We are 191,921 members in 81 forums discussing 142,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Second or Third Breast Cancer → Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Topic: Recurrence after bilat mastectomy?

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jan 17, 2009 05:17PM

slmdavidson wrote:

I've just had a recurrence after a bilat mastectomy 15 months ago.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this??  I thought I was done with breast cancer after removing both breasts!  I did not have rads, chemo or tamoxifen last time.  Just had my "lumpectomy" and 5 LN taken out this week, and still waiting on the pathology report.  Looks like probably radiation this time and tamoxifen but not sure yet about chemo.  Will know more at my follow up appt this week.  I guess it was good I found it early - it was right there under the skin.  Seems like I read 1% recurrence rate after mastectomy but that seems high to me since I haven't read much about it.  Anyone else have this?  Thanks, Laura

Page 32 of 32 (949 results)

Posts 931 - 949 (949 total)

Jun 12, 2017 12:59PM MinusTwo wrote:

Simplicity - so sorry to hear that you're facing more biopsies. If you have someone to drive you, I'd probably opt for getting them both done at once. But you are right - don't let her push you. Hoping for B-9 Please do keep us in the loop.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 13, 2017 09:04AM Simplicity wrote:

Thanks MinusTwo. Not sure 🤔 Cutting there is wise. My radiated DIEP side. Skin is sooo thin there as is. Have to wait see what us shows. Really a complicated decision, as they always are...

Dx 3/31/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/21/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/4/2015 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 10/13/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 12/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 5/20/2016 Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jun 28, 2017 04:57PM SharonS wrote:

Glad to hear Jennyjdance good news.

I had my last cancer (3) in 2015. At that time I had a small raised area on the lateral side of my only remaining implant. They didn't think it was anything. Removed it and it was cancer. So when they went back in to get margins I had them take out implant also. No boobs is better than one boob. I had radiation after the surgery.

Since then I have been followed every 3 months by oncologist. She does blood work every 3 months and scans every 6 months. I am an athlete but have been having some strage SOB. They did a cardiology work up b/c I had adriamycin with my 2nd cancer. I scored A+ on echo and treadmill, but still SOB. Then I started getting a weird left ear pain.

Today we did usual chest, abdomen pelvis CT and also a brain scan. Will meet with oncology on Monday for results. A little worried b/c I just have not felt like myself for a while and the ear pain episodes also include me turning white as a sheet. If nothing not sure I will as accepting of the new normal. Running and exercise give me my sanity. I also teach Beat Cancer Boot Camp a couple times a week for all survivors. Being SOB really interferes with my life.

Hopefully nothing, but it helps to type it out

Dx 1/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/3/2008 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 2/25/2008 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/20/2008 Breast Dx 10/12/2012, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/20/2012 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/27/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/8/2013 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/1/2014 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/25/2014 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jun 30, 2017 06:27PM SharonS wrote:

Scans were AOK, but then I had the terrible ear, throat pain again last night. Husband witnessed and wanted to take me to ER. I just waited it out...

Dx 1/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/3/2008 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 2/25/2008 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/20/2008 Breast Dx 10/12/2012, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/20/2012 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/27/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/8/2013 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/1/2014 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/25/2014 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jul 1, 2017 05:12PM Kimstone wrote:

hi everyone I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the left breast 8 years ago. It was small and triple negative with a 97% growth rate. I had a lumpectomy one treatment of chemotherapy and radiation. 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed again with a lump that biopsied positive for triple-negative cancer again. I am now recovering from a bilateral mastectomy done last week. I am not a candidate for radiation nor am I a candidate for chemotherapy. I have been told by my Dr that it was found very small nothing in the lymph nodes and no treatment other than the mastectomy. I understand you were scared sometimes I think it's scarier the second time then it is the first. But I have been told I will probably not see this again and I have to move forward believing in that. I wish you all the best in your chemo treatment and your journey ahead.

Jul 1, 2017 06:04PM kira1234 wrote:

Kimstone you and I are in very similar situations. I'm not triple negative but it's my second diagnosis and I'm not elegable for radiation and oncologist isn't suggesting chemo. I'm looking at diet and exercise to help

Dx 6/2010, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/8/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 2/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 2, 2017 04:21PM slmdavidson wrote:

SharonS,

How are you???

Jul 9, 2017 01:54AM RazzMATazz wrote:

I was just diagnosed at end of April with DCIS stage 0. I underwent double MX May 2. At post surgical appointment I was told I had made the right decision because the cancer was extensive. Surgeon said she had to consult with pathologist because it appeared the cancer might be invasive. She would let me know by the end of the week. I was told on Friday, the end of the week, that they had decided that the whole team would review my case on Tuesday. I was finally able to see my surgeon again on the Thursday after the review. I went from DCIS stage 0 grade 3 to IDC 1A grade 3. My second surgery was May 10. The surgeon reopened the previous incision and removed more tissue. On the next post-op visit she declared me cancer free with clear margins. This is the part where they lost me. How do they know I am cancer free? I am ER+ PR+ and am taking Anastrozole. No rads or chemo necessary, they tell me. They have already been wrong twice in my short journey. How do I trust them? So many here started very like myself and have had recurrence(which looks a lot more like missed) cancer is relatively short time. Most of the posts I have read had much more aggressive treatment then I have too. I am not begging for awful treatments but I do want to do all I can to try to assure longevity. In other words...I want to live. I have made an appointment with the PA from my MO's office to discuss geonomic testing and all these concerns. I really am worried about the caviler approach. I am seriously considering second opinion. I had carcinoma of the cervix when I was young also. All thoughts and suggestions so very very gratefully accepted!

DX 4/2017 DCIS Stage0 Grade 3

5/2/17 double MX expanders L and R. Lymph nodes x2 right side, clear. Post op appt. invasive carcinoma margins not clear.

5/9/17 DX IDC 1A Grade 3

5/14/17 return to surgery for additional surgery to obtain clear margins.

5/21/17 second post-op Margins clear, declared cancer free by surgeon.

One visit so far to MO.Started on anastrozole. Told no radiation or chemo needed.

Jul 9, 2017 02:41AM - edited Jul 9, 2017 02:41AM by Artista928

Stage I is always imo a very hard stage because most of the time, rads/chemo are optional if it's even offered at all. To do or not to do. And if you do, doesn't mean it won't come back or mets later on. If you haven't already, check out stage I forum to see what folks there are doing. But in the end, we all are making the best decision we can with our MOs. No point in second guessing because there is no guarantee whatever you do. Chemo and rads don't come without risks, se's (sometimes can be long lasting or permanent) and still it may not work for you. Each one of us has had to carefully consider it all and make the decision we feel most comfortable with without looking back. GL

Dx'd at 50. Doing it all, all by myself. Stopped Letrozole after 5 weeks. Debilitating se's. Back on Tamox now. Dx 6/2/2015, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (DUAL) Surgery 8/6/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 11/3/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy 5/2/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/28/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 12/9/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/26/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 9, 2017 07:55AM kira1234 wrote:

Razz the radiation treatments are many times not needed when a masectomy is chosen.

I had the oncotype test done to decide if I needed chemo. I was in the gray area which is why I had chemo. If you are concerned I would request that the oncologist do that test or the mammaprint test.

Dx 6/2010, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/8/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 2/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 9, 2017 08:12AM KathyL624 wrote:

You need to do oncotype, unless your tumor was too small. I felt the same as you... would have done anything necessary. My oncotype report showed that the risks associated with chemo were greater than the benefits

Dx IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 9, 2017 10:43AM KBeee wrote:

I would for sure get a second opinion. If you have an IDC component, they need to do oncotype testing. It will most likely say that chemo is unlikely, but there are times that it comes back higher than anticipated indicating that chemo is warranted. Call you MO this week to ask for the test and if he/she refuses then ask for a second opinion. It is sad to have to assert yourselves, but sometimes you have to. When I had my recurrence, Mayo assured me that chemo was unnecessary. My gut said this tumor was more aggressive than they were giving it credit. I had a local MO start following me and asked for Oncotype which came back at 40! Very high! Even the "best" can misjudge patients' tumors sometimes.

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/25/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/19/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/11/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/22/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/28/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/24/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 3/30/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/24/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jul 9, 2017 12:14PM slmdavidson wrote:

RazzMATazz,

I agree with the comments above. You should see about getting Oncotype or Mammoprint done so you can evaluate the risk / benefit for chemo or targeted therapy. My PERSONAL opinion is: if they don't get clear margins the first time AND if you have multi-focal disease you definitely should do radiation. I would also ask about gene testing to see what,if any genetic mutations you have that would put you at higher risk for recurrence. This would be more than just BRCA 1/2. Do you know your Ki67?

Definitely get a second opinion. I don't know your age, but the younger you are, the more aggressive you should be. Recurrences and mets are coming later and later research is finding. Give yourself all of the opportunity to live a long healthy life following this diagnosis.

Laura

Jul 9, 2017 12:29PM MinusTwo wrote:

I agree about oncotype. Also with an invasive component, I would request testing for HER2.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 19, 2017 02:25AM Gingernurse wrote:

my ki67 was 25%, is that bad? I'm so afraid of being too sick to work and I'm a month behind on my mortgage.

Dx 7/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 8/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/2/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 19, 2017 11:21AM MinusTwo wrote:

Dona - are you looking at a recurrence? When was your first breast cancer?

Jul 19, 2017 12:21PM - edited Jul 19, 2017 12:23PM by Legomaster225

Razz, I am in a similar situation as far as radiation goes. I did not have a recurrence after BMX as both my cancer were recently discovered so don't quite fit in this thread though. They found cancer in my "good breast" at my BMX. RO said standard procedure if margins are clear and a mastectomy was done that no radiation is needed (or would be covered). I did have preadjuvent chemo already though because if my initial cancer. I will have radiation on that side even though the node that was positive last December was cancer free upon excision

Dx 12/3/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/19/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Dx 6/22/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Dx 6/22/2017, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1 Surgery 6/22/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Jul 19, 2017 05:22PM SharonS wrote:

slmdavidson - I have an appt with an ENT tomorrow about the ear pain. Still SOB with activity and they will follow up on that next.

Thanks

Jul 28, 2017 04:17AM RedIsTheBest wrote:

I have been told this week that I most likely have IBC. My grandfather and 2 great aunts died from this, so if course I'm scared. I'm scheduled with A radiologist tomorrow and a surgeon Monday.

My rash has almost went away after12 days but my skin feels and looks different. I'm having a very sharp pelvic pain that come and go tonight, I can't stay awake and my body aches like someone who has the flu.

Is this typical or related?

Page 32 of 32 (949 results)