Join Us

We are 216,686 members in 84 forums discussing 160,147 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Low Glycemic Load Eating Plan

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Dec 17, 2014 01:34PM

cowgal wrote:

I just wondered if anyone was trying to do a low glycemic load eating plan? I need to lose weight and everything I read seems to indicate that this would be a healthy lifestyle change.

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Dec 17, 2014 05:33PM SpecialK wrote:

I eat no dairy, sugar, peanuts, gluten, eggs, corn, soy - I eat grass fed or pasture raised protein, lots of non-starchy vegetables, low glycemic index/high fiber fruit, almond and coconut milk, brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans.  I had tried 1200 cals a day and walking a fast five miles daily and could not lose the 25 lbs gained from chemo steroids and hormonal therapy - changing to this type of eating did it.  I lost a lb a week for 6 months and now weigh less than I did before chemo.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

Dec 18, 2014 02:31AM Blessings2011 wrote:

SpecialK - could you come and stay at my house for a week or three or four?

I promise to buy all the things you eat... I just need you to motivate me!!!! Happy

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 18, 2014 10:23AM - edited Dec 18, 2014 10:27AM by SpecialK

blessings - lol!  I would be happy to come stay with you, and the bonus is that you live in my home state!  This is a hard eating plan to initiate but there is no question that it has worked - for me (25 lbs, no joint pain, improved lymphedema swelling), my former boss (23 lbs and no more joint pain - she couldn't even make a fist before adopting this way of eating), my husband (he eats what I give him but he lost 15 lbs, ha!), my friend who lost about 30 lbs on her own and then hit a plateau (now has lost an additional 8), and another breast cancer friend, who just started.  What is interesting is how when you don't eat sugar most people lose the craving for it within a couple of weeks, and how well both my DH and I feel when we don't eat processed foods.  The first couple of weeks is the hardest but after a lot of label reading, some experimentation with recipes, and planning how to avoid temptation and how to eat in restaurants or when socializing, I was able to work out how to do this.  There is no real portion control with this diet - it is an elimination of the foods that are most likely to increase inflammation - so you don't feel the deprivation that is common with calorie-counting type diets. Those of us who have had success and feel better eating this way are not viewing this as a diet, but rather a new way of eating going forward.  This plan is actually the Virgin Diet - the book by J J Virgin.  I read the original book, but she also wrote a recipe book, which also explains the premise of the diet very well.  If you are really interested I would skip the first book and go straight to the recipe book - or you can also see some info here:

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/the-virgin-diet-by-jj-virgin-2012-what-to-eat-and-foods-to-avoid-food-list/

In the past I have also used the South Beach Diet - which is similar to the Virgin Diet, but not as restrictive.  I feel it is also a good eating plan to follow long term.  I believe that hormonal therapy was making it difficult to lose and South Beach didn't restrict some of the things that were causing me trouble, but it is a good plan too. 

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

Dec 18, 2014 11:44AM glennie19 wrote:

I try to stick to a Paleo/Primal type of diet and I find that works for me.  Keeps the weight off, no crazy blood sugar fluctations and I don't really have to count calories, just eat what is on the "diet".  I do eat some dairy and some beans, which are not really Primal, but I find that small amounts are OK for me.  And you do lose the sugar cravings when you stop eating it. And then when you eat a piece of cake or something it is REALLY SWEET!!  One bite and I'm done.

Fibromyalgia and Truncal Lymphedema,,, some of the fun things I live with. Total hysterecomy 9/29/14 Prophy MX Righty 11/30/17 Dx 6/27/2013, Paget's, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Dx DCIS

Dec 18, 2014 12:29PM SpecialK wrote:

glennie - the eating plan I use is similar to Paleo, a lot of people combine Virgin and Paleo together, and I have found the same when I eat a bite of dessert - it is too sweet for me - so, yay!

Dec 19, 2014 02:16AM Blessings2011 wrote:

SpecialK - a month after my BMX, my MO told me I needed Arimidex. I smugly assured her that there was no estrogen in my body, since I'd gone through menopause AND a hysterectomy. She kindly pointed out that estrogen was still manufactured in the body after menopause... especially in belly fat.... as I stood there, all 205 pounds of me. I just stared at her and said I'd be back.

What I did was go on a medically-supervised liquid fast. For four months, I had nothing but four protein shakes, one soup, and one protein bar a day. Within three weeks my fibromyalgia was gone.... not because I'd lost weight, but because the diet was gluten-free.

I was never hungry, and I was fine with the regimen of limiting my foods. We were allowed to use herbs and spices to liven up the shakes and soups.

Transition meant learning to re-introduce small portions of really healthy food back into our diets. That took three months.

All in all, I lost 60 pounds and more than 65 inches. I felt healthier than I ever had in my life, and had the energy to exercise like never before. In the beginning I went off a dozen prescription meds, and never went back on them. ALL my lab work returned to normal.

But gradually, life (and Aromatase Inhibitors) got in the way. I've gained back 15 pounds, but I know I can get it off again.

DH is on a very strict Kidney Disease diet. We know how to eat sensibly. We both have tremendous discipline to eat a plant-based, no-red-meat diet.

But somehow the Chips Gnomes sneak in at night... and what can you do? Loopy

I am going to look up that book you mentioned!

p.s. If we have anything sweet at all, we serve it in tiny teacups.

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/4/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 19, 2014 07:56PM glennie19 wrote:

wow, Blessings,,, your fibro went away??? Dang!!   I need to resolve to get totally gluten free and see if that helps me out.

Fibromyalgia and Truncal Lymphedema,,, some of the fun things I live with. Total hysterecomy 9/29/14 Prophy MX Righty 11/30/17 Dx 6/27/2013, Paget's, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Dx DCIS

Dec 19, 2014 10:48PM SpecialK wrote:

blessings and glennie - I am a believer that reducing inflammation, which gluten and lots of other things can cause, is the key.

blessings - you are to be congratulated on the weight loss - my mom did a similar diet years ago and did well.  Love the comment on the tiny teacups, lol!  I find I do better if stuff is not in the house, then I can't eat it!  DH went off the reservation for a couple of months and started bringing stuff home - and he gained back 10 of the 15 he lost - so he is back on the plan and the M&M's are out of the house!

glennie - eliminating gluten has been key for a couple of my friends with hand pain - neither are celiac, but taking gluten away also took their pain away.

Dec 20, 2014 12:31AM Blessings2011 wrote:

INFLAMMATION!!!! Devil

Dec 20, 2014 10:11AM cowgal wrote:

Blessings, it looks like JJ Virgin that SpecialK brought up has a new book that just came out called the "Sugar Impact Diet". Her last book was the "Virgin Diet" that SpecialK mentioned. I'm not sure how the two diets compare to each other. I'm currently reading "The Sugar Blockers Diet" by cardiologist Rob Thompson. It is a low glycemic load plan.

Dec 20, 2014 05:37PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Thanks, cowgal! Will check them out!!!

Dec 27, 2014 04:04PM Momine wrote:

I initially cut out all refined carbs and all sugar. It was challenging at first, but after about threemonths, it got so much easier. Now I have eased up a bit, but I still pick veggies over fries, whole grain bread over white etc. It DOES keep my weight amazingly stable (and low) and I just feel better. The hardest thing in the beginning was getting used to eating more food. If you mainly eat veggies, you need to up the volume to get enough calories and feel full

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 27, 2014 04:30PM TB90 wrote:

Cowgal:  I will not cut any food out entirely, nor follow any diets/plans as they change as fast as my underwear :)  To keep it simple, I try to eat everything as close to its original form as possible, as organic as possible, humanely raised to ease my conscience, and limit sugar and unhealthy fat.  I try to focus on high fiber, plant based foods to ensure that the sugar I do get, does not cause sugar spikes.  I threw my juicer out.  This works for me and I actually have a difficult time keeping my weight on.  I do work out every day also.  We love to cook though, so cooking everything from scratch and ensuring all the ingredients are as clean as possible, is fun for us.  I even love to spend hours finding the right stores for all my ingredients.  Not everyone would like to invest this time and energy, but it has become a hobby for me.  I allow myself to eat anything if I am out at someone's for dinner, etc. and do not worry at all about special occasions and treats.  I feel amazing and have tons of energy.  This seems to be just the right recipe for me as it is very flexible (we travel a lot) and I have become very healthy in the past year, throwing out all medications and actually having my blood pressure become low.  But if I had specific health issues like some of the other posters, I may be inclined to become more restrictive.  Whatever works and can be incorporated long-term into your lifestyle, will be the best plan for you. 

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/17/2013 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/19/2014 Breast

Jan 1, 2015 08:09PM Lucy2014 wrote:

Paleo Diet query: I read that coconut has estrogenic activity and I stopped using its oil etc.

Is there anybody able to expand on this matter? thank you

Dx 9/19/2014, IDC, 2cm, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary

Jan 17, 2015 12:17PM zogo wrote:

I'm jumping into this conversation a bit late, my apologies. I've been eating low carb for 3.5 years now (my pbmx was 4 years ago).

I have lost 30 lbs. Still working on losing some more, but it is coming off more slowly as I get closer to goal.

I went through a phase of higher fat, but that just didn't feel right. Now I follow a chart from a Facebook group called Optimal Ketogenic Living. My goal is to be in ketosis, but I have to be diligent with my tracking.

The best book I have found, and the one I base my macros on is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs Volek and Phinney. My daily goals are around 25g carbs, 75g fat, 100g protein.

~Jane~ "Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them" ......"You'll never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option"

Jan 17, 2015 01:03PM windgirl wrote:

Cowgal - I did try a low glycemic index diet 2 years ago after reading a book on it by a cardiologist. I didn't follow it religiously but was able to lose about 8 pounds in 2 months, which is pretty good considering my weight is not that high (138 to 130). What I noticed was that I could fit into my clothes that I could only wear when I was as low as 125 pounds. I didn't think possible but it really helped me get rid of fat (which I carry more in the abdomen) than fat and muscle. Earlier in the year I had a very busy work schedule eating at my desk lunch and dinner and ordering from restaurants so I put it back on. Now I am back on it - though not fully - and hoping to go back down to 130. I try not to eat anything with glycemic index higher than 50 (except for my daily desert), and I try to wait 4-5 hours between the 3 meals without snacking. This is key, no snacking, no small and numerous portions. Idea is to eat 3 good meals and not get hungry for 4-5 hours. Last meal should be about 4 hours before you sleep to maximize fat burn during sleep.

I am Mediterranean. I do eat a huge breakfast with this diet, which was a change for me as I typically either just got a starbucks latte or added maybe a banana or a croissant to it before. Now I eat a 2 egg omlette with feta and parsley, more cheese, a tomato, about 8-10 black olives and drink a glass of milk. If I eat this around 7-8 am, I still am not hungry by 1pm and am not craving a big dish of pasta or a giant sandwich for lunch at work. I love carbs so I cannot do without and have been eating bulgur instead of rice next to veggies and/or meat. Lunch and dinner really vary and I just eat whatever I want from the list of foods with 50 or less glycemic index. This diet is very easy to keep up with, is supposed to reduce your insulin resistance if you have fat around belly and crave sweets like me, promote leptin being able to do its job, and lose fat especially around the belly area. You do need to do some light daily exercise at least, the book I read recommended 30 minutes of walking.

I just met with a dietician this week at my radiology center when I went in for my sim, and she also independently recommended this diet for my situation. Everyone is different and there could be a better diet that is more suitable for you. If you have any questions just let me know :)

Dx 7/14/2014, IDC, 3cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 8/13/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 8/13/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/13/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/19/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/28/2015 Breast

Jan 20, 2015 01:07PM cowgal wrote:

I was doing pretty well eating a low glycemic load diet and my pants were fitting looser than WHAM I woke up Monday morning and I am either swollen or bloated and my clothes are quite a bit tighter and my knees were hurting more. Still feeling that way today. It is very frustrating as this has happened to me prior to this diet and I am trying to figure out if I have a low grade food allergy or a food intolerance causing all of this! My sister and mother are both lactose intolerant and my sister thinks I need to get tested for lactose intolerance too. I just know it is very frustrating to think you are on the right track to weight loss and better health and then you have this pop up and don't know what is causing it or what to do about it.

Jan 20, 2015 02:24PM zogo wrote:

Cowgirl, that inflammation sounds like it definitely had a root cause, not just low glycemic. Did you eat anything different than normal. Sometimes when I eat something really salty, I gain a pound or 2. But, not in my knees.

If lactose intolerance runs in the family, it might be that. You can get it later in life, even if you haven't had it before.

~Jane~ "Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them" ......"You'll never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option"

Jan 21, 2015 02:19PM AlexaP wrote:

Hi all I am new to this group. As you can see from my signature/stats I just had a PMX and BSO. I have a TE that is filled to 800cc (yes it hurts) and am having some back pain issues because it's sort of messing with my ribcage... Hopeful for my exchange surgery in about 5'weeks.

Hubby and I got those vivofit things you wear on your wrist for Christmas. It counts your daily steps and comes with an app that tracks your steps, any additional exercise and your food intake. For my weight loss goal, it says I need so many steps a day, and this much carbs/fat/protein. It is very highly carb based but I will only eat carbs in the form of fruit or whole grain. I did sugar buster diet in the past and GAINED weight. I did Atkins and lost weight. I'm pretty sure Atkins is not quite the right answer though so I'm doing a modified... No sugar no simple carbs higher in protein lower in fat and more veggies. Organic whenever possible.

Just looking for some diet buddies who are also dealing with all the other issues we have to deal with. I'm also on the exercise boards... So here's hoping! My ultimate goal is to lose 50 pounds

Dx 2/1996, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/13 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/3/1996 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 4/9/1996 CMF Surgery 3/4/1997 Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap Dx 6/25/2014, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 11/19/2014 Lymph node removal: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/17/2015 Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)