We are 157,634 members in 80 forums discussing 124,748 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Surgery - Before, During, and After → Topic: Lumpectomy/Sentinel Node Biopsy Recovery

Topic: Lumpectomy/Sentinel Node Biopsy Recovery

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Sep 27, 2011 11:24AM

Kathy9433 wrote:

I had my procedures on 9/16/11.  Lumpectomy site...no problem.  Sentinel Node Biopsy site feels like a tennis ball under my arm....fluid retention?  It's not really painful, just tender and annoying!  Ice packs feel great.  Any similar experiences?

Kathy :O)

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Sep 27, 2011 07:54PM , edited Sep 27, 2011 07:56PM by cycle-path

Yep! Women often come here asking how long a lumpectomy recovery takes. I think it takes about as long as it takes to get the anesthetic to get completely out of your system.

But they don't always mention whether they're having an SNB. That recovery can take a good long while. That being said, I think 11 days is a little excessive. Have you called the doctor's office? Are you taking an OTC anti-inflammatory? 

How about some simple exercises, like spider-crawling your fingers up the wall? 

I am an Uppity Woman. Don't like my posts? Put me on IGNORE. Dx 12/10/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Sep 27, 2011 07:56PM Grimbol wrote:

Oh sorry, I really didn't have problems with mine, but it does sound like too long so yes, call your doctor.

Dx 6/27/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Sep 28, 2011 12:42AM Kathy9433 wrote:

Thanks for your input....will be calling Dr. in the morning.  Actually feels a lot better this evening!

Dx 8/17/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 28, 2011 05:44PM Lindacon wrote:

Yes.  Large mass removed from my right armpit three weeks ago.  Turned out to be breast tissue.   Surgeon did not like the looks of two nodes and removed them but biopsy was negative.  I still have a mass, called seroma, fluid which has accumulated inspite of draining.  But now the incision is fully healed so the mass is bigger harder.  Not painful just annoying.  I have been advised it will reabsorb in time...2-4 months more.  Also inside of my arm is super sensitive to touch, like sunburn or sandpaper rubbing.  I wrap it in hubby's hanky during the day to keep it from rubbing on my side.  Patience!

Sep 28, 2011 08:14PM Kathy9433 wrote:

Ha! Patience has become my middle name!  Seeing Dr. tomorrow so she can take a look at it.  She said possible seroma and wants to check it out.  I have that sunburn feeling also!  I travel with my ice packs all the time now :O) They really help me a lot.  Thanks for your input...hang in there!

Sep 30, 2011 05:38PM etherize wrote:

Kathy, we share a dx date. :-)

I had my lumpectomy/SNB on the 14th and I still have quite a bit of pain ... mostly in the armpit (slow stretching exercises help) but also periodic little stabbing and shooting pains in the breast. Inside of my arm (especially!) and breast skin is so sensitive that I haven't even been able to get all the adhesive off from the bandages.  I'm practically gulping ibuprofen.  

I've also developed a weird rash (about 9 days post-op) that encircles my upper arm.  It looks like prickly heat (I guess) but doesn't itch.  I told my BS about it, but I think she thought it was just in my armpit, because she said she might have disrupted my sweat glands.  Had never heard of such a reaction before.

Dx 8/17/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 06/19/2012 Arimidex (chemical name: anastrozole, class: aromatase inhibitor) Surgery 10/17/2011 Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Underarm (axillary) lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Surgery 09/14/2011 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Radiation Therapy 05/07/2012 Chemotherapy 12/19/2011 CMF: Cytoxan, methotrexate, and fluorouracil

Sep 30, 2011 06:49PM Kathy9433 wrote:

Hi  Etherize! Thanks for the response.  Saw the Dr. yesterday (9/29) and she drained the site; it was a seroma.  Today everything looks and feels SOOOOO much better.  Don't feel like I have a lemon stuck in my armpit!  Just keep an eye on things and listen to that little voice in your head when you feels something is not quite right.  Hugs to you :O)

Kathy 

Oct 4, 2011 01:58AM rhonda2011 wrote:

i just had mine today...  it's late i cant sleep... didnt really feel bad exept under the arm.   there seems to be alot of blood in the bandage (guaze) under my arm.   it's dried now... so i dont know how long its been there.    pretty well sooked thru.   anyone else have that happen?   should i call the doctor? 

Dx 8/24/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2011 11:18AM Kathy9433 wrote:

Hi Rhonda,  ALWAYS listen to that little voice in your head...if it tells you to call the doc; call the doc! :O)  Even if it turns out to be nothing, you'll feel better!  Just try not to overdo with the arm and keep it rested as much as possible.  That was my problem, I am right handed and the SNB was of course on the right side...had to have it drained two weeks after surgery.  It's three weeks now and MUCH better.  Hope the nodes are all clear....hugs to you...

Kathy

Oct 23, 2011 12:51AM sam1234long wrote:

Had my lumpectomy/snb about 2 & 1/2 weeks ago. I'm still pretty sore. Underarm is annoying kinda burny feeling at times. But my breast feels hard and not much feeling around the nipple area. Still swollen. Dr asked if i had any sloshing but i don't. Seems like its taking its sweet time feeling better. Anyone have an estimation when it starts feeling alot better?

Sam

Oct 23, 2011 01:05AM Kathy9433 wrote:

Hi Sam,  You should start feeling better REAL soon :O).  I had to have my surgeon drain my SNB site after 2 weeks...developed a seroma...felt like a lemon stuck in my armpit!  It's been a little over a month for me now and all healed.  I do remember a funny thing about the lumpectomy site.  When adjusting my bra straps over the incision site, if I snapped them, it sounded hollow (weird!) but now everything is back to normal and I did hear a little "sloshing" for a while.  When I stretch my arm out in front of me it still has a strange pulling sensation from inner wrist to SNB site.  Be patient, you'll be feeling fine in no time!  And good luck with the rest of your treatments  XOXO to you,

Kathy

Oct 24, 2011 06:47PM sam1234long wrote:

Hi Kathy, New to all this but its comforting to know your not the only one. And knowing others have some of the same things or feelings. I'm really hoping this starts getting better by next week cause i have to head back to work. Was your seroma large and was it hard? I really don't have anything hard it just burns alot like razor burn. Areas of the breast are still quite tender to touch. I also have 2 areas which look blue-green..thought these were bruising but now thinking it was the radiation. Seeing the radiology onocologist tomorrow to start the next part of the journey. Thank you for your help...XOXO /Sam

Oct 24, 2011 11:28PM Kathy9433 wrote:

Hi Sam,  I couldn't agree more with you about the comforting feeling....so many of these beautiful ladies have helped me, too!  A week makes a BIG difference in your healing...the body is amazing.  My seroma felt like one of those small waterballoons (grenade size lol) surgeon drained about 3/4 cup of fluid and the relief was immediate!  Still have a little fluid, feels like a marble now.  And I remember the "burning"feeling.  Kind of like rubbing sandpaper.  It WILL go away soon.  Not sure about the blue-green, maybe the dye from the SNB?  If you have any worries don't hesitate to call your doctor...always listen to that little voice in your head...it's usually right on!  Hang in there  oxoxox back atcha!

Kathy  

Oct 25, 2011 10:44PM sam1234long wrote:

Kathy,  Saw Radiology Oncologist today and an examination was done and was pleased with range of motion and overall recovery. The blue-green is dye and will fade eventually as will the burning, which is getting better. Can't imagine that much fluid and how annoying that had to have been. So glad to hear your doing much better! Great advice and hope to keep in touch. Stay strong! xoxoxo

Sam