We are 157,823 members in 80 forums discussing 124,873 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Post-Lumpectomy Bra?

Topic: Post-Lumpectomy Bra?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: May 7, 2011 01:33PM

crabbiepattie wrote:

I had a lumpectomy last summer and finished rads in early February.  I'm just surfacing to think of matters other than basic survival. Underwire bras were best for me before but now I probably have mild trucal LE so that's out.  I wear a smoother for occasional swelling. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bra that can bring the girls into line without underwires?  In the range of 38C or so.

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

May 7, 2011 01:38PM Annabella58 wrote:

Hi there, I had a lumpectomy and am now a 36-38 C/D ...one was left B/C after my latest bout (mtxmy/recon) and the other a DD :0.

I have used victoria's secret wirefree "very sexy" line with great success.  In a tight T shirt, I have found those little poly fill pads that come with the Softee camisole to be a boon.  Just that little filler to even it up.

The "very Sexy" line has molded cups that disguise uneven breasts and give a smooth line if you lost a nip or even if you did not. (I have one and lost one).

Since I have mild truncal LE also after a lat flap (back swells with exertion) I used on occasion, one of those bra extenders you can find anywhere, online sells great ones.

Try also, Walcoal or Bali molded wirefree cups.  Good luck to you!

May 7, 2011 01:40PM Annabella58 wrote:

oops: p.s.

for my DD and B/C if I get the C cup, it works perfectly.  DD is a little bit squished, but not unduly so and I can even up B/C with the little pad.

This bra is a lifesaver and it is actually comfortable!!  I"ve had mine on since 7AM (12+ hours now) and perfectly comfortable.

PM me if I can help you more with this.

May 7, 2011 01:50PM judyfams wrote:

I had mild truncal lymphedema after radiation.

My radiation oncologist showed me how to massage my breast using aquaphor.  Lie on your back with your arm under your head like you would do for a breast self exam.  Put aquaphor on the breast and using your fingers and palm go in horizontal lines from under your armpit across the breast to the sternum, constantly applying LIGHT, EVEN pressure. Do that so your massage goes across the whole breast.  I did that twice a day for about 2 weeks and the swelling went down. But I did continue doing that for once a day for another week or so just to make sure.

Try the massage - you have nothing to lose  - if it doesn't help it can't hurt!

Judy

Dx 3/1/2010, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 03/15/2011 Fareston (chemical name: toremifene, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)) Surgery 03/25/2010 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my right breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my right side Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 Chemotherapy 05/25/2010 Cytoxan (chemical name: cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (chemical name: docetaxel)

May 7, 2011 03:37PM crabbiepattie wrote:

Thanks, Annie.  I'll go to VS and try that bra.  Very sexy would be good!

And thanks, Judy.  I have aquaphor so I'll give that massage a try.  I had cellulitis last month (all better now after antibiotics) so I should probably do this regularly.

Dx 6/8/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 8, 2011 12:54AM judyfams wrote:

I kow the massage was uncomfortable at first, but it did help.  I started up at the top of my breast near the collar bone and ended below the breast at the bra line.  That part had some radiation burning and was very tender, so I started with a little pressure when I got to that point in the beginning and when that area started to heal I applied more pressure.

I still do the massage every few weeks just so the fluid won't get a chance to accumulate if some fluid is still there.

Judy 

Dx 3/1/2010, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 03/15/2011 Fareston (chemical name: toremifene, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)) Surgery 03/25/2010 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my right breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my right side Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 Chemotherapy 05/25/2010 Cytoxan (chemical name: cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (chemical name: docetaxel)

May 8, 2011 01:07AM voraciousreader wrote:

Oy! I was living with post lumpectomy shoulder pain for the last year to the point that I couldn't even wear a bra!  Since I'm a 36B, manufacturers don't place emphasis on the shoulder straps for women like us.  At Nordstrom's Rack I paid $24 for a beautiful Natori cotton exercise bra that is normally $48 on their website and in the store.  It's a terrific bra with great straps.  The best find was at Kmart!   They have the Hanes All-Over Comfort line with "money back comfort guarantee"  "Straps Stay in Place" both wire and wire free models for $12.  I had to go up a size to 38B.  I love them and the straps stay in place.  Having had shoulder surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago, it feels so good to be back in a bra.

Feel better and good luck on your search...and if you see any comfortable socks along the way... let me know.  Thanks.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

May 9, 2011 04:54AM cinnamonsmiles wrote:

Have you tried a speciality clinic for mastectomy bras? I know our local shop has fitters for lymphedema and mastectomy patients. Maybe they would be able to help? I know you didn't have a mastectomy but perhaps they would have something or know where to go in your area? Just a thought.

Mastectomy without reconstruction was NOT the worst or only available option. I chose it and am happy with my decision.

May 9, 2011 03:59PM crabbiepattie wrote:

I tried the massage and it seemed to calm the area some. I'm sure it improved circulation.  I'm going to keep it up, thanks Judy.

Then I went on the shopping mission. The bras at Victoria's Secret are beautiful and trying on bras there is an experience. There is a service button in the fitting room - wow!  But nothing fit - just rolls of fat popping up on the sides and back.  Apparently I need a 40 instead of a 38.  I have to order from the catalog.

I need something now though, so I went to the dept store and found Vanity Fair's Body Caress wirefree in - gack - a 40B.  Just slightly squished on one side and slightly loose on the other. The size difference is not noticeable and the shape difference is not too noticeable. The bra is very soft and stretchy.

If I hadn't found this bra, I would go to the specialty bra store as Cinnamon suggests.  I found out about a nice shop in my area listed in the resources notebook at the radiation clinic.  I have this fantasy that I'll lose 20 pounds so I've been putting off buying an expensive bra.  Dumb, I know.

Glad your shoulder is feeling better, Reader.  What a bummer to have shoulder pain in addition to everything else. That Natori bra is a beauty.  I'll have to check out the Hanes bras.

Dx 6/8/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2011 01:08AM judyfams wrote:

Glad to hear the massage is helping.  It does get easier to do - the onlybad thing is that the aquaphor is just so greasy!

But I'll gladly put up with greasy instead of lymphedema any day!

Judy