Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

slmdavidson wrote:

I've just had a recurrence after a bilat mastectomy 15 months ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this??  I thought I was done with breast cancer after removing both breasts!  I did not have rads, chemo or tamoxifen last time.  Just had my "lumpectomy" and 5 LN taken out this week, and still waiting on the pathology report.  Looks like probably radiation this time and tamoxifen but not sure yet about chemo.  Will know more at my follow up appt this week.  I guess it was good I found it early - it was right there under the skin.  Seems like I read 1% recurrence rate after mastectomy but that seems high to me since I haven't read much about it.  Anyone else have this?  Thanks, Laura

Page 13 of 114 (1,138 results)

May 1, 2010 02:03PM kittycat wrote:

Yes indeed - it's true you can have a recurrrence after a bmx.  I just found this out yesterday!  SUCKS!

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

May 1, 2010 02:55PM MRDRN wrote:

Hi everyone,

I too want to thank everyone for their posts.  This same question came up in my recon class one week after dx when I met a lady there who had to have her implants removed and they mentioned the 1-3% recurrance rate after mx.   I wonder if finding a dedicated breast surgeon makes a difference?  I guess the important thing is be your own best advocate and catching things early is key, if it is the first time or the second.   I still know that having a 60-80% chance of recurrance is better than the small 1-3 and when I asked my BS she said, "even the best of us cannot help sometimes if some microscopic cells remain"...."annotomically they do work to the best of their ability"....I am so sorry to hear of your recurrances, but hopefully you are getting the treatment again that is needed to beat it.   Thanks again for sharing.

TAH March, 2010, SNB,BiMx with Immediate DIEP recon June 8,2010 BRCA 1 +, Stage 1 BC

May 1, 2010 02:59PM kittycat wrote:

Thanks MRDRN.  Yeah, I cannot believe this.  My cancer has to be pretty aggressive.  Scary!

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

May 1, 2010 07:52PM hollyann wrote:

Sorry to hear of your recurrence, kittycat....This sucks....You beat it once, you can beat it again.......

Hugs and Love....Lucy Dx 1-15-07 IDC stage 1b grade 1, 1.6 cm.....Also DCIS grade 3, both in left breast Dx 1/15/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 2, 2010 11:27AM kbram wrote:

Kittycat, My heart just aches for you.......I am so sorry that you have to fight this beast again.  It is just so not, not, not, fair.  I'm sure you feel like all the wind has been sucked out of you, but please know that all of us at BCO are keeping you in our prayers and hoping only the best for you.  Stay strong!

Hugs, Kathy

Dx 10/18/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 2, 2010 03:11PM balsie wrote:

kittycat so sorry to hear this!  I will get my results back on Wed.  I hope it is nothing.. I will keep you in my paryers!

Warmly,

Balsie

Dx 4/15/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 2, 2010 06:21PM Kristian wrote:

Hey Kitycat,

I was really bummed out when I did not know what I was dealing with.  The idea of a recurrence really scared me, but I did get my bone scan results back and a CT scan and the tumour (4-5 cm) is growing in my muscle and chest wall.  It is not in my lymph nodes and there is nothing showing that it has gone elsewhere, it is the best recurrence I could have had-local.  My first cancer was very aggresive, but I feel like I can really beat this now.  I was also told it is not common ( I am not sure possible) to get a recurrence from a recurrence.  So now I just have to go through some pretty aggressive chemo to shrink the tumour, my chemo started on Friday, 4 cycles, then surgery to remove the tumour then radiation, but they cannot do radiation until my expanders are out. So, I feel a lot better about everything, even though I have to go through this crap all over again.  My daughter needs her mommy.  It is her 3rd birthday on Tuesday when I learn how to give myself nupogen shots, not exactly the way I wanted to remember her birthday, but I'm going to fight this all the way! 

You'll get through this too.  In a year or so we will both be moving forward and this will be behind us once and for all!

Take care of yourself.

Kristian :)

IDC Dec 2008, lumpectomy, chemo (FECT), bilateral mastectomy -lat flap reconstruction/tissue expanders Sept 2009, recurrent metaplastic breast cancer April 2010, chemo (cisplatin/gemcitabin), surgery Sept 2010, radiationx28 Dec 2010 Dx 10/6/2011, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 2, 2010 11:58PM kittycat wrote:

Kristian  - thanks for the words of encouragement.  What are nupogen shots???  I really hope and pray that you will knock this crappy cancer thing once and for all!  I'm glad it isnt in your lymphnodes!!!

Balsie - I will keep you in my prayers that you get good news this week!

kbram and hollyann - thank you for the kind words, as well!  :)

May 5, 2010 02:04PM 1WonderWoman wrote:

Kittycat- 

So sorry to hear about your recurrence.   I think fighting cancer is the equivalent of being on "Deal or No Deal" and stating you have a low number in your case!  You can hope and pray but you just don't know.   There is no way of knowing.  The only thing we can control is our response to this because we have no control over it. 

More to this point, Melissa Etheridge was on Ellen today and she was saying how cancer was a wake-up call to her to live a life that was more in balance.   What is that supposed to mean?   Those of us that get bc are living out of balance?  Like in some way the Gods are castigating us for living out of this so-called balance?  I really resented the remark.  This board is littered with women living good, healthy lives and in walks bc.  She even went as far to say something like 'don't wait for cancer to start living in balance.'  WTF?  Like in some perverse way we have been living a life of BC courtship inadvertently?   Was Sandra Day O'Connor living out of balance or Janet Reno or the thousands of others with bc?  What is this ethereal balance being spoken of anyway?   Recently diagnosed and nervous makes me so not in the mood for these comments.

Kitty....I hope things get better.   Look at it like you are being required to purge your body of every last cell.   God help us!

Liz

Abraham Lincoln: It is not the years in your life that count---it's the life in your years>>>> Recon trilogy!: BMX w/imm recon 6/10=TE infected (failed); MF graft attempt 10/11=L necrotic (failed): 7/12 DIEP FLAP **VERY successful**

May 5, 2010 03:26PM kittycat wrote:

Liz -  interesting about Melissa Etheridge.  Maybe she didn't feel like she was living a balanced life and needed to appreciate every moment.  I feel like that sometimes.  I live a healthy life, but I sometimes spend too much time stressing about work and stuff I shouldn't worry about so much.  I just turned on the Ellen show (I'm on Pacific time), but I think I missed Melissa. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I am fighting to get rid of this beast!!

Page 13 of 114 (1,138 results)

Scroll to top button