Join Us

We are 220,438 members in 84 forums discussing 161,930 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 6, 2008 06:43PM - edited Jul 23, 2019 01:50PM by Moderators

Panchoandlefty wrote:

OK, I admit it, I am a compulsive planner. I have had some great suggestions and tips not only regarding what to bring to the hospital, but also on how to prepare the house to make the recovery as easy as possible.

I am travelling for surgery so, for me, "packing" includes the first 10 days of post-op care.

I thought I would start a list (in no particular order) that might serve as a reference... PLEASE add your suggestions!!! Anything at all you either found helpful OR wish you'd considered before your surgery.

I am a bit of a MacGyver type and love creative uses for things like the lanyards and fanny packs for drains. I was wondering if a light/loose fly fishing vesy might be handy both for drains and for holding my phone, mp3 player, etc so I didn't have to reach so much... I am SUCH a geek.

Anyway, over-organizing seems to be keeping me occupied as my bi-latteral approaches. I know everything won't be a hit with everyone, but it gives us some things to think about.

******NOTE: MODS TOOK ORIGINAL LIST FROM Panchoandlefty AND COMBINED WITH OTHER MEMBER SUGGESTIONS UP THROUGH END OF MARCH 2015*********** We are happy to keep adding, and please let us know if we missed anything !

Combined list from what others have said in this topic !

Community member tips for Surgery

Tips for the hospital:

Hand sanitizer, antiviral Kleenex, Anti-bacterial adult wipes (in a pretty dispenser), adult "baby wipes" to give yourself sponge baths.

'skin prep wipes'. These help prep the skin for tape and other adhesives

Roll on or Spray Deodorant, NOT a solid stick.

Lozenges or hard candy of your choice.

A lip balm of choice

Face and hand moisturizer

A stool softener, dried prunes, bran cereal and "smooth move" tea, laxatives.

Clipboard, notebook and pen (for documenting when you had pain meds and drain amounts)

Zip up track suits or button up pajamas and shirts.

Slippers, cotton front snap bras

Silky bottoms/PJs to make getting in/out of bed easier

Zip up hoodies/ warm ups, soft flannel shirt is just right for after surgery.

Camisoles/tanks which can be stepped into (as opposed to pulling over-head)

Jog Bras (Natori is recommended) or whatever support is suggested by your surgeon

Pull on, easy pants or shorts, or shirt

Reading glasses

iPod, Mp3 / Music player

Cell phone/ have friends' numbers handy!

Book, magazine

Hair tie if your hair is long.

Lanyard (like for ID cards) for holding drains

Fanny pack for drains

Nurses can make a necklace from IV tubing to hold drains in shower

Luck trinkets or photos from friends and/or family.

A good eye mask and ear plugs in the hospital.

Take clothes to hospital that can be washed/sanitized at home

If you are going to sleep in bed and not a recliner at home, ask the nursing staff to show you the proper way to get in and out of bed with the least strain on your back and upper body.

If you feel you may not be up for visitors at the hospital, just let the nurses and staff know that you prefer no visitors except DH or immediate family. I knew that I was having a rough time emotionally as it was beforehand. I didn't want to put on a happy face for a friend, cousin or whomever wanted to stop by. I know the visitors mean well, but for me I just wanted peace & quiet.

Tips for the ride home:

Have a pillow and lap blanket for the car-ride home.

Fill scripts before coming home so you won't have to stop on the way

What to organize at home:

Consider getting something like the The Shower Shirt, a patented, post-surgical, water resistant garment designed to protect chest surgery patients, including mastectomy, while showering. Use code BCO for 20% off www.theshowershirt.com

Get a manicure and pedicure before your surgery, and a hair cut.

Before surgery, practice washing your hair, with or without help, with your elbows not moved away from your chest---either over the kitchen sink, using the spray or if your doc will allow, in the shower.

Or, arrange with your hair dresser to do your hair after you get home and cannot stand it any longer -- get someone to drive you.

Move commonly used items, kitchen tools, etc to low shelves before surgery

Find NON child-proof caps for meds.

Neosporin.

Arrange all post surgery robes, pj's, button down shirts and hoodies on a rack in one easy to reach place so you can dress myself easily the first couple of weeks without rummaging through my closet.

Bendy straws

Paper cups and light weight coffee cups for at home

Extra sheets to keep in rotation

Lots of pillows or a wedge or two!

A travel neck pillow - 'C' shaped - for keeping neck from getting a crick after sleeping in a recliner.

Tiny travel buckwheat pillows, or other small pillows.

Put an egg crate mattress on top of mattress and use a long body pillow.

Medical gloves (latex free or powder free)

Small kitchen garbage bags for dressing disposals

A little plastic waste can for at home

Find NON child-proof caps for meds

Lanyard (like for ID cards) for holding drains, Fanny pack for drains, or a camisole, or nurses can make a necklace from IV tubing to hold drains in shower. An old neck tie to use as a lanyard to hang my drains on while I shower. Works like a charm

A shower chair and a hand held shower nozzle. 3M Nexcare tagaderm transparent bandage over the port where it exited my skin when I showered. Also, have a lanyard to use for your drains in the shower. I just clip the safety pins on the lanyard clip for while I shower. It seems a little heavy on my neck while I shower, but I take it off right after I shower.

Get a humidifier for home if your air is dry.

Grabbers! These are about 23 inches long, have a handle that you sqeeze, and the end clamps on stuff on the floor. GREAT for pulling up your pants when you can't bend over, or picking up stuff that you drop, (like the toilet paper, etc!) I needed two of these, as I dropped the grabber! Great for pulling the wash basket along, too!

Make sure to get safety pins, makes it easier to pin your drain tube to your pjs.

Size 1 baby diapers, sanitary napkins or nursing pads for open breast incisions.

A small step stool has been a great tool to help me get in and out of bed

Make sure there's food premade that you don't need to fuss with (sandwiches/salads in individual servings), and also keep those drinks handy.

Cook some of my favorite foods and even ordered a couple takeouts from my fav restaurants to be on hand when I got hungry.

Purchase smaller sizes of soda/juice/milk.

Stock up on heavy items (laundry soap, dry dog food, bottled water, sodas) for 2-3 months! Remember to fill up smaller containers that are easier to pick up.

Put your shampoo, conditioner, and body soap in trial size bottles so they are easier to manage and lighter.

Stock up on stuff near bed - tissues, water, magazines, lots of pillows of all sizes, medicine, remote control.

Recliner or hospital bed- can be ordered from medical supply companies.

Drain solving problem: Zip-up hoodies or robes with pockets, I cut a slit on the inside material and popped the drains in from the inside. No one even knows they are there. It looks a little bulky, but much better than the drains hanging on my neck from a lanyard.

If you have someone a the house helping you out, when you need them call from your cell phone to the house phone or vice versa. It was so much easier than trying to yell from upstairs.

Get Netflix or rent movies.

Have an insulated cup for drinking and book and lamp by the bed.

Have someone pour milk, juice, etc from big gallon jugs into smaller containers and leave on an easy-to-reach shelf.

If a can of something needed opening, have someone do it before they leave.

This thread started me thinking about what my husband/partner will need. So I am starting a basket of "surprises" for him. A friend is bringing it to the hospital to give to him after I am in surgery.

iTunes gift card - so he can dowload a book on tape, music, movie, whatever

roll of quarters - for the pop machine

deck of cards - surgery is supposed to be 8 - 10 hours. He can play cards with whoever shows up

remote control car -pure silliness but he will think it is fun!

box of Special K meal bars - at least he will have something semi-healthy to snack on

chapstick - hospital environments can be very drying

bottle of special single malt scotch - something he would never buy for himself, but will appreciate very much when he gets home

travel blanket - hospital can get cold

framed picture of the two of us

tissues

Dx 1/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 37 of 38 (1,112 results)

Posts 1081 - 1110 (1,112 total)

Jun 3, 2020 02:41PM Tiffin68 wrote:

MinusTwo-Yes, I am having a BMX. Not sure why I put DMX. I'm going to say I have chemo brain. I definitely have the pillows covered. I am a side sleeper as well so this is going to be interesting.

I have been so focused on getting through chemo I just started getting anxious about my surgery and radiation. Any pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 3, 2020 02:48PM MinusTwo wrote:

Tiffin - there really are some great hints in the header of this thread & previous posts.

I didn't have loose button up shirts so I bought a couple of inexpensive men's 2nds at places like TJ Max. You definitely won't want to lift your arms above shoulder height for awhile. So move things you need on top shelves down lower. And if you buy big quantities - like a gallon of milk - you may want to split into two container so it's not too heavy.

My doc let me shower as long as I covered the incisions & the drain holes. I used Glad Press N' Seal. I wrapped it around my chest and nothing ever got wet. (tip from a friend with a broken leg). I did use a shower chair and a hand held shower for the first couple of times.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 3, 2020 03:02PM Tiffin68 wrote:

MinusTwo - I have started a shopping list of things I need to buy. I am going to see about ordering some shirts online. Great idea about putting things in smaller containers.

I received my post-op instructions yesterday. My surgeon will let me shower every other day. Thanks for the Glad Press N' Seal. I will add it to my list. I'm also going to check into the shower chair. My parents may have one.

Thank you so much for the responses!

Jun 3, 2020 03:10PM MinusTwo wrote:

Tiffin - I came home in a surgery bra and they gave me an extra one. I used light day panty liners over the incisions (they stick to the inside of the bra) so I didn't have to tape anything.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 3, 2020 03:53PM Tiffin68 wrote:

MinusTwo-I will add light day panty liners to my list. The surgeon's office did mention a surgery bra. I will make sure to ask them about that at my pre-op appointment next week.

Jun 17, 2020 10:01AM MinusTwo wrote:

bumping

Jun 17, 2020 06:32PM MinusTwo wrote:

As with the chemo thread - bumping this again to keep it visable.

Aug 14, 2020 07:05PM MinusTwo wrote:

Bumping for Living

Sep 5, 2020 04:50PM LivinLife wrote:

I would add a mesh fanny pack type thing you can buy on Amazon - it works wonderfully in the shower!

Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Sep 17, 2020 08:30PM MinusTwo wrote:

And along with the chemo tips - bumping this surgery "to do" tip list to keep it active.

Sep 17, 2020 09:06PM fightingmama wrote:

Thank you MinusTwo! I so need this to prepare for my mom's surgery next month.

Sep 18, 2020 07:17PM MinusTwo wrote:

You're welcome. So much good info on the BCO boards.

Sep 27, 2020 02:13PM MinusTwo wrote:

bumpint for kdholt

Oct 5, 2020 09:48PM MinusTwo wrote:

TIme to bump again. Great information

Oct 31, 2020 12:31PM MinusTwo wrote:

Bumping for Halloween. If you have surgery coming up, check it out.

Nov 10, 2020 04:55PM MinusTwo wrote:

Bumping for newbies

Nov 10, 2020 08:54PM Askmissa wrote:

I made a bunch of videos on how I prepared for my double mastectomy and reconstruction. I share my experience and recovery. Many women have found these videos helpful if you want to check them out - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0i-WxYB_8kNACLA52_p4SFdwEy_WA411

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 8/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Nov 13, 2020 10:30AM mtspacekace wrote:

looking for some advice... Buying some zip front bras, and don’t know what size to get. I’m having a double mastectomy with expanders. Should I go up a cup size? I assume there will be swelling?? Or get one the size I should be, and one bigger??

Diagnosed at 38. Dog mom. Wife. Rancher turned warrior, currently busy kicking cancers ass. Dx 6/3/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 6/3/2020, IDC, Left, 2cm, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 7/6/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/7/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 7/7/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 12/15/2020 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Nov 13, 2020 12:00PM SpecialK wrote:

mtspacekace - I would ask your plastic surgeon what their wishes are, if you havent already - you will likely leave the hospital in a surgical bra or surgical camisole. I woke up after a skin and nipple sparing BMX with expanders in a camisole with drain pouches. I never wore a front zip bra, rather stayed in the camisole and then moved to no bra for a bit until my incisions, which were in the IMF where the bottom band of the bra was, were not painful. I then wore Coobie bras because they have a lightly padded modesty shield in the cup that helped with shape, and had no hooks, were stretchy and comfy. I could step into the bra and pull it up, so it was easy to put on. I know that many wear the Fruit of the Loom front zips, and I would allow space for bandaging and swelling, so at least one size bigger than normal if you go that route.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

Nov 17, 2020 11:16PM MinusTwo wrote:

bumping per request

Dec 13, 2020 04:08PM KMouse wrote:

Anyone have a "packing list" suggestion for same day surgery? With COVID - they are going to try and send me home right after the mastectomy. EVERYTHING talks about a hospital stay. My surgeon says they've been doing this all year but cannot find anything (please share if you have) about going home same day and what to pack /' expect / etc. I'm trying to piece this together. . . Probably over anxious but notice I turn off anytime I see about a hospital stay, saying well that doesn't apply to me & try to read on. I will try to go bakc and re-read but would appreciate some help!

Dec 13, 2020 05:07PM Jt3 wrote:

I would pack for a stay in case there are any complications. They wanted to send me home after one night but I stayed two since I have never seen blood pressure numbers so high and felt awful. They prescribed opiods for pain meds which I am allergic to

Dx 1/2/2018, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/21/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Dec 13, 2020 05:31PM - edited Dec 13, 2020 05:32PM by MinusTwo

I agree with Jt3. Hopefully all will be well, but you never know. Obviously if you have someone who could bring you things later, you could leave out things like pictures of your family and you probably only need one 'book'.

For ease, you could just read the 'header'. You'd miss some suggestions from later posters, but you'd get the gist and could easily eliminate long term stuff. Good luck.

Edited to say, there are things on the list that you WILL want at home so don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Dec 14, 2020 10:08AM SuQu31 wrote:

KMouse, I agree that being prepared for possibly staying overnight is a good idea. I had some bleeding that looked suspicious, so was taken back to surgery around midnight the night of my surgery. That's unlikely, but best to prepare your mind for the possibility. I would say leave that stuff in your vehicle, but not sure they could get it to you if needed?

Having said that, I packed as little as possible for the hospital itself. Did not want to keep up with it. You just don't need that much stuff because by the time you are feeling well enough to use it, they will send you home. Do have a pillow to use with the seatbelt going home, but it can be left in the car.

At home, the things I used the most (that I did not have before) were hand-held shower, shower stool and a mesh “Fanny pack" for my drains in the shower. You can find it on Amazon. I also used waitress aprons (amazon) to hold the drains and my glasses, phone, etc.at home. Having the drains and bulbs in the pockets kept them still (you don't want those drains to move because it hurts), and it was easier for me than buying something with pockets big enough for 4 drain bulbs. I had drains for several weeks because of my 2nd surgery (see my signature below) and the aprons really helped.

Re-excision for close anterior margin 10 days after BMX. Dx 10/31/2018, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 12/10/2018, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 12/10/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Surgery 12/20/2018 Surgery 9/13/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant

Jan 8, 2021 05:34PM MinusTwo wrote:

bumping for DH

Feb 3, 2021 08:41PM MinusTwo wrote:

February so time to bump again. Great info

Feb 4, 2021 05:40AM Moderators wrote:

Thank you for bumping! This thread is truly helpul! ThumbsUpWinking

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Feb 5, 2021 03:10AM - edited Feb 5, 2021 03:11AM by Joan272021

I'm a planner too and had purchased two zip front sports bras in preparation for a central lumpectomy. I had a mastectomy with tissue expander placement instead and was surprised when my BS said no bras. The hospital gave me one Velcro front camisole with pockets for drains. On day two at home I started searching for soft zip or snap or Velcro front closure tank tops or camisoles so I could have multiple options and was surprised to not find great options. The style I got from the hospital costs around $60 and the fabric isn't really the softest. I finally found a snap front tank that I've ordered a couple of and am waiting for. I expect I'll wear them for a while under other button or zip up tops and jackets while I have the TE. I wish I'd known beforehand of this need and had them already. I plan to pin my remaining drain until it's removed. They're pricier than I wanted but look to be just what I was looking for. Never thought something so simple would be hard to find

Dx 11/6/2020, DCIS/Paget's, Left, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes Surgery 1/26/2021 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement

Feb 6, 2021 09:30AM flashlight wrote:

https://thebrobe.com/collections/comfortable-bras

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Feb 6, 2021 10:10AM Nsbrown54 wrote:

Joan272021 - here’s a link to some post surgery bras. https://americanbreastcare.com/product/leisure-bra/

Amazon carries Yianna Bras.

Dx 6/22/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 6/28/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/18/2020 Mastectomy Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2020 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 1/4/2021 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/26/2021 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Page 37 of 38 (1,112 results)