Join Us

We are 224,301 members in 83 forums discussing 163,482 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Cancer is an opportunity to change the way you eat

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Apr 4, 2013 05:41PM - edited Apr 4, 2013 05:45PM by JillC12

JillC12 wrote:

The best thing I did during my "year of cancer" in 2012 was to visit a nutritionist {who works in the same medical group as my oncologist}.

I had become a pescatarian in 2004 following my bout with cervical cancer at age 38.  When invasive breast cancer hit me in 2012, I decided to further take the reigns of one of the few precious things I could control: diet. 

So many questions. No sugar or little sugar?  A lemon a day?  Which foods should I load up on? What about organic? What about carbs? What about soy? What about dairy? What about seafood? What about vegetarianism or veganism?

The reality is no one is 100% sure today about the exact link between diet and breast cancer. I was told the best thing to do was to gather the opinions of an oncolgogist and a nutritionist and follow the ongoing advice of Dr Weil and Dr Oz. I was told the single most important thing to do is buy organic.  I was told a moderate dose of whole soy foods may prevent breast cancer {tofu, tempeh, soy milk, edamame}.  But highly processed foods with soy protein isolates and concentrates are probably best avoided {most vegan meats}.  I was told cancer can't live without sugar.  I was told yogurt is a good thing to eat daily. I was told my pescatarian diet, newly tweaked by eschewing processed foods, and focusing on whole foods, yes even whole grains, was very good. I was told to focus on anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory foods. I was told the alkalyze theory is bunk yet consuming a lemon a day is a very good thing. I was told to take all this information and create a diet that I can be personally comfortable with and at peace with.

Despite how frightening and brutal cancer is, I have decided to find a silver lining:  cancer is an opportunity to change the way you eat.  Whatever that personally means to you. I have started a food blog - documenting all the recipes I am making as part of my new "cooking-from-scratch" way of life. I hope you'll check it out and even more importantly, I hope if you are reading this and are newly facing cancer or like me, afraid of a recurrence, you'll see a qualified nutritionist.

xoxo - Jill {www.savorysweetandspicy.blogspot.com}

Diagnosed: 2-4-12; Age: 46; Diagnosis: Rt-collision tumor lobular+ductal Stage 1B, Lft- DCIS, ER+PR+; Surgery: bi-lateral mastectomy 4-6-12; 2 nodes=clear; Exchange surgery: 7-3-12

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Sep 28, 2013 04:00AM zogo wrote:

Jill, you have a lovely blog. But, I was surprised to find so much sugar. flour, corn syrup. grain, brown sugar. in the recipes. As a cancer survivor, I have committed to a ketogenic diet and I'm always looking for great low carb recipes. I will have to look through your blog some more, but I wanted to share these articles with you.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/cancer-sugar-strategy-selective-starvation-cancer

http://www.stepintomygreenworld.com/healthyliving/health/new-mri-technique-confirms-that-cancer-feeds-on-sugar/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/03/10/ketogenic-diet.aspx

~Jane~ "Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them" ......"You'll never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option"

Oct 11, 2013 05:34AM - edited Oct 11, 2013 05:37AM by Momine

Those recipes look really good. Beautiful blog. I am not doing a ketogenic diet, but I do limit sugar, white carbs and high-fat dairy, so unfortunately most of your recipes are not really good for me either.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)