Join Us

We are 217,532 members in 84 forums discussing 160,616 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: I confess My eating habits suck but I don't know how to change

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Dec 28, 2013 07:22PM

lovewins wrote:

My last chemo was last Monday and I told myself not to be too concerned about my diet until I was done with Chemo.  I am really struggling with how to eat better...I feel overwhelmed.  I do not like fruits and veggies all that much but I am trying to eat more of them.  Anyone else out there have a hard time changing eating habits?  Any easy recipes you would like to share?  I am going to have to learn how to cook all over again.  Thanks for any advice.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Page 2 of 2 (52 results)

Posts 31 - 52 (52 total)

Jan 4, 2014 01:10PM - edited Jan 4, 2014 01:14PM by leggo

Another delicious veggie option:

Blanche fresh green beans in boiling water for about a minute and a half

Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking

Put about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and saute 1-2 garlic cloves and 2 tbsp minced onion, until onions are clear

Add the beans, 1 to 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp of honey  and saute for another two minutes or so until beans are heated through, but still crunchy

Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Jan 4, 2014 01:59PM lovewins wrote:

Thanks Leggo I love green beans and the vinegar and honey is a different twist for me to try, sounds yummy!

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Jan 4, 2014 07:42PM sloyd66 wrote:

Hi leggo! This is my dilemma also... I'm not that terrible but I know I can do better, and sweets is my downfall, I don't eat a lot of fruits and especially veggies as I'm such a picky eater. I have no clue how to begin other then eat in modesty the things I love.

Oncotype Score 12 Dx 10/2013, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 12/22/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2014

Jan 4, 2014 07:52PM lovewins wrote:

Hi Sloyd...do you like to cook?  I am thinking I need to learn a whole new way of cooking and try new veggies.  Right now I am trying to incorporate veggies I like into dishes I already make.  I am a picky eater too...glad to know I am not alone in this.

Jan 5, 2014 03:54AM - edited Jan 5, 2014 03:55AM by Racy

lovewins, please consider consulting a dietician/nutritionist  who can educate you about healthy eating.

Dx 2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 5, 2014 09:43AM lovewins wrote:

thanks Racey I did have a consult during my last chemo treatment and she gave me some guidelines.  It isn't so much that I don't know what to do it is the actual walking out of making the change that I struggle with.  It is my hope to find other like myself and we can support each other and learn from others as we go.  Anyone else out there struggle to make changes like me and want to share the journey to change I would love to hear from you.

Jan 5, 2014 10:11AM proudtospin wrote:

love---you have gotten lots of good suggestions!  I am still a fan of cookbooks so still buy those as well as search out ideas on line.  Try stuff, this morning I had sautéed kale with a poached egg on top for bfast...I love kale and somewhere I read about this idea...wow! it was good, fast and satisfied my b fast!

I grew up hating tomatoes and only eat a few veggies, now, I chose my veggie and then add the protein or such

have fun and remember, garlic helps everything taste better!

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Jan 5, 2014 10:54AM leggo wrote:

Just a little hint for people who don't like veggies.....sometimes they love them with sauce. Whatever veggie you're boiling, boil in the smallest amount of water possible, save the cooking water, make a rue, turn it into a sauce and add lemon juice, salt and pepper. The cooking water really flavors up the water, keeps the nutrients you would have dumped down the sink and fools you into thinking you're eating a super cream sauce. I find this works particularly well with cauliflower. I don't particularly like cauliflower, but with a sauce, I gobble up a whole pot.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Jan 5, 2014 11:06AM lovewins wrote:

Yes I agree I have gotton a lot of good tips!  Thank you all...I am still motivated to change and want to stay that way!

Jan 5, 2014 11:17AM leggo wrote:

And I almost forgot, fresh spinach can be "hidden" in any tomato-based sauce. The acid destroys the texture and flavor and you won't even know it's there. Maybe you could throw a handful of it into your chicken caccitore next time and see what you think.

Jan 5, 2014 03:36PM dogsandjogs wrote:

What is a "rue"?

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

Jan 5, 2014 03:37PM dogsandjogs wrote:

I love Parsley and add it to veggies - really gives a nice flavor.

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

Jan 5, 2014 05:06PM leggo wrote:

A rue (or roux, I think might be the correct spelling) is a mixture of equal parts fat and flour. For example 2 tbsp. melted butter and 2 tbsp. flour mixed into a paste and added to your liquid, or vice versa if you're adding the liquid to your pan rue. It's just a simple way to thicken. Any liquid fat will work.

Jan 5, 2014 05:39PM dogsandjogs wrote:

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2015 09:36AM PeggySull wrote:

I really like this topic of struggling to actually DO a healthy eating plan. I have all the knowledge of what I should and shouldn't be eating. There are tons of great recipes on this and other threads on healthy cooking.

My problem is avoiding what I call my own "trigger foods". -- foods that once I start eating I cannot stop or be moderate with. These foods are like alcohol to an alcoholic. Sweets are my biggest downfall.

A year after treatment I was so motivated by my fear of recurrence that I ate very healthy, exercised 5-6 days a week and lost the 20 pounds I needed to lose for health reasons. I also felt and looked good without all that fat around my stomach and midriff.

None of my BC docs even noticed I had lost this weight. I realized later it was then I got complacent and gradually gained back those 20 pounds even though I continued to exercise 3 times a week. It wasn't the BC doctor's fault. But they did enable me to start repressing and denying that I am at risk for recurrence, especially during the first 3 years after treatment (I am triple negative).

Is this the place to discuss these issues or are there other threads that focus not so much on recipes but on the struggle to actually USE those recipes to lose weight through healthy for BC survivors? I ask because this thread has become somewhat silent for awhile. Thanks for any guidance in this regard.

Hugs,

Peggy

Dx 10/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 12/3/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/2/2013 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 4/9/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Mar 5, 2015 09:53AM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

Peggy,

I would do a two pronged attack. Up the exercise back to 5-6 times a week. Then go back on the eating healthy wagon. But this time allow for treats. Because if you don't do this, you feel deprived and feel sorry for yourself. I use a summer cycling event for the exercise part. Yes, I have exercised all winter, but training for the Seattle-to-Portland Bicycle will get me moving at a different level.

I exercise every single day, more on weekends than week days. I walk a minimum of 2 miles on week nights. Plus a routine of weights and crunches. Remember that you need upper body work to preserve muscle tone. This helps with burning off the excess weight stored.

Now is the perfect time to get it in gear with the days getting longer, and summer veggies around the corner.

Good luck with all this. You can and will get the weight off. You will look and feel better too. Your brain will perform at its best ever. You can do all this! Remember to approach this effort from the point of view of abundance, not deprivation.  Good luck. - Claire

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Mar 5, 2015 09:54AM Pixiepixie wrote:

a great way to get lots of greens and fruit down you is to buy a juicer! I juice daily.... At least 4 pieces of raw veg and 1 piece of fruit! I feel so much after and know ive done something good for myself. I guess I'm newly diagnosed so am throwing everything at the Cancer..!!

Hugs x

Dx 9/9/2014, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 2, 7/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/18/2014 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/21/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 5, 2015 10:22AM PeggySull wrote:

Thank you Claire for the thoughtful response. I am going to do what you say. Maybe motivation will follow action rather than the other way around?

Hugs,

Peggy

Dx 10/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 12/3/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/2/2013 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 4/9/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Mar 5, 2015 11:53AM farmerlucy wrote:

Great thread!

My guilty pleasure is spending more time than I should on BCO. I force myself to read it on the treadmill w the IPad. Time flies!

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Mar 5, 2015 07:47PM Janna3 wrote:

I just started "juicing"  It is a great way to get in the 10 fruits and veggies that my ocon. dietician recommended.  I also add a scoop of "Alive" pea protein.  (Amazon sells it) .  I  slowly drink about 20 oz. a day, it actually is quite filling.  AND I have lost 9   pounds in the last month since I started.

Mar 6, 2015 10:04AM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

Peggy...thanks for your response back. If you tell the world that you are doing a fitness event, then you will feel extremely silly if you aren't trained enough come event day. I am talking about finishing here. The real benefit comes in the training.

This is also about coming up with a lifestyle you can live with. I heard the frogs sing and saw the moon rise during my 2 mile walk last night. The other day, I dug dandelions and made a dandelion dish with butter beans, mushrooms, and tomatoes for dinner. The recipe was an adaptation of a recipe I had found online to use up extra arugula. It was yummy both ways! But I got more exercise when I dug the dandelions.

I love to explore things by foot or on my bicycle. So that is fun. I do day trips exploring and there are lovely trails here. I have hiking boots and poles. I need new running tights because looked down last Sunday and saw skin where you shouldn't be seeing skin! I sewed them up, but time to look for more.

So plan on spending the Spring outdoors doing fun stuff! - Claire

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

May 18, 2015 11:48AM Som wrote:

It does seem daunting to change your eating habits, but it can be done :)  (Baby steps!)  My oncologist recommended several nutrition/cookbooks while I was in treatment that might also be helpful to you.  I found most of them at my local library:

The Cancer Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery by Rebecca Katz - I like several of the soups in this one

Five to Thrive: Your Cutting Edge Cancer Prevention Plan by Lise N. Alschuler and Karolyn A. Gazella

Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber

The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook: Whole Foods Recipes for Personal and Planetary Health by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre

Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide for Eating Close to the Source by Terry Walters

Page 2 of 2 (52 results)