We are 197,863 members in 81 forums discussing 145,395 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Mod Announcements, Breastcancer.org News, Blog Entries, Podcasts → Topic: Chat Rooms at BCO.... need your feedback

Topic: Chat Rooms at BCO.... need your feedback

Forum: Mod Announcements, Breastcancer.org News, Blog Entries, Podcasts —

Moderator generated forum to present our announcements or requests, organization and website news, blog entries and podcasts. Please do not post here if you are not a Moderator. Thank you!

Posted on: Feb 21, 2013 09:11PM

Moderators wrote:

Hi All, 

We are considering upgrading (in a much needed way!) the chat rooms. But before we do that and spend the money, we wanted to know how many of you use them/value you them. Is it a good feature of our community? If we no longer had them, what would that mean to you? 
Open to your feedback!

Many thanks, 

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 5 of 5 (126 results)

Posts 121 - 126 (126 total)

Jan 12, 2014 05:38PM marlegal wrote:

The husband of one of our chatters' was able to create an entire website for us which includes discussion boards and chat rooms. Everyone is able to get in - whether from a PC or laptop or phone or iPad or Android tablet. It breaks my heart, and many others', that BCO was not able to revamp their chat rooms so that newly diagnosed woman will be able to reap the benefits that so many of us did when we were diagnosed. The cost to us for this new place to chat securely? -0-  The software was under $200 and our new hosts absorbed that cost. The word is spreading to the "old guard" and we're seeing more and more old friends coming back to chat who haven't been able to get into BCO's chat for a long time. As I said though, the sad part is that women who are newly diagnosed with not have that resource. I will continue to support BCO financially, but I have to say that I think you should take the chat away totally rather than keep advertising a resource which does not work for the vast majority of people who try to use it. In my opinion, the people in charge of maintenance and upgrade of that feature should be ashamed of themselves.

"We are all just walking each other home." Dx 8/24/2005, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Jan 12, 2014 07:11PM Moderators wrote:

marlegal, we're also disappointed that BCO hasn't been able to upgrade chat so it's available to everyone. It's true that a freestanding chat solution could be implemented easily, but when it needs to be part of the main site, the costs and technical challenges to mesh with registration and other BCO systems makes things much more difficult. 

We'll be sure your comments are presented to senior management, thank you.

• The Mods

Jan 13, 2014 01:58PM flash wrote:

When I first started on BCO, the chat room women and men seriously saved my life.  I have formed friendships and made good treatment decisions because of the help from the chatters.  In the past year and a half, I have not been able to get into chat and according to Apple computer's genius bar, the fault lies within BCO, not my computer or Java.  I was giving money to BCO but in all seriousness, I would have to reconsider if Chat were not available for women who were newly diagnosed.  The rest of BCO's mission can be replicated by visiting other websites and while this is convenient, the Chat was what differentiated it and brought it to a level above all the others.

multifocal multicentric IDC, DCIS, pagets et al. - er+,pr+ her2+++, mast,chemo, ooph, hyst Dx 10/10/2007, Paget's, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 13, 2014 11:45PM Moderators wrote:

flash, we're sorry that you haven't been able to use chat on BCO. We know that a bug in Oracle Java 7 disables the enter and return keys when using Mac OS X, and that started in October 2012. The version of chat software that we use hasn't been updated to work around the bug. Without being able to enter text, members using newer Mac computers haven't been able to chat.

Nov 26, 2017 09:23PM Prairietwin2 wrote:

I am new to this whole website but a chat room sounds great. Only someone who has gone through this really understands and you don't feel so alone.

Nov 26, 2017 09:45PM Jojo0529 wrote:

I never knew there were chat rooms

ONCO 17 ....ki-67 25% miotic 1. Dx 7/30/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 9/3/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 1/11/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement

Page 5 of 5 (126 results)