We are 156,667 members in 80 forums discussing 124,023 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Mastectomy -almost three weeks later

Topic: Mastectomy -almost three weeks later

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Oct 15, 2007 02:19PM, edited Oct 15, 2007 02:19PM by mikim

mikim wrote:

Hi All

Can anyone tell me how long pain lasts - I had SNB too and had 3 out of 8 nodes.

I have skin sensitive pain that comes and goes and feels bad with anything touching skin.
Underarm is swollen and so tender. Not a lot of arm movement still
Doc today to get exercises going.

Also just random shooting pains all over.
Took one vicadin again last night to sleep.
Trying to get off them.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks so much.

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Oct 15, 2007 04:42PM geebung wrote:

Mikim, pain seems to vary a great deal after mastectomy. I think it depends on the level of nerve damage during surgery. Someone wrote in a post on one of the threads that if the major nerve in the breast is cut, you have less pain. In the weeks and months after surgery, it's very common to get "bee-sting" shooting pains.

Another very common occurence after surgery to the breast is lymph buildup. This is sometimes referred to as a seroma. The lymph can cause significant swelling in the site of the wound and under the arm - it can feel like you have a pad under there. I had mine aspirated a couple of times after I had my drain removed and that gave instant relief. Lymphatic massage from a trained physiotherapist is excellent too.

Hope you are able to get some relief soon.

Gentle hugs

gb 

Dx 2/26/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Oct 15, 2007 09:43PM Kathy_K wrote:

I'm 4 weeks out, myself.  Sometimes it feels like I have a rash under my arm but I don't.  I had my drains until Friday so that was causing me the most problems.  My bra often feels too small under the arm - like the muscle is spasming under there or something.  It will get better over time and that swollen, numb feeling will get better.

When a woman tells the truth she is creating the possibility for more truth around her. Adrienne Rich

Oct 16, 2007 06:31AM jade wrote:

ok ladies lay it on me....what should I expect after my bilat mast????  Give me the good,bad, and the ugly!  5 (Monday) more days and the nerves are back:<}.  How long do the drains stay in?  When will I be able to shower? Shave?  I am going to my surg today to see just how much skin he is willing to save:<}!!!!  I plan on asking these questions and more.  I have them all written down with good intentions...but I become a stone when I am sitting there listening to my reality.   Its just CRAZY to me.  Thank goodness I am going away with my husband (to disney) where no one knows I am walking around with the c word:<}  No sad looks no questions, maybe I wont have to think.
PLEASE CALM me....maybe alittle
Jodi
Dx 9/4/2007, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 16, 2007 04:40PM LOURDES0929 wrote:

Hey my heart goes out to you. And so are my prayers. Well everyone is different. But I had a double simple mastectomy with recontruction. (no lymph nodes removed) I felt alot of numbness. Like a sunburn to your skin. I could not have certain fabrics against it. My underarms were in pain. The had the drainage tubes in for a week and a half, only because they were clogging up. You will feel a little relief when they come out. I showered that night the tubes came out. I also shaved with help from my fiance.

The skin being saved is up to your surgeon. It depends on how much skin is affected.

When you do go to your Doctors, always go with someone else. They will catch alot that you yourself will miss.

I hope I helped a little. I am 3 months out and I feel great. I am ready to go back to work. Good luck and God bless.

Oct 16, 2007 07:34PM jade wrote:

thank you sooooo much...you dd help alot

Oct 17, 2007 09:54AM lvtwoqlt wrote:

Jade,

I had my bilat June 1, with 4 drains. two of them removed 7 days after surgery, the other two removed 12 days after surgery. It depends on how much fluid is draining over a 24 hour period. I think my doctor looked for less than 40cc. The nurses will give you specific instructions on drain care, my doctor said to not empty them for 24 hours prior to my visits to get an accurate volume. He said I could bathe in a tub with water to my hips while I still had the drains in. after I got them out, I could shower. Each doctor is different regarding when to shower.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006 Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2006 Surgery 06/01/2007 Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my left breast, Mastectomy of my right breast Surgery 09/10/2006 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my right breast Surgery 02/12/2005 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast

Oct 17, 2007 04:02PM jade wrote:

I guess the drains is just something new to look foward to.  I plan on taking the longest shower I can on Monday....This is an interesting journey.

j