Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

slmdavidson wrote:

I've just had a recurrence after a bilat mastectomy 15 months ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this??  I thought I was done with breast cancer after removing both breasts!  I did not have rads, chemo or tamoxifen last time.  Just had my "lumpectomy" and 5 LN taken out this week, and still waiting on the pathology report.  Looks like probably radiation this time and tamoxifen but not sure yet about chemo.  Will know more at my follow up appt this week.  I guess it was good I found it early - it was right there under the skin.  Seems like I read 1% recurrence rate after mastectomy but that seems high to me since I haven't read much about it.  Anyone else have this?  Thanks, Laura

Page 114 of 114 (1,138 results)

Apr 26, 2021 02:59PM salamandra wrote:

I'm so sorry Nonni2015. I agree, that is objectively too much :(

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Apr 26, 2021 03:17PM moth wrote:

Nonni, sorry that you're back. It is disappointing indeed. Just FYI, inflammatory breast cancer is always IIIB minimum. Finding it earlier would not have changed that staging because that's how IBC is staged as a minimum. It is difficult to see on mammogram - it's a very tricky disease.

Keep us updated on your tests and results and what your treatment plan is. Hang in there.

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/8/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/2/2021 External Local Metastases 3/2/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other

Apr 27, 2021 08:39AM - edited Apr 27, 2021 08:41AM by BlueGirlRedState

Nonni - sorry you are going through this. And yes, it is scary and maddening. I am going through my 3rd BC (twice left, and now right, even though I had a bi-lateral after the 2nd left). DR thinks I have a mutation that has not been documented yet. Sometimes, most of the time, I think there is too much confidence that standard treatment works, even though with ER+ there is a lot if documentation about cancers mutating and developing resistence to hormonal treatment. So much work is needed for both early detection, knowing which treatments are most likely to work (and if they are working) for each person, and the damn SEs of treatments. Sometimes I just want to scream when I hear a DR say "5 year survival rate" - just WTF does that mean.

Apr 27, 2021 09:26AM Nonni2015 wrote:

Thank you Salamandra, Moth and BlueGirlRed - it really sucks. I'm usually a very upbeat, positive and outgoing person but lately I've been very moody, short tempered and have pulled inside myself. I keep thinking of the chemo days and trip upon trip to the hospital for one reason or another since I had a very hard time tolerating it. I keep thinking on the first go round, on January 6, 2019 I ran 4 miles, had long blonde hair, looked fit and robust, I had just turned 65 but looked maybe 40...health and fitness was my life, owning and operating a private personal training business for 15 years....then on January 7, 2019, the very next day I became a cancer patient since that was the day I heard the results of my biopsy and MRI. Life was never the same after that. The first road was very tough but this second kick to the face seems much more sinister. I now have medium long gray hair, am thinner than I was in the past, I don't run anymore and I don't lift weights like I used to. I don't socialize (mainly due to COVID but have pulled in quite a bit even if there wasn't anything such as COVID)...my eyes which were always so full of life are now sad and scared and angry and overwhelmed. I have three granddaughters I really want to see grow up; they're 5, 9 months and 6 months...can I simply see them get through elementary school??!! Of course high school would be nice and college would be better but I'll take elementary school. My husband passed away in 2003 and I have two grown adult children, a daughter and a son...I am their only parent and even though they're both married and on their own and they don't need me like they used to, I am an integral part of their lives and I'd like to continue that. Am I whining? Probably...should I stop whining? I think so...It's really not me, I'm not really showing you the best version of myself. So, I think I will make an antioxidant smoothie with Black Raspberry Powder and go for a nice long walk. Tomorrow is my appointment with my oncologist...I will know exactly what I'm dealing with and need to be in a good frame of mind. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!! Apologies for the rant. Cancer tends to throw our lives in so many directions all at once ...

Apr 27, 2021 11:11AM Nonni2015 wrote:

I hear you loud and clear! I am so sorry to hear you are facing this a 3rd time...that is just not right. How is one suppose to cope? Life is challenging enough all on its own without having to deal with a 3rd bout of breast cancer; we do what it asked, we have surgery, we have chemo, we have radiation, we eat a plant based and healthy diet, we exercise, we all try our very best. Very very maddening!! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Apr 27, 2021 01:22PM salamandra wrote:

"my eyes which were always so full of life are now sad and scared and angry and overwhelmed."

It was very vivid and moving how you wrote this and also I wanted to affirm for you, as I'm sure you already now, that sometimes life gives us what to be sad and scared and angry and overwhelmed by, and it is OK to feel that way. I'll go further and say I think they are still full of life, just a darker side of life, but still *life*.

Heart

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Apr 27, 2021 03:32PM Nonni2015 wrote:

Salamandra -

Thank you for your response; you're very kind. I know the darker side of life very well. I've not had an easy or smooth road since birth, seriously. I would like the opportunity to "live with ease" for awhile. I'm aware of and appreciate the gifts in all the many challenges through the years. I do believe there is a golden nugget in every experience...sometimes, we really have to dig for them, but they're there if we are willing to see them. Then there is the other side of the coin, I'm still scratching my head why life is such an uneven playing field...I guess I naively believe in fairness for all. I'm reminded of a Hoʻoponopono (Hawaiian) Blessing:

May you be Happy,

May you be Healthy

May you be Safe

May you Live With Ease

That lightens my spirit every time I read it. I don't know if I have it to get on this second journey. The first one almost broke me but it didn't...I eventually triumphedHappybut this new situation and it's presentation after only 18 months being cancer free has thrown me into another realm.

May we all be Happy, May we all be Healthy, May we all be Safe, May we all Live With Ease Smile

May 4, 2021 05:56PM Elbritton wrote:

Mama, you deserve better. I’m 34 with BC and I’m already exhausted - I cannot imagine having had to deal with it for almost 3 years. You are STRONG just like my mother was with her BC

Page 114 of 114 (1,138 results)

Scroll to top button