We are 155,712 members in 80 forums discussing 123,326 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: photo of drain tubes

Topic: photo of drain tubes

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Apr 28, 2008 10:42PM

rockwell_girl wrote:

I found this on line when I did a google search I think it may be helpful for people to see what they look like ahead of time.  It works out well if you can shirts that have pockets on the inside to hold them or could always add some if you'd want. 

Drains are soft rubber tubes that remove extra fluid from the operative site into a special suction reservoir. A soft rubber tube with holes sits inside the wound and connects by another soft tube to a reservoir. Fluid is removed by the suction of the reservoir bulb. Having a drain minimizes fluid collection that otherwise might need to be removed.

Jackson Pratt drain tube manages drainage in many operations but may not be needed in tumescent tummy tuck.

Drains come in different sizes, shapes, and have different names. This Jackson Pratt suction bulb removes extra fluid when compressed and the small drainage valve is closed. Extra fluid is removed through this port.

Each case must be individually evaluated during surgery.

Compression bulb with drain tube with drainage. Such drains may not be needed in tumescent tummy tuck. Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Apr 29, 2008 07:01PM MsSherry wrote:

I used a fanny pack to hold my tubes.  Worked well.  Also those foam bead filled neckroll shaped pillows kids like work great under the arms.  They form around the tubes and make it more comfy to rest your arms on.

Sherry Dx 4/25/2008, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 15, 2008 08:55AM sam408 wrote:

bumping for May surgery gals

Sheila . . .Never regret something that made you smile. Dx 2/16/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 15, 2008 09:03AM Dejaboo wrote:

Thanks for the Original post & bump

statistics are just a group of numbers looking for an argument Dx 3/7/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 15, 2008 03:26PM wahine wrote:

Good pics...bumped again!

May 16, 2008 08:42PM jacquibutterfly wrote:

Well my drain tubes did not look like this. I had my surgery 10 days ago and had drains for 7 days, and there were two little tubes poking out of me the same size as on your photo, and they were attached to bigger tubes twice the circumferece that reached the floor.I went home with them after 5 days in hospital after a masectomy with lymphs removed and they leaked quite a lot where that came out at the skin and I changed the dressings quite a lot. My drains were a lot more cumbersome than these and landed in two, litre size bottles with suctsion.I did not like seeing the congeled blood in the tubes for 10 days.

May 17, 2008 04:26PM Patti746 wrote:

My surgery was in December 2007. I had 2 tubes in and they went to my waist, but I had a long bra that had attachments on it. When they took the tubes out, it did not hurt at all. I was really surprised. My surgery area after the tubes were out filled with fluid and they had to remove the fluid by a needle, and then it was fine.

Dx 11/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, 1/20 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 22, 2008 05:07PM CAZ wrote:

Could someone twll me where, exactly the drains exit?  I'm having bilateral mastectomy w/ expanders and w/o lymph nodes.  I'm trying to plan clothing, and despite all the great info, I haven' been able to visualize where they exit and how long the tubing will be.  I understand surgeon variances. Thanks

May 22, 2008 05:25PM kimbly wrote:

I had surgery 4/30, my drains came out 5 days later.  I had a unilateral mastectomy.  My drains were the bulb ones and were long enough to come out the bottom of any shirt I wore.  I pinned them up and hid them under a sweat jacket or loose shirt though.  They exit from just to the side of under your arm. Drains are more annoying than anything really. 

Dx 11/21/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 22, 2008 05:29PM Sige wrote:

This is great - I wish I had seen this prior to my surgery!

"Religion is about creation, and for that reason religion should be about the earth." - Laurie Cabot Dx 4/3/2006, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 03/25/2006 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left) Radiation Therapy 08/01/2006 External Hormonal Therapy 09/22/2006 Tamoxifen

May 22, 2008 05:33PM kimbly wrote:

Me too actually

Dx 11/21/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 22, 2008 05:55PM wishiwere wrote:

Mine (one) was the bottom of where the breast was, under the original mammary fold I'd say.  Resting against my rib and caused a LOT of pain till it was out!  Thank heavens it came out on Wednesday at the post-op following the Thursday mast. They were down to NOTHING in drainage!  YEAH!  After it came out and yes, I thought it hurt, I was so relieved! I think it was the first full breath I'd taken since the surgery it hurt so much sitting against that rib.  I still have pain on the rib if it's touched with any pressure, but did when my bra sat on it for any length of time too.  Mine were the long tubes and bulbs like this and had to be 'primed' or what ever they call it 3-4 times a day or something like that and then call it in every day. 

The tube for mine was at the middle of the chest or so and taped up so much, I felt constricted between that and the OnQ pump for pain meds, I had more tape than most repair kits for tires! :)  When both those were off, the pain was NIL!  I did not have a drain for the SLN Bx as only 3 nodes were taken. :) 

jacquibutterfly?  Why were you in the hospital for 5 days?  Man, I was out of there in under 24 from the time I stepped in to the time I was in the car headed home! Did you have complications?

wishiwere~ Path read stage 1C- 1st Primary was IDC w/DCIS 1.4 cm, ER/PR+ & HER2- Dx 9/21/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2008 07:39PM CAZ wrote:

Thank you Kimbly and whishiwere for comforting the crazies in my planning head

Oct 19, 2008 08:55PM rockwell_girl wrote:

bumping this up for the new ladies

Sandy/Sunshine : ) Dx 3/4/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-