Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: I confess My eating habits suck but I don't know how to change

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Dec 28, 2013 07:22PM

lovewins wrote:

My last chemo was last Monday and I told myself not to be too concerned about my diet until I was done with Chemo.  I am really struggling with how to eat better...I feel overwhelmed.  I do not like fruits and veggies all that much but I am trying to eat more of them.  Anyone else out there have a hard time changing eating habits?  Any easy recipes you would like to share?  I am going to have to learn how to cook all over again.  Thanks for any advice.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Page 1 of 2 (52 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (52 total)

Dec 28, 2013 10:18PM flannelette wrote:

I think you'll have a hard time eating fruits & veggies if you don't like them all that much. sometimes I'm more interested if the fruit is presented in a way i like - such as an apple cut into sections, core removed, on a plate, with cheese? and not any old apple - red delicious - yuk. green delicious - yum. I hate just biting into an apple unless I'm driving the car and starving.

And it helps to make them easy. Like frozen bags with a zip-top of mixed berries. I look for them on sale. Thawed for a few minutes & lots of them over a thin slice of cheesecake - yum! or in a pretty bowl with yogurt and maple syrup & maybe if I'm lucky some slivered almonds.

Frozen veggies, too - I hate big fat boring peas but the tiny green petit pois - a world of difference.

How you cook veggies, too. I can eat masses of root vegetables if they are cut in smallish cubes, bathed in olive oil and roasted - beets, carrots, sweet potatoes - but boil a beet and yuk.

I think the secret is finding ones that are a variety you like and cooked the way you actually like. Check out some of the new frozen combos, too. sometimes it's just too much hassle preparing from scratch. Another idea, but a bit expensive - some of the new cream of veggie soups in cartons, like squash or pumpkin - probably yummy and a world apart from the old canned soups that taste like tin. Good luck!

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 9/30/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/9/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/19/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes

Dec 28, 2013 10:38PM tekwriter wrote:

if you go to eating well.com they have loads of recipes that incorporate a healthy lifestyle and use vegetables and fruits.  You might be interested in trying something there. I find fresh is the best and knowing how to cook them properly can make a world of difference.  Good luck

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint. Dx 12/6/2013, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/6/2014 AC Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 7/11/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Radiation Therapy Breast

Dec 29, 2013 08:01AM Oncearunneralwaysarunner wrote:

you may want to check with your cancer center for nutrition classes, I know mine offers a couple of different sessions. You might get some good tips from that.

I agree that it's all about fining combinations that you like, you might have to experiment. I'm a fan of smoothies with lots of fruits, and some spinach. The taste of spinach disappears with all the other fruits!

Dx 6/25/2013, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 7/18/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 10/10/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 12/2/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/13/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Radiation Therapy 3/10/2014 Breast

Dec 29, 2013 09:53AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Lovewins, sometimes I thought there were things I didn't like because I didn't like the way my mom or schools cooked them when I was a kid. I thought I didn't like eggs because I hate them hard-scrambled, but find I love them soft-scrambled just on the verge of almost runny.

Perhaps you were served canned or overcooked veggies as a kid. Nothing is much nastier than canned spinach or asparagus or peas, or overcooked stinky cabbage. Sometimes trying them cooked crisp-tender, or sauteed or raw helps.

I have a friend that doesn't like fruit because of that saliva-squirting response to citrus, but I found that she did like fruit cooked in things.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Dec 29, 2013 10:22AM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

Lovewins....ditto on roasting vegetables.  I use either butter or olive oil depending on the vegetable.  Just a tiny bit of either one.  Carrots taste like candy done that way.  Remember too that potatoes count when done this way.  Especially the tiny ones.

Fruits....make sure they are ripe and yummy.  That would describe pears this time of year.  You can make crumbles with frozen berries.  I know dessert, but crumbles also get in a good serving of fruit.  You can put frozen berries on oatmeal too.

I like most veggies cooked a lot better than raw.

Don't forget things like pea soup.  Takes a bit of doing, but a good pea soup is chock full of veggies.

I have to get with it and make a squash soup.  Will be mostly squash and a bit of onion.  Just delish.

If you have never really learned to cook vegetables, I would go cookbook shopping with a friend.  You need the visuals....you know a wonderful looking presentation as opposed to a pile of green sludge.  This should give you inspiration plus tips on wonderful ways to prepare.

Finally, you could do what I did a couple of years ago.  Try a new dish each month as a New Year's Resolution.  I needed to liven up my repertoire. I was missing out on chicken and had never made Chicken Franchese.  Now one of my favorites.

Good luck, and think of this as a fun adventure. - Claire

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Dec 29, 2013 12:04PM Susie123 wrote:

I have found a lot of healthy recipes on pinterest that cook veggies in ways that make them taste totally different. Roasting veggies with a little olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and a little Parmesan makes them taste great. This is especially good on broccoli and asparagus. My kids will actually eat them this way. Check out pinterest. Search healthy recipes. The ones that are truly good for you will give nutritional info too.

Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 29, 2013 01:39PM GemStateGirl wrote:

I like fruits and vegetables but don't like to cook so I admit I tend to buy prepared vegetables or load up on the salad bar at Whole Foods.  I figure the money is worth it to eat better.

I did try some recipes after I finished my treatments from Rebecca Katz's books--The Cancer Fighting Kitchen and The Longevity Kitchen.  The food was delicious but I made the mistake of trying to make 4 or 5 things in the same day and didn't find it particularly enjoyable so it didn't spark a cooking streak in me.

My advice would be to look at the top rated cooking books on Amazon and then take them out of your library and see if any of the recipes inspire you.  Rebecca Katz's books are good because she specifically addresses things to do to fight cancer and they're just beautiful books to look at.

Original dx Stage IIIc, July 2011; bone mets, December 2013; liver mets, May 2014. Treatments: Mast (Rt), ACT Chemo, Radiation, Tamoxifen, Faslodex/Zometa, Xeloda/Zometa, Halaven/Zometa, Ixempra/Zometa Dx 7/27/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 28/28 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 29, 2013 06:25PM lovewins wrote:

Wow thanks for all the responses.  I agree I need to find recipes and just keep trying until I find some I like.  It will really help now that chemo is over!  I did buy an apple, two bananas, onion, fresh garlic,new red potatoes and frozen green beans at the store.  Have you all quit eating canned foods?  I like stewed tomatoes...and spaghetti sauce in a jar.  I really need to slow down and realize I can't completely change overnight.  I have cut way down on the butter...but I am having a hard time giving up cheese and pasta.  Your right I need to look at this as an adventure one step at a time and not try to be perfect overnight.   Thanks again.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Dec 29, 2013 06:34PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

What about adding in as opposed to "giving up"?  That way, you won't feel deprived.

As for stuff like pasta with cheese.....well, that is why I cycle, run, ski, hike, etc.  I try to do 80% OK and don't sweat the other.  THAT SAID, my plate is normally overflowing with veggies.

I eat canned/jarred foods, including marinara sauce and also those sprats I just ate for a late lunch.

I have tens of thousands of cycling in my future as I love to eat.  Good luck on your veggie adventure. - Claire

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Jan 2, 2014 10:20AM - edited Jan 2, 2014 10:52AM by leggo

The best way to change your eating habits is to change your shopping habits. If you don't have crappy food in the house, then it won't be there to eat. Try filling the fridge with good food. You'll be surprised how appetizing the fridge looks with all the different colors of fruits and veggies. Having it look good is the first step in having it taste good. A few hints; bulk up your herb and spice collection, use fresh ground pepper and have lemons on hand to add to green veggies. If your food is bland, you won't enjoy it.

Also, preperation is important. If you're like me, if it's not right in front of me, I don't bother eating it, especially when it comes to having fruit ready to just grab and eat. Buy a variety of fruits and spend a little time peeling and washing, put it in a pretty glass bowl and stick it in the fridge so that when you need a snack, you can just grab it out of the bowl. 

I think this was mentioned earlier, but a lot of people don't like vegetables because they've been eating frozen steamed mush. Almost any vegetable tastes amazing if it's cooked right. Fresh and roasted is the best way to go. Here's a recipe for brocolli that I know you'll love.

Cut fresh brocolli florets into large pieces

Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper, and three or four cloves of minced garlic. (use olive oil sparingly. Despite all the hype, it's still a fat) I like using a spray bottle for oil.

Spread evenly on baking sheet

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes

Add the juice and zest of a lemon after baking and cover with a spoonful of parmesan cheese (a little goes a long way).

Another good one to try is sweet potatoes

Cut a sweet potato into fry-size pieces

Toss in olive oil (again, sparingly), salt, pepper, garlic, dry mustard, thyme and a little rosemary

Bake at 450 for about 25 minutes, flipping half way through. When the ends turn nice and brown and crunchy, enjoy.

To make snacks like popcorn and rice crackers taste better, here's a quick blend you can put in a shaker and use on anything bland. I also use it a lot on lean grilled meats.

1/4 cup paprika

2 tbsp chili powder

1-2 tbsp brown sugar (depending how sweet you like it)

1 tbsp garlic powder

1/2 tbsp salt 

1/2 tsp dry mustard

Bottom line, shop for good FRESH fruits and veggies, don't overcook them, buy only lean meats and use herbs, spices, citrus juices and zests to make everything tasts delicious.....and never use anything frozen or canned. It just doesn't have a good texture when it's cooked. If the texture and flavor aren't good, you're not likely to enjoy it and you'll go back to eating the not so good for you stuff.

Really....try the brocolli, if nothing else. Even when my kids were little, they preferred it to anything else, which is saying something.

Good luck to you in improving your diet. Baby steps.

Edited: for clarity and to add, anytime you're roasting a veggie make sure it's completely dry. If it's moist, you'll lose the nice crunchy texture. 

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Jan 2, 2014 11:02AM - edited Jan 2, 2014 11:02AM by lovewins

Thank you Leggo for all your suggestions!  Much appreciated.  I am feeling very positive and empowered to make changes, maybe because it is the 1st of the year and new beginning and I am so elated my chemo is done.  I did try baked sweet potatoes and really liked them.  I put a little butter on them (microwave) but that's ok baby steps.  Right now my oven is not working...Boo.  I am also thinking ahead when I return to work that I will prepare my lunches and not eat the junk I used to eat.  Being off work these past few months has taught me to love cooking.  Thanks again for your suggestions!

Jan 2, 2014 11:04AM dogsandjogs wrote:

I eat whole-wheat pasta with celery and onion (sautéed beforehand and kept in fridge to add to other dishes) and Mrs. Dash spice.
Sometimes I add cauliflower. I also add a very small amount of "light-tasting" olive oil. It has a great taste, almost like butter (which I gave up 2 years ago)  Try it, you won't miss the butter.

I miss cheese too, being a vegan, but am going to try the vegan cheese.

I cut up apples and eat them with a smidgin of peanut butter. I use berries with my morning oatmeal. Delicious!  I also juice, using veggies and fruits. My favorite is a combo of celery, carrots and a green apple. I sometimes add 1/4 lemon also.

Believe me, before I became a vegan, I disliked vegetables. But since then I've gotten creative and really like most of them now.

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

Jan 2, 2014 11:06AM dogsandjogs wrote:

Thanks Leggo!  I'll try that recipe. Is it really 1/4 cup paprika? Sounds like a lot--

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

Jan 2, 2014 11:12AM - edited Jan 2, 2014 11:32AM by lovewins

D & J thank you for your suggestions!  Wow I can't believe you didn't like veggies and became a vegetarian that is impressive.  When I was going thru chemo I couldn't eat meat the first 10 days....it was really gross!  I have managed to like the pasta that is 50/50 wheat, I forgot about trying that a few months ago I couldn't even tell.  Thanks for the reminder.  Do you suggest any certain brand EVO?  I have been nervous to try?

Jan 2, 2014 11:25AM BrooksideVT wrote:

You might find that some surprising veggies are yummy raw.  You can slice those little white turnips or golden beets and treat them like crackers, with  a topping of hummus or yogurt, or turkey or whatever seems healthy.  My trick for reducing my cheese intake, by the way, is to buy it presliced--no more temptation to make a nice big, delicious wedge disappear.   I eat a slice, or two, or three, and that's about it.

Also, in my state (and perhaps yours?) anyone with a preexisting condition can meet, absolutely free, with a nutritionist, who will help you clarify and support you while you move toward your goals.  I'm taking advantage of this and am very impressed.

Dx 11/21/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/4/2014 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 2, 2014 11:33AM leggo wrote:

Yes, it really is 1/4 cup of paprika. It does sound like a lot, but it makes a lot.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Jan 2, 2014 11:37AM lovewins wrote:

Brookside...I am in MI and I did meet with the one on my team for the first time at my last chemo and she gave me some papers that were helpful.  Not sure if I could have on going consults with her.  How did you find yours?  That is a great idea.  I am glad it is working out well for you! 

My Mom bought me a mandolin for Christmas and that would be perfect for slicing the raw veggies.  I have never had a turnip in my life!  LOL.

Thanks for taking the time to share. 

Jan 2, 2014 11:39AM dogsandjogs wrote:

I use Bertoli "extra light tasting" olive oil. Expensive, but you use so little it lasts for months.

I also really like mushrooms; very low fat and filling.  I add them to just about everything --

My favorite salad; Zucchini, Avocado, Tomato, with a little onion -

Carrots are very good grated; with raisins and a bit of lemon juice.

Jan 2, 2014 11:45AM - edited Jan 2, 2014 11:46AM by lovewins

Thanks D&J for sure I will get some EVO and give it a try.

I wish I liked mushrooms but that one will take some doing for me...LOL.

I also have never tried Avocado.

Gosh I am getting hungry now!

Thank you for sharing...I love it.

Jan 2, 2014 12:19PM - edited Jan 2, 2014 12:26PM by leggo

Found to have been fraudulently labeled as Extra-Virgin:

Whole Foods, Rachel Ray, Safeway,  Newman's Own,  Colavita,  Bertolli, Filippo Berio, Pompeian Star, Carapelli, Mezzetta, Mazzola

Found to be accurately labeled as Extra-Virgin:

Kirkland Organic, Corto Olive, California Olive Ranch,  McEvoy Ranch Organic

Just in case not everyone's aware.

Edited for punctuation

Jan 2, 2014 12:29PM lovewins wrote:

Thanks for jetting us know leggo!

Jan 2, 2014 12:33PM BrooksideVT wrote:

Lots of people find the very concept of "turnip," cooked or raw, pretty scary.  Roasted root veggies are delicious, drizzled with a little olive oil and the herb of the moment.  For flavor, you can include just a little of whatever you're trying not to have:  bacon maybe?

It happens I'd known our local nutritionist for years, never wanted to pay for her expertise, but was delighted to find I can see her for free.

If you can see the nutritionist at your cancer center even a couple of times, she should be able to help you get "grounded" in what are the real keepaways,what are the foods you really need to have in your diet, and what are all the unproven strategies that so many of us try, just because they sound as though they should work.

Dx 11/21/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/4/2014 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 2, 2014 12:35PM leggo wrote:

You're welcome. Just so you know you're getting what you pay for. I was always guilty of buying the one in the prettiest imported bottle, not knowing it contained crap oil. Some of those oils have been cut with vegetable or lesser desired oil, and some were even using rotten olive skins. Explains why some of the EVVO's taste like motor oil.

Jan 2, 2014 05:54PM lovewins wrote:

Ok I know I am serious about changing my eating habits when I spend 7 bucks for extra virgin olive oil!  I headed to the kitchen to make chicken cacciatore!

Jan 3, 2014 09:13AM dogsandjogs wrote:

My Bertoli bottle says "virgin", but not extra-virgin. What is the difference? I assume virgin means from fresh olives right off the tree, or something like that, but what does extra mean? Just a marketing tool probably---

Jan 3, 2014 09:15AM dogsandjogs wrote:

Good for you!  Sure is more expensive than Wesson corn oil , isn't it?  I got sticker shock too--

Jan 3, 2014 09:19AM - edited Jan 3, 2014 09:25AM by lovewins

I am not sure I found this and reading it...when I read the label one said for sautéing and the other one was more for salad.  Their was only 1 bottle left of the one I bought and I took that as a sign, plus I knew I would be using it for cooking.

http://curezone.org/cleanse/liver/oliveoil.asp

edited to add Good catch D&J that's exactly what mine says!  Extra light tasting ((in small print) olive oil.  Sorry about that.

Jan 3, 2014 09:54AM - edited Jan 3, 2014 11:02AM by leggo

I read on another thread you were interested in some ground turkey, but I lost the thread so I'll post it here.

I don't know how you feel about super spicy food, but I love it. If you have a food processor (just because for this, tiny chunks cook better), here's a tasty lean alternative to a fat-laden beef burger. I put the bacon and veggies through the processor. This is the only time I'd recommend bacon, but you kind of need it in ground turkey so it doesn't feel like you're eating a dry cotton ball. The measurements are approximate because I usually eyeball everything, but they're very close. The only thing I'm not sure about the measurements on is the bread crumbs.....just add enough to bind it nicely. 1 package of ground turkey is enough to make about 4 or 5 burgers.

1 package ground turkey breast

4 slices cooked bacon

2 or 3 cloves garlic

1/2 small or 1/4 large red onion

1 tbsp thyme

1 tbsp parsley

1/2 bell pepper, any color will do

1 serrano or jalapeno

2 tsp of the seasoning blend mentioned in my earlier post

2 or 3 drops of tabasco

1 egg

1/4 to 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs to bind. Panko gives a really nice texture. 

I usually end up cooking these on a George Forman type grill so I don't add any extra fat frying them up. They taste really good on a toasted kaiser with a some lettuce, greek yogurt mixed with a pinch of the seasoning blend to cool down the heat on one side of the bun and a smidge of pepper jelly or red currant jelly on the other side. The yogurt and jelly wouldn't be to everyone's liking though. Any of your favourite burger toppings would go nicely, I think.

Jan 3, 2014 09:56AM leggo wrote:

Congrats on splurging on the oil. You can do this. One step at a time. Yay you!

Jan 3, 2014 09:59AM lovewins wrote:

Thank you Leggo I will definitely try these although I won't put the hot stuff!  I have a George Foreman I use a bit.  I like it because it cooks things evenly on both sides.  I do not have a food processor yet but I should invest in one.  Hope you have a great day...thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 (52 results)