Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Alternatives to processed foods

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Aug 28, 2014 12:29PM

leggo wrote:

I'm not sure about anyone else, but for the last few years, I've refused to eat anything processed. The hardest things for me to work around were condiments. I LOVE my ketchup, bbq sauces and asian sauces. Most alternatives were easy to make but my favourite....soya sauce, was a mystery. Consequently, I've been going without and missing every minute of it. Last week I decided to experiment so I could eat my favourite foods again. Here is a recipe for anyone missing their soya sauce. Not exactly the same but a really awesome alternative.

2 cups beef broth

2 tsp. Balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar)

1 tsp. Molasses (not blackstrap, it made it bitter)

1/4 tsp. Minced ginger

1/4 tsp. Minced garlic

1/4 tsp. Minced onion

Couple grinds of fresh pepper

Boil uncovered to reduce to about 1/2 cup. This is the important part that kind of takes the place of fermentation.

Note, I don't use salt, so I used homemade beef broth without any. I'm sure if you used regular it would taste even better.

For any soy giver-uppers......enjoy your Asian food again!

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Aug 29, 2014 03:58AM Heidihill wrote:

Looks fantastic and good on its own without thinking of it as a substitute for soy sauce!

Dx 8/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 3/24/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 30, 2014 12:14AM coraleliz wrote:

As a soy giver upper, I'l have to try this. I try not to use anything that comes in a package. I use to use Braggs Amino acids years ago, but it is soy basedScared

Dx 2/28/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/15/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Sep 3, 2014 11:21AM Aphena wrote:

hi

Try the Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos, they have them on Amazon, some Whole Foods. Pretty darn similar taste to soy sauce but soy and gluten free,

Aphena

Dx 6/18/2014, DCIS, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes

Sep 3, 2014 11:36AM - edited Sep 3, 2014 11:42AM by leggo

Aphena, I actually tried the coconut aminos, and they were pretty good (but the salt content was a little higher than I liked). Very good substitute, but it was recalled in Canada and to date, I have not seen it back on the shelves. The pamphlet at the health food store said their bottles would explode from the yeast fermentation so they won't stock it anymore.Scared

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Sep 3, 2014 12:07PM - edited Sep 3, 2014 12:35PM by leggo

If anyone else has recipes for processed foods, please share. Here's one for Miracle Whip (can't give up the tangy zip, so I had to find a sub). It's almost identical.

1 organic egg yolk

4-5 tsp. White vinegar, depending on how much tang you like. I use 4, kids like 5

4 tsp. Granulated sugar

1/4 tsp. Salt. I leave this out in mine and it's still tasty

1/4 tsp. Lemon juice

1 cup organic vegetable oil

1/4 tsp. Dry mustard

1/8 tsp. Paprika

1/8 tsp. Garlic powder

Use a food processor if you can. Hand whisking mayo sucks...takes forever.

Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and lemon juice into a pourable cup or squeeze bottle. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

Whip egg yolk for a couple seconds to smooth.

SLOWLY add the oil to the whipped egg yolk, while whipping and whip until thick. 

Add the vinegar solution, mustard, paprika and garlic and give it another quick whip to combine. Not too much, you don't want it to split.

Makes a cup of yummy Miracle Whip without all the nasty stuff.

Sep 3, 2014 01:54PM - edited Sep 3, 2014 01:54PM by leggo

This Post was deleted by leggo.

Sep 3, 2014 02:20PM - edited Sep 3, 2014 02:43PM by leggo

I was going to post a recipe for clean, homemade ketchup, but then realized, half the post disappeared and it's really long. If you want it, just let me know, and I'll repost. In the meantime, here's a recipe for a yummy bbq sauce. I'm sure there are some clean, organic ketchups you could use instead of making your own.

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup organic red pepper jelly 

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon grainy mustard

1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce 

Sauté onions until clear in a splash of oil. Add the rest, mix and simmer for a few minutes. 

Note, I do use processed worchestershire sauce. My friend gave me a recipe for a homemade version, but it takes waaaaay too long and just doesn't compare. The health food store does sell a cleaner commercial version that's better than homemade.

Oct 17, 2014 08:44PM painterly wrote:

Thanks for your recipes leggo I plan to use them.

Oct 18, 2014 02:39AM - edited Oct 18, 2014 02:40AM by leggo

Welcome. I hope others post some too. I'm kind of a stickler about what's in my food. If I can't pronounce it, I don't want it in my mouth. My best guess is that this whole bc thing started with a combination of me not paying attention to the chemicals in my "supposedly safe" food and stress. Bah-bye and good riddance to both.

Nov 27, 2014 10:07AM leggo wrote:

Tried this last night. If there are any Indian food fans out there, it's a fairly unprocessed, low fat alternative to the original Tikka Masala. Easy too, with a slow-cooker, but I didn't like the chicken floaties so next time won't use the slow cooker.

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cubed

1 medium onion - diced

15 oz can coconut milk - light

1 cup plain greek yogurt - low fat

¼ cup tomato paste

2 tablespoons grated ginger root

2 garlic cloves - grated

2 tablespoons garam masala

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon salt (I didn't use any and it was still ok.)

½ teaspoon cayenne - optional (I like HOT so I used way more and added some red pepper flakes.)

Just mix together in the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 on low.

Dec 16, 2014 12:32PM leggo wrote:

Easy way to get some turmeric into you and your kids if you don't care for the taste. Healthy pocorn topping.

Melt and simmer for a couple minutes. 

3tbsp. Coconut oil (my son used butter once...not as good)

2-3 cloves minced garlic

1/4 tsp. Turmeric

1/4 tsp. Curry powder

1/4 tsp. Ground cumin

Few dashes tabasco. (I like super-hot...few dashes gives it a bite....10 dashes is more my taste)

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)