We are 154,852 members in 79 forums discussing 122,603 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Before Surgery/Narcotics Stool Softeners ?

Topic: Before Surgery/Narcotics Stool Softeners ?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: May 6, 2008 11:41AM

Dejaboo wrote:

Ok,  Ughmmm.  Heres a question...Maybe some of you might know.

I usually get diarrhea when I have a just a Drs Appt (nerves)  And certainly had it before my Lumpectomy/SNB.  I also became Constipated from the Pain meds after the Lumpectomy.  Started Stool softeners I think on day 2 after surgery.

So Should I wait & start the stool softener in the Hospital after my Surgery...And not before my surgery?

Thanks,

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

May 6, 2008 12:58PM SandyinSoCal wrote:

Based upon my ten day bout of constipation last summer that required a trip to the ER, I would recommend starting them a couple of days before.   In addition to starting them in advance,  I was given a dose of three Colace right after my last couple of surgeries, and haven't had the same problem again.  The nurses had me drink a full cup of water with every pain pill.   I don't normally have problems, but a long surgery combined with little activity and lots of narcotics caused my intestines to shut down and it was incredibly miserable until I had a soap suds enema in the ER.

I am wonderfully made to do ExtraOrdinary things! (www.girleo.com) Dx 5/22/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 6, 2008 01:02PM puppyholic wrote:

I started my gas X and stool softeners right after my surgery. I wouldn't take anything before surgery without asking your drs first. It might have a reaction to the anesthesia or do something to your blood, like thin it.

Dx 8/2007, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 6, 2008 05:50PM determinedmom wrote:

Definitely start stool softeners as soon as possible, may even want to have laxatives/suppositories on hand just in case. I started my softeners about 36 hrs. after surgery and ended up needing to use the suppos., don't wait too long to 'relieve' yourself.

When you get your pain meds., get the easy off caps.

Best wishes,
Jeanne

Dx 5/26/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-

May 6, 2008 09:58PM , edited May 16, 2008 08:31AM by sam408

I agree that you shouldn't take anything prior to surgery without clearing it with your drs. But do take the stool softeners as long as you're on the pain meds. I didn't heed this advice and paid for it last week when the constipation became pretty much unbearable. The fact that I'm recovering from a tram and couldn't push made matters even worse.

Anyway, here's a tip I got off the internet in the middle of the night when I was trying to get through this. Put your feet on a small stool in front of the toilet so that your knees are higher than your waist. Then lean forward and this puts your body in a squatting position which lines everything up and was the way our bodies were designed to eliminate. It worked!

Stay on top of this bowel movement thing. You will be miserable if you don't. I definitely won't let myself get in that shape again.

Sheila . . .Never regret something that made you smile. Dx 2/16/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 16, 2008 01:48PM sam408 wrote:

bumping for May surgery gals

Sheila . . .Never regret something that made you smile. Dx 2/16/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 16, 2008 02:32PM wahine wrote:

I agree with everyone here. Came close to going to the ER myself this week, cause of constipation/compaction. Extremely painful, and suppositories and enemas and pills did not work for several hours. DO take stool softeners!!!! I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

May 16, 2008 03:50PM Dejaboo wrote:

Kind of like a Stool Softener!   Surprised

I couldnt resist.

Pam

<<<<Anyway, here's a tip I got off the internet in the middle of the night when I was trying to get through this. Put your feet on a small stool in front of the toilet so that your knees are higher than your waist. Then lean forward and this puts your body in a squatting position which lines everything up and was the way our bodies were designed to eliminate. It worked!>>>

statistics are just a group of numbers looking for an argument Dx 3/7/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 16, 2008 04:03PM sam408 wrote:

LOL. . .glad to see you're keeping your sense of humor Pam. Now I'll be laughing the next time I drag my little stool into the bathroom. . .LOL!

May 16, 2008 06:19PM tmac wrote:

I'm in agreement too, at least after surgery.  I had a hysterectomy two years ago and learned my lesson re:narcotics/constipation, etc.  In prep for my bi-mast 3 wks. ago, I started colace as soon as my dr. okayed it.  I also drank a lot of water, increased my bran intake, well, you get the pix.  I figured the natural stuff couldn't hurt.  Walking I've heard is good, too, so I tried to take little walks around the neighborhood once my doc gave me the go ahead.  And, no constipation, at least not the level I experienced two years ago.  Good luck!    

Dx 2/8/2008, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 16, 2008 06:59PM SLH wrote:

The pain meds, muscle relaxants, and nausea meds ALL cause constipation, so it's a triple whammy on your bowels!  And then there's the added fun of having hemorrhoids from the constipation!

I take a Dulcolax or Colace (stool softener) every time I take a major pain pill. Yes, I learned the "hard" way! (pun intended)

May 16, 2008 07:31PM ckr11100 wrote:

Oh I am so there with you all.  I was even taking the stool softeners (dulcolax) as soon as I got home from the hospital.  Last night I was miserable (1 week post bil mast).  I seriously was ready to go to the ER.  I decided to take milk of magnesia and had my hubby go get me prunes from the store.  It worked!  This am I finally got some relief.  Im drinking prune juice now and hoping that it keeps me "going".  Hope that wasnt TMI!

Dx 4/21/2008, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+