Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 02:17PM

slmdavidson wrote:

I've just had a recurrence after a bilat mastectomy 15 months ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this??  I thought I was done with breast cancer after removing both breasts!  I did not have rads, chemo or tamoxifen last time.  Just had my "lumpectomy" and 5 LN taken out this week, and still waiting on the pathology report.  Looks like probably radiation this time and tamoxifen but not sure yet about chemo.  Will know more at my follow up appt this week.  I guess it was good I found it early - it was right there under the skin.  Seems like I read 1% recurrence rate after mastectomy but that seems high to me since I haven't read much about it.  Anyone else have this?  Thanks, Laura

Page 17 of 114 (1,138 results)

Jul 25, 2010 12:03PM kittycat wrote:

Good luck ladyredlocks and mary.  I hope both of you get benign results!  (((hugs)))

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

Jul 26, 2010 01:48PM Shirlann wrote:

Hi sisters, this problem is very rare, which is small comfort, but the truth is you cannot remove ALL the breast tissue, it is under the arm, partly up the shoulder, and while a double mast is a good thing for women who need this, it does not completely remove the risk of another cancer or a recurrence.  It can happen in the scar, the chest wall, etc.

You have my deepest heartfelt sympathy, this dang beast!  But if this is just a recurrence, get the "just", you are in no more danger than you were the first time, you just get to do the whole rigamarole over again.

Gentle hugs, Shirlann

Aug 7, 2010 07:28AM jblcsw10 wrote:

I appreciate this thread. I am researching in an effort to make the best decision about my tx. I had DCIS in 2001, lumpectomy & rad, told 1% chance of cancer coming back. This year, 9 years later, it came back, in the same area, IDC this time. 6 weeks out now from BMX and trying to figure out next steps. First oncologist I saw said no chemo, maybe tam/AI. I am waiting results of the oncotype dx test and will then get a 2nd opinion. Like many of you, 1% doesn't mean anything to me. The first oncologist I saw apparently hadn't even reviewed my records because he was unaware that I had DCIS 9 years ago!!! Can you imagine. We really have to do our research, and make decisions for ourselves, and listen to our "gut". Thank you all for sharing in this thread - it helps me make my decisions.

Jane - BMX w/TE 6/28/10 Dx 5/17/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 9, 2010 04:00PM kmccraw423 wrote:

My heartfelt sympathies to those of you who have had to deal with breast cancer more than once.  You have, however, scared the bejesus out of me.  When my DCIS, Stage 0 was diagnosed I elected double mx because I did not want to worry about breast cancer again - oops!  Now I am thinking of getting a scan - my mx was in December 2008.  BTW, under careful scrutiny by the pathologist, there was DCIS in the "good" breast.

Jane ... it would be so nice to turn this whole thing over a someone whose job it is like with a medical degree but you are so right when you say if you want it done you will have to do it yourself.  Lord, have mercy on all of us.

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 11, 2010 01:44PM - edited Aug 11, 2010 01:46PM by hd1017

Hi, all,

I posted over in the recurrence threads but have been told by my onc my new dx is not a recurrence but a new primary. IDC. Have a sentinel node biopsy/ re-excision to get clear margins scheduled for Aug. 24th. No treatment plan yet. Will be hanging out on these boards while I wait! 

I was originally dx in 2008 with DCIS and IDC. Had bimx, then implant exchange. Was Her2+ so have been taking tamoxifen for two years.  

Best wishes to everyone here, those undergoing treatment, and those giving support. You are all amazing!

Helen 

Dx 8/4/2010, IDC, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 11, 2010 08:16PM kellyj wrote:

Hi Helen,

That is interesting that your tumor is considered a new primary and not a recurrence. Got me thinking, how do they decide this?  Is it in the opposite breast?  When my second tumor was sent to the pathologist my onc said that it can also change characteristics.  Just curious what your onc thought.

Thanks, Kelly

Dx 10/22/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2010 06:06AM hd1017 wrote:

Kelly, 

Yes. You are correct. Last time the IDC was in the left breast. Only DCIS in the right. This new lump was in what little soft tissue remains of the right breast. It was removed on the 29th of July, but they still haven't gotten the complete report, so don't know receptor status yet. He seemed to think I'll be receptor negative because the tamox didn't prevent this cancer from growing.

Anyone know the efficacy rate of tamox?

Thanks,

Helen 

Dx 8/4/2010, IDC, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 12, 2010 09:39AM kittycat wrote:

My 2nd diagnosis was also called a new primary and not a recurrence (1st time I had DCIS with widely negative margins).  The new cancer was in a similar area to where my old cancer was found.  Still called a new primary. 

2 time survivor of triple negative BC, postiive for BRCA1 gene mutation! 9 surgeries, 5 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. Dx 6/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/16/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2010

Aug 12, 2010 11:49AM - edited Aug 12, 2010 02:37PM by Leah_S

Helen, I don't have the statistical rates for efficacy of tamox, but no drug is 100%. I was on tamox and developed bone mets.

Best of luck.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 13, 2010 08:46AM LilyLou wrote:

Have not had a return of BC but am looking ahead and trying to be thorough to prevent a return.  Had bilateral mastectomy on 4/14/10 after Chemo and am still continuing Herceptin through year end.  I have been told to be sure to request a body scan when I am finished.  Am curious to know about Scans after the completion of Chemo & Herceptin.  Are there different type of scans?  Anyone?   

LilyLou in Central Indiana .. TCHx4 + H1yr - 1/18 to 3/23/10 - Bmx 4/14/10 w/Single Stage Implants .. "When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile." ..unknown Dx 11/23/2009, DCIS, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 2/30 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 17 of 114 (1,138 results)

Scroll to top button