Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

slmdavidson wrote:

I've just had a recurrence after a bilat mastectomy 15 months ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this??  I thought I was done with breast cancer after removing both breasts!  I did not have rads, chemo or tamoxifen last time.  Just had my "lumpectomy" and 5 LN taken out this week, and still waiting on the pathology report.  Looks like probably radiation this time and tamoxifen but not sure yet about chemo.  Will know more at my follow up appt this week.  I guess it was good I found it early - it was right there under the skin.  Seems like I read 1% recurrence rate after mastectomy but that seems high to me since I haven't read much about it.  Anyone else have this?  Thanks, Laura

Page 16 of 114 (1,138 results)

May 21, 2010 07:41PM ctinas wrote:

Laura,

I'm so sorry it dosn't seem fair. LN were involved with my diagnosis so radiation was a must. I also had 6 chemo treatments and a year of herceptin. But my Dr. insited on a pET scan after my BMX which found another lymph node in my collar bone. Have you had a PET scan.

I wish you all the luck and my prayers are with you.

Tina

May 22, 2010 01:46PM my2boys wrote:

Thanks Pamelajo,

It looks like we are on the same regimen.  I had my 3rd A/C last week and I have one left.  Then 12 Taxol and then rads. 

LOVE the line...We caught it....it didn't catch us!  Thanks.

May 22, 2010 02:17PM cookiegal wrote:

This is off topic at this point but earlier in the thread you mentioned PEM's.

I am all about the PEM. My MRI picked up a ghost second tumor that was not there, the PEM counter indicated it. I wonder if I might have been scheduled for a mast, if I had not had the PEM.

My oncologist is not as enthusiastic, he considers them experimential, but I would rather have an accurate experiment, than a wrong standard treatment.

You deserve a cookie!

Jul 9, 2010 03:23AM tobyj wrote:

Diagnosed at 40yr.  2mm LCIS ER+ Sept 2008.  Bilateral Mast March 2009.  Recon. 7th surgery Feb 2010.  New small lump(s) in same area as 'C' lump.  Concerned. Worst ultrasound in my history today - tech quickly dismissed as "benign" (not a doctor), yet kept quickly finding more 'cysts' on both breasts.  Did not focus on area of concern enough.  I thought I saw same shadow/smudge not defined area as 2008.  Same feeling that I had when "cyst" turned out to be cancer - 1 of the 5% at 40yr old.  How do I make sure with real testing?  MRI?  Mammo?  PEM?  Please advise as I have same feeling I had when they thought original was just a "cyst" 

Jul 9, 2010 04:02AM Roberta2 wrote:

OK i have to chime in...

I had stage 0 dcis grade 3, no lymphnodes and no microinvasion in 2003 7 years ago. had three lumpectomies to obtan clear margins.  The DCIS was strictly contained in the milk ducts but after the three surgieries no clear margins.  Had to do right mastectomy but i chose to do double.

April 20107 years later-- found lump inside right side breast. Doc said probably scar tissue because chance of recurrence with early stage cancer and mastectomy was definietly less than 1%. The lump was attached to the skin and chest muscle.  Doc wanted to see what type of cancer and try to do chemo to shrink first.  First test, fine needle aspiration for the fluid only, showed yes cancer.  Second test, core  needle biopsy for 5 tissue sample showed benign (this is the more reliable of the two test).  This completely thru my surgeron off.  He spoke with tumor board and everyone agreed they were baffled and he should do the surgery and take the lump out.

Yes it was cancer again DCIS with 1.8 CM of IDC with lymphatic invasion but no lymphnodes involved.  Sent to cancer doc, she said I definietly was not textbook case.  She ordered the oncotype test and came back at 33 with a 22% chance of recurrence.  This puts me in the low end of the high risk.  Started first T&C chemo yesterday.

In my poor head, all I thought great I made it past the 5 year mark which in therory you should be further aware from the chances of this comong back but apparently not.

AND they are unable to tell me that this is definietly a recurrance because I have an invasive component this time so it could be a new breast cancer in the same breast.  But none of the doctors can say either way with any confidence.

Dx 11/2002, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 4/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 6/2013, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy Gemzar (gemcitabine), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jul 9, 2010 04:03AM - edited Jul 9, 2010 04:05AM by Roberta2

This Post was deleted by Roberta2.
Dx 11/2002, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 4/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 6/2013, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy Gemzar (gemcitabine), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jul 10, 2010 02:21PM kittycat wrote:

Roberta, sounds like you went through the same thing as me.  I was also re-diagnosed in April 2010, only 8 months after having a bmx.  I also had DCIS the 1st time and IDC with lymphatic invasion the 2nd time.  So, I'm doing AC/T. Just finished 2 out of 8 rounds so far. 

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

Jul 13, 2010 06:51PM Ladyredlocks wrote:

Well I'm here with you too.  Had my bi lateral Oct 08/reconstructed April 09.  Like Roberta2 I had 0 stage DCIS, stage 3, no nodes or invasions.  Been getting back to my life working hard to get back strength and range of motion - gardening/yoga/cycling/babysitting Grandbabies full time.  This morning I found a lump on the seam line on the left.  It is about the size of a mustard seed - or the little round glass head of a sewing pin.    

I am terrified!!!

I thought I was done with this.  I was getting back to my life.  I have finally stopped talking about cancer.  God I hate this disease!!!

Dx 9/16/2008, DCIS, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 13, 2010 09:22PM balsie wrote:

Ladyredlocks~  I just went through this...same size as yours, went in and they did an ultra sound and took it out right away that same day.  It ended up to be scar tissue...don't worry ( I know easier said than done) until you go in and actually find out it is something.  I do know how you feel but make and appt. and have it looked at. I wish you all the best.  Update us...

thinking positive thoughts for you

Balsie 

Dx 4/15/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2010 06:05PM MaryMomOF3Boys wrote:

First of all, I am so sorry that you had to deal with breast cancer a 2nd time....let alone the first time.  Secondly, I am new to this forum so i apologize if i am not "posting" my topic in the right spot.  I didnt know how to start a new topic.  I see that you posted this is January, so i am hoping for the best for you now and hope all is going well.Next, i have a question and dont even know if anyone will see this....i am hoping to hear from somone. 

I was dx with Triple Neg. Breast cancer in feb 2009, started chemo in march, and finished chemo in sept. 2009.  I jsut had my 3rd "3 month" check up, and have a lump under my arm.  I need to meet with surgeon on monday to discuss options for biopsy (most likely a surgical biopsy to remove it)  The doctor said it could be scar tissue from surgeries....couldnt tell from ultra sound.  Has this happend with anyone out there....whether it was benign or malignant....i would love to here from you...just feeling alone and "we gals": must stick together !  hee hee!  Thanks ahead of time for your response.Mary in Montana  mom of 3 boys.............................

Page 16 of 114 (1,138 results)

Scroll to top button