Join Us

We are 217,533 members in 84 forums discussing 160,617 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post and share your favorite Veggie recipes

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Jan 1, 2014 06:25PM - edited Jan 1, 2014 06:26PM by lovewins

lovewins wrote:

I am determined to eat better this year and that means learning to cook new recipes with vegetables!  I already made my recipe box at allrecipe.com and I am committed to trying at least one new recipe a month as was suggest by Claire.  Please share your favorite go to recipes or any recipe you care to share.  Thanks.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Page 2 of 2 (49 results)

Posts 31 - 49 (49 total)

Jan 8, 2014 03:19AM Momine wrote:

Lovewins, yes it is the base for alfredo sauce as well. 

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 10, 2014 06:00PM 2nd_time_around wrote:

hi all! I tried Blessings' cabbage and crumbs recipe yesterday, just made a small batch as it's only me that eats it. VERY tasty, no stinky smell that usually happens when I boil it, and very easy to make smaller portions.

Hoping to try Ruth's taco-seasoned veggies tonight or this weekend

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Jan 10, 2014 08:34PM Blessings2011 wrote:

HappyThumbsUp

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 10, 2014 09:02PM Wren44 wrote:

I would leave the cream of chicken soup out of the tortilla soup and add strips of baked tortilla.

For New Year's DH made our black eyed peas and okra with Indian spices. It was delicious and we'll definitely do that again.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 11, 2014 12:39AM Blessings2011 wrote:

Wren44 - you and your DH will definitely have good health and prosperity in the new year!!! (At least that's what my Mama would say...)

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 11, 2014 06:34PM lovewins wrote:

Hi all...I am glad you tried Blessings cabbage recipe and had good success and time...I confess I haven't been cooking the last few days but I am getting my fruit in.  I am trying all different kinds of apples because for some reason they taste so good after chemo...I never liked apples that much before.  I bought the stuff to make homemade chili, my next recipe.  Have a wonderful night ladies.

Dx 7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 8/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/4/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Breast

Mar 4, 2014 01:29PM Sierra wrote:

some great recipes here Gals tks

did anyone mention turnips I did not see it

or cauliflower baked?

I must get some coconut oil

any special brand?

my goodness, Im starving as I post

LOL

Sierra:)

The Time is Now! Dx 1/2000, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-

Mar 4, 2014 01:38PM Wren44 wrote:

My DH uses cumin sometimes. Turns it a pretty yellow. Not a turnip fan, so can't help there.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Mar 5, 2014 12:37PM Sierra wrote:

tks, im taking tumeric tablets

it can stain the teeth

I hear turnip is good for you

but just try to cut one open LOL

Sierra :)

ps I like your little bird Wren

Mar 8, 2014 07:36AM Sadiecat22 wrote:

My niece introduced me to Kale.  Wasn't sure I liked it that much but after  finally finding some that was really fresh crisp I made the following adapted from something I saw on ShareCare site.  For a large salad:

3 large stalks of fresh kale, chopped bite sized, after stems and thick vein removed, 1 Avocado, 6-8 grape tomatoes cut in half, 1/4 cup or less chopped, roasted almonds (I roasted raw unsalted almonds in oven at 350 for 12 mins).  

Dressing:  juice from 1 fresh lemon, 1/4 cup or so of red wine vinegar, 1 large clove garlic minced (or more, I love garlic), 3 tablespoons of EVOO (flavored if you have it...I have an olive oil shop near me that sells a Tuscan olive oil).  Add EVOO to dressing at end.  Emulsify with emersion blender if you can.  Not critical.

I gently mixed the kale, tomato and avocado, added the dressing and gently tossed it, then topped with almonds.  Tasted yummy.  Thought kale would be bitter, but it wasn't at all.

Obviously you could add just about anything to this basic salad.  Maybe some fresh crisp apple slices...?  They say toasted pumpkin seeds are good for men watching prostate.  

Dx 1/20/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/10/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/10/2014 Breast

Mar 8, 2014 07:48AM Sadiecat22 wrote:

Breakfast smoothie that I've come to love!  Original from Harley Pasternak who has some other good recipes.  Not sure how I first saw this online. I doctored it up with 1 add, noted below.  Love it.

5 raw almonds, 1 red apple (I used honey crisp), 1 banana, 3/4 cup non fat Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.  My add, 2tablespoons or so of French vanilla whey protein powder.  Blend well.  I use a Ninja blender (use it a lot to make really healthy smoothies). Makes a pretty large serving.  

If you're really adventurous, Google Kimberly Snyders Glowing Green Smoothie.  It sounds odd, but it tastes very good.  I leave out the celery as I think it ruins the taste.  I've adapted the recipe by adding other greens and a few carrots.  Makes about 60 ounces.  Gets in those much needed servings of veggies and fruit.  

Dx 1/20/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/10/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/10/2014 Breast

Mar 8, 2014 02:10PM Sierra wrote:

Hi Sadiecat:

your recipes sound delish

I do this with kale as well

or the odd time might just bake in oven with olive oil

any herbs u care to add.. whatever

and the smoothie sounds good

what type of protein powder do u use

oh, I see it is whey i use that as well

actually I get one from New Zealand quite $$$$

cinnamon is great  I have no blender

so i shake it vigorously in a glass jar LOL

Sierra ;)

Jul 12, 2015 03:05PM NorthernCanuck wrote:

I went to a lunch and learn at work about how to eat to stay cancer free (too late for me).

It turns out I mostly eat well (we garden every year and can / freeze the harvest) and we cook all of our meals from scratch. Even with that though, I am making some changes.

1. Less red meat and more fish or chicken

2. 7-10 servings (1/2 cup each) of fruits and veg

3. Add nuts and grains

Luckily our favourite veggies are in the super veggie group: cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and tomatoes. Kale belongs in this group but I won't eat it.

One thing I've been doing and enjoying is buying a bag of shredded cabbage and a jar of Renee's coleslaw dressing (Renee's is natural and not loaded with chemicals) and sunflower seeds and having that as one of the side dishes.

If you steam Brussels sprouts until tender (not gushy) then lightly butter, then sprinkle with just a few real bacon bits, you will have a very tasty side dish. You can buy real bacon bits in your spice section of the grocery store.

So, to get the 7-10 servings of veggies we have at least two veggie side dishes per meal (not including the starch side dish).

Also, I've been adding dried beans to anything I can think of. You really need to soak and rinse the dried beans for a couple of days. Rinse and change the water frequently to avoid the beans causing gas.

So, nothing drastic ... just small changes.

Surgery 2/18/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 5/20/2015, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/20/2015, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/6/2015, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Jul 12, 2015 03:21PM proudtospin wrote:

so the week I was set to start my rads, I stopped at my fav farm stand and the farmer was just coming in from the fields with a HUGE head of something. It turned out to be Kale and this was before Kale was cool,. I bought it and started making Portugese Kale soup also called Caldo Verdi. Basically a good mixed veggie soup with kale. I made it and basically lived on it during radiation!

Kale, potatoes, onions ,sausage or ham and I add lots of other things I understand the fishermen in New Bedfoed live on it and if it keeps them healthy, dang good for me

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Jul 13, 2015 12:54PM april485 wrote:

You guys are making me hungry! I roast a lot of veggies cause it makes them nuttier and sweeter tasting. Asparagus are particularly good this way. Just toss in a little olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. YUM!

Green beans with bread crumbs and parm cheese

Par boil for 2 minutes as many green beans as you like

Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a skillet and toss green beans in the butter and sauté for a minute or two and then add 1/4 cup of dried bread crumbs and 1/4 cup of parm cheese and keep moving them around the pan until very lightly brown. Then watch them disappear! Not the most low fat recipe but soooo yummy! You can also do this with brussel sprouts or broccoli or cauliflower!

"Fear has been a huge dictator in my life - so I am trying to stage a coup!" ~ a friend Dx 1/30/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/10/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/21/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 13, 2015 04:31PM NineTwelve wrote:

I've been making a white bean and tomato salad, now it's too hot to cook. It's a lot like the one in the link. I leave out the oil and use chopped fresh basil instead of dill. A couple of grinds from my shaker of Himalayan pink salt really brings out the flavor:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/dilled-white-bean-and-grape-tomato-salad

Right thoughts, right words, right action! - Franz Ferdinand Dx 9/12/2014, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2014 Dx 7/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs Hormonal Therapy 8/16/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy 8/16/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jul 13, 2015 04:41PM luvmygoats wrote:

OO NineTwelve - thanks for that recipe. I just happened to have bought some fresh dill this weekend I did not use. Sounds very yummy.

SNB & Lumpectomy 2/21/12. Opted for no Oncotype due to very favorable pathology. 90% ER+. Rads finished 5/23/12. 28 + 5 boosts Dx 2/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/21/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/9/2012 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/8/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 13, 2015 06:17PM NineTwelve wrote:

luvmygoats: It is yummy! I even made the white beans from the bag (not canned). It was easy, and cheap, and now I have lunches for several days.

Get the pink salt, too, if you don't have it. It adds a smoky flavor.

Right thoughts, right words, right action! - Franz Ferdinand Dx 9/12/2014, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2014 Dx 7/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs Hormonal Therapy 8/16/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy 8/16/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jul 15, 2015 01:39AM Hopeful82014 wrote:

That looks great for summer days, 9 12. I ate a similar dish when I lived in Italy but tuna was added to it. I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for jogging my memory!
Dx IDC

Page 2 of 2 (49 results)