We are 213,240 members in 82 forums discussing 152,212 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Nutritarian Diet and Women's Health Study

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Sep 14, 2018 07:59AM

sillyoldrabbit wrote:

I haven't found any references to this dietary approach on the forum, so thought it might be worth posting about it. The diet is another plant-based, whole foods approach that emphasizes produce over every other food group. It was developed by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I've decided to go with it myself. Since I was already vegan, it hasn't been too difficult so far. I feel like it's the best tool I've got (besides exercise) to fight against a recurrence.

Of particular interest, however, is a study being done of the diet by Northern Arizona University. , I've joined the study to contribute my bit to science. They're still currently looking for more participants. Here's a description from their home page:

"The Nutritarian Women's Health Study (NWHS) is a long term interventional / observational study on the effect of the Nutritarian diet on overall health plus the occurrence, recurrence, and progression of chronic diseases (including all forms of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke)."

You can learn more about the study here: Nutritarian Womens Health Study

Dx 2/28/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2018 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 14, 2018 12:17PM ksusan wrote:

There's a plant-based diet thread that may be useful. I did nutritarian last summer, but it kicked my fasting blood sugars way up so I had to stop.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 14, 2018 01:51PM sillyoldrabbit wrote:

That's interesting, ksusan. Do you have any idea why that happened? It's supposed to be low glycemic.

Dx 2/28/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2018 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Sep 15, 2018 01:27AM ksusan wrote:

Even low-glycemic vegetables kick up your blood sugar. And beans aren't especially low glycemic. The strict nutritrian protocol has no added oil, and oil slows the body's metabolism of carbohydrates. On a nutritarian diet I was running 160 even 4 hours after a small meal. That's higher than I'd ever run before, so I tried adding oil. It helped, but I was still running too high.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 15, 2018 05:49AM sillyoldrabbit wrote:

Thanks, ksusan. I'll have to keep an eye on that metric. Glucose spikes certainly need to be avoided.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)