We are 222,761 members in 81 forums discussing 156,893 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anybody radically change their diet after breast cancer?

Forum: Healthy Recipes for Everyday Living — A place to share our "healthier" recipes and food tips for everyday life.

Posted on: Jan 27, 2019 01:26PM

mnsotamom74 wrote:

I’ve always followed a low fat diet that includes fish, chicken and occasional red meat. After having a diagnosis of breast cancer I’ve started reading a lot about foods to avoid if ER+ PR+ and I’m wondering if anyone changed their diet and eliminated a lot of food that is considered bad for this type of cancer? I’m currently going through chemo and my oncologist doesn’t want me to make any huge changes until I’m done, he said to eat what sounds good right now because a lot just isn’t sounding good. I’m just trying to gather information for the future and would appreciate any stories and favorite links to what others have tried. I know nothing is guaranteed but to have a feeling of at least being pro active about my health. Also, has anybody switched things such as cleaning products and soap and shampoo? I’ve really started to think about what products I use and put on my body. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts

Dx 10/25/2018, DCIS/IDC/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 11/5/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/7/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 2 of 2 (44 results)

Posts 31 - 44 (44 total)

Jun 14, 2019 02:24PM ruthbru wrote:

Hi Minnesota neighbor! Happy

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 14, 2019 02:34PM - edited Jun 14, 2019 10:27PM by mnsotamom74

responded to your pm :-)

Dx 10/25/2018, DCIS/IDC/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 11/5/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/7/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 14, 2019 04:27PM - edited Jun 14, 2019 10:16PM by ruthbru

We are practically neighbors. I am sending you a PM (private message).

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 27, 2019 10:31PM Wench5312 wrote:

Oh yea. I have been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Fortunally, I found it early.

I have been gluten free for some time now so getting rid of sugar was an easy request. My only love was potatoes and yams. My oncologist said no more foods that convert to sugar so they are out.

My breakfast omelet has more veggies in now and I just ordered a slow cold pressed masticating juicer. I am not a greens fan but will buy kale, collard greens, and spinach for my juice. My niece uses Figs to sweeten her juice and smoothies. Great idea. NO MORE SUGAR FOR ME

Jul 28, 2019 01:00AM DorothyB wrote:

I want to change my diet. I am a bit overwhelmed with figuring out all of the changes, but am at least ready to start doing some baby steps.

I'm still figuring out my goals.

1) IF - I was doing intermittent fasting 17 / 7 pre-diagnosis. I want to get back to at least 16 / 8

2) cut out Dr Pepper again

3) at least 10 cups of water per day

4) 3 servings of veggies per day - right now I am closer to 2

5) 2 servings of fruits per day

6) at least 30 grams of protein from non-meat sources each day - haven't figured out how to do this yet

7) wild caught salmon or black cod at least once a week

8) limit or cut out sugary treats, snacks, etc

9) exercise at least 30 min at least 5x per week (cardiac)

10) start doing strength type exercises

11) eat more "whole" foods and less "refined" foods - still figuring this out

Diag. 4/19/2019 ER+ PR+ HER2 neg Lumpectomy 5/29/2019 IDC w/ DICS 2.0 cm Grade 3

Jul 28, 2019 05:47AM Moderators wrote:

Great tips from some, as well as goals. Keep it up! Hug

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jul 28, 2019 06:35AM Kanga_Roo wrote:

Dorothy, good for you for making some changes. Little things can make a big difference, particularly drinking plenty of water.

I made a radical change to my diet at the beginning of this year and started a thread called “Keto” if you are interested, pop over and have a look.

My advice is don’t try to do too much at once.. achievable goals is the way to go, and try reading nutritional panels on foods - you will be surprised how much toxic rubbish processed foods contain

All the best

Jackie.

Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 2/11/2018 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/15/2018 Kisqali

Jul 28, 2019 02:15PM MountainMia wrote:

My weight is healthy and stable. My diet, pre-diagnosis, was pretty good and I was getting 3-6 hours a week of exercise, including cardio, strength, and balance. Right now I'm still in treatment and am not very concerned about my diet. I'd love to get back to working out but right now don't have the stamina to do much more than stroll in the neighborhood and do my floor-based abs/core work.

When I get back to eating and exercising more normally, my intention is to shift more toward low glycemic load diet. I'd like to manage my blood sugar and inflammation better. This isn't so much a concern about recurrence (though I am very concerned!) but a hope for better overall health. If I have no recurrence, I want to live a very healthy comfortable life for a very long time.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain. 2/2019 diagnosis; 4/2019 left lumpectomy, 1.5cm IDC, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-/HER2-; 5/2019 chemo ACx4; 8/2019 radiation

Aug 2, 2019 02:30PM TwoHobbies wrote:

Kanga brings up a good point, take steps even if you are not perfect. It really does get easier. I think it’s helpful to have a mindset that “I am a healthy eater” rather than “I am on a diet”. I never give myself permission for a full blow out day, but I do indulge. If I have pizza, I try to get a salad with it instead of eating half a pizza. If I go out for Mexican food, I splurge on the chips and guacamole but avoid the beans and rice, and eat healthy the rest of the day. Ride your bike around the block. Walk down the street. Next time go three houses farther.

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 22, 2019 02:58AM Reader425 wrote:

These are good ideas. For the sugar issue I started by stopping putting sugar in my coffee. I thought it would be hard and it was, but only briefly. I had stopped snacking on sweet things at night as my seond big change but I'm unfortunately back to bad habits there (and my weight shows it).

Any suggestions for snacks to have at night? Cookies and such have not been the answer and I know i need something little after supper.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/28/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 22, 2019 03:03AM Peregrinelady wrote:

I eat plain almond yogurt with berries for an after dinner treat.
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/18/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 22, 2019 03:25AM santabarbarian wrote:

I do a sliced green apple and some almond butter to dip it in. Very satisfying. As you go off sugar, fruit tastes so much sweeter!

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/11/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 22, 2019 03:29AM santabarbarian wrote:

Also they have a kind of granola at Whole Foods in the bins.... Paleo Coconut Granola... all nuts and seeds and a bit of honey or agave as it is sweet.... but pretty low carb and instead of a whole bowl I will sprinkle some on cottage cheese and fruit and it has that "carb" feeling...

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/11/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 23, 2019 02:52AM Reader425 wrote:

Thank you for the good suggestions! My hub came home today from the Dr. With a sterner warning to clean up his diet (he's T2 diabetec). So now we both have more incentive.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/28/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 2 of 2 (44 results)