We are 219,609 members in 81 forums discussing 155,380 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breast Cancer Myths

Forum: Mod Announcements, Breastcancer.org News, Blog Entries, Podcasts —

Moderator generated forum to present our announcements or requests, organization and website news, blog entries and podcasts. Please do not post here if you are not a Moderator. Thank you!

Posted on: May 6, 2019 04:39PM

Moderators wrote:

Hi All, We want to turn this slideshow into a better content piece (article). Breast Cancer Myths-Facts.

Would you share with us what you'd like to see addressed?

Thank you!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 2 of 2 (51 results)

Posts 31 - 51 (51 total)

May 10, 2019 10:58PM - edited May 10, 2019 11:03PM by Nas

feel it on the first campaign

My lump was 18 mm and no doctor including myself could feel it by hand examination, after having my sono and pet scan I went to my BS with all the images of where exactly my lump was located, he started to check my breast, after about 4 mins of checking he told me : it was supposed to be here but I can't feel anything

Dx 12/5/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 2/7/2018 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 11, 2019 09:02AM PurpleCat wrote:

Follow-up care depends on your particular situation. Not everyone needs an annual PET scan and regular blood tests for the rest of their life. Some of us just go back to regular annual mammograms. However, the amount of anxiety we may feel about that upcoming mammogram might match what we'd feel if our situations warranted more extensive screenings, so don't think that we're back to "normal" just because we're being screened like never-cancer women. In fact, we might be wishing we COULD get tested more often just for the reassurance.

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy

May 11, 2019 09:26AM LaughingGull wrote:

The hardest thing about cancer treatment is losing your hair. You will want to wear a wig.

Losing my hair was the only good thing about my cancer. I didn’t have to take care of my cut and my color and the conditioner and the keratin treatments. It was a huge relief and I discovered I didn’t want long hair anymore. I carried around my prescription for the wig and kept putting off getting the wig until I realized, halfway through, that I didn’t give a sh*t about it.

Now I wear my hear very short, get my haircut it at barber shops -and look better than ever.

ACx4, THPx4, Right MX+ALND, Radiation, Oophorectomy, Left MX (prophylactic), AI 10y (expected), H+P to complete 1y, Nlx 1y Dx 10/26/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

May 11, 2019 08:55PM buttonsmachine wrote:

This has been said, but I'd like to emphasize that the "young women don't get breast cancer" myth is especially pervasive and damaging.

Initial diagnosis at 32 years old. Chest wall resection 18 months later due to skin metastasis, probably from needle seeding during initial biopsy. Skin graft from right thigh! Dx 8/2016, IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/30/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/31/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/31/2017 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 4/30/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 9/2017, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/27/2017 AC Dx 1/2018, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/30/2018 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy Radiation Therapy 5/10/2018 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 7/1/2018 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2019 Aromasin (exemestane)

May 13, 2019 07:04AM Aden wrote:

I am 25 and have fiberadenoma. My question is, will consumption of whey protein increase the size of my lump. Also, my Testosterone is around 1.07, so is there any side effects of whey protein ( hard core gymer).

Kindly reply

May 13, 2019 11:49AM Moderators wrote:

Dear Aden,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are concerned that you may not get the answers that you are looking for in this thread. In that you do not ave breast cancer, we suggest that you review the topics in the Benign Breast Conditions Forum. You also may want to check out our BreastHealth.org site. Let us know if we can be of further help.

The Mods

May 19, 2019 07:58AM Texas357 wrote:

1. If your mammogram is clear, that means you don't have breast cancer.

2. There's only one kind of breast cancer.

3. Breast cancer always grows in lumps.

DX 9/08, ILC, Stage 3A, ER+/PR+, HER2-, 7/13 pos nodes. Mastectomy & six months chemo & 32 rads.Prophy mx 8/09 and they found DCIS and LCIS. Implant only on proph side; LD flap on rad side. 13 surgeries since diagnosis.

May 19, 2019 09:18AM Rosiesmum wrote:

that living a healthy lifestyle (exercise, clean eating, other good health) would be a vaccine against cancer.

May 19, 2019 10:39AM voraciousreader wrote:

devil’s advocate....

Who promulgates all of these myths?

And better yet....

How do we best abolish these myths?

I will start....

Get rid of October’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I am aware of breast cancer. I am aware of ALL of the myths. Now what? How do we get the population to understand that breast cancer myths are myths?

Get rid of the commercialization of breast cancer. Think Pink! Forget it! Think Teardrops instead! That should stop people in their tracks and start thinking.

Next? Get EVERY medical organization that studies the breast cancer studies on the same page! Every six months another group comes out with another statement on population based screening. Makes my head spin!

Educate our politicians. Tell them that the present screening stinks and we deserve better and ask them what they intend to do about it....

Anyone else with constructive ideas? I am game....

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

May 19, 2019 01:37PM edj3 wrote:

I think my friends' reactions to my BC line up with a lot of these myths.

I'm thin, physically fit and eat a clean diet. I've never smoked, I rarely drink, I had my children young and breast fed them each for about a year. There's no family history for breast cancer and nothing popped up on the genetic tests.

My mammogram this year showed . . . well nothing horrible but something caught the radiologist's eye and so I had the diagnostic mammogram. That showed nothing. The ultrasound showed something. Boom, here I am.

So you can do all the right things and still develop breast cancer, just as you can floss and brush your teeth twice daily and see the dentist twice a year and still end up with a cavity.

Dx 4/9/2019, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes

May 20, 2019 09:35PM Barrington wrote:

I hear you on that one.

Aug. 2017 had a diagnostic ultrasound from nipple to chest wall of both breast and was "fine".

Aug. 2018 had a 3D annual mammogram completed and "nothing was suspicious- follow up in a year"

6 months later I was diagnosed with DCIS, had a double mastectomy and officially diagnosed with Stage 1A breast cancer.

Had my children young, breast fed them both for a year, eat clean, keep a healthy weight, don't carry the breast cancer gene.

Yet here I am.

May 21, 2019 09:28PM Pommom1809 wrote:

Barrington, I also had my children young, breast fed all four of them. Also eat fairly healthy, do lot’s of walking & want overweight. No cancer history in my family either or gene fit it. My BS said I was in the 26% that fit that profile.

I sure was surprised with my diagnosis last September.

Bilateral Mastectomy was three weeks ago, all the cancer was removed.will be starting radiation soon

May 22, 2019 05:35PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

I have a problem with the "new normal" stuff. While it's true that breast cancer does affect your life, so do a lot of other things. I have also been through a divorce, the end of one career, the death of both parents, a cross-country move, the loss of two of my closest friends, and a recession. So another item to layer into my life experience.

I got stronger than ever cycling a couple of years after treatment and have gone on to do the best work of my career.

My biggest surprise was well-meaning friends who fed me bogus information immediately upon diagnosis: diet, no deodorant (phew), and to expect to take it easy. I wear the best and most flattering underwire bras that I can find. And for the record, one of my former male work colleagues didn't make it, so yes, male breast cancer is real.

I am extremely lucky. I have no idea what the future will bring, but I can say that I have had nearly 10 wonderful years since diagnosis. Decades ago, I never would have imagined myself spending a weekend cycling and vineyard camping. But that is exactly what I did last weekend.

I wish I could tell people to let go of the small things that grip their lives in fear (is the sugar in that extra cookie really going to contribute to your demise - really doubt it). If I did that, I wouldn't have done Sunday's ride where I saw bald eagles, glorious canyon scenery, lots of fellow cyclists and emerged fit and strong. I focus on these things though it's also possible that I could crash.

I think that what I am trying to say is that QOL is about a lot more than doing routine stuff. It's about feeding the imagination and spirit. And far too much of the "advice" is limiting in this regard. - Claire 

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

May 22, 2019 06:22PM edwards750 wrote:

Well done Claire.

Diane

May 22, 2019 07:04PM wrenn wrote:

I always assumed "new normal" meant both good and bad. You are doing many new things you never would have imagined yourself doing so that is basically a new normal. I believe the people who have used to term to me meant it mostly in a good way since hearing the word "cancer" usually makes those diagnosed ponder 'death' and our survival instinct kicks in.

I think depending on past experiences and treatments and current life situations some people have a harder time adapting but I am really happy to read that you have done so well and I agree attitude makes a difference but this disease taught me about how different the experience is for us all. I knew nothing about the disease before Dx.

Hoping for continued good new normal. :-)

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

May 23, 2019 10:53AM LisaK12 wrote:

Myth: Once you've had a double mastectomy you can't get breast cancer.

Myth: Wearing antiperspirant causes breast cancer.

Myth: If your mammogram, ultrasound, and MRI were all clear then you don't have breast cancer.

Myth: If you get breast cancer then you will have to have radiation and/or chemotherapy.

Dx 12/29/2017, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/9/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 4/10/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

May 23, 2019 11:39AM - edited May 23, 2019 01:39PM by Moderators

Wish too we had the like button for so many of these posts! Medicating

May 23, 2019 01:23PM wrenn wrote:

After two pages of well thought out responses one of us was an inspiration.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

May 23, 2019 01:35PM LoveFromPhilly wrote:

“I wish I could tell people to let go of the small things that grip their lives in fear (is the sugar in that extra cookie really going to contribute to your demise - really doubt it).“

THIS. 👆🏽👆🏽

💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏽‍♂️ 💫 🧚🏽‍♂️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ Dx 3/25/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

May 23, 2019 03:16PM - edited 15 hours ago by WC3

I think a lot of people think that in all instances of early to moderate stage breast cancer, you remove the lump and that is that.

But some people with early to moderate stage breast cancer have months of chemotherapy and targeted therapy, weeks of radiation, multiple surgeries, nerve damage, lymphedema and side effects from anti hormone therapy or oral chemotherapies.

Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

21 hours ago Pommom1809 wrote:

wc3 you really hit the nail on the head! You have described my situation to a T! I could have this neuropathy for one to two years according to my oncologist, plus I’m getting ready to do radiation then taking a hormone killer for five years.

My DIL is waiting for me to start babysitting her infant daughter. I would love to take care of her, but I am not able at this point. So much is expected of me, but I can’t do it all anymore.

Doris

Page 2 of 2 (51 results)