Join Us

We are 216,686 members in 84 forums discussing 160,147 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Water Filtration (whole house, not just to drink)

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living —

A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Mar 1, 2015 07:56PM

SugarCakes wrote:

Wasn't sure where to post this. I just had one company come out and test my water, primarily for hardness because of staining on my shower doors. I am on well water for the first time ever. I did not tell the rep that I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer but low and behold, my mind is racing about a lot more than hard water stains now. I moved into my house in December and my skin has been much drier than normal. Now, chemo is compounding that problem and it seems the hard water isn't helping. Now I am googling various systems and have run across one that actually talks about women with breast cancer having 50 to 60% higher levels of chlorination by-products in their fat tissues than women without breast cancer. That company sells shower filtration systems as well as whole house systems. I'm not even sure of my question here. Just curious about what others of you think, have learned, have done, etc... I am now in the market for a whole house water filtration system. So many out there and they are not cheap. When I was young, there were at least three women on one neighborhood street that died of breast cancer while their kids were still very young. I can remember adults talking about "there must be something in the water on that street."

46 years old Dx 1/20/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 2/1/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/1/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 7/6/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/9/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 10/5/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 2/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 1/30/2018 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Mar 4, 2015 09:31AM Trvler wrote:

I am sure my opinion is not going to be popular but you asked. I think there are 3 million women in this country with BC and companies are not above cashing in on their fears. I am not saying what you are reading is not accurate but I would say that I would do a lot more research. There are so many 'causes' for BC out there. Those water filtration systems are expensive.

I am a skeptic by nature when it comes to people and them selling you things you might not or don't need. I have a friend who buys everything people try to sell her. She takes every pill that is supposed to be a cure for every ill, gloms on to every weight loss fad there is. She even bought this expensive thing where they come to her house and 'service' her heaters for a big annual fee. She finally realized she was being scammed on that one. She also spent a fortune on carpet cleaning through one of those coupon deals that are big scams. Ironically, however, she still Keratin straightens her hair which is a known carcinogen. Go figure.

Allison Dx 1/16/2015, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/26/2015, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/23/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 8/31/2015 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 10/14/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2016

Mar 4, 2015 07:21PM SugarCakes wrote:

Hi Trvler!  Oh, I do not think my cancer or anyone's cancer has been solely caused by the water.  I got in the market because of the serious hard water stains on my nice glass shower windows and doors in a very short amount of time.  I did not run across the literature talking about water and breast cancer until I was in the market and doing the research.  If fact, I have been very careful NOT to mention my cancer or appear sick or tired while the salesmen and technicians have been here to test my water and give their sales presentation.  I'm not trying to give them more sales material to use!  Yes, they are expensive and yes, I have been sold.  I am use to city water (which isn't great), but to be on well water for less than 3 months and already notice a difference in several things (appliances, shower glass, hair (while I had it), skin, etc...)  And, EVERY neighbor (also on private wells) have some sort of filtration system, as it turns out.  I tacked on a water purification system.  Hell, why not considering what I was spending on the whole house system.  Funny, after I told the salesman I was going with his whole house softener system AND the purification system, he said he was glad as he felt the purification system was most important.  He still doesn't know about my breast cancer.  Given this purchase, Bottle Water will be BANNED From my house!  LOL

46 years old Dx 1/20/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 2/1/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/1/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 7/6/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/9/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 10/5/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 2/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 1/30/2018 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement

Mar 4, 2015 07:36PM Trvler wrote:

Please report back on how you like it. I would love to hear.

Ahhh…I see you are doing something similar to me. No surgery yet. What surgery are you ultimately going to have?

Allison Dx 1/16/2015, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/26/2015, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/23/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 8/31/2015 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 10/14/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2016

Mar 4, 2015 07:43PM SugarCakes wrote:

surgery? I have NO idea! This has all happened so fast. My BS clearly favored mastectomy, which I didn't totally understand. I mean, wouldn't she wait to see how I respond to the neoadjunct chemo, first? It has occurred to me that maybe she was preparing me for what some may think is the worst outcome? I read the boards here about LX vs. MX, but there seems to be SO many factors to consider. I am no where near making a decision! I have an uncle that is a BS in IL. He is on the side of believing there are too many MXs done unnecessarily. If it is not an easy decision for me to make when the time comes, I think that's when I will exercise my second opinion(s).

Mar 4, 2015 07:50PM Trvler wrote:

By the way, have you ever been told you resemble Phylicia Rashad?

Mar 4, 2015 08:01PM SugarCakes wrote:

OMG!  Since wearing the scarves, my chiropractor said that!  At first he said "I had the Robin Roberts thing going on"   Then he said I looked like Phylicia Rashad.  I'll take it.  I'm flattered :)

Apr 18, 2015 12:47AM SugarCakes wrote:

glad I got the whole house water softener. I've noticed a difference in my skin, my shower glass, the dishwasher, and cleaning in general. I also got water purification for drinking water. It was pricey though. I've banned bottled water from the house :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)