We are 214,157 members in 82 forums discussing 152,651 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Soy for Estrogen+ people...the eternal question

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Jun 3, 2018 05:33PM

PatsyKB wrote:

As you can see in my diagnosis info, I'm ER+/PR-/HER2-. I've used soy milk (about a cup a day) for decades and, as I eat a primarily plant-based diet (for the past year and a half), I eat a little tofu once or twice a week. That's it fo my soy consumption.

Now that I have breast cancer - as of April - I have to question the wisdom of consuming dietary soy. I have had one introductory meeting with my MO (I see him again later this week) and when I asked him about soy, he said that because I consume it in moderation (I do), it is not an issue.

Of course, with time to sit around and stew and wonder during this interval between radiation and MO, I have to worry about SOMETHING, so today it's soy.

Is there a consensus on the advisability of moderate to light consumption of dietary soy for post-menopausal early stage ER+ cancer patients? Or not? If it's iffy, do I flip a coin? No, I"d probably bug my MO for a concrete answer. Right now I'm leaning towards giving up the soy milk and tofu (but my inner voice is whining "but I LIKE it").

Any thoughts?

“Ring the bells (ring the bells) that still can ring Forget your perfect offering There is a crack in everything (there is a crack in everything) That's how the light gets in.” -Leonard Cohen Dx 4/10/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/7/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/23/2018 Multi-catheter: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/12/2018 Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jun 3, 2018 05:36PM Meow13 wrote:

I wouldn't give it up, you like it. I am very frustrated in not knowing what is causing us cancer and feel like we are never going to know, too many variables.

Jun 3, 2018 06:31PM MelissaDallas wrote:

The Vanderbilt study indicates it is good for you:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/news/releases.php?rel...

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jun 3, 2018 07:13PM Meg101 wrote:

My MO told me not to consume any soy during treatment, but she said pure soy is OK in moderation after treatment. She said TOFU is an excellent source of protein and other nutrients. Hope this helps. Meg

Dx 7/14/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 9/18/2017 AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 3, 2018 07:49PM moth wrote:

"Soy products have not been found to increase breast cancer recurrence41 and may actually reduce it.44,45"

from a lit review published in Canadian Medical Association Journal 2017

Lifestyle modifications for patients with breast cancer to improve prognosis and optimize overall health

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/cmaj/189/7/E268.full.pd...

Dx at 50; Left, IDC, 1.7 cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, very weakly ER+, being treated as TNBC Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Jun 4, 2018 12:38PM PatsyKB wrote:

The more I read, the more I learn, the more confused I get. Yikes!

“Ring the bells (ring the bells) that still can ring Forget your perfect offering There is a crack in everything (there is a crack in everything) That's how the light gets in.” -Leonard Cohen Dx 4/10/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/7/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/23/2018 Multi-catheter: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/12/2018 Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Nov 13, 2018 10:11PM Lefty55 wrote:

My naturopath also confirmed that pure soy (tofu, edamame) was ok to include in my diet. She is more concerned about all of the synthetic estrogens we are bombarded with via plastics, skin care products, bad dairy, etc. Now I just need someone to help me turn tofu into grass-fed bison rib eye so I can enjoy it more!

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)