We are 194,688 members in 81 forums discussing 143,964 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Mod Announcements, Breastcancer.org News, Blog Entries, Podcasts → Topic: ​Podcast topics: We want to hear from you!

Topic: ​Podcast topics: We want to hear from you!

Forum: Mod Announcements, Breastcancer.org News, Blog Entries, Podcasts —

Moderator generated forum to present our announcements or requests, organization and website news, blog entries and podcasts. Please do not post here if you are not a Moderator. Thank you!

Posted on: Feb 23, 2017 11:29AM

Moderators wrote:

Dear Community members,

We're interested in learning what you'd like to hear about in our audio podcast program. Is there a medical expert you'd like to hear from? Would you like tips or advice on a difficult-to-manage side effect or emotional issue related to breast cancer? What expert interviews would you want to hear while you're driving, exercising, or doing chores around the house? Let us know below, or send us Mods a private message.

You can also check out our existing podcasts here:

http://www.breastcancer.org/community/podcasts

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (32 total)

Feb 23, 2017 02:00PM Michelle_in_cornland wrote:

Specific recommendations that have worked for side effects from hormonal therapy. How to deal with nausea, tiredness, etc.

Live free - Oncotype 14, Take things as they come and you can do it!!! Dx 8/8/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/29/2016 Radiation Therapy 10/6/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal

Feb 23, 2017 02:05PM Moderators wrote:

Thanks, Michelle_in_cornland!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Feb 23, 2017 03:16PM amarantha wrote:

I would specifically like to hear about any new and promising upcoming treatments for metastasic breast cancer. And particularly IBC that has returned. Thank you.

current treatment for metatastic recurrence of Inflammatory Breast Cancer : Decapeptyl injections to shut down ovaries, plus Afinitor/Aromasine Dx 11/11/2013, IBC, Left, 6cm+, Grade 3, 4/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/11/2013 CEF Chemotherapy 2/18/2014 Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 3/16/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/23/2014 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 5/19/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 6/5/2014 Dx 12/12/2016, IDC/IBC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/12/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy Afinitor (everolimus)

Feb 23, 2017 06:37PM - edited Feb 24, 2017 10:18AM by 123JustMe

This Post was deleted by 123JustMe.
Oncotype 15 Dx 6/2015, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Feb 23, 2017 07:18PM Jazzygirl wrote:

I think some segments on the types of exercises to help women coming in to recovery after treatment. There are some very specialized exercise programs these days like yoga for breast cancer patients (and fyi, I am planning to get certified to do this in the next few years!)

Dx 9/14/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/14/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2017 09:15PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I'd be interested in discussions of any new approaches to treating bc long-term (i.e., whether alternatives to AIs might be a possibility one day), prospects of any vaccines and perhaps an overview of where we've been and where we are in understanding, preventing and treating metastasis.

Whatever the topic, I hope that in most cases they'll be fairly specific and will avoid talking down to us; a lot of the info on survivorship, for example, is very general and, frankly, rather condescending. A lot of us with bc are quite well educated on these topics and are looking for something beyond what we can find on WebMD or the like.

Thanks for the opportunity to weigh in on this question!

Dx 2014, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 24, 2017 05:32AM cp418 wrote:

I'd like to discuss this recent news article. https://breastcancer-news.com/2017/02/22/breast-ca...

Women Getting Breast Cancer Radiation Therapy 10 Times More Likely to Develop Second Primary Lung Cancer

Feb 24, 2017 12:49PM Cristalle wrote:

Scar issue even after lumpectomy. Thought my cancer was coming back, still can't put any pressure on the underside of the affected breast six months after end of radiation.

GSM caused by sudden stoppage of HRT. Thought I was through menopause (56 at time of biopsy) but have whole new list of symptoms caused by cancer treatmentno one talks about. Incontinence, atrophy, insomnia, night sweats, body odor none of which were predicted by my oncologist.

Reliable tests using concentrated sage (A Vogel Menopause is what I use). Does not seem to be estrogenic.

Radiation side effects like chest wall and breast lymphedema (barely anyone knows how to treat). Only arm and wrist side effects were described.

Thanks!

You gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight--Bruce Cockburn Dx 5/6/2016, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 6/17/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/2/2016 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 24, 2017 08:14PM ChiSandy wrote:

I’d like to hear about the mechanism by which obesity affects estrogen production in postmenopausal (or older male) patients. I’d also like to hear more about exactly what aromatase inhibitors do—do they reduce the amount of aromatase that the liver produces? Or do they somehow “spoil” (inhibit or inactivate) or destroy the aromatase so that it can’t convert androgen to estrogen? And does ingestion of alcohol inhibit every liver function—not just “clearing estrogen from the body” but production of aromatase as well?

Please correct me if I’m wrong. The androgen that aromatase converts to estrogen is produced by the fat cells (as well as the adrenals). And it is a known fact that except by surgical (liposuction, excision/tummy tuck) or cryonic (Cool Sculpting) means, fat cells can only shrink/be emptied when one loses weight. They can only be decreased (non-surgically or cryonically) in size, not in number. Fat itself is merely a substance within those cells, which can only be burned or remain static—it’s the fat cells themselves that act as a kind of gland or organ to produce the androgen. But when women gain weight, we add weight two ways: either hypertrophic (increasing the size of fat cells by filling them up with stored fat) or (unlike men), hyperplastic (we actually can increase the number, not just the size of fat cells).

Given that, I’d welcome a discussion as to the science behind aromatase inhibitors, the process by which alcohol is supposed to increase ER+ recurrence; and the possibility of the aforementioned surgical/cryonic ways to reduce the number and not just the size of fat cells--especially given women's ability to actually create new fat cells (and the possibility that, due to reduced metabolism caused by estrogen deprivation, weight gain on AIs might be hyperplastic and not just hypertrophic in nature).

Are there studies other than epidemiological/anecdotal into the interactions between and role of alcohol, fat cells and aromatase—and if so, can they be explained in sophisticated lay terms. Are any doctors speculating on the use of liposuction, surgical excision and Cool Sculpting to modify body composition both to compensate for AI-impaired metabolic rates and inhibit production of androgen? And other than via the extra calories in it, where is the harm in a glass per day of wine (for those who do not have any chemical dependencies)?

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 27, 2017 05:23PM Hipline wrote:

I would love to hear more about Invasive Lobular and the nuances of it. I recently listed to a podcast from Dr Melinda Telli recapping San Antonio topics. She mentioned that there was a lot of dialogue around extended hormone therapy and she briefly mentioned that lobular may warrant extended therapy because of it's unique characteristics (high ER/PR+, low grade but high stage). I've been reading about other things that make lobular unique as well and would welcome a podcast focusing on it. I recommend Dr Steffi Oesterreich for the webinar. Thank you!

Pleomorphic ILC, Onco DX score 16 Dx 11/16/2010, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 1/31/2011 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/23/2014 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 27, 2017 07:11PM - edited Feb 27, 2017 07:11PM by Elem

This Post was deleted by Elem.
Dx 12/13/2016, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+ Dx 1/4/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 27, 2017 07:14PM Elem wrote:

current data re: recurrence rates . Who is susceptible and why . Does adjuvant therapy provide the same percentages of recurrences in people with small grade and stage tumors or does that matter?

Dx 12/13/2016, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+ Dx 1/4/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 2, 2017 05:48AM Shelly52 wrote:

Managing AI side effects - from prevention via consideration of fillers used my manufacturers to aches and pains, effect on bones, and hair loss (and everything in between). If we're to be on this med for 10 years, quality of life issues are very real. Holistic treatments are of great interest

Thanks for asking.

Shelly52 Dx 6/9/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/21/2015 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 9/9/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 2/20/2016 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal

Mar 2, 2017 03:37PM Megan2 wrote:

I would be interested in a podcast on postpartum breast cancer. There is a growing body of researcher on the elevated risk of metastasis with postpartum breast cancer and research on what might be behind it. I would like to hear more on the clinical implications are for postpartum breast cancer patients - what are the recommended treatment approaches? Dr V Borges and/or P. Schedin would be great to have interviewed on this.

Surgery 10/24/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 11/13/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2017 11:46AM Cubbie2015 wrote:

I would be interested in hearing about the psychological aspects, particularly how anxiety and depression after diagnosis are treated. It would be great if we could hear specific approaches to counseling patients. In my area our mental health providers don't have much experience in this area, and I think it would benefit patients who need to bring their provider a game plan to get started.

1.8mm micromet in sentinel node; BRCA negative; chose bmx due to family history; age 43 at diagnosis; Oncotype 15 Dx 9/4/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/8/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 12/16/2015 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/12/2016 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 6/29/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 3, 2017 07:32PM dAd wrote:

Hi Mods: I would really like to hear a discussion by a pathologist on pleomorphic ILC? Specifically, what constitutes pleomorphism and what current research tells us about how it impacts prognosis and treatment.

Many many thanks for all your work to make BCO such a valuable resource for us.

Ann

dAd

Mar 6, 2017 02:51PM mccathyg wrote:

I would like to hear the latest thinking on multiple recurrences. Treatment and support options. It is very hard to find any research in this area.

Thank you

Dx 8/2000, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+, HER2- Dx 8/2005, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+, HER2- Dx 12/2010, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Dx 11/2015, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/22/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Mastectomy: Left Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left Surgery

Mar 9, 2017 09:04AM PNWBCHgirl wrote:

more info on weight management , exercise, nutrition along with recipes for recovery after surgeries and treatments.

Dx 9/2014, DCIS, Right, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/2015, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Pedicled TRAM flap, Tissue expander placement Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Mar 9, 2017 10:32AM Hopeful82014 wrote:

Yes to the above request for more discussion of weight management, etc., but informed by insight into the effects of near-total estrogen depletion (for those of us who are ER+) on our bodies and how that affects metabolism, etc.

In fact, an in-depth discussion ofnthe long-term effects of bc treatments would be of interest to me.

I'd also like a discussion of survivorship issues/planning and how to discuss these eith providers, especially PCPs, who may be somewhat clueless.

Mar 12, 2017 10:12AM scally1 wrote:

Love to hear about mutations such as chek2 and recommendations around this.

Also, pregnancy after cancer treatment.

Thanks!

37 at dx. Stage 1.Triple postive. Chek2 mutation. Tumor 1.6cm plus micro tumors

Mar 14, 2017 12:02PM Runner81 wrote:

I agree with the above who suggested hormonal therapy, and the discussion needs to include the problem of vaginal atrophy and any treatments available to help (i.e. Mona Lisa Touch). There is very little information out there about the correlation of tamoxifen and vaginal atrophy, not even on this website.

Dx 7/21/2014, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 8/21/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 9/12/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/24/2014 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 11/24/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/24/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2015 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy

Mar 15, 2017 09:39AM bellcrawford wrote:

I'd be interested in a podcast about breast reconstruction, for example: reconstruction options; types of breast cancer and reconstruction options; timing of reconstruction and reconstruction options; physical conditions (weight, existing scar tissue) and reconstruction options. Thank you.

Mar 15, 2017 10:06PM LAstar wrote:

Summaries of recent research. It might be something that doctors could listen to as well!

Dx 3/5/2012, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 4/5/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 5/3/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 6/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): SGAP flap/hip flap; Reconstruction (right): SGAP flap/hip flap Surgery 10/4/2012 Reconstruction (left): SGAP flap/hip flap; Reconstruction (right): SGAP flap/hip flap Surgery 1/25/2015 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap

Mar 15, 2017 10:37PM Suburbs wrote:

I second the comprehensive comments of Chisandy above and add another topic : implants on top of pectoral muscles, not below, and why the technique is not morewidely practiced.

Dx 1/9/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 2/1/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/1/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 6/20/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 7/21/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Mar 17, 2017 09:32PM Lulu22 wrote:

I'd like to hear about immunotherapy and its promise in treating breast cancer.

Dx 9/7/2011, IDC, 5cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/8/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 1/17/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/17/2014, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Radiation Therapy Breast Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 29, 2017 09:30AM - edited Mar 29, 2017 09:31AM by have2laugh

I'd like to hear more about Oncotype with DCIS-should this done? Is this more predictive of reoccurrence than DCIS calculators? I attended a lecture on the latest in breast cancer treatment last night and speaker was very clear Oncotype for recurrence score for invasive breast cancer was very helpful in identifying women who would benefit from chemo but he mentioned the testing done for DCIS has been less successful predicting who would benefit from radiation, the local group of radiation oncologists seem to support this position but I've seen larger studies that seem to support using the Oncotype for women with DCIS. I'd like more info on that.

And the new staging that takes into account Oncotype score. The Dr mentioned that women who previously would be stage 3 based on tumor size, nodal involvement could potentially be deemed stage 2 when factoring in a low oncotype score. I'd love more information on this. Thank you

Dx 1/28/2014, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 3/5/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 3/12/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/9/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/5/2014

Mar 29, 2017 06:26PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I would love to hear a podcast on the topic of the imminent changes to the staging system.

Mar 31, 2017 03:52PM Tpralph wrote:

multifocal breast cancer

surgery and treatment for those with current breast implants

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/18/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 6/28/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Apr 1, 2017 12:23AM Apurwa wrote:

Dear Members,

I am a tiny particle in this messed up world, who is trying to eradicate anxiety and create health awareness. Breast Cancer is also apart of that. plz read my thought for those who is suffering and for those who is ignoring.

Breast Cancer is chronic disease. strong medical attention is require. But sometime your efforts also ease it to the greater extent. I am not against of medical supplements. For better result, try to use the herbs and food side by side. Do not replace home remedies with Medical treatments. In present time, most of the foods available are harmful. So you have to eat wisely and in self-control. Also you have to know the differences between good medicine and bad medicine.

The only person who can save you is you. You are stronger than you though you are. Everything is in your hand. Do not follow anything which promotes this type of chronic disease. Good luck. Quit alcohol and Think positive.

Apr 2, 2017 11:18PM ndgrrl wrote:

hi, I would like to hear the latest on Soy Protein and breast cancer reaccurance. There seems to be quite a bit of debate about soy and woman who have estrogen positive b/c. I have heard there are studies on this and wondering if results are back. There are many diets out there that are soy based and it appears many incologists differ on the use of soyby b/c survivors

Keep laughing though you feel like crying-- sometimes that just helps :) Diagnosed at age 44- first ever mammo. Oncho score of 18. Dx 7/19/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/19/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/9/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/27/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/19/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 3/3/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 1 of 2 (32 results)