We are 220,518 members in 81 forums discussing 155,810 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pet/ct scan

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Jun 1, 2019 01:31PM

Marine47 wrote:

Been newly diagnosed with breast cancer with lymph node involvement. This is my second breast cancer, had pet scan and one lymph node in the groin area lit up on the scan. Now i have to have a biopsy on it worried and don't understand this.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jun 1, 2019 02:34PM ElaineTherese wrote:

Hi!

I'm not sure what you don't understand. But, lots of things light up on PET scans that aren't cancer. No doubt, your oncologist wants to see whether or not that node is cancerous because it could mean that your cancer has traveled far away from the breast, thus suggesting distant metastasis.

I had my left femoral neck light up three times on a PET scan, but it couldn't be found via MRI, so it was never biopsied.

Good luck!

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 1, 2019 05:48PM - edited Jun 4, 2019 01:42PM by Marine47

What i can't understand is that nothing else lit up on the scan so why biopsy it. Im supposed to be starting treatment to shrink my breast cancer so even if the node is cancerous i would think my chemo treatment would go after those cells also. Im sick of waiting for my treatment to start and this is just one more delay. With the last breast cancer i never received a pet scan had surgery, chemo and radiation started the process in early April and finished end of October. This time was diagnosed in April now June 1st and still no plan. Have to wait till june 18 for my biopsy than probably another 2 weeks before i get to see the oncologist.

Jun 4, 2019 10:49PM KBeee wrote:

The wait must be frustrating. I would would be angry at the delays. Can they do the biopsy sooner? Perhaps ask if there's another surgeon who can do it sooner; doing so may make them all of a sudden find an opening for you. Perhaps message your MO and ask how these results will alter your treatment plan. Sorry you're dealing with the uncertainty and delays.

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/26/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/20/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/12/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/23/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/25/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/31/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/25/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jun 6, 2019 02:25PM Marine47 wrote:

saw my oncologist today she thought my biopsy was for an earlier time, as she put in her notes rush. Says she needs to know the while picture before treatments starts but she does see my frustration and the time of the biopsy is unacceptable so the office is calling different hospitals to get me scheduled earlier, so we will see. Also, after going bsck and forth we agreed that she would start me on hormone therapy right away until she gets the full picture as to what she is dealing with, so she is starting me on Femara, my pharmacy will have it in tomorrow. So at least this is a step in the right direction and hopfully the biopsy shows no cancer.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)