased pan.

Mix well and Bake for 1 hour at 350.  

My mom never used  icing, just dusted with powdered sugar, but she said you could use cream cheese frosting.  I loved it with out any icing, it was already moist.

I hope you like it....Let me know how it goes, Laura

Jun 11, 2009 04:48AM Idun wrote:

Thank´s Laura, this is just great.  I´m realy looking forwart to give it a try.

I will make it when I come back home from my vacation, heading to Costa del Sol (Spain) for a week, that is if the swine flue wont stop me ;)

Love to u all, Idunn

Jun 12, 2009 12:25AM dlb823 wrote:

Marilyn ~  Just wanted to tell you that I made your Pasta Fredda tonight, and it was excellent.  My DH and I both really enjoyed it.   I think I probably put a tad too much olive oil in it, but that wasn't bad.  I did have a little problem with the diced mozzerella kind of clumping together by the time I was ready to serve it, even though I'd tossed it around well before leaving it to cool.  I had to reach in and pull the larger clumps of cubes apart so that they were in little pieces again.  Have you ever had that happen?  Not sure what I did wrong.  But even with some clumps, it was a hit!   Deanna

Jun 12, 2009 02:53AM Blundin2005 wrote:

Deanna -- NO NO don't undo the clumps!  That's the best part.  The cheese melts somewhat when the hot pasta is poured over the mixture and then becomes solid again as it cools. The heat of the pasta helps to disburse the flavors.  If the clumps are too big, you can break them up some with a spoon or whatever, but don't be too precise.  It's the 'yum' that's important.  So glad that you enjoyed it.

Laura--the cake sounds so good.  I don't know why but reminds me of a sour cream coffee cake that I made years ago...no icing.  I can't get sour cream here but I can get other soft cheese.  Maybe I can play with the recipe.  

Idun -- the salad sounds good too.  When you said to cut the tomatoes into "boats", I thought you meant to fill them with the mixture.  We do a similar recipe with rice, fill the tomatoes and bake them.  But then I realized that you probably meant "wedges"?  Funny the pictures we make in our minds eye isn't it?

Marilyn 

Tomorrow night I have friends visiting from Germany...her birthday.  I'm cooking and we're eating on the terrace.  Not sure yet the recipes.   

Jun 12, 2009 04:51AM Idun wrote:

Blundin - yes you are right, I am talking about wedges :o)  My english isn´t that good, we talk about boats here in Iceland.

I often offer this salad to friends and they love it.  It is really fresh and tasty.

But talking about filled vegetables, I often barbeque filled red and yellow paprika in the summer time and they are great.  I cut the paprika in halves and fill them up with pesto, fresh basilicum, tomatoes and mozzarella, salt&pepper.  This is a great side dish and I am sure that it is also fine to bake them in the oven instead of using the BBQ.

Idun

Jun 12, 2009 04:21PM - edited Jun 12, 2009 04:21PM by Blundin2005

Idun -- Have no fear....your english is as good as my Italian.  As long as we are understood, that is what is important.  I didn't know you were from Iceland.  Nice place I hear from friends.

So "paprika" is probably peppers.  and basilicum is probably basil (basilico).  Sounds good.  My DH has problem to digest the skins of peppers but baked we can peel them.

Tonight I made an egg plant recipe that my sons's heart throb gave me.  I added a few things and tomorrow I'll put the mixture in pastry crust and bake...guests for dinner.

Yaaawwwwn.  It's late for me.  Buena notte.

Marilyn 

Jun 15, 2009 04:27AM Blundin2005 wrote:

Good morning.

We slept in yesterday.  A late night on the terrace with our guests.  We don't see them often so it's difficult to say good night when they're here.

He is managing his diabetes with exercise and diet.  So it was no complex carbs for him.  She's got gluten issues.  So we made mostly veggies.

DH made the zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese.  He also made baked tomatoes stuffed with rice...a recipe of his mother's.  He said that she used to make this and take it to the sea for them to eat on the beach.   

I made a mixture of chopped egg plant (boiled and drained), sun dried tomatoes and some of my home made pesto held together by two eggs and parmesan cheese (mixture in refrig over night), rolled in bread crumbs and baked.  I also used some of this mixture to put into pastry crust topped with a small wedge of provolone.  

For desert I served chocolate covered strawberries and a bowl of fresh peaches (with individual knifes to cut them)   I melted Nove dark chocolate (72%) and dipped the berries in that.  Put them on a small tray and then into the frig until I served them.  

We had an assortment of wines for the dishes and a heck of a good time laughing until midnight.

My friend said that she will have at least three more birthday's this year if we want to do this again!

Best wishes to all as always, 

Jun 19, 2009 05:18AM Blundin2005 wrote:

Laura -- I'm trying the soup recipe with some modifications....hope I don't ruin it.  I'm using less beans in the event that I don't get this right.  I added some carrots and used flavored olive oil.  We add rosemary, garlic and hot pepper to some bottles of our oil and usually use it for meats.  I'm using Knorr's "classic" broth flavor....we don't have beef.  

My husband poked his head in the house to ask what I was cooking that smelled so good.  That's a good sign.

I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for the recipe.

Next I want to try the wraps.  I bought something at the market that is similar. 

Ivorymom--your recipe is on my list too.  I'll use the little bbq because some days it's too hot for the stove.  I'm cooking the soup when the sun goes down.

Best wishes to all as always 

Jun 19, 2009 08:34AM Blundin2005 wrote:

Ivorymom, Meg -- It would be a pleasure.  The problem is that I don't get to St. Paul too often.  The last time I was there was probably 20 years ago for my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary party.  So if you ever get near Rome send a PM and let me know.

Laura -- We just ate your soup for lunch (zuppa per pranzo) and boy was it good!  And it was a hit with my husband who is a very fussy eater.  Thank you, thank you for the recipe.  I feel that we've helped our cholesterol to lower a little bit today.  At the worst, we didn't add to it!  And it was very easy to cook.  

We used parmesan on top because we don't have Monterrey Jack cheese here.  And we used croutons.  I took your advise and made puree with a little over half the soup and left the rest of the soup as it was.  Oh and the flavor cube was Star not Knorr and it did have beef flavors among others.  

We ate two large bowls full.  Served with chilled bottled water (Aqua di Nepi).  

I was really surprised how black the water became when I soaked the beans.  I didn't drain them before I cooked them because I thought there may be nutrients in the water.   

Last night I made a pizza for dinner and we split it.  I buy the fresh pasta at the store...bake it while the oven is heating and I'm preparing the toppings.  I take it out fluffed but not browned.  Then I put the red sauce, fresh oregano, sliced marinated artichokes, pitted calamate olives, slices of sausage, mozzerella, parmesan (or any combination of those) and then back into the oven to cook for 12-15 minutes.  So good.  And much less expensive than buying it at a restaurant.  We like this with a glass of beer.

Best wishes to all as always,

Page 1 of 67 (1,991 results)