We are 225,772 members in 82 forums discussing 158,444 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post and share your favorite Veggie recipes

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Jan 1, 2014 06:25PM - edited Jan 1, 2014 06:26PM by lovewins

lovewins wrote:

I am determined to eat better this year and that means learning to cook new recipes with vegetables!  I already made my recipe box at allrecipe.com and I am committed to trying at least one new recipe a month as was suggest by Claire.  Please share your favorite go to recipes or any recipe you care to share.  Thanks.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Page 1 of 2 (49 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (49 total)

Jan 1, 2014 06:53PM flannelette wrote:

Here's my latest fave, easy, delicious, cheap, and you can make a ton of it to eat all week hot or cold:

ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES - makes them all incredibly sweet & delicious

set oven to 425 & get out a large shallow roasting pan or cookie tray. You can line the bottom with parchment paper if you like.

get out your potato peeler and peel as many beets as you like. cut them into uniform chunks (not too large, please as beets are very,very hard & take a long time to bake. certainly not larger than 1" square at most) dump the beets into a bowl, slosh on olive oil, dump into the roasting pan or tray and put in oven. set timer for 15 minutes. do not cover.

now do the same with as many carrots as you'd like, trying to keep sizes same as the beets. dump the carrots into the oily bowl, slosh around, add more oil if needed, and when the timer goes off add them to the cooking beets - spread all so it's one layer deep - stir around a bit. set the timer for another 15 to 20 minutes (carrots are hard, too)

now do the same with some yams. yams cook much faster than the 1st two. when timer rings add yams to the veggies & bake about another 15 minutes, stirring now & again & starting to watch for signs of over-baking, like edges of beets blackening. don't want them undercooked, but nicely sizzled & shrunk - I can't be exact with times. try to keep only 1 layer deep.

add s & p if you like - I find them perfect without. For other veggies you'd have to get to know how hard each one is and in what sequence to add so they all finish baking at the same time. Eat these hot, or later cold as a snack, or nuke them up again with another meal for hot. i can't get enough, that's why I make a ton.

Another great summer combo is zucchini, vidalia onions and red peppers - actually done best on a BBQ in  one of those veggie basket things

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/30/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/1/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/10/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/15/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes Surgery 7/20/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary

Jan 1, 2014 07:07PM lovewins wrote:

Thank you flannelette sounds wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to share! I have never tried beets before.  One thing I have on my side is I love onions. 

Yesterday I made a big pan of green beans, red potatoes, fresh garlic, and onion.  I used a tbsp. of bacon fat (I know baby steps usually I used bacon) and heated it in skillet I added sliced onion and minced fresh garlic until veggies limp then added new potatoes with skin on that I quartered. I tried to let the potatoes brown a bit and added S & P, powdered onion and garlic powder, parsley, 1 tbsp. butter and 1 cup of chicken broth.  Then I added my frozen bag of green beans and let it cook maybe half an hour.  While I know this dish isn't super healthy...but I feel good cuz I am eating veggies.  In the beginning I am allowing myself butter and cheese within reason and moving forward from there.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Jan 1, 2014 08:39PM flannelette wrote:

lovewins - beets might be something harder to get used to if you have not been a veggie eater. You can do the same baking method using things you know you like - such as onions, potatoes, fresh garlic (not chopped up). Onions and garlic are hugely nutritious.

but you would have to figure out whether the onions & potatoes go in at the same time, or one has to go in sooner than the other as their roasting times differ. roasted onions, roasted potatoes and roasted garlic are all fab on their own, so mixed together should be sensational. something that could go with this group might be zucchini, needing less time than, say, the potatoes. It's true, a lot of flavour comes from bacon grease and my mother, who was a wonderful cook, said goose grease was the best - it was delicate and a small amount went a long way. Butter's very flavourful, too. The thing about roasted veggies is they turn incredibly sweet and flavourful, so you actually WANT to eat them.

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/30/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/1/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/10/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/15/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes Surgery 7/20/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary

Jan 1, 2014 08:53PM ruthbru wrote:

Preheat the oven to 450. Line  a cookie sheet with tin foil (so there is no clean up). Cut up any variety of veggies that you have on hand, lots of them, enough to mound up on the cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with some taco seasonings (we use half the packet but you can use less or more depending on how spicy you like things). Bake for 15 minutes, stir and bake for 15 more. The veggies are so absolutely delicious that DH and I (neither of us who loves veggies) will eat the whole sheet ourselves. If you want to make it your whole meal, add some cooked chicken or turkey to the mixture. YUM!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 2, 2014 09:43AM - edited Jan 2, 2014 09:44AM by BayouBabe

Stir fry, in a touch of olive oil, sliced zucchini, fresh mushrooms, onions, one garlic clove, and a red pepper to desired tenderness.  Sprinkle with a touch of Parmesan cheese.  Yum - so delicious, especially in the summer (I am so ready for winter to be over!  Not sure why I live in Michigan with this attitude!)Loopy

BRCA1+, IDC

Jan 2, 2014 10:18AM - edited Jan 2, 2014 10:21AM by Bounce

Green beans

In a skillet (frying pan) heat 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

Add 2 teaspoons of minced garlic.

Heat gently.

Add a bag of frozen green beans.

Let cook a bit and turn over using tongs.  Cook until just tender but still crunchy.

Sprinkle with good quality sea salt (not the chemical salt you buy in the supermarket).

Can be eaten warm or cold.

Quick, easy, tasty, minimum clean up.

Cauliflower is another veggie that can be oven roasted.

Clean well, cut into small pieces, spray with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt.  I usually bake them for an hour but less would be more crunchy and good.

You can add cumin or savory or thyme depending on personal tastes.

Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/3/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 2, 2014 11:31AM lovewins wrote:

Ruth...what a great idea...I love it.  Thanks for taking the time to share, right now my oven is broke but I can't wait to get it fixed. I need to buy some EVO too. 

Bay...I live in MI too, near Grand Rapids.  It sure is a cold, snowy Winter!  I love stir fry but I never thought of putting parm cheese on top...I will try it!

Bounce....I love green beans!  It looks like I really need that EVO and I just bought fresh garlic last week that I am getting the knack of cutting.  May buy some already minced next time.  Thanks for sharing your recipes...I love it ladies it keeps me motivated to try new things.

Next I think I am going to make chicken cacciatore with green peppers, onions and tomatoes.  This will be something I will be able to take for work lunches,  I have decided once I get back to work no more fast food lunches like before.  Another baby step.

Jan 2, 2014 12:16PM Solen wrote:

Here is one of my new favorites:

butternut squash cut into chunks (I often cheat and buy it already cut up!!)

I heat the oven, around 425 or 450 

then add a spoonful of coconut oil to the bottom of a roasting dish .  (yes, THAT oil that once was the devil and is now good for us!  LOL!!!)  I put pan in oven for a minute or two to let coconut oil turn to liquid.  Then I put the squash in pan, stir w oil, return to oven.  Stir a couple times while roasting.  Takes about 30 to 40 min depending on size of chunks.  When toasty brown, remove, add sea salt.  Yummy side dish!

Dx 2/23/2001, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/26/2001 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 5/15/2004 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 8/26/2013, DCIS, 5cm, Stage 0, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/15/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx

Jan 2, 2014 12:19PM Oncearunneralwaysarunner wrote:

Sweet Potato Fries

Pre heat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.

Peel and cut a sweet potato, I usually cut it in strips, coat with 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 minced clove of garlic, paprika, rosemary, salt and pepper. The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of each of the spices but I usually eye ball things. 

Bake for 20 minutes or until easily poked with a fork. Then broil for a minute to get them nice and crispy.

My trick for lunches is to freeze leftovers in single portions. That way I don't waste food and I have quick lunches when in a hurry that are healthier. That way I don't feel like I have to eat the same thing for three days in a row because I don't want it to go bad. 

Dx 6/25/2013, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 7/17/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 10/9/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 12/1/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/12/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Radiation Therapy 3/9/2014 Breast

Jan 2, 2014 12:28PM lovewins wrote:

Solen...butternut squash is a veggie I am curious about and think it is close enough to pumpkin and sweet potatoes that I think I might like it.  I was wondering about coconut oil...sounds interesting.  Thanks for posting!

Oncearunner...Great idea to freeze leftovers, I could for only myself and I find that I get really bored with leftovers.  I definitely with be doing this.  I have gladware but now I wonder about the plastic if it is safe.  I have stopped putting them in the microwave though.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

Does anyone use their crockpot?

Jan 2, 2014 12:34PM Solen wrote:

lovewins

I love pumpkin and sweet potato also!  I tried this recipe with some pumpkin though and I didn't like it for some reason!!!  One thing about the coconut oil, a little goes a long way.  When I first started using it, I would use too much.

Dx 2/23/2001, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/26/2001 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 5/15/2004 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 8/26/2013, DCIS, 5cm, Stage 0, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/15/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx

Jan 2, 2014 06:54PM lovewins wrote:

Thank you Solen I will remember that about the coconut oil.  Today I bought my first bottle of extra virgin olive oil...7 big ones! 

I just finished making my chicken cacciatore, I have made this many times as it is one of my boyfriends favorite dishes and I used to watch them make it at an Italian rest I worked for years.   I modified it to make it easier and healthier than I used to make it.  I have a small crockpot so the recipes I make are smaller.

First I sliced half an onion and half a sliced green pepper in a med hot skillet that I sprinkled EVO.  I let them cook for a bit a minced 2 cloves of garlic and turned the burner down so I wouldn't burn my garlic.  I sprinkled a bit of onion and garlic powder and Italian seasoning.  Normally I would use rosemary but I want to try it with Italian seasoning today.  I removed this and put in crockpot while I cooked my chicken breasts.  Now I would normally use chicken with the bone but I am trying to be easy and healthy so I used 1 very large chicken breast and cut into bite size cubes and placed in med hot skillet with some EVO, it did not get brown like I wanted but I salted and put some garlic powder.  Once chicken cooked I added back veggie mixture and turned heat up and put about a quarter cup red wine and let cook down for a minute and then added a can of stewed tomatoes that had Italian seasoning.  I also put in a tiny bit of Sriracha sauce and just a tiny sprinkle of sugar.  I let it cook for 3-4 minutes and put it in my crockpot.  We will see how it turns out!  I plan to have it with some angel hair pasta.

I hope you all continue to share your healthy recipes with me....God bless...M

Jan 2, 2014 10:35PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Cabbage is really good for you. I adapted this from an Alton Brown recipe...

CABBAGE AND CRUMBS

• 1 bag seasoned croutons (or some Gluten-Free breadcrumbs that you have added some onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and any other seasonings you wish to)
  • 1/2 cup organic butter or margarine
  • 1 head green cabbage

1. Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil

2. In a separate skillet, melt the butter or margarine

3. Smash the croutons in the bag til pulverized. A rolling pin works well for this.

4. Add the smashed croutons (or GF bread crumbs) to the melted butter/margarine in the skillet and stir til moistened. Cover and set aside.

5. Cut cabbage into fourths, remove core, and shred.

6. When water boils in pan, add cabbage and cook for TWO MINUTES ONLY! (If it's a big head of cabbage I may cook it for 3-4 minutes. The water never really comes to another boil again.) THIS IS IMPORTANT!

7. When cabbage is done cooking, drain it thoroughly - really thoroughly - and put back into large pot. Add seasoned crouton/butter mixture and stir well. That's it.

The beauty of this dish is that there is no stinky "cooked cabbage" smell, and the taste is beautifully fresh and savory.

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 2, 2014 10:50PM lovewins wrote:

Thank you blessings...I love Elton Brown.  I watched his Good Eats program last night where he made a lasagna in a crockpot!

I love cabbage too, Thanks for posting your recipe, do cut the cabbage really fine like coleslaw?

Have a good night.

I had to add a can of tomato soup to Chicken Cacciatore because it was no thick enough...it was ok.  I still don't like meat much after chemo and boneless breasts just didn't give much flavor, but it was edible.  Upward and onward.

Jan 2, 2014 11:17PM ruthbru wrote:

I found this recipe on the internet & it is very easy and tasty:

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 can of black beans, drained

1 can chicken broth

1 can whole kernel corn

1 can chicken chunks drained (or about 8 ounces cooked chicken pieces)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can diced tomatoes with green chili peppers (such as Ro*Tel)

Stir it all together, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 2, 2014 11:52PM lovewins wrote:

Sounds very good...I wonder why no tortilla chips?  I would leave out black beans though cuz I really don't like them but I think it still would be good and I love soup.  Thanks Ruth.

Jan 3, 2014 08:02AM Oncearunneralwaysarunner wrote:

I use my crockpot fairly regularly in the winter. Mostly for chilies, stew or pasta sauce. I find it very easy to sneak in extra veggies in those meals, or replace ground beef with ground turkey or chicken to make things leaner without sacrificing flavours too much. 

If you use your crock pot often, see if you can get your hands on Michael Smith's "Fast Flavours"  book. Lots of tasty recipes that are quick to make and some list instructions for cooking the meal conventionally or using your crock pot. 

Dx 6/25/2013, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 7/17/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 10/9/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 12/1/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/12/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Radiation Therapy 3/9/2014 Breast

Jan 3, 2014 09:00AM lovewins wrote:

ORAR...Thank you  for the great ideas, I will check into the cookbook. Yes I bought the stuff to make chili too when I went to the store.  I don't put beans in mine as I really don't like the texture.  But I know tomatoes are good for me.  I agree and plan to make the switch to ground chicken and turkey.  I am concerned about making changes to quickly and giving up.  I am going to borrow a word from these threads and make changing my diet doable!  If chemo can be certainly eating healthier can be too.  Thanks for all your support and suggestions ladies.  If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to post here so we can find a solution about our struggle to change our eating habits.

Jan 3, 2014 10:36AM ruthbru wrote:

I suppose they left out the chips in the interest of 'healthy eating'.....sigh!

Jan 3, 2014 11:10AM lovewins wrote:

Right Ruth...I didn't even think of that!

Had my Chicken Cacciatore for late breakfast and it was better 2nd day.  Next time the only thing I would do different is use chicken on the bone...I think it is a must.

Another thing I am trying to be mindful of is not wasting food...I am very guilty of this in the past so I am really working on making smaller amounts when I cook.  Also since chemo my stomach has shrunk and I want to keep it that way!

Jan 3, 2014 12:13PM BayouBabe wrote:

Lovewins - be sure to check out Cooking Light magazine and/or their cookbooks.  They are a must for health conscientious cooks and always have some delicious recipes, photos, and ideas for new foods and vegetables that you might not have tried before.

BRCA1+, IDC

Jan 4, 2014 02:09PM lovewins wrote:

ok I think I should of posted recipes with veggies because that is my main goal to eat more veggies.  Today it is really stormy and I won't be going anywhere today.  I decided to make my chicken and dumpling crockpot recipe.  So far what I am doing is learning to incorporate veggies into the dishes I already know how to make. 

I seasoned 1 large chicken breast with garlic & onion powder and S & P.  I added 1 can of herb cream of chicken soup with 1/2 can water the other half milk, jar of chicken gravy, minced celery and onion and just a wee bit of frozen corn.  Peas or carrots would be good but I do not like peas and I don't have any carrots!  Once this cooks for 5 hours on high I can add ref biscuit cut into pieces and let them cook for 30 minutes. 

Prior I would not of added any veggies to this dish at all....baby steps will get me where I need to go and prevent me from giving up. 

Thanks for sharing the journey ladies and please feel free to post recipes or questions. 

Jan 6, 2014 02:53AM Bounce wrote:

If you like cabbage:

I buy a 400g bag of pre cut caggabe or a mix of cabbage and carrot.

I heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pot.  Add the cabbage and cook until just warm and a bit wilted.

I add a tablespoon of sunflower seeds and a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds (shells removed obviously!).

Sprinkle with ..... natural sea salt.

Quick, easy, tasty, filling.

You can add pepper if you want it a bit spicy - or any other herbs or spices.

Butternut can be cooked whole in the microwave (just poke it once or twice to let steam escape) or baked whole in the oven.  Needs very little to make it tasty.

Any EASY recipes for mangold leaves?  They look lovely but I haven't got a clue what to do with them.

Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/3/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 6, 2014 03:51AM Momine wrote:

I made the following mushroom lasagne for NYE. It is not exactly super-healthy, since it involves ricotta, noodles and bechamel, but it still does have lots of veggies and ought to be OK for an occasional splurge:

Start by making a bechamel of 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup olive oil and 6 cups milk (lowfat is fine), salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. While that cools off a bit, do the filling.

Make a tomato sauce of 2 medium onions, 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped and sauteed. When translucent add half cup red wine (if you have it), let bubble off, then add 6 cups crushed tomato, grated zest of half an orange, salt and pepper. Let simmer.

While that simmers, cube 4 biggish portobellos and saute them a bit. Then add them to the tomato sauce. Also add a handful of chooped parsley and one of basil.

Then take 2 pounds of oyster mushrooms, clean off the stems and saute till softened and lightly browned. Set aside.

Get a tin that will hold 6 lasagne noodles (the no-boil kind) in one layer. Take a small ladle of the bechamel and spread it in the tin. Take a ladle of the tomato sauce and spread that too. Lay down a layer of noodles. Top noodles with half the tomato sauce and half the oyster mushrooms. Take a half-pound container of ricotta and add half the cheese in spoonfuls. Another layer of noodles, reast of sauce, mushrooms and ricotta. Last layer of lasagne. Now beat 2 eggs into the bechamel and pour it evenly over the top. You can sprinkle some parmesan on top if you like, but it is not really necessary. Bake 40-50 minutes, until the top is nicely browned and set. Let rest 15 minutes before cutting. 

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 6, 2014 04:36AM Moderators wrote:

The main Breastcancer.org site has a selection of Recipes for and articles about healthier eating - with ideas for everything from cooking using a slow cooker to better-for-you popcorn. 

• The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jan 6, 2014 09:14AM lovewins wrote:

Thank you ladies for the wonderful recipes...I love cabbage and Lasagna!  I have never made a béchamel sauce and plan to do so one day.  Also I love seeds and nuts...I wish they were so expensive!

Jan 6, 2014 09:15AM lovewins wrote:

Thank you Moderator!

Jan 6, 2014 10:04AM lovewins wrote:

Today I made my omelet with green pepper, onion, potatoes and cheese instead of normal ham and cheese!  Baby steps! 

Jan 6, 2014 04:41PM Momine wrote:

Lovewins, bechamel is easy, but not really a BC-friendly food. I only make it a few times a year now, when my daughter or other guests are here.

Take the olive oil and flour and whisk it together in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat. Keep whisking fairly often, until it starts bubbling a bit. Let it cook, while stirring, for a few minutes (it must NOT burn). That is your roux. Then take your milk and add a little to the roux, while stirring vigorously with the whisk. It usually necessary to take the pot of the heat until you have whisked it completely smooth. whisk in rest of milk, add salt, pepper and grate of nutmeg, then stir over heat until it starts boiling, let it boil, stirring all the time, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

That is your basic white sauce. For a nice, thick sauce, the proportions are 1/4C flour, a little less than that oil (enough to make smooth paste with the flour) and 2C milk.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 6, 2014 05:40PM lovewins wrote:

thank you Momine...this must be how one makes alfredo sauce adding cheese.  thanks for the recipe.  olive oil seems to be keeping me reg. if you know what I mean...my body is not use to it.  but that is not a bad thing.  plus the extra veggies.  today is day 3 I have been snowed in!  ugh!

Page 1 of 2 (49 results)