We are 224,835 members in 82 forums discussing 157,969 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Juicing for Health

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Apr 11, 2011 05:09PM

RangerMom wrote:

I'm newly diagnosed and am new to juicing. I'd love to discuss juicing with anyone else out there for before, during or after chemo. Did it help? What's your take on juicing? Favorite drinks?   Thanks

Extensive mets to spine and both hips. Dx with ca in both breasts, left pr+ and right er+ Dx 3/22/2011, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2011 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2011 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 11/14/2012, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/14/2012 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Page 1 of 2 (58 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (58 total)

Apr 11, 2011 05:25PM 37antiques wrote:

Hi RangerMom,

I haven't done it in years, but boy it sure helped. I was really sick for a long time (bad pancreas) and my brother had me juicing.  We had a recipe book that we used, I remember peppers were good for clearing acne, and so on.  I always started with organic carrots (about 40 lbs a week) and added whatever I felt like that time.  I'm not big on veggies, so I always preferred adding fruit.  Bananas, apples and strawberries were my favorites.  Sometimes it almost tastes like a smoothie.  Breakfast lunch and dinner without fail, tall glass and drink it right down, don't let it sit.  I would take vitamins in the morning too, along with spinach pills and garlic.  I don't know why, that was my brothers idea.  Totally healed my pancreas for about 15 years....

Let me know if you have a really yummy new recipe, I may just try it again. 

IDC DCIS & Mets Dx 2/27/2007, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Apr 11, 2011 07:09PM pamdo wrote:

Hello Ranger Mom...

I finished treatment in November, and have been juicing since January.  I do one a day (most days). I have a breville - martha stewart endorsed!  My favourites include some fruit and veggie...carrot, apple, ginger, celery.....and beet, carrot, orange.

I've tried kale, spinach...but they don't seem to get much juice.  Parsley is better...

I've even gotten my 12 year old son into it...my 10 year old and 44 year old (hubby) aren't interested.

Enjoy! 

occult breast primary -r. mx with immediate diep 08/11 Dx 10/28/2009, Stage IIIC, 9/29 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 12, 2011 05:35PM RangerMom wrote:

Pamdo,

I'm on day 3 and I swear I'm feeling more energy. Did you notice that. My sweatheart is a type II diabetic so we're experimenting with more vegetables with a tiny bit of fruit. So parsley gets juice, who would have thought! We did some cabbage and brussel sprouts this morning with some carrots and a few plums. Not bad really. We are acquiring a taste for it. I'm curious to know if since juicing, what benefits have you seen, such as energy, alertness, or even lab results, etc. so Glad you finished treatment, how are you feeling these days. Tell me more, I'm a sponge right now. Still in the "staging" process with the scans and dr visits. Dx IDC in right breats with 1 lymph and DCIS in left breast, no lymphs. Waiting on the treatment plan. May be something in a lung, irregular nodules on the PET scan. Is it crazy to say, I'm ready to get this started? Or should I just relax and enjoy this "calm" I'm at right now before the treatment begins. Look forward to speaking with you agian. Thanks, Linda

Extensive mets to spine and both hips. Dx with ca in both breasts, left pr+ and right er+ Dx 3/22/2011, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2011 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2011 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 11/14/2012, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/14/2012 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Apr 12, 2011 05:41PM RangerMom wrote:

37antiques,

Hi, thanks for posting. Its encouraging to hear you say it made a difference. I'm feeling better after day 3. I've just done once a day. Still experimenting with stuff. I got a breville and its been great. I want to keep learning and will trying some of your suggestions. You say totally healed your pancreas for 15 years.... Does that mean ca is back in your life? I'm very new to this ca life and would like to hear more if you feel like it. Thanks 

Apr 12, 2011 05:44PM Basia wrote:

I started juicing while in treatment, just finished in January.  I felt more energetic on the days I juiced. I basically started with carrots and spinach and added whatever fruit and veggies I had in the house. I tried to do mostly veggies with only one or 2 fruits for taste.  

Dx 8/2/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 9/5/2010 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Targeted Therapy 10/12/2010 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/12/2010 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/18/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 5/19/2014, IDC, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 6/8/2014 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Apr 12, 2011 06:10PM RangerMom wrote:

Twinmom06,

Congrats on finish treatment! I can't imagine how that feels but will someday. Its good to hear you felt better too and its not in my head. I'm excited about feeling better. Did you find juicing was easier to do than cook and was it easy to keep in your stomach while on chemo? Are you still juicing? Talk to you later,

Linda 

Apr 14, 2011 06:51AM pamdo wrote:

Ranger mom..wishing you luck during all the staging tests...I found that one of the most stressful times, so glad you have found this website for help.  I was like you...information hound, and I couldn't really relax until I had a treatment plan in place.   I'm done chemo and rads, but have mastectomy and reconstruction to do stilll, now waiting for that to get scheduled.  Re the juicing  - my hubby is diabetic too!  I do find it helps with energy, and since I have trouble digesting fruits and veggies (colectomy 10 years ago due to ulcerative colitis) i love that I can get the vitamins in with out the fiber.  I didn't start juicing until after chemo, so can't comment on how it would work during chemo.  I found that all I could eat was comfort foods - mouth sores, no taste buds, so the important thing for me was mouth feel - mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, stuff like that.

Wishing you best of luck...

Pam 

occult breast primary -r. mx with immediate diep 08/11 Dx 10/28/2009, Stage IIIC, 9/29 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 14, 2011 06:56PM RangerMom wrote:

thanks Pam for the info. Got my treatment plan today. Yeah...Chemo first, about 4 mos, bil mx, then radiation. then reconstruction. At least that's what we are doing right now. Unfortunately, it looks like she'll need to take out more than just the sentinental lymph node. I have ca in both breasts simulatneously and a lymph. But at least it appears I found it early. Thanks for your positive wishes. I breath them all in. 

Apr 23, 2011 06:28AM apple wrote:

i am more a veggie than fruit type, but absolutely love mint, parsley and pineapple green stuff.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Apr 23, 2011 07:18AM 37antiques wrote:

Hi Ragermom,

My pancreas was just on the fritz, I would have attacks of prancreatitis and end up in the hospital every other week with no food by mouth only IV until it calmed down.  It was a neverending cycle til my brother started me juicing, he still does it off and on and just lost 70 extra LBS!  It does help with energy, I noticed I could get up early for work and not rush in the morning, also I was pregnant and did not gain all the excess "baby fat" that I had before, I actually lost some excess thigh and butt, and who doesn't want that!  I didn't get ca until years later, and did not try it during treatment BUT the recipe book we had was written by a man who had (I think) terminal liver ca, and he went into remission for years.  I have forgotten his name and the book name.  I found the worst part about it was being shocked at peeing orange for a day or two and cleaning the juicer, otherwise it worked wonders.  Everything had a carrot base and the rest was flavor or what I wanted to work on that day or felt like tasting.  I remember the peppers for acne most because as luck would have it, I hate peppers and always had acne!

I'm sorry about your dx, but glad you found us here, and especially glad you reminded me about the juicing, I'm going to have my mother see if she can find her juicer.  It was a really good one, we didn't have to peel anything.  Sometimes chemo can change the taste buds a bit, so experimenting now is a really good idea. 

IDC DCIS & Mets Dx 2/27/2007, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Apr 30, 2011 09:11PM calamtykel wrote:

There are studies that have been done regarding beet juice and adriamyacin chemo - mice that were fed the beet juice had a more rapid reduction in tumors.  I juiced beets througout my chemo and I think it really helped with the side effects too.  I juiced wheat grass and threw in anything green I could find.  My oncology nurse was absolutely shocked that I never had any signs of any neuropathy when I had four rounds of Taxol.  I attribute it to the high amounts of B vitamins I was getting in whole food form by way of juicing. 

I do have a super power Omega brand juicer that I got sevearal years ago and used to use pretty heavily.  However it's  a pain to clean.  Insted, I throw everything into my Oster blender, which is a higher end Oster - a six point blade, all metal and glass parts and a super motor!  I just add in some water and drink the whole thing, pulp and all.  :)  Some juicing recipes call for adding the pulp back in anyhow, as added fiber, and during chemo, added fiber helps!

Now I juice kale in an almost daily basis.  Any of the cruciferous veggies are really good for cancer, and Kale is cruciferous but more mild tasting that jucing broccoli or cabbage.  Sometimes I add in a handful of blueberries or some frozen papaya.   Sometimes I throw two or three large carrots into the blender with some water.  Depends on what I feel like doing.  But juicing is the best.  I notice an immediate boost in my mood many times just by juicing something super green! :) 

"But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” Matt. 14:28 Dx 6/12/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 5, 2011 07:25PM RangerMom wrote:

Calamtykel,

Loved your posted. so encouraging. i had a rough first round and couldn't eat for 4 days. its been 7 days now and I'm feeling back to normal (sort of) so I am encouraged to read what you say. I think Ill juice something good and green in the morning. Thanks for all the info. I'm just into my 4 mos of chemo and I need help. 

May 7, 2011 07:55AM dogsandjogs wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I just bought a juicer yesterday and felt better immediately. A recipe leaflet came with it so I tried carrots & celery (equal amounts) Delicious!  I never thought of carrots as being sweet. I had NO craving for sugar the rest of the day, which is really interesting because two weeks ago I cut out sugar in tea and really missed it.

I am hoping juicing will give me more energy and make me lose some weight.

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

May 7, 2011 07:02PM - edited May 7, 2011 07:06PM by kimjogs1

Could u please tell me what make juicer you bought?  i want to buy one and begin juicing but I am confused as to what is the best brand

Diagnosis: 2-2-09  ILC Stage 1, 0/5  onco type 13 Arimidex

May 8, 2011 09:54AM dogsandjogs wrote:

My friend recommended either the Jack LaLanne or the Champion. I got the Jack LaLanne at Sears for $99.99.  Since I didn't do any research, I don't know about any of the others, but this one seems fine.

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

May 8, 2011 10:01AM dogsandjogs wrote:

My second day of juicing, I tried celery, two carrots and a bell pepper. Wad dubious about the pepper , but since I had one I threw it in.  The combo actually tasted really good. I'm calling it "swamp water" since a mom on the Internet said that is what her kids called her juicing efforts!

May 10, 2011 07:08PM RangerMom wrote:

I love my juicing. I Just throw whatever I have in. I've been doing a lot of kale and an apple with carrots and a touch of ginger. It gives me so much more energy.

May 11, 2011 05:46PM dogsandjogs wrote:

Today I tried a quarter lemon with 4 broccoli florets, 2 carrots, 2 celery and an apple. The lemon worked fine with the broccoli.

May 14, 2011 09:17PM treesprite wrote:

Green Smoothie Revolution is a good book on smoothies for better health . . . I think there is a website and blog. I splurged on a Blendtec when I got diagnosed; I'm not sure it is worth the money (over $300), but I love it and I'm glad I have it.

One of my favorite combos is greens (kale, chard, or spinach), cucumber, ginger,  and avocado (if I have it). It really helps to have the greens prepped & ready to go. The book recommends rotating greens; if I have more than I can use up, I chop them and freeze for later, same with cucumber. Greens with frozen mango or frozen pineapple is good.

Kathy Stage 2B 11/22/2011 contouring non-DIEP side. Stage2: 8/17/2011 Lift, break up necrosis, fat grafting, dog ears, abdominal & DIEP side scar revision; Delayed uni-DIEP 3-22-2011 no chemo or rads Uni mx w/tissue expander 10/27/2010 UW Seattle Dx 7/16/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 15, 2011 03:10PM RangerMom wrote:

Thanks treesprite for the tips. I find that the days I don't juice I'm just not up to my normal energy level. I had my second round last thurs and I'm feelin rather nauseaus still on this sunday. I did eat a blueberry bananna smoothie and it helped some with energy level. Thanks for all the posts. I'm going to try the pineapple with greens. Sounds wonderful.

May 15, 2011 03:17PM lorieg wrote:

I love the idea of chopping everything up and freezing since freezing should not cause them to lose any of their "good stuff."  The part I hate about juicing is preparing all the veggies!  Pineapple is also a good tip!

I usually juice a big colander of spinach, carrots, broccoli, +/-beets, 1/2 an apple, and lemon.  This is my staple.  I chug it though as I don't love the taste!

Lori

Lori, age 33, dx IBC Stage IV 8/09, Grade 3, ER+/PR-/Her2+, married with a 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter Dx 8/21/2009, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 17, 2011 04:22PM RangerMom wrote:

I'm having trouble with mega nausea this week and haven't been able to juice. Should I try it anyway and hold my nose because the benefits are far better than the smell and taste going down? I've been hardly eating, can't handle food right now. Let me know your thoughts. thanks all

May 17, 2011 05:32PM geewhiz wrote:

Yes absolutely!!! Ginger can settle the nausea, add it and a bit of lemon. I juice constantly and did all the way thru chemo. I had to force it down, but knew it made me feel better. I learned to make a veggie soup from the juicer, and warm it a little. I just made it brothier and therefore much more palatable. I think the juicing helps keep the blood work humming along. I own the omega and the blendtec. The omega is a serious pain to clean, but I feel like I am getting all my enzymes. The blendtec I tend to do with fruit juices. Good luck!

May 17, 2011 05:34PM geewhiz wrote:

Kicking green juice: this is my favorite!!!!!!!

Kale
Parsley
Cilantro
Carrot
Wheat grass
Cucumber
Lemon
Jalapeño or other spicy pepper

May 17, 2011 07:27PM DebRox wrote:

Green Lemonade is the best.  I drink it daily.  Started juicing 3 weeks ago, feel more energy and hope to continue throughout chemo. 

A bunch of kale

one large fuji apple

one lemon

Dx 3/18/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 20, 2011 08:19AM dogsandjogs wrote:

I also like kale, apple, celery, carrot and 1/4 lemon!  Have also tried to add broccoli (not that tasty) but cucumber is good and the lemon juice makes everything more refreshing. 

May 20, 2011 05:53PM lorieg wrote:

Thanks everyone for the kale suggestion.  I just started adding kale this week and can't even taste it.  I am assuming it is very good for you!  I like it better than the broccoli in the juice.

Lori

Lori, age 33, dx IBC Stage IV 8/09, Grade 3, ER+/PR-/Her2+, married with a 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter Dx 8/21/2009, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 21, 2011 08:10AM dogsandjogs wrote:

Yes, my friend says green, leafy veggies are very important for everyone.  I posted somewhere about the Biehler soup which she says she has every day (and she is not a cancer victim, just very health-conscious and a vegan) You combine 2 cups fresh green beans, three stalks celery, 3 zucchini and 1 cup parsley. Add to 1 quart boiling water and cook for 5 to 10 mins. Then puree in blender. You don't add any spices. It is quite tasty though I do miss adding salt :/

May 21, 2011 05:31PM RangerMom wrote:

Hi all, 

I got some bad news this week that I have a clot in my jugular and I'm on coumadin and shots of heprin I give myself to get the clots to break up. so what I'm learning is that I can't or shouldn't have any vitamin K with this stuff. Nor cranberries. Now I need to look up what veggies have Vit K in them and skip them over. Leafy greens is one of them. Is carrots too? Broccoli? I just started juicing again but I can learn a new way to juice with the vitamins I need. take care all. Let me know if you've heard of this before? thanks 

May 22, 2011 08:46AM dogsandjogs wrote:

So sorry to hear about the clots!  I am on Coumadin because of Atrial Fibrillation so have to watch the Vitamin K too. But in my case I can have veggies like Kale, Broccoli, etc. as long as I keep the amounts the same every day. I was given a long list of veggies with their vitamin K contact. See if you can get something like that from the doc or maybe on the Internet?  Wishing you the best---

Page 1 of 2 (58 results)