Topic: Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 09:35PM - edited Feb 26, 2013 12:57AM by ToriGirl

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 09:35PM - edited Feb 26, 2013 12:57AM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

WELCOME TO THE LUMPECTOMY LOUNGE!

I've searched and searched BC.org and couldn't find a specific post just for those of us who have had lumpectomies (unless there was one and it got buried).  So, I thought that it was about time that we had our own place that we can come to...where we can discuss, ask questions, tell stories, seek advice, give comfort, give high fives and do the happy dance...and just feel free to let out our thoughts about the things that we have all gone through (or all currently going through, or about to go through).

Some of you have just had lumpectomies..some of you lumpectomies plus radiation, others have had lumpectomies, chemo and radiation, and still others who have had the lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and hormonal therapy.  We've all got stories...and with those stories we have questions and concerns and this is the place to put them.....so we can hear from others that have "been there, done that" and can give us a different perspective on all of it.

Let's reach as many folks as we can...I know that there are many out there that are asking, " Is this normal?  Should this be numb?  How am I supposed to sleep after surgery? When does it get better?  Do I need to call the doctor? Should this feel like this?" How is the "new normal" going to feel?  "How am I going to get through the next mammogram or MRI?"

Maybe some of you need some reassurance, maybe some of you need to know that there are others of us out there that can help...and still maybe some of you just need to scream, "My doctor didn't tell me that!"or "This sucks!" or just some nice "choice" words...  

Don't worry...we get it...we understand it...

Weather you are waiting to have your surgery, just got a lumpectomy last week or you got one years ago...share your knowledge and experiences here...

There is no limit to what we can talk about!  :)

Ready?  GO!

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 24 of 2,837 (28,361 results)

Apr 20, 2013 10:25PM LaurieParr wrote:

Hi my friends,

Well, it's been one month since my DX and absence of my HRT. I still have not gotten any answers about help for the symptoms of menopause. I have no ovaries and was told due to the ER+/PR+ I can never have any estrogen or progesterone in any form again.

Do any of you Lumpies have any advice or experience with what might help with the hot flashes and depression?

Blessings,

Laurie

"My kids are my life. They are my purpose." Dx 3/21/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 5/27/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 6/5/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/15/2013 Breast Dx 0/1 nodes

Apr 21, 2013 06:24AM april485 wrote:

LaurieParr, I have heard that some docs prescribe Effexor for this? I could be wrong. I am post meno and have been for 7 years so I already was used to this (not fun for sure) and never took HRT but I still have all of my pieces and parts in there so I would not know how you are feeling. I guess your Medical Onc is the only one who can tell you what you can do to help it. Call them first. Hugs and best to you.

"Fear has been a huge dictator in my life - so I am trying to stage a coup!" ~ a friend Dx 1/30/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/10/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/21/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 21, 2013 09:03AM auntienance wrote:

I am taking effexor for hot flashes. It has been a life saver for me.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 21, 2013 10:00AM LaurieParr wrote:

Thank you April and Auntienance,

Yes, Effexor is what I have heard as well. I was put on it for depression years ago and hated it. I swore I would never take another anit-depressant ever again. Of course, now THIS is a different situation.  Hmmmm...I guess I will have to see just how much I can stand with the hot flashes sans meds.

Your feedback is so helpful to me. Thank you my ladies.....

Love and light to you all.

XOXOXO

Laurie

"My kids are my life. They are my purpose." Dx 3/21/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 5/27/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 6/5/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/15/2013 Breast Dx 0/1 nodes

Apr 21, 2013 10:48AM swim_girl wrote:

LaurieParr, I have a friend who is on Tamoxifen and taking Gabapentin for hot flashes. I don't know much about it, but drugs.com says it is an anti-epileptic medication, so I'm guessing it's pretty strong.

I wanted to avoid Effexor as well and have been going to acpuncture for side effects. I've also cut back significantly on alcohol and sugar and am trying to increase how much exercise I get.

Dx 4/19/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/13/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 6/18/2012 Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/26/2012

Apr 21, 2013 10:53AM slv58 wrote:

I'm on gabapentin, but for SE with docetaxol-bad thigh bone pain. To be honest, it does nothing for pain, but makes me sleepy. I have noticed diminished hot flashes while on it, but they never really bothered me.

Shari "my clouds are always silver" Chemotherapy 1/22/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/6/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/4/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 3/9/2015 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 4/21/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Apr 21, 2013 11:09AM - edited Apr 21, 2013 11:11AM by RMlulu

Good Morning Lumpies!

Debbiema - congrats on your lx! Glad everything went well :). Keeping those fingers&toes crossed for clear margins and nodes! Savor the moments ...sending calm healing thoughts your way:)))

LaurieParr - glad you are reading the book...it was very helpful for me. I'm very visual and kinetic so I took a ruler and marked out size of my T and then colored the required margins and then set it out where I could see it with 'my God is bigger than'. Really reinforced for me how small ... in perspective.
I've found exercise, layers, de stressing, and setting priorities 'just say no' helped me with hot flashes...and laughter. Keep the house like an iceberg helps too! Nothing worst than everyone asking if you ok are the conference table as you flash...and can't get up because of the sweat imprint on the leather chair...oh my:(. Made it without meds and everyone is still alive...
So ask your MO and keep asking until you have the right meds...
Nyama - yippee your another day post lx and healing. Enjoy this time and be good to yourself. Have some fun and build up your strength. Make it a no c time. Then when the time comes for the next step you will be strong...best wishes on your path results warrior:)
Encylias - hope you are resting and healing too! I'm pinching you((())) yes! All the journey has gotten you to this well deserve point:). Well done brave warrior! Yippee:)))
April - girl your girl is up! You so got this:))) sending you calming soothing healing thoughts! You will race through your week of rads fierce warrior!
Today is family day:). Excited it refills my tank and its so much fun to have all there...will help me get through the last 6 rads. Counting down. Once rads are done and RO & MO sign off I'm headed home to Horseshoe Bay! Yippee:)))
(((Hugs)))
Cindy

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/13/2013 Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 21, 2013 03:20PM LaurieParr wrote:

Thank you ladies....gathering info!

Hope your Sunday is wonderful!

XOXOXO

Laurie

Apr 21, 2013 07:34PM schoolmom wrote:

Hello to all.  I had my lumpectomy 9/28.  About 1 cm, clear margins and micro mets in one sentinel node.  Then had 4 treatments of chemo from Nov to Jan.  My onco type was 21 but I decided to go for it.  Had 33 sessions of rads from Jan to mid March.  Now I am on Arimidex, hormone blocker.

Been through it all if anyone wants info.

saved my hair with cold caps with oncotype 21 Dx 9/12/2012, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 9/28/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/5/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/28/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/21/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/6/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver Targeted Therapy 12/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Targeted Therapy 12/1/2017 Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Apr 21, 2013 08:49PM RMlulu wrote:

Hi Schoolmom - welcome and congrats on your fight brave warrior! You threw some mighty hard punches and kicks! How did your skin do during last rounds of rads? How is HT? Any SEs? Any pearls of wisdom for us we lumpies? ((( hugs)))
Cindy

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/13/2013 Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Page 24 of 2,837 (28,361 results)

Scroll to top button