We are 161,523 members in 81 forums discussing 127,298 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: What to Expect Mastectomy Scars to Look like???

Topic: What to Expect Mastectomy Scars to Look like???

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 11:57AM, edited Jan 19, 2010 06:38PM by ameron

ameron wrote:

This Post was deleted by ameron.
Dx 5/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Oct 26, 2009 12:08PM , edited Oct 26, 2009 12:10PM by dreaming

It depends of how you scar and heal, I know people that barely one can see scars, the color of your skin and the scar, mine is very red and my skin is very fair.

I do not care, I do not go topless,make my living stripping or go to a nude beach, I am a very secure person, had my reconstruction a year after, and only because I wanted small breasts.

There are many products to minimize any scars.

Many scars fade with time, just wait and consult with your doctor.

After the mastectomy a second diferent cancer was found: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, C.F.M.: Dx 7/7/1991, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 26, 2009 12:14PM aoandrews43 wrote:

The tape makes a big difference. I had tape, but under that was surgical glue. The scars looked terrible with the surgical glue because I think that there was a bit of bleeding and scabbing that occurred as they put the glue over it. But once the glue came off, the lines were surprisingly tiny and not at all uneven looking (and it was like this for my mastectomy and my exchange surgery). I have noticed that many women have horizontal scars, while mine are vertical.

But I do think time is the best thing of all for seeing how they fade. My plastic surgeon thinks that massaging the scars gently (after 4 weeks) is helpful. 

Dx 01/23/09 2.8cm, stage IIa, grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR- HER2-

Oct 26, 2009 12:16PM Jaimieh wrote:

I tried reconstruction (that failed first) and my scars now are almost sunk in. My PS did leave my skin though since I intend to try and get reconstruction next year. I am sure my scar will get better with time. I am also lumpy but that is also from the fluid build up that I am still getting.

Dx 12/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 3/25/2014, IDC, Stage I, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 26, 2009 12:59PM , edited Jan 19, 2010 06:37PM by ameron

Oct 26, 2009 01:07PM , edited Oct 26, 2009 01:11PM by dash

Hi, my scars also looked very rough when I first saw them and in fact, I could not believe a plastic surgeon had done it! However, thru the years they have faded alot. I still have scars but they are the color of my skin which I'm grateful for! BTW--I sent you a PM

Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen, though...That's the problem. ~The Tao of Pooh

Oct 26, 2009 02:28PM mom_of_2 wrote:

I referred to my scars as my FRANKENBOOBS! I thought the same thing as far as jagged incisions. I was expecting precision and straight lines. BUT now 10 months post mastecomy I am thrilled with end result. I would have never believed that scars could look so good given time to heal. After I had tattooing done scars are barely visible and I take my shirt off in the locker room again Smile! I would be happy to email you a pic if you send me a PM with your address.

All the best...Kris 

mom_of_2 Dx 6/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 26, 2009 03:04PM chainsawz wrote:

I found some pictures in the 'photographs' section of BreastFree.org (http://breastfree.org/viewer.php?num=22)  I knew what to expect after my bilateral mastectomy - take a look there :>  It is difficult to find any pictures that do not involve reconstruction...not sure why?

At first, my scars were puckered like a shar pei dog, but my surgeon assured me those would smooth out after a few months and they did!  My scars are smooth and are almost straight lines a year later and I am happy.  I was suprised that I have a little area that caves in a bit on one side.  I did some research and found that each side of the body is different - in this case the my rib cage on one side sticks out farther than the other.  It's not really noticeable, but I could exercise to build up muscle.....if I ever got motivated...LOL!!    

It will take a few months for the swelling to resolve and everything to start settling so give it a little time and it will look better and you will have great looking noobes (no boobs), too!  Hang in there!!  lisa

Lisa -mets to lungs & brain - clear lymph nodes.....the weakest step toward the top of the hill, toward sunrise, toward hope, is stronger than the fiercest storm. Dx 7/21/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 26, 2009 03:46PM jenn3 wrote:

My surgeon used surgical glue on my BMX.  Initiall I had some of the puckered look and scabbing but I was told it would heal and begin to look better over time.  I am now four months out of surgery and the scars are very thin lines and look great.  Better than I thought they'd look.......................

Jenn - June 2009 IDC-TN, Stage III, 02/2011 Stage IV mets to the lungs & spine / Laugh until your belly hurts, then laugh some more...........

Oct 26, 2009 03:46PM ameron wrote:

Thanks all for the posts.  Would be good if surgeon would "tell" me these things.  I asked, he said I would have "a line".  Didn't say it would take months to straighten out.  I was expecting a small stitched line....not!

Oct 27, 2009 06:45AM Erica wrote:

Hi Ameron,

The link to BreastFree.org that chainsawz gave didn't quite get you there. I hope you were able to access the photos. If not, try this link: http://breastfree.org/viewer.php?num=22. That should do it!

Hopefully, once the post-surgical swelling goes down, your scars will look better. If not, revisions are always possible to neaten up the scar and, as I understand it, are a minor procedure. Women often use a plastic surgeon for revisions, as they are expert at creating the best cosmetic results. 

chainsawz,

I have the same thing--one rib in particular on one side is more prominent than on the other side. I never knew there could be such variations. When my breasts were covering, it wasn't obvious LOL. Like you, my scars have healed well and a small amount of fluid that hung around on one side for almost three years (!) finally dissipated, so I am happy, too.

Barbara

BreastFree.org

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree