We are 155,685 members in 80 forums discussing 123,311 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Feeling The Creepy Crawlies

Topic: Feeling The Creepy Crawlies

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Dec 25, 2008 10:53PM

GryffinSong wrote:

It's not that today is more painful, or that I'm weaker, or feeling fatigued. I just have this icky feeling in my chest today. It's sort of a numb feeling. Sort of a tingly sensation. And for some reason its really, really bugging me. Pain meds don't affect it. I guess it's just one of those healing indicators, but it's a creepy, crawly feeling. I'm 9 days post surgery. Is this normal? Is there any way to aleviate it?

Thanks!

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Dec 25, 2008 11:12PM zengrl wrote:

Hey there Gryffin... is it like when you go to the dentist and after when you start to "thaw" but don't quite have the feeling back? I think it's just the nerves re-generating. I used to massage and rub and squeeze.... the combination used to work out okay! (beer also helps!!) Just not out in public!! (the rubbing and squeezing that is:)  Every once in a while you will get a "zapping" feeling... this, too, is the nerves coming back. It will settle down eventually, everyone is different... I hope you have/had a great holiday other than that. 

peace and hugs

Dx 6/2003, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/13 nodes, ER-, HER2-

Dec 25, 2008 11:26PM GryffinSong wrote:

Thanks, zengrl, that sounds likely to be it. I was wondering if rubbing some lotion on it would help, but the incisions aren't healed enough for that sort of thing. Maybe I can rub the area around it and see if that helps at all.

The holidays have been mostly good. The problem I'm having is that I'm staying with friends, but I don't really know them all that well. Not enough to feel completely comfortable living here for the short term. The woman and her son have a peculiar relationship. He's 18, yet she treats him like a child. It gives me the willies, and I keep wanting to say something to them. It makes me feel a bit stressed out sometime, but I live in the country, and don't feel comfortable going home until my drains are out. Too big a chance my dogs will pull on them or otherwise hurt me accidentally.

I'm hoping maybe next week I can make it to my own space. Living in someone else's living room, when I'm used to my independence, is driving me a little batty.

bmx, no recon - December 16, 2008, AC/T, rads Dx 11/4/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 3/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 26, 2008 05:30AM violet62 wrote:

Thank you for answering that question, I had a mastectomy one week ago today. Those feelings were bothering me, and I couldnt figure out if it was normal. I have never had to deal with this before. Thank you again.  Violet

Dec 26, 2008 11:20AM , edited Dec 26, 2008 12:49PM by webwriter

Hey GriffinSong!

I only managed lumpectomy/SNB (15th) and ALND (18th), not mastectomy. But doesn't that make us "surgery half sisters" or something? ;) My left arm to the elbow, armpit and side feel like your chest.  

I happen to be in PT anyway for a right shoulder repair on 11/20. My right arm is coming back stronger, but much slower since the surgery was much more intricate on that side. I do, however,  have the benefit of some great professional advice since it's all happening at once.

Jessica says: Lightly oil your fingers with triple antibiotic ointment. Feather touches on your incisions in one general direction, then the next, with long sweeping motions until it's healed over and the drains come out. For tissues that are not open but "recovering" bare fingers with quarter sized light circular motions. Because you still have numbness, you want to go pretty light in all areas. Once the feeling is really back, you can dig a little deeper. However, for scars, never too deep. You're working on the skin layers, not deep tissue, so keep that in mind. 

Nearly verbatim as well as I can remember. Thanx to my wonderful PT for the above. 

I hope it can do you some good too.

-Webbie

(edited because I typed that in a rush and it showed!)

www.acoffeebreakcafe.com/CBC/b... Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 26, 2008 05:57PM GryffinSong wrote:

Thanks webwriter... I'm glad to meet a "half sister"! I can probably start doing those things you recommend in another week or so. Right now I still have paper tape over the incisions, and am supposed to leave it on until it falls of on its own. They estimated two weeks after surgery for that.

bmx, no recon - December 16, 2008, AC/T, rads Dx 11/4/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 3/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 26, 2008 06:17PM webwriter wrote:

My pleasure--or something. haha! I haven't touched my "drain hole" yet, or even my ALND incision. So, I can only vouch for the shoulder repair scars. It's worked well on them so far. (1 month out) The breast incision is ready for me to start on it (12 days or so out, I guess.) I've also been working on the numb areas under my arm and down my side just a little. Not where the incisions were, but that vast unfathomable area that can't decide if shooting pains, general "abrasive" annoyance, tingling or outright dead is the way to be. :)

I hope it helps us both!

Wishing you the best--

Webbie 

www.acoffeebreakcafe.com/CBC/b... Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 26, 2008 07:41PM whippetmom wrote:

Gryff:  Ask your doctor about any topical creams you might use and when to use them.  Most say wait until after the sutures come out.  Hope you are doing well.  I know you must be missing your hounds Wink  I was without mine for a week - I had withdrawal pains!!!

Deborah

DISCLAIMER! I am not a physician or medical profesional. The information provided is my own personal opinion. You must discuss every aspect of your reconstruction with your plastic surgeon. Dx 10/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-