Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

slmdavidson wrote:

I've just had a recurrence after a bilat mastectomy 15 months ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this??  I thought I was done with breast cancer after removing both breasts!  I did not have rads, chemo or tamoxifen last time.  Just had my "lumpectomy" and 5 LN taken out this week, and still waiting on the pathology report.  Looks like probably radiation this time and tamoxifen but not sure yet about chemo.  Will know more at my follow up appt this week.  I guess it was good I found it early - it was right there under the skin.  Seems like I read 1% recurrence rate after mastectomy but that seems high to me since I haven't read much about it.  Anyone else have this?  Thanks, Laura

Page 15 of 114 (1,138 results)

May 13, 2010 06:55PM Pamelajo wrote:

I had a local recurrence after bi-lat mast.  My cancer also mutated from er+ to triple neg.  Weird.  So, I'm back on the treatment plan.......and yea Kristi, my hair was just growing in good too.  I finished chemo last time Oct. 09.  Found the new lump in Feb 10.  Aggressive lil bugger......but I got it small and the PET scan came back clean.  4 a/c treatments, 12 taxol, and a month of rads, then I'm done.

As far as TE's, my PS said they weren't tearing down my reconstruction to take care of this.  My onc agreed.  I still get fills through chemo, and my radiation onc says it won't be a problem.  She just wants all the fills done before we begin radiation.

Good luck ladies.  BC is a beast...  be diligent, be daring, and be bigger than life.

Bi lateral mastectomy 7/29/09 BC is a secondary cancer from earlier Hodgkins lymphoma treatment. Began chemo 9/09/09. Recurrence of mutated BC TN 3/2010 in right breast. Back on the treatment plan. Dx 3/16/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 13, 2010 07:32PM kittycat wrote:

Pamela - your dx was the day before mine.  If my former BS got off her rear end and called me the day my results came in, my dx would have been the same day as yours.  I still consider mine to be 6/17 because that was the moment I heard the words, "you have cancer."  Ughhh...  I'm tired of the repeat performance, though!!!!!  12 rounds of Taxol!!!!  Wow!  That's crazy!!!

Kristian - they think it's a local recurrence.  They didn't find anything in the nodes and my margins this time were clear.  I'm supposed to be getting a PETscan, but my onco is once again MIA.  I have a 2nd opinion from another onco here locally on the 20th and another appt with an onco at Sloan Kettering in NYC on the 27th. 

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

May 13, 2010 07:50PM kellyj wrote:

Kristian- my recurrence treatment has been 4 a/c and 4 taxol, 5 weeks of radiation, ovary removal and a new antiestrogen drug. I was on tamoxifen when it came back.  I have never had tumor markers taken.  My onc believes that they are unreliable enough not to go that route. I did have a clean pet scan, with some uptake in the right side axillary lymph nodes. They all (surgeon, onc, and radiologist) believe it was due to the lumpectomy surgery a couple of days before.  My tumor did maintain the same characteristics.ER+ PR+ and her 2 neg.  I am still stunned that my cancer returned, as I am sure you all are!!!

Dx 10/22/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 14, 2010 10:16AM modernmade wrote:

I just read Laura's post, and hope she is OK. I have a similar situation developing:

I am 2.5 years out from my BLMX, just finished the last of my reconstruction final touches yesterday (fat grafting to my nipple). I woke at 4 am - flat on my back, and I felt a lump at the center of my breast bone. Early this morning I called my breast surgeon and can see her Monday. I called my Onc, and left a message. Ugh! I'm terrified! I just allowed myself to move on - threw out all my cancer magazines and medical journals last week.

Am I over-reacting? Is this crazy-cancer-anxiety? 

Dx 1/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 14, 2010 04:32PM mykidsmom wrote:

Oh modernmade - I am so sorry. I pray that you are truly over-reacting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomy w/ Tissue Expanders - 12/08 Exchange 04/09 Dx 8/25/2008, LCIS, Stage 0

May 14, 2010 05:33PM modernmade wrote:

Thanks. My onc's triage nurse called me at dinner. She's faxing my most recent blood work to the Breast Surgeon for my appointment Monday morning. Seems 10 minutes out of every hour I freak-out. The rest of the time - I'm fine - figuring out what I'll plant in my garden, what I'll make for dinner, etc. 

Last year my onc told me that a cancer diagnosis is just like a terrorist attack - you never know. You try to go about your business, but that fear is right under the surface. How true.

I appreciate a place where I can put this down in writing - I wouldn't dream of worrying my family unnecessarily.

Dx 1/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 14, 2010 05:56PM kittycat wrote:

Terrorist attack for sure!!!!  Cancer is a terrorist!!!

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

May 17, 2010 05:16AM Pamelajo wrote:

We cannot continually live in fear.  I cast it aside.  It sneaks up.  I cast it aside again.  We are all born to die, some of us earlier than others, but there are no guarantee's.  All we can do is live the healthiest life we can and try to help ourselves beat the beast down.  But, today, on my way to Indy to get my boobs filled, I could be killed in a firey car crash.  The odds of that are greater than me dying from this cancer, sooooooo.....  why should I let cancer scare me?  I may get struck by lightening as I'm crossing the lot to the other building at work holding my big umbrella with the pointy metal thing.  I could die of a huge case of food poisoning, or a stroke, or CHEMO!!!  LOL

Cancer is only 1 way to die out of thousands.  Everyone everywhere breathing air at this moment are dying. 

All that said, I know there better be something good waiting for me on the other side for having endured all this. LOL  I want my Heavenly home built out of dark chocolate and sexy swedish massuese on stand-by. 

Bi lateral mastectomy 7/29/09 BC is a secondary cancer from earlier Hodgkins lymphoma treatment. Began chemo 9/09/09. Recurrence of mutated BC TN 3/2010 in right breast. Back on the treatment plan. Dx 3/16/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 21, 2010 05:16PM my2boys wrote:

I had a local recurrence after bilat mast.  The cancer grew back in the little bit of fatty tissue left behind.  I guess where there is a will, there is a way, right?  Back in chemo and trying to stay strong. 

Regarding the Melissa Ethridge statements.  I remember back in 2008 when I was first diagnosed and she was on some talk show saying how her cancer was a blessing and then she went on to describe how chemotherapy was like "poisoning".  I was about to begin chemo treatments and I was absolutely terrified!  That woman should think before she opens her mouth! 

May 21, 2010 06:56PM Pamelajo wrote:

You hang in there my2boys!  Had my second A/C tx today.  2 more of those and 12 taxol then rads, and I'M DONE!!!  woo hoo.  Recurrence sucks, no doubt, but we caught it.  We caught it........it didn't catch us.  Stay strong Lady!  We'll row this boat we are in to shore eventually :)

Page 15 of 114 (1,138 results)

Scroll to top button