We are 161,282 members in 81 forums discussing 127,164 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Scar on breast from lumpectomy

Topic: Scar on breast from lumpectomy

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Apr 6, 2009 02:00PM

Sukiann wrote:

I am almost 4 weeks out from my lumpectomy.  Everything went fine with the surgery (no complications).  I did have major amounts of swelling which was normal the first two weeks and saw my surgeon after the first week.  The swelling has gone down, but now my breast just looks completely managled.  I looked up pictures on google of what a lumpectomy scar looks like and boy does mine look different.  I know that it depends on how much tissue was removed (I had a 2.5 cm tumor).  My scar in concave meaning that it is sunk in the middle and the tissue is bumped up on each side.  For lack of a better analogy it looks like a crack in a rear end (sorry! it really does).  Anyone else have such a horrible scar?  I am that the surgeon saved my life and I don't plan on posing naked anytime soon (well, you never know) so who cares, right? I was just wondering.

Dx 1/14/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Apr 6, 2009 02:47PM barbe1958 wrote:

Ah Sukiann, you are still so fresh out of your surgery! A lot of the sunken area will fill in naturally as time goes on, you will be posing nude by summer!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there. (Lakota Nation) Dx 12/10/2008,

Apr 6, 2009 10:06PM marymac wrote:

Yup....it is very natural to fill in if you give it some time. It is pretty soon after your surgery to have a final idea of how your incision will look like. The important to keep in mind is the real goal. Get rid of your "enemy". So far you are winning the war not just a battle. Laughing
Marymac Dx 11/27/2004, ILC, 6cm+, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Apr 6, 2009 11:18PM Eldub wrote:

I'm about 10 weeks post lumpectomy and the shape of my breast and scar have changed quite a lot.  At 4 weeks I still had quite a bit of swelling (I didn't realize how much, actually).  I suspect that part of the issue with the mounds on either side of your scar is actually still swelling.  That compounds with the area under the scar not filling in yet to make the dip seem more dramatic than it likely will after everything is really healed.  My surgeon said that I would have a "divet" when all was said and done (a different surgeon had said the amount of tissue being taken out was a little bigger than a golf ball - I guess they all play golf!)  She also said it would be 6 months or so post radiation before I'd have a reasonably good idea of the final cosmetic outcome.  I'm now 2/3 of the way through radiation and the shape and size of my breast continues to change - I'm just trying to go with the flow and realize I won't know how it's really going to look for a few months yet. 

Hang in there!

Linda

BRCA- but family cancer hx. I'm also the mom to a very busy toddler! Dx 12/3/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-

Apr 7, 2009 04:25AM Sukiann wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I'll give it time, I'm one of those "I can't wait for things to be back to normal again" people.  I have a few more months before I can get my life back.  It's just strange to look at this deformity.  I have multiple scars on my chest from my 2 defibrillator surgeries and now the node and lumpectomy scars.  Those won't be visible in a bathing suit but the defib. ones are.  I'm alive though!!!!  That is what's most important.  Thanks again for your replies.  Going to the oncologist tomorrow so I'll ask him too and I'll get my oncotype score YIKES!

Dx 1/14/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 7, 2009 04:41AM hopefor30 wrote:

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my lumpectomy scar sounds like it was very similar to yours.   Mine also "caved in" and I was left with a crack -- it was very hard as well and the nipple pointed down.  After 3 months (the time I waited for a mastecomy and DIEP recon) it was still caved in and hard -- also uncomfortable.

In my case, I lot of tissue was also removed -- I had a 6cm span of DCIS -- I ended up having a mastectomy with DIEP recon -- the crack is gone and it now looks pretty good.  If yours doesn't improve, you could always consult with a plastic surgeon.

Apr 7, 2009 05:15PM geysermom wrote:

You need to wait a bit longer and try to be patient.  My lumpectomy scar was very sunken in the middle which the surgeon said was due to the incision being "stuck" to the tissue below.  It looked pretty bad, but she said to give it some time and if necessary the scar could be revised.  Well, one night I woke up slightly because I felt a "pop" in my chest and in the morning I noticed the scar was no longer stuck to the tissue underneath and was considerably smoother.  Over the next several months it just continued to look better and better.  It is actually barely visable now.

Good Luck!

Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomies for Diffuse ADH Dx 12/2007, , Stage 0

Apr 7, 2009 05:27PM JO-5 wrote:

I think it all depends on where the scar is and how big the lump was. I am 5 yrs out.

The surgeon said he would do all he could to get clean margins --- and I told him to take as much as he needed to. (I think he used an ice-cream scoop!) Surprised

My scar is at the top inside of my breast and still looks awful and is stretched wider than it was originally because of the pull on it from the weight of my breast (and not a large breast.) I had aux. node disection (16) and have a similar scar at the edge of my under arm.

I have heard that Vit. E (just break open a capsule and rub it in) is good for the scars and helps them to heal better. I never knew that until last year and by then it was too late to do me any good.

Sounds like yours will get better with time.

JO

dx.04 IDC, tumor 1.4 cm, stage 1, grade 3, lumpectomy w/clear margins, 0/16 nod es, ER+/ PR+ over 90,HER2 negative, 33 rads w/3 boosts, Arimidex 5 yrs. 2014 and again in may 2015 angiosarcoma from RT. removed in wide excisions, clear margins. Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right

Apr 9, 2009 04:39PM Roberta77 wrote:

Yes, it does fill in with time. For the scar, I got a jar of scar gel, which softens the skin with emollients. I find it has also diminished the scar tissue as well.

Friends are the gems of life Dx 11/12/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-

Jan 13, 2012 06:46PM , edited Jan 13, 2012 06:59PM by jennifer36

I am about to have my first lumpectomy on january 31st and I am scared out of my mind.My doctor said it was about 14cm....and I am not even really sure how big that is......

Jan 14, 2012 10:09AM Spinnerpom wrote:

Sukiann, you didn't mention if you are having radiation? If so, it will probably shrink your swelling. You may not have a sense of what your final outcome will look like until after rads.

Sara Dx 11/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-