Topic: A place to share our "healthier"

Forum: Recipe Swap for Healthy Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Aug 4, 2017 01:58AM

Posted on: Aug 4, 2017 01:58AM

dimaria wrote:

This is a yummy and healthy recipe.

4 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup green onions
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 - 6 slices bacon, crumbled
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix sour cream and mayonnaise (I use light) and sugar in large bowl. Mix broccoli (I cut the florets into smaller pieces), raisins and onions - toss with sour cream mixture. Refrigerate overnight. Top with bacon (or bacon bits) before serving.

Page 2 of 2 (17 results)

Mar 10, 2018 01:39AM Momine wrote:

My new favorite salad came from a Persian cookbook:

Seeds of one pomegranate

1 English cucumber, seeds removed and diced small

1 small red onion (or half of a medium one) diced small

Small handful of mint leaves, chopped

1 tablespoon nigella seeds (also sometimes sold as black sesame seeds)

Dressing of 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses (optional)

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/19/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/12/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/8/2012 Surgery 3/7/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 3/31/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 10, 2018 02:02AM TabzIsMyAngel wrote:

Toasted Israeli Couscous

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons lemon-flavored olive oil, plus more as needed
  • 2 cups Israeli couscous *
  • 1/4 cup shelled unsalted roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped **
  • 2 1/4 cups hot water
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 6 dried Turkish apricots, chopped
  • 2 scallions, sliced

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the couscous and pistachios and cook, stirring, until toasted and light golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add the water, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.

Remove the lid, stir in the apricots and scallions, taste, and adjust the seasoning. Transfer the couscous to a serving bowl and serve warm with a little more lemon oil drizzled over the top, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

*(I use tri-color pearl couscous - naturally colored with spinach powder, tomato powder & annatto; makes a really pretty dish)

**(If nut allergies are an issue, pine nuts can be substituted)

Dx 7/27/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, Surgery 9/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/25/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 1/25/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 4/23/2018 3DCRT: Breast

Mar 22, 2018 03:26PM michaelam18 wrote:

Thanks for all of the recipes :) I go nuts trying to find healthy recipes online with all of the info out there. I finally found a site that gives me a few choice recipes and I just rotate them all week. the site is called www dot alifecontinued dot com and there's a healthy resources section...

I also have this smoothie every morning to get my greens every day:

-2 cups spinach

-1 cucumber

-1 cup blueberries

-1 small apple or pear

-2 teaspoons chia or flax

-dash of cinnamon

blend and have for breakfast :)

Best, Michaela

Mar 26, 2018 09:34AM Violetlady wrote:

I made some searches but couldn't find an answer but apologize if this has been asked before. Made smoothies quite a few years ago but never made any ahead of time. Do any of you know if you can make smoothies the night before then place in the refrigerator until the following day or maybe even two days later. Will they lose any nutrients by doing it that way. Thank you in advance.

Smile

Sep 2, 2018 03:37PM KAM5166 wrote:

Hello,

For those who just do not have time in the week for food prep....

Chop the following on Sunday evening: use a knife, not food processor (because it makes it into a slaw with high moisture content)

red pepper, green pepper, red onion, de-seeded cucumber, yellow pepper (all from Costco). Put in glass container with a tight lid. Store in the fridge for the week.

For a quick meal:

chop a fresh tomato and chop cooked chicken- toss with a larger portion of the above mixture. Serve over small mini-naan bread from Aldi's. Add feta cheese and chopped walnuts and a greek olive, or two.

Drizzle with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh garilc, salt, pepper (and honey if you prefer).

Voila! Wonderful way to enhance your vegetable intake while putting a spin on a mediterranean method of food prep. I started this in May and have continued weekly with fall fast approaching. It has been my go to on my busy work days. I have also witnessed my two sons and husband consume it without a complaint. Bon Appetite!

Sep 2, 2018 03:42PM KAM5166 wrote:

Yes, Violetlady, they will lose nutrients, change in consistency and maybe less appealing. You could just portion the ingredients the night prior and make in a hurry. the next time. Anytime a food is chopped, cooked, exposed to O2 it looses some of it's nutrients. Freezing the mixture maybe an option, however. Freezing actually prevents nutrient loss in appropriate fruits and vegetables. You could make then freeze and re-pulse in the food processor/blender...perhaps worth a try. Happy experimenting.

Nov 4, 2018 04:08PM 32b wrote:

I think there's no getting away from making smoothies same day, but here's my go-to quick and easy one:

1 individual serving container of Greek yogurt

About the same volume of frozen blueberries

A little bit of 100% orange juice to keep things fluid and make sure it blends well/the gears don't get stuck.

Dx 1/12/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/8/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 2 of 2 (17 results)

Scroll to top button